Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The (un)official Doctor Who thread

Posted by mistress rotwang 
The (un)official Doctor Who thread
May 15, 2017
I just realized that a lot of people here are also Whovians so I thought it would be a good idea to start up a Doctor Who discussion thread.

So I just finished watching the latest episode and holy fucking hell the last 30 seconds were one of the biggest gut punches I have ever seen on Doctor Who (or any other TV show). It is amazing how good of an actor Capaldi is, and the depth of emotion that he can put into his voice. I am not going to spoil it but holy shit I am now completely invested in the rest of this season. Not just because Michelle G.omez is going to be back (she is the only childed person that I have a full on crush on).

As an aside, I also found two people to put on the list of childfree celebrities: Anthony Ainley and Roger Delgado.

So yeah, let the Doctor Who craziness begin.
Re: The (un)official Doctor Who thread
May 15, 2017
What the fuck? It turned part of my thread into random symbols. Did I just find another banned word?
May 15, 2017
mistress rotwang
What the fuck? It turned part of my thread into random symbols. Did I just find another banned word?

Usually due to some particular troll, or because the word that is banned forms part of the word. Just adding a . or space usually solves the issue.
May 15, 2017
I have to agree, the latest episode was really good, and I enjoyed "Knock Knock" as well. Both were big improvements over "Thin Ice" (I think that was the title). I'm also looking forward to Michelle G.omez's return, though the announcement of John Simm's return has me groaning and rolling my eyes; I thought his portrayal of the Master was atrocious. Still, I'm enjoying this season quite a bit overall, as Capaldi continues to blow me away with his fantastic acting, and I also really like Pearl Mackie and Matt Lucas. Looking forward to next week's episode!
May 15, 2017
I know. "Thin Ice" felt like a retread of "The Beast Below". It had one good scene ( where Bill asked the Doctor how many people he has killed) but I was unconvinced by the villain who was very one dimensional. Honestly, if Capaldi didn't look so damn good in that episode it would have been bad. I feel like even though the character interactions and dialogue are top notch the overall stories are uninspired.

I am also cringing at the return of Simms. He is my least favorite regeneration of the Master. He is so annoying and over the top. I also don't see how his character traits fit in with how the Master was portrayed in the Classic series. I just don't get it. I hope he regenerates because Missy gets sick of his bullshit and shoots him.

I am amazed how much I like Nardole. He was fucking annoying in Husbands of River Song and his inclusion in the new season made me worried that it would be a shitshow. Bill is ranking with Donna as best NuWho companion (my overall favorite companion is Liz Shaw from Pertwee's first season. 3 is my favorite Doctor).
May 15, 2017
I missed the most recent episode (though I did see the wham line at the end), but I'm really enjoying this new season thus far. I absolutely LOVE Bill and it's nice to have a companion who isn't in love with the Doctor. That's what made Donna so great - her character development wasn't due to any romantic entanglements, but on her own as she finally got away from her mother and a chance to see the world (and universe!) outside of London. Both Donna and Bill weren't/aren't pushovers and easily influenced, either.

I'm not a fan of Matt Lucas, but he's not too annoying so far. I'm not too thrilled about John Simm returning and whatever hamfisted excuse they come up with to bring him back to life.

------------------------------------------------------------
"Why children take so long to grow? They eat and drink like pig and give nothing back. Must find way to accelerate process..."
- Dr. Yi Suchong, Bioshock

"Society does not need more children; but it does need more loved children. Quite literally, we cannot afford unloved children - but we pay heavily for them every day. There should not be the slightest communal concern when a woman elects to destroy the life of her thousandth-of-an-ounce embryo. But all society should rise up in alarm when it hears that a baby that is not wanted is about to be born."
- Garrett Hardin

"I feel like there's a message involved here somehow, but then I couldn't stop laughing at all the plotholes, like the part when North Korea has food."
- Youtube commentor referring to a North Korean cartoon.

"Reality is a bitch when it slowly crawls out of your vagina and shits in your lap."
- Reddit comment

"Bitch wants a baby, so we're gonna fuck now. #bareback"
- Cambion

Oh whatever. Abortion doctors are crimestoppers."
- Miss Hannigan
May 15, 2017
mistress rotwang
I know. "Thin Ice" felt like a retread of "The Beast Below". It had one good scene ( where Bill asked the Doctor how many people he has killed) but I was unconvinced by the villain who was very one dimensional. Honestly, if Capaldi didn't look so damn good in that episode it would have been bad. I feel like even though the character interactions and dialogue are top notch the overall stories are uninspired.

