Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The (un)official Doctor Who thread

Posted by mistress rotwang 
Re: The (un)official Doctor Who thread
May 24, 2017
I think that what would make Olivia Colman great is that she can look either very masculine or very feminine depending on hair and makeup. I would like the first female Doctor start out very masculine in appearance and mannerisms and grow more feminine in dress and appearance as her character develops. I think after a few thousand years being male would make the Doctor be all sorts of confused about fashion (and he is very fashion challenged to begin with. Melted Skittles coat, anyone?). 3, 9, 10, 11, and 12 are the only ones who knew how to dress themselves without looking like complete asses.

Ireland is close enough. There would probably be fucking riots if an American is cast. Especially since people still bitch that the 1996 movie was too Americanized.
May 24, 2017
Colman does have the versatility in appearance. I think she's also good at characters that have a lot of complex and/or conflicting stuff going on. I know, that's the essence of good acting...characters without contradictions and internal conflict aren't that interesting. But Colman is very good at the microexpressions that allow those conflicting ideas to surface without making it look like acting. It comes across as just how people emote/try not to emote when dealing with stuff.

I came across a suggestions of Rupert Grint, and all I could think was "oh god no".
May 30, 2017
Well, I didn't buy the photo-op with David Tennant because it was either him or Stan Lee and Stan Lee is 96, so this will likely be my only opportunity to meet the creator of Marvel. But I'm still going to get an autograph from DT and I bought the Catherine Tate VIP tickets, so I get a photo and autograph from her.

------------------------------------------------------------
"Why children take so long to grow? They eat and drink like pig and give nothing back. Must find way to accelerate process..."
- Dr. Yi Suchong, Bioshock

"Society does not need more children; but it does need more loved children. Quite literally, we cannot afford unloved children - but we pay heavily for them every day. There should not be the slightest communal concern when a woman elects to destroy the life of her thousandth-of-an-ounce embryo. But all society should rise up in alarm when it hears that a baby that is not wanted is about to be born."
- Garrett Hardin

"I feel like there's a message involved here somehow, but then I couldn't stop laughing at all the plotholes, like the part when North Korea has food."
- Youtube commentor referring to a North Korean cartoon.

"Reality is a bitch when it slowly crawls out of your vagina and shits in your lap."
- Reddit comment

"Bitch wants a baby, so we're gonna fuck now. #bareback"
- Cambion

Oh whatever. Abortion doctors are crimestoppers."
- Miss Hannigan
May 30, 2017
paragon schnitzophonic
Well, I didn't buy the photo-op with David Tennant because it was either him or Stan Lee and Stan Lee is 96, so this will likely be my only opportunity to meet the creator of Marvel. But I'm still going to get an autograph from DT and I bought the Catherine Tate VIP tickets, so I get a photo and autograph from her.

That is really cool that you are going to meet Stan Lee and Catherine Tate. I sort of can't look at David Tennant without seeing Kilgrave because he was just too good in that role.

Of any one from NuWho I would want to meet it would either be Tate or Michelle G.omez. Of anyone currently alive from Classic Who it would be Colin Baker (I know, not an obvious choice but he is awesome) or Sylvester McCoy.

If I had a time machine and could meet anyone who was in Doctor Who it would be either Delgado or Pertwee. I saw a poster for sale that was signed by both of them and if I had the cash it would be on my wall now.

@randomcfchick Rupert Grint would make a terrible Doctor. He might be good as a companion but he doesn't have the gravitas to pull of being the Doctor. It would probably kill the series if he were cast and I don't want Doctor Who to go through another long dormancy period.
July 03, 2017
Paragon, that's very cool that you'll get to meet Stan Lee and and Catherine Tate (or that you already have; it's been a while). Catherine Tate seems like a really sassy, cool lady.

YES, Rupert Grint would be a terrible Doctor for so many reasons...he simply doesn't have the acting chops.

Oh, and I thought of another one who might make a good Doctor: Chiwetel Ejiofor, also known as The Operative from the movie Serenity and Mordo from Dr. Strange. He might be able to pull it off.
July 03, 2017
Catherine Tate is such an awesome woman! I'm even more of a fan after the con. She's on the "People I would love to have a drink with" list. She's hopefully bringing her Catherine Tate Show Live tour to the USA. She's very warm and friendly and gorgeous in person.

