Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The (un)official Star Trek thread

Posted by mistress rotwang 
The (un)official Star Trek thread
October 20, 2017
So with Star Trek Discovery finally out I thought I would make a Star Trek thread.

I have had mixed feelings about Discovery thus far. I really enjoyed the first two episodes with Michelle Yeoh and if they had continued with her as the captain she could have easily become my favorite. She was awesome, and the perfect blend of badass and caring/compassionate for a Star Trek captain. I also find Saru to be a fascinating character, and I hope that more of his past and species are explored further. Also Stamets and Culber are properly adorable (even though I still wish that Garak/Bashir was made cannon).

However, I find Burnham to be rather bland, and the whole thing where she is Sarek's adopted daughter to be a bit of a cop out reason to actually care about the character and goes into bad fanfic territory. I want to care about the main character because she is interesting in her own right, not because she has a relationship with an iconic character. Also, of the 3 named characters killed off 2 were WOC, which is a terrible optic (and for all of the shit surrounding the diversity in casting the majority of the named characters are still white men which is a huge dissapointment for me. Give me back Michelle Yeoh as the captain goddamnit). Also, I still haven't decided if I find Lorca a fascinating character or just an annoying piece of shit with control issues. I also like the idea of the spore drive but it seems seriously op in the context of the pre TOS era, and it is too big of a retcon that something like that exists.
Re: The (un)official Star Trek thread
October 21, 2017
I watched the first episode, but am waiting for the season to complete before paying for CBS All-Access to binge. I'm disappointed that they killed off Michelle Yeoh's character right off the bat. I really want to like this series.

------------------------------------------------------------
"Why children take so long to grow? They eat and drink like pig and give nothing back. Must find way to accelerate process..."
- Dr. Yi Suchong, Bioshock

"Society does not need more children; but it does need more loved children. Quite literally, we cannot afford unloved children - but we pay heavily for them every day. There should not be the slightest communal concern when a woman elects to destroy the life of her thousandth-of-an-ounce embryo. But all society should rise up in alarm when it hears that a baby that is not wanted is about to be born."
- Garrett Hardin

"I feel like there's a message involved here somehow, but then I couldn't stop laughing at all the plotholes, like the part when North Korea has food."
- Youtube commentor referring to a North Korean cartoon.

"Reality is a bitch when it slowly crawls out of your vagina and shits in your lap."
- Reddit comment

"Bitch wants a baby, so we're gonna fuck now. #bareback"
- Cambion

Oh whatever. Abortion doctors are crimestoppers."
- Miss Hannigan
October 22, 2017
I lost interest in Star Trek and Star Wars when they turned into soap operas a long time ago.
So I'm giving this a miss just like the newer movies in both.

paragon schnitzophonic
I watched the first episode, but am waiting for the season to complete before paying for CBS All-Access to binge. I'm disappointed that they killed off Michelle Yeoh's character right off the bat. I really want to like this series.

I am only watching it legally because my dad is an even more massive Trekkie so he has a subscription. Otherwise it would be off to torrent land for me.

It is worth watching though. Lorca has become a very interesting character in the last few episodes. However, Micheal continues to be a massive Mary Sue (I don’t like the whole Sarek has an adopted daughter that was never mentioned thing; it is a cheap way to try to get someone invested in a character), and I wish that they would do more to make her not be an expert in whatever the plot of the week demands. I am still not sure about Mudd yet either.
November 01, 2017
thom_c
I lost interest in Star Trek and Star Wars when they turned into soap operas a long time ago.
So I'm giving this a miss just like the newer movies in both.

I'm with you. I barely made it through DS9 which ended its run in 1999 with some really bad episodes. I lost interest in ST Voyager around the same time when it became unwatchable. Even some of the later movies (after 2000) with TNG crew I had little desire to see and have caught only parts of them on TV over the years.

The Star Wars movies in the last 18 years were mediocre, too, little more than a lot of special effects and "fake" people. I'll watch a rerun of the 1970s-80s movies over the more recent ones even though I have seen those older movies dozens of times.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login