I am also cringing at the return of Simms. He is my least favorite regeneration of the Master. He is so annoying and over the top. I also don't see how his character traits fit in with how the Master was portrayed in the Classic series. I just don't get it. I hope he regenerates because Missy gets sick of his bullshit and shoots him.

I am amazed how much I like Nardole. He was fucking annoying in Husbands of River Song and his inclusion in the new season made me worried that it would be a shitshow. Bill is ranking with Donna as best NuWho companion (my overall favorite companion is Liz Shaw from Pertwee's first season. 3 is my favorite Doctor).

Okay, I was a bit shocked when I read this, because I agree with everything you've said, 100%! Nardole was a pleasant surprise with his shift to likeability, Donna was amazing (I love Catherine Tate in general.), I also agree with paragon's thoughts on her and Bill, and I also loved Pertwee. I saw so much of him in Capaldi's Doctor from the beginning, and that's why I love Capaldi - he's the perfect blend of ClassicWho and NuWho.

I also have to stress my agreement with what you said about Simms' Master. Missy is a fairly believable kind of crazy; Simms-Master was what fanfiction writing teenagers THINK crazy is, and you are absolutely right in saying that he didn't have any aspect of the Classic Master. I like your idea of Missy getting irritated enough to force him into regeneration.

Don't worry, I promise I'll try to say something original/not just agreeing with others in my next post.
May 15, 2017
I also think that G.omez's portrayal of the Master is much more nuanced than Simms'. With Missy you get a sense of how deeply she was affected by the Time War and the sheer hell that the Master went through as a result. She didn't have the same amount of support as the Doctor and in many ways what Gallifrey did to the Master (selling him out to the Daleks and then resurrecting him to throw him in the front lines of the Time War) was much worse than any of his bad behavior (sorry for the jumble of gender pronouns when writing about the Master). With Missy, I get much more of a sense of how damaged the Master is, and how truly alone she is. She might be a fucking psychopath but I do have sympathy for her ( the scene in the graveyard in the end of Death in Heaven almost made me cry because of how desperate she was to not continue to be alone even though she would never admit to it). Simms is just fucking crazy and there no depth to that version of the character.

i like that Missy looks like an incredibly refined lady even though she is a bit raunchy at times. I like the dichotomy of a character that appears to be refined and in control. It reminds me of Delgado!Master in that on the surface he was incredibly refined and could be quite charming when he wanted to be, and I like that Missy has that same sense. Fuck, she was able to swindle a bunch of rich people out of money to turn them into Cybermen so she had to be able to turn off being bananas.

With regards to companions having romantic thoughts about the Doctor, I had no problem with his relationship with Rose. I saw her as s bit of a midlife crisis for the Doctor. He just pressed the big red button (or at least he thought that he did) and he wanted to feel desirable and loved again. Amy and Martha were cringe worthy with how obsessed they were with the Doctor (especially Amy when you consider that she is his MIL).

I also hope that the event that happened at the end of Oxygen doesn't get resolved until Capaldi's regeneration. I like the idea of the Doctor being incredibly weakened in that way, and how he will cope with it. It isn't something that has been explored before with the character of the Doctor, and I don't want to see it get hand waved away. It has the potential to be incredibly compelling.
May 16, 2017
And Michelle G.omez is leaving Doctor Who after this season is over. Why? First Capaldi and now her. Insert mini freak out here.
May 16, 2017
I liked Rose, but the trope of the companion being in love with the Doctor got old quickly after her. That's why Donna was a breath of fresh air (and the fact that Catherine Tate has fantastic platonic chemistry with David Tennant; I can't wait to see them in June!). And after Amy and Clara, Bill is another relief, especially when they characterized her in a way that would make her falling in love with him stupid and kind of problematic.

With Rose, a lot of complaints is about how possessive and immature she is towards the Doctor, but 1.) the Doctor didn't tell her about any of his past companions until Sarah Jane showed up and 2.) Rose was a 19-year old whose life consisted of day-to-day drudgery and suddenly this handsome humanoid alien shows up with an offer to take her traveling across universes. So I can't really blame her.

Hopefully Twelve doesn't put Bill in a shitty position like Ten did Martha in Human Nature/Family of Blood. Ten left Martha essentially trapped in an incredibly racist and sexist era. The Doctor tends to be dismissive of the valid concerns of his WoC companions about time travel, but we saw in that two-parter what could happen (especially with a Doctor who is absorbed in his John Smith persona and thinks being the Doctor is just fantasies he made up). If I had been Martha, I'd be spitting nails at the Doctor at the end of it.

Doctor Who is going to be interesting after the Capaldi era. New Doctor and new showrunner. I like Broadchurch, of which Chibnall was head writer, so I'm tentatively positive of what he's going to bring to Doctor Who.