"Why children take so long to grow? They eat and drink like pig and give nothing back. Must find way to accelerate process..."

"Society does not need more children; but it does need more loved children. Quite literally, we cannot afford unloved children - but we pay heavily for them every day. There should not be the slightest communal concern when a woman elects to destroy the life of her thousandth-of-an-ounce embryo. But all society should rise up in alarm when it hears that a baby that is not wanted is about to be born."
- Garrett Hardin

"I feel like there's a message involved here somehow, but then I couldn't stop laughing at all the plotholes, like the part when North Korea has food."

"Reality is a bitch when it slowly crawls out of your vagina and shits in your lap."
- Reddit comment

- Cambion

- Miss Hannigan
July 16, 2017
http://nerdist.com/doctor-who-jodie-whittaker-13th-thirteenth/

Soooo...they went with Jodie Whittaker for the next Doctor. I have high hopes. She's another on Broadchurch who impressed me, acting-wise, but for some reason didn't ping on my Doctor radar.

Of course, I'm still working on finishing Capaldi's run...stupid Netflix...
July 16, 2017
I was just coming here to post this!

I've only seen Jodie Whittaker in Broadchurch and an episode of Black Mirror, but I'm completely down for her being 13 (though that blonde hair...). I'm really excited now. Hopefully, they keep Bill on (I haven't caught up on the last few episodes, so I don't know what's happened after she was "upgraded").

- Garrett Hardin

- Reddit comment

- Cambion

- Miss Hannigan
July 16, 2017
I honestly haven't seen ANY of the Bill episodes (we don't get BBC America, and the Beeb fuckin' pulled Doctor Who from Netflix, grrr), so I am way behind. Seriously, I'm annoyed at companies pulling content like this...just to try and get people to sign up for their streaming service. I don't mind signing up for one or two, but I don't want to go all over to get the stuff I want. I would not be surprised if piracy rates went up after they made that move.

So...I am a season behind, I think.

I think Ms. Whittaker did great in Broadchurch.

And yeah, not sure what's up with the blonde hair. She looks better with brown or some shade of auburn. But...I am excited to see what happens.

Crossing my fingers that they'll get writers who can actually write for female characters...that's been hit and miss.
July 16, 2017
Well, Whittaker gets her Broadchurch showrunner Chris Chibnall running Doctor Who instead of Steven Moffat, so that will hopefully work in her favor.

- Garrett Hardin

- Reddit comment

- Cambion

- Miss Hannigan
July 17, 2017
If you can figure out Kodi, look for the addon Genesis Reborn and get all your shows effectively immediately after they air. I won't recommend any preinstalled "Kodi boxes" because those aren't legal everywhere. Youtube can help you get Kodi installed, and the tip I found for a working link to the addon Genesis Reborn was in a subreddit for Exodus, which seems not to be functioning anymore.

No fees anymore! And it may occasionally be a hassle to find new addons as developers seem to quit their projects pretty often. But, free! Legal mostly everywhere.
July 18, 2017
I am so excited that the Doctor is finally a woman. That is something I have wanted for years.

I think Wittacker will be excellent. Especially since she won't be bogged down by Moffat disappearing up his own anus at regular intervals. It really hurt Capaldi's run.

I am still in mourning for Missy though. Her run as the Master was amazing and I hope she comes back for a mult Master episode.
July 28, 2017
A mult master episode (or arc, even) would be great.

I'm excited to see what Whittaker does with the part, and I'm glad to see Steven Moffat depart. He wrote some good stuff (Empty Child, for example), but as a showrunner things went downhill. As I said upthread, I'm behind on Capaldi but in general it seems he just hasn't had as much to work with sometimes. Good actor, terrible writing/directing.
August 03, 2017
I have to preface this by saying I haven't seen any of the new Who, but I have seen a lot of the old ones, and as a "back in my day" fan, I'm pretty amused by the people freaking out over a female Doctor. They act like it hasn't been done before....

The Curse of Fatal Death

(At the time, Whovians referred to those actors as Doctors 9-13. Lumley was positively embraced.)
August 04, 2017
Big Finish also had an audio play with a female Doctor.

