Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Abortion & the Bible

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
Abortion & the Bible
July 04, 2006
You may have already seen this link - I'm actually not sure I didn't get it from this site, but here goes:

http://www.ffrf.org/nontracts/abortion.php

Check out some of the other Nontracts too.
Anonymous User
Re: Abortion & the Bible
July 06, 2006
Thanks for the link. I'd never seen that site before, but I do know that I've never read anything about abortion in the Bible. That's why it's weird to me that so many other Christians claim that the Bible speaks against it. I'm not sure if they even had abortion back then. Too bad that won't stop them from ranting and raving and passing laws.
Anonymous User
July 07, 2006
You'd be amazed at how few fundies actually READ the Bible. Catdaddy, who considers himself a Christian, but chooses not to belong to any organized religion, actually HAS read it from cover to cover. And he takes great enjoyment in ripping apart most fundie interpretations of it.

I've not read much of the Bible myself, but Catdaddy says that according to it, Jesus was a rabble-rouser who hated organized religion and religious fanatics. If that is so, I don't think he'd approve of these fundies trying to cram their beliefs down everyone else's throats.
July 07, 2006
i have read the bible, i am a lapsed roman catholic, i use it for ammunition when arguing wink.. heres a site that maybe of interesy http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/

The Skeptic's Annotated Bible attempts to remedy this imbalance. It includes the entire text of the King James Version of the Bible, but without the pro-Bible propaganda. Instead, passages are highlighted that are an embarrassment to the Bible-believer, and the parts of the Bible that are never read in any Church, Bible study group, or Sunday School class are emphasized. For it is these passages that test the claims of the Bible-believer. The contradictions and false prophecies show that the Bible is not inerrant; the cruelties, injustices, and insults to women, that it is neither good nor just.

The SAB will help those who believe in the Bible to honestly reconsider that belief. It will help those who are unfamiliar with the Bible to resist the temptation to believe. And it will help those who have already rejected the Bible defend their position.

It is time for us all to stop believing in, or pretending to believe in, a book that is so unworthy of belief.

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
July 14, 2006
Look in the Holy Babble and you will see TONS of verses of how God ordered the slaughter of infants and women as well as the rape of female war prisoners. Christians tend to overlook all of the nasty aspects of their "holy" book. eye rolling smiley
Anonymous User
July 14, 2006
This is the site I like to send everyone to when they say abortion is against gods will, etc, etc, etc.

http://www.postfun.com/pfp/blasphemy.html

I agree India, most kristians pick and choose what they want to follow and if the bible disagrees with them then they still bible thump to inaccurate informaion.
July 15, 2006
Great site, Lactrodecta!

Christians publishing these books re: "healing" from abortion and get God-duh's "grace" are popular due to how easy it is to guilt women into anything. Women are considered nothing in Christianity even though X-tians try to claim how females are treated better in "Christ" than in Muslim countries. If that was the case, our rights to abortion or birth control would not always be threatened.

The fact is that most religionists fear independent women which is why the "you must have those babies" trump card is played so highly. If X-tians believed their Holy Babble was the voice of their deity, they would follow everything from the dietary rules, laws of divorce, Sabbath, and the rest.

My marriage has not been good for years. We are only married in name. Without divulging too much of my privacy, all I can say is that I do seek companionship on the side and am very careful because one person is all I can handle. I don't feel guilt since my husband and I have had no relations for so long that even my good memory fails me. We are roomies...that is it! I can attest at how many conservative and religious married men do respond to my profile. Gotta love the hypocrisy!
July 15, 2006
http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/fv/long.html

family values in the bible. this is the only part about condemning b/c and masturbation. 7 lines, 77 lines, 310 characters.. and thats it.. in thousands or words and lines

** 38:8 And Judah said unto Onan, Go in unto thy brother's wife, and marry her, and raise up seed to thy brother.

38:9 And Onan knew that the seed should not be his; and it came to pass, when he went in unto his brother's wife, that he spilled it on the ground, lest that he should give seed to his brother.
38:10 And the thing which he did displeased the LORD: wherefore he slew him also.**

After God killed Er, Judah tells Onan to "go in unto thy brother's wife." But "Onan knew that the seed should not be his; and ... when he went in unto his brother's wife ... he spilled it on the ground.... And the thing which he did displeased the Lord; wherefore he slew him also." This lovely Bible story is seldom read in Sunday School, but it is the basis of many Christian doctrines, including the condemnation of both masturbation and birth control.