"Why children take so long to grow? They eat and drink like pig and give nothing back. Must find way to accelerate process..."

"Society does not need more children; but it does need more loved children. Quite literally, we cannot afford unloved children - but we pay heavily for them every day. There should not be the slightest communal concern when a woman elects to destroy the life of her thousandth-of-an-ounce embryo. But all society should rise up in alarm when it hears that a baby that is not wanted is about to be born."
- Garrett Hardin

"I feel like there's a message involved here somehow, but then I couldn't stop laughing at all the plotholes, like the part when North Korea has food."

"Reality is a bitch when it slowly crawls out of your vagina and shits in your lap."
- Reddit comment

- Cambion

- Miss Hannigan
May 18, 2017
paragon schnitzophonic
I liked Rose, but the trope of the companion being in love with the Doctor got old quickly after her. That's why Donna was a breath of fresh air (and the fact that Catherine Tate has fantastic platonic chemistry with David Tennant; I can't wait to see them in June!). And after Amy and Clara, Bill is another relief, especially when they characterized her in a way that would make her falling in love with him stupid and kind of problematic.

With Rose, a lot of complaints is about how possessive and immature she is towards the Doctor, but 1.) the Doctor didn't tell her about any of his past companions until Sarah Jane showed up and 2.) Rose was a 19-year old whose life consisted of day-to-day drudgery and suddenly this handsome humanoid alien shows up with an offer to take her traveling across universes. So I can't really blame her.

Hopefully Twelve doesn't put Bill in a shitty position like Ten did Martha in Human Nature/Family of Blood. Ten left Martha essentially trapped in an incredibly racist and sexist era. The Doctor tends to be dismissive of the valid concerns of his WoC companions about time travel, but we saw in that two-parter what could happen (especially with a Doctor who is absorbed in his John Smith persona and thinks being the Doctor is just fantasies he made up). If I had been Martha, I'd be spitting nails at the Doctor at the end of it.

Doctor Who is going to be interesting after the Capaldi era. New Doctor and new showrunner. I like Broadchurch, of which Chibnall was head writer, so I'm tentatively positive of what he's going to bring to Doctor Who.

It is time for unpopular opinion mode: 10 is my least favorite Doctor. He always came across as a smug douchebag to me. Which is unfortunate because he was in some of the best episodes. And the fan girls always pissed my of (especially since they bitch about Capaldi being too old and shit). 10 was best when Donna kept him from being a giant ass.

I hope that we finally get a woman Doctor. Or at least a Doctor that isn't a pasty white dude. The BBC needs to just grow a pair and let a certain toxic minority of the fandom deal with it.
May 18, 2017
mistress rotwang
It is time for unpopular opinion mode: 10 is my least favorite Doctor. He always came across as a smug douchebag to me. Which is unfortunate because he was in some of the best episodes. And the fan girls always pissed my of (especially since they bitch about Capaldi being too old and shit). 10 was best when Donna kept him from being a giant ass.

Okay, are you telepathic? Because by saying all of this, it's like you're reading my mind! 10 is...I wouldn't say my least favorite, but that's also taking the Classic Doctors into account; he is very low on my list. You're spot on with the "smug douchebag" part, and I feel that's best shown in the episode "Love and Monsters." I mean, that was a complete pile of garbage altogether, but for me it just hit the garbage summit at the end when 10 shows up. Basically, you have these people whose lives have been either ended or ruined just because they were curious about the Doctor, and what does he do when he finally shows up? BERATES THEM! He basically says, "HEY! You made the mother of the girl I'm trying to get with cry, and now the girl's pissy! I don't care what's happening right now with the Worst Designed Villain Ever™! My talking down to you is more important!"

You are 100% correct in saying that Donna kept that shit in check.
May 18, 2017
Aesirson
mistress rotwang

Okay, are you telepathic? Because by saying all of this, it's like you're reading my mind! 10 is...I wouldn't say my least favorite, but that's also taking the Classic Doctors into account; he is very low on my list. You're spot on with the "smug douchebag" part, and I feel that's best shown in the episode "Love and Monsters." I mean, that was a complete pile of garbage altogether, but for me it just hit the garbage summit at the end when 10 shows up. Basically, you have these people whose lives have been either ended or ruined just because they were curious about the Doctor, and what does he do when he finally shows up? BERATES THEM! He basically says, "HEY! You made the mother of the girl I'm trying to get with cry, and now the girl's pissy! I don't care what's happening right now with the Worst Designed Villain Ever™! My talking down to you is more important!"

