Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Dye job gone wrong...again

Posted by Cambion 
Dye job gone wrong...again
November 02, 2008
It's been a few months since I tried dying my hair, so I decided to try for a new color or two. Yesterday I picked up two bottles of semi-permanent hair dye from Sally's - one being jet black and the other being candy apple red. I intended to give myself black bangs with bright red tips.

What I ended up with...was dark brown bangs with strawberry blonde tips. And I have not washed my hair with shampoo since the dying...this is the alleged jet black and candy apple red fresh after the dye was rinsed out. And now I'm pissed. I just spent $10 I probably should not have spent on faulty products.

The shit-flipper is I left the dye in a lot longer than it had to be. Each dye recommended leaving the color on for 25 minutes. I applied the black dye twice...once for 30 minutes and once for 60 minutes. The red I left in for 45. And, lo and behold, I ended up with this mess.

This shit happened last time I dyed my hair...I purchased what was labeled as bright purple, and I ended up with brownish grey.

I have my receipt from the beauty supply store, but I really don't think they'll give me a refund because, chances are, they will tell me my hair is the problem and not their products.

I do not feel like blowing $40+ on a salon visit. I hear that using a hair dryer on hair in the dying process can help color come out brighter, or at least closer to the color indicated on the label. Anyone know if this is true?
Anonymous User
Re: Dye job gone wrong...again
November 03, 2008
Sorry, I honestly don't know what to tell you. Can you look up some possible answers online?
November 03, 2008
OH no! Try for the refund- if you look nothing like the colors on the bottle, what does it hurt them to credit something that didn't give the intended effect?

Also, I would google to see if heat help, and maybe the mfr has a website. Lastly, maybe Manic Panic has an answer line. That stinks, Camb!
November 03, 2008
Well, the good news is the store refunded my money. The bad news i I will likely need to get permanent dye for the color to stick. I really didn't want to get anything more potent than semi-permanent because I wanted something that would wash out in a few months, but oh well.

Unless I can snag myself some jet-black Manic Panic, I'll probably get some permanent dye with my refund and jut get some Crayola markers and draw in the red.
November 03, 2008
Allure magaaine touts Sharpies as a way to hide unwanted color!
November 04, 2008
Y'know, if I didn't think the Sharpie fumes would make me go cuckoo, I'd just draw over my bangs with one. Even if the ink is permanent...if the way it comes off skin i any indication of how eprmanent it really is, chances are it will come out of my hair in about a week or two.
November 04, 2008
They were recommending it for short term handling of greys....

Yes, I bought one. Haven't tried it yet though.

"You can't slit the throat of every cocksucker whose character it would improve."
-Al Swearingen
November 06, 2008
Oooo! Sharpies for greys? I'm gonna have to try that! I'm starting to get the little greys here and there.

I had a hair disaster a few years ago that made me never want to color my hair myself again. You know those highlite kits where you put a plastic cap with holes on your head and pull small clumps of hair through the holes? Well, I pulled big clumps though, left the stuff on too long and ended up with coppery orange mixed thoughout my dark brown hair. It was totally uneven and hideous. I had to go get it professionally colored three times over a years time to get my own color back. The roots kept showing up...it was awful.

I think you may have had trouble with the color taking because your hair might be kind of porus. I have naturally curly (and naturally dry) hair. The highlited parts were even more dry and porus so they would lose even the perminant color over time. I was so happy when that crap finally grew out.
November 10, 2008
Porous hair takes colour better. You mean she must have nonporous hair. Manic Panic's website recommends bleaching first to increase porosity, which makes their product "take" better.

I am surprised that the black didn't work.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"I have learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is easy and fun as hell"

:eatu
Krishna
November 11, 2008
My hair is so coarse that the only colour it would take was black or total bleach-out. Manic Panic, I saw would fade before my eyes...
November 11, 2008
I don't know, maybe it was just the brand I used. The dye was only like $4. I also used Beyond the Zone once before and that turned out awful.

My hair is bleached, but not freshly (I've kept it golden blonde for three years). I get my roots re-touched every six months, so my hair does stay in the bleached state. My hair does absorb Manic Panic very well, and I don't know why. When I dyed it blue, it turned out very vibrant. When I dyed over the shitty purple with another shade of purple, it worked then too. Even though the color I was dying over was a muddy grey.

If the black Manic Panic doesn't work, I'm just going to get out my huge black marker and color my hair.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login