*********************************************************************************************************************************

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
July 15, 2006
Thank-you, Mercurior, for posting the nasty Holy Babble books. I have a few books about the horrid verses in the Bible. Funny how the rabid X-tians overlook that bit is God's actions and commands. God-duh also said how bay-beighs' heads must be dashed against stones. If I was still not tired from waking up early this morning after working 'til midnight last night, I would dust off the book and seek out that verse. tongue sticking out smiley
July 15, 2006
i study the bible, and the koran, and every other religious article, why.. not coz i am religious, but its ammunition.. its weapons to use against these totally religious people.(have nothing against beleivers so long as they dont force me to beleive in what they do). thats why..

Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones. -- Psalm 137:9

god isnt totally bad wink.. but these beleivers done remember these parts wink

http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/says_about/parenting.html

http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/says_about/children.html

What the Bible says about Children

Children who refuse to obey their parents must be executed

"If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son, which will not obey the voice of his father, or the voice of his mother, and that, when they have chastened him, will not hearken unto them: Then shall his father and his mother lay hold on him, and bring him out unto the elders of his city, and unto the gate of his place; And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard. And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die: so shalt thou put evil away from among you; and all Israel shall hear, and fear." -- Deuteronomy 21:18-21

Children who mock their parents will have their eyes plucked out by ravens and eaten by eagles.

The eye that mocketh at his father, and despiseth to obey his mother, the ravens of the valley shall pick it out, and the young eagles shall eat it. -- Proverbs 30:17

Sometimes God kills children for misbehaving.

"And he went up from thence unto Bethel: and as he was going up by the way, there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head. And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the LORD. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them." -- 2 Kings 2:23-24

July 16, 2006
Right on, Mercurior. :spin Thanks for posting what I was too dang lazy to look up. Isn't it a shame that I did not bother to look up these verses? And...I have two books regarding these Bible verses above my computer. The "she-bears" verse is the funniest. bouncing and laughing
July 17, 2006
i am a research monster wink

July 17, 2006
Here's a link to a review of a book that my roommate thought I'd like.
http://www.salon.com/books/int/2006/07/07/harris/index_np.html
(if you sit through the 30 second commercial, you can get to the entire article without registering)

I don't understand most religions, and can't actually figure out how organized religion serves any good purpose any more. I can also get quite bristly when it's shoved up my ass (oh I don't think the Jehova's Witlesses will be comeing to my door again any time soon), this sounds just like it's right up my alley. I do think the author of the article is wrong in his belief that just because a person distains organised religion, they are also incapable of belief in mysticism, spirituality, different thought systems or the paranormal. I'm glad that the book author was able to state the fact that non-religious people are moral as well, and that one does not have to subscribe to any sort of religious belief to be a moral, decent person.

India, Merc, you both might particularly enjoy this interview.

July 17, 2006
i kept the witneses on the drive for 4 hours arguing religion, and i quoted things that they had "forgotten".. they avoid us now.. last time it was so funny, 2 new witnesses were coming down our drive, and these 2 older ones, saw it, and they ran, and grabbed these people by the neck and dragged them away.. wink

sprogless
July 19, 2006
Four hours??!! Way to go, Merc!

The Jehovah's Witnesses don't even bother with me, anymore. The last time they came to the door, I asked if they wanted to come in and watch a bootleg copy of The Passion Of The Christ. Then I told them that all I had was a Gideon Bible that I nicked from a motel, and the only crucifix I owned was the one I took off of someone's door. The looks on their faces were priceless.
July 20, 2006
i was once stopped by a born again xtian in the street, wanting to know my beleif, etc.. you know the usual bible bashing. so i argued with him for an hour, got him so upset that i knew more about the bible than he did, he had to get his boss, and i explained to him, and this is the most perfect line in existence to annoy those bible bashers.. "God, made me to test your faith. so i am doing Gods work.".. it totally destroys their arguments. i saw them pause, and think for a few moments, then they sort of lost heart..

sprogless
July 20, 2006
That one's a keeper fo sure!
Care if I borrow it the next time the Baptists come knocking?
July 20, 2006
you cna have it and use it with pleasure wink

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login