Hmm. Here is the final test. I like 6 and think that if he weren't given the shit coat and bad writing he would have lasted as long as the other Baker. I am also bored by 5 and I put up with his episodes because he is easy on the eyes. And I ship Doctor/Master.
May 18, 2017
mistress rotwang
Aesirson
mistress rotwang

Hmm. Here is the final test. I like 6 and think that if he weren't given the shit coat and bad writing he would have lasted as long as the other Baker. I am also bored by 5 and I put up with his episodes because he is easy on the eyes. And I ship Doctor/Master.

Well, unfortunately, I've never seen anything with 6, so I can't really say. All I know is that it seems like fans either love him or hate him. I do like 4/Baker, but I'm not a rabid fan like a lot of Classic people seem to be. My favorites from Classic are 1 and 3. I don't think 5 was bad, but I can understand your being bored; his stories (from what I've seen, which isn't much) weren't the most exciting, but I did like his look (celery included). As for shipping, I don't really ship anyone, but I'm in no way opposed to the Doctor/Master idea. It could be very interesting.
May 19, 2017
Aesirson
mistress rotwang
Aesirson
mistress rotwang

Well, unfortunately, I've never seen anything with 6, so I can't really say. All I know is that it seems like fans either love him or hate him. I do like 4/Baker, but I'm not a rabid fan like a lot of Classic people seem to be. My favorites from Classic are 1 and 3. I don't think 5 was bad, but I can understand your being bored; his stories (from what I've seen, which isn't much) weren't the most exciting, but I did like his look (celery included). As for shipping, I don't really ship anyone, but I'm in no way opposed to the Doctor/Master idea. It could be very interesting.

If you like 1 and 3 then you will probably like 6. He can be a bit of a pompous, snobby asshole, but so can 3. However, he is only like that to people who deserve it (unlike 10 who is just a douche).

I have no problem with the celery. Apparently Peter Davidson hates celery. I can see the costume person giving it to him as a joke that sort of stuck. Besides, with how much the Doctor obsessed over food he needs to always keep snacks close at hand. (12 has been particularly food focused this season).

With regards to Doctor/Master I see them as the Time Lord equivalent of the couple that constantly fights and throws plates at one another and pisses the neighbors off with their fucking drama. And they pick fights when they are bored or if shit gets too quiet (and they are both easily bored so they have to cause shit). They are also a bit codependent (see The 5 Doctors where the Master says that a universe without the Doctor is not worth contemplating), the Master has control issues (obviously), and the Doctor is immature and flighty. They are both egotistical bastards. So it isn't the healthiest relationship. Especially when they are in regenerations that don't get along.
May 19, 2017
To threadjack my own thread, this weekend I had to explain what "shipping" was to my conservative aunt. I mentioned offhand that I ship Trump/Putin Fed-Ex Express and she was so fucking confused by what that statement meant. I am so glad that she doesn't use the internet or I would have had to deal with a total clusterfuck of conservative aunt related buggery.
May 19, 2017
I haven't finished Classic Who yet (hopefully it's still on Hulu). I'm only partway through the First Doctor.

Five kind of strikes me as the Country Club Doctor, in looks and dress. Like he's ready for a game of croquet.

I do like Ten, but I really wish we had more time with Nine. I feel like his story wasn't finished yet. Eleven was too manic for me.

On another subject, I like River Song, but I feel like her timeline was poorly mapped out and a bit of a waste of Alex Kingston (who I've loved since her ER days).

- Garrett Hardin

- Reddit comment

- Cambion

- Miss Hannigan
May 19, 2017
paragon schnitzophonic
I haven't finished Classic Who yet (hopefully it's still on Hulu). I'm only partway through the First Doctor.

Five kind of strikes me as the Country Club Doctor, in looks and dress. Like he's ready for a game of croquet.

I do like Ten, but I really wish we had more time with Nine. I feel like his story wasn't finished yet. Eleven was too manic for me.

On another subject, I like River Song, but I feel like her timeline was poorly mapped out and a bit of a waste of Alex Kingston (who I've loved since her ER days).

Classic Who isn't on Hulu. I got them here:

https://www.ioffer.com/ratings/happysmilenshop/doctor-who-classic-1963-1989-series-complete-dvd-580628652
May 19, 2017
Dammit! It used to be on Hulu!

- Garrett Hardin

- Reddit comment

- Cambion

- Miss Hannigan
May 19, 2017
paragon schnitzophonic
Dammit! It used to be on Hulu!