Hell, they have been talking about it since Tom Baker announced he was leaving.
August 11, 2017
mistress rotwang
Big Finish also had an audio play with a female Doctor.

Hell, they have been talking about it since Tom Baker announced he was leaving.

And yet it's a shock now. These people need to learn their own history. winking smiley
August 11, 2017
Apparently, even Peter Davidson doesn't even know his own history; he bitched about some trash of boys not having role models, as if there aren't plenty of white male heroes for little British boys to look up to. Maybe if Peter's daughter had more female role models as a child, she wouldn't have gotten knocked up at 16.

- Garrett Hardin

- Reddit comment

- Cambion

- Miss Hannigan
August 27, 2017
kittehpeoples, thanks for the reminder about the Curse of Fatal Death. I hadn't seen it in years & it's a crack-up.

I managed to get part of Peter Capaldi's final season on DVD via Netflix...I am slowly catching up...but they don't have the next disk available! Grrr, arrrrgh.
August 28, 2017
randomcfchick
kittehpeoples, thanks for the reminder about the Curse of Fatal Death. I hadn't seen it in years & it's a crack-up.

You're welcome. smiling smiley
October 20, 2017
It is like, the first Doctor Who showrunner was a badass openly childfree woman (Verity Lambert) and the first director was an Asian guy. It is like shut up and grow up and let me enjoy having a female Doctor. They should have seen it coming after Missy (even though the same assholes probably still complain that she doesn't seem like the Master even though Michelle Gom.ez's performance and chemistry with Capaldi reminds me of Delgado and Pertwee and Go.mez did an amazing job of picking up on some of Delgado's mannerisms and making it seem like an evolution of the Master).

Curse of the Fatal Death is brilliant. Makes me wish that Lumley was actually cast as the Doctor in the 80s.
October 27, 2017
Yeah, watching Missy I wondered if she'd studied Delgado. She does seem to channel him sometimes.

Well, I've made some progress in catching up on Capaldi's run in his final season, but not done yet. Bill's a cool companion.
October 30, 2017
randomcfchick
Yeah, watching Missy I wondered if she'd studied Delgado. She does seem to channel him sometimes.

Well, I've made some progress in catching up on Capaldi's run in his final season, but not done yet. Bill's a cool companion.

Well, she did grow up watching Pertwee as the Doctor. I wonder if she ever had an “oh shit, I can’t believe I am actually doing this” moment because in interviews she comes across as a huge Doctor Who fan. I know that Capaldi wanted to become an actor because of Doctor Who (he even gives fans drawings of Daleks with feet).

I adore Bill. She is one of my favorite companions, along with Liz Shaw, Donna, and Evelyn Smythe (Evelyn is a badass 55 year old history professor who travelled with 6 in the audio plays. 6 is probably the best audio play Doctor due to his chemistry with her).
November 25, 2017
Bit OT, but Jon Pertwee's son, Sean Pertwee, is quite an actor himself. Ran across him in Gotham.

The bitching about 13's costuming has already begun. Good times.
December 08, 2017
randomcfchick
Bit OT, but Jon Pertwee's son, Sean Pertwee, is quite an actor himself. Ran across him in Gotham.

The bitching about 13's costuming has already begun. Good times.

I am hoping that Sean Pertwee plays 3 in a multi Doctor episode in the near future. He looks similar enough. He has also said in interviews that he would consider it (and contradicted himself in other interviews so...).

I like 13’s costume except for the fucking high waters. Those pants need to be a good few inches longer. They also look like she found a pair of 2’s pants and they did something odd in the wash.
December 09, 2017
Ooh, that would be cool if Sean Pertwee played 3. He does indeed look like his dad. When I first saw him & didn't know who was playing Alfred, I kept thinking "this guy looks familiar, where have I seen him before?". Lot of it is his eyes.

As for 13's costume, I do agree about the pants. The rest...people need to look at how the Doctor has dressed in all the other incarnations. The last few have been pretty sedate by comparison. No question marks, no wearing a vegetable, no fourteen-foot scarves, no crickety-cricket outfits or velvet coats.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login