The BBC started up a new streaming service so it was probably the only way to get people to subscribe to it. Fuck getting jerked around. People wonder why piracy is so common (disclaimer: don't pirate shit especially if you don't know what you are doing. It is bad).
May 21, 2017
As far as Classic Dr. Who...I imprinted on 4 when I was a wee child. So Tom Baker will always have a place in my heart. I loved that they had him as the curator in Day of The Doctor.

10 was all right. Donna was the best companion for him because she was the most real character, with an arc based on her life and her decisions about what she wanted to do. She called The Doctor out on his shit. She had no romantic designs on him at all, and was just out to see things and learn things and figure out her life. Heartbreaking that she didn't get to keep all that in the end.

11 annoyed the hell out of me. He wasn't just too goofy...I don't mind goofy. 11 was a special kind of try-hard, self-conscious goofy that grated on me. He wound up with Amy Pond, who didn't push back. Can you imagine what Donna would have done with 11?

Honestly, out of the new Who series...I have a soft spot for 9. I think Christopher Eccleston did a nice job showing the conflict and darkness The Doctor was dealing with at the time. Such a shame he didn't stick around longer.

Here's a question for all of your: who would you cast as The Doctor after Peter Capaldi? I think Olivia Colman would do well. Tilda Swinton might make a good Doctor as well. Paterson Joseph is good, too.
May 21, 2017
I want either Olivia Colman, Hayley Atwell, or Tatiana Mosley (even though she is Canadian but Orphan Black proved her range and acting ability). I would also like to see McGann get another chance as the Doctor. But I will be very disappointed if the next Doctor is a pasty white bloke. Swinton would be awesome but she is too expensive and has too many other commitments.

I am torn on 11. There are moments where he was awesome and other times he was annoying. He was at his best when it seemed like he was acting like a goof because he didn't want to deal with all of the pain and heartbreak he had to go through.

I want Idris Elba to be the next Master. That would be epic.

Honestly, 10 was my first Doctor which is surprising since I don't like 10. 4 was my first classic Doctor but 3 is too awesome (and Delgado so... yeah) not to be my favorite. And that hair and those clothes.
May 22, 2017
Oh, I figure that Swinton is too expensive and too hard to schedule. I'm going purely on who I think would be awesome and/or have a really cool take on the character.

Hayley Atwell would be awesome as well.

And I agree with you on McGann. I think giving him another shot would be cool. I think he didn't have much to go on before...but in that short they did that bridged his regeneration into the War Doctor, he was really quite good.

But really, Olivia Colman is the one who stands out in my mind. Saw her in "Broadchurch", and the different things her character dealt with in that show really impressed me.

I have a feeling, though, that they'll pick someone who's young, white, and male in an attempt to get the younger audience.
May 23, 2017
I am worried that by always sticking with young, 30 something year old white men that they are going to turn off long time Whovians. The variations between the physicality of 9 through 11 is staggeringly small. Take any three Doctors from the Classic series and they all have very distinctive looks in terms of both physical features and costuming. And all the bullshit about bringing back Matt Smith. Doctor Who needs to embrace change or else it will go through another 20 something year long drought. 12 was refreshing but they did not go far enough.

I would love to see the trope of an older male Doctor with a younger female companion subverted. Give me a young female Doctor who heavily channels the personality of 3 and 6 and put her with an older guy. Have him grow from underestimating her to realizing that she knows more than he could ever possibly imagine and that wis usually in control of the situation (or at least she will be when she is done giving speeches). Have him realize that he can be a massive gobshite especially when he talks out of his ass, and have her be the one to expand his universe. Hell, have him be going through a messy divorce and he clings onto her because he wants to run from it and have her force him to fix his shit head on (and have her deal with the hypocrisy of her always running from her problems while she makes him go directly at his). Above all else if they have any sort of romantic involvement have her be the dominant partner in not a gatekeeper sort of way (imply that she has both male and female conquests and show her acting on them in front of him). Or even better, have him be one of her conquests that she decides to keep around because she finds him interesting but make it clear that it was a one night stand sort of situation (just don't have a will they do it situation). Not going to happen but it would be awesome.

Found another woman I would want to see as the Doctor: Ruth Wilson. She played the villain in the first season of Luther. She has the right sense of both passion and coldness that would make a great Doctor.
May 23, 2017
I love Olivia Colman and she would continue the grand tradition of an actor/actress having a minor role on the show only to become a Doctor or companion later on (like Capaldi and Karen Gillian).

Another actress I think could pull off being the Doctor: Ruth Negga. She's Irish, so not quite British, but I think she'd count. Between her roles in Loving, Preacher, and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., she definitely has the ability for the complex range of emotions that characterizes the Doctor.

- Garrett Hardin

- Reddit comment

- Cambion

- Miss Hannigan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login