Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

the UK my home and soon to be fausts

Posted by mercurior 
the UK my home and soon to be fausts
July 20, 2006
as a lot of you know i live here in good old blighty.. a country about 900 miles long, and 400 miles wide, about the same size as oregon, had a lot of history here, the celts, the romans, the angles and saxons, the normans, and so on... all tried to conquer us and they did for a few years.. wink.. we have some of the greatest artists, and writers and scenery, in this small island,

http://britannia.com/history/

http://britannia.com/history/timelines.html.

a lot of history for such a small island. and of course some of the bloodiest battles ever.. wink.. the only country we have never been at war with is portugal, we have fought every other country.

its well worth a visit, to london, for a few days, but as you do north you will find beauties, incomparable to anything else, and we dont have bad food, just different, http://www.lingolex.com/cc/foods.htm

**Lunch

If you go to Britain to study English and you stay with a family you will almost certainly be given a "packed lunch" to eat for your midday meal. Some factories and schools have canteens where you can eat but the packed lunch is the most common thing to eat. A packed lunch normally consist of some sandwiches, a packet of crisps, an apple and a can of something to drink, for example, coca-cola. The contents are kept in a plastic container and you take it with you when you go to school or work. The quality of the packed lunch can vary from terrible to very good, it all depends on who makes it** used to live off packed lunches at school, mum used to make some, and send us off with them, so we could have a known meal. sometimes it was traded to other kids, who had different meals.., and black puddings, or blood puddings are nice, even though you think they sound horrible, haggis is nice too. dont knock it till you tried it.

one of the reasons why we eat a lot of meat and strange parts.. is the medieval period, when there wasnt much food around for peasants, so they had to eat anything to survive. the nobles took everything.

a little brief history of the Uk. if you can come visit, visit the south and the north, the lake district, the yorkshire dales, beautiful areas..

the south london and the surroundings are good i got some good friends from there, but it never feels real, with real people, try visiting then move north to manchester, or birmingham, they are real people, blackpool sort of but not quite las vegas of the north.. but then you get more and more dramatic scenery. souths good, norths good for different reasons. and london is not liverpool or manchester nothing like it even though some people think i who live haflway between the 2 is from london way.. 250 miles away.. wink

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
Your "packed lunch" sounds like an American lunchbox. Except for the blood pudding!

My husband and I love the show Last of the Summer Wine and really want to visit Holmfirth. Hell, we want to go all over the UK. So much history and great beer!
Re: the UK my home and soon to be fausts
July 21, 2006
yes been holmfirth, you can actually sit in sids cafe and have tea..last of the summer wine been running since 1973, 33 years..
http://imdb.com/title/tt0069602/

blood pudding or black pudding it is nice.. dont knock it till u tried it..but you would never have it in a packed lunch.. for breakfast maybe.. the full english. meant to put an extra paragraph .. sorry bout the confusion.

it is pretty much the same as the american lunchbox.

*********************************************************************************************************************************

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
Anonymous User
July 26, 2006
I love the long lunches (from the last link). I think in Spain they take 2 hours. Here in the US, it's 30 minutes, maybe an hour, or none at all! That's one thing I admire about y'all over the ocean.

I'm a really picky eater, so I've always said that if I ever get to travel outside the US, I'd bring some food with me. Lame, I know. But yeah, your lunches were just like mine as a kid. My favorite part was getting a new lunch box every year, and hoping mine would be the coolest. The metal ones could also be used as weapons if one ever got into a fight...which is probably why they banned them, lol.

BTW, I thought Faust was already in the UK.
July 27, 2006
no, she is over there for the moment, need to get legal advice to make sure we are getting all paperwork sorted, she been here for holidays and breaks, she is due here in 40 days. the uk is fausts spiritual home,

lunches when you work are usually short, mostly an hour, its a legal requirement for awork place here. but if you have time there pubs that sell food, and restaurants you can buy dinners at 11 am upto 5pm..

its really in the hotter places spain, italy, that have the longer meals, partly due to the heat of the day siesta's are common there, not in the UK, rarely gets hot..

July 31, 2006
Considering the freakin' heat everywhere, siestas may become more popular. At least I hope so, it's about 98 with 99 percent humidity...typing is making me sweat like a pig and I have a full body orgasm every time I go into air conditioning.

Nuts to summer I say...NUTS!
August 01, 2006
its raining here..

Anonymous User
August 01, 2006
yeh for Faust for moving to the UK! I'd be off like a shot too. I've been an Anglophile even since Upstairs/Downstairs and my favorite author Ruth Rendell.
August 01, 2006
it does seem that the more i hear of stuff there, the more i think the UK is a really good place, it may not be the richest or largest, but its good, (naturally as a northern lad u avoid the south london)..

lots of people who i spoke to over there want to move here. history, and pace of life is so much slower.

GreenGrass
August 10, 2006
As an American, every time some hillbilly tells me, "If you don't like (the president, the economy, Jesus, whatever), why don't you LEAVE?" I want to say, "If it were only so easy!"

I love Europe and I feel like their governments actually care about the well-being of their citizens, as opposed to the U.S., where it's usually every man for himself. Public transportation is abundant and cheap, food quailty is better, affordable health care is a right not a privilege, there is more respect for the environment, etc. Anyway, that is just my opinion on the matter.
August 10, 2006
you will have to try to come over.. to the sane side wink... in stead of the dark (or in bushes case the dork side)

August 10, 2006
I can't leave, the economy's tanked, I haven't had a raise in 2 years and can barely afford my basic living expenses. How are you doing under this regime?
August 10, 2006
in the Uk the economy is growing slowly, doctors can pull in maybe £100k a year depending, nurses maybe £20,000 roughly, teachers about £17,000

http://www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk/JCP/index.html

this is the national jobs database current jobs. dont know what you work as really, but just looking wont hurt.. some jobs come with relocation expenses..

so as a counsellor in health field, yur looking at £16,000 to £20,000

drugs intervention officer in middlesex

http://www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk/Internet/viewVacancy.do?selectedVacancy=24&ref=HNS/4858 £23,250 PA

theres so many more if you can get there

sprogless
August 10, 2006
Feh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I can't leave, the economy's tanked, I haven't had
> a raise in 2 years and can barely afford my basic
> living expenses. How are you doing under this
> regime?
>

Pretty much the same. In this area, wages have gone down, the cost of living has gone way up, and I'm being laid off at the end of the month. My boss is a lawyer, and wants to use temps from now on, so he doesn't have to pay us benefits, or any employment taxes. Nice, huh? The gap between the haves and have- nots is growing every day. At least Clinton cared whether or not people had jobs.

GreenGrass, I know what you mean with the Hillbillies. I, too, would be out of here in a heartbeat if it was feasible.

August 10, 2006
when i win the lottery your all coming over wink..

Tokio Fraulein
August 12, 2006
Oh, how I love my Germany! If I could I'd hide all you cool CF stuck over in the US, in my basement...It's a lovely country over here. Hope you get Frau Faust's paperwork fixed, Merc. Best wishes. :3

Love,

Tokio Fraulein who is biting the heads off jelly babies at the moment
August 12, 2006
me too tokio wink;.. we going to see a solicitor when she is here..

shall we do a cf underground railroad.. wink..

Anonymous User
August 14, 2006
Well I'm going to start practicing my Madonna-style fake British accent right now! Telly, lift, loo... Color with a "u".

Imagine... no crappy color-coded security alerts, a leader who doesn't say "nook-you-ler", not having to pack my wounds with salt & various herbs because I can't afford to see a doctor.

*Wishful sigh* That would be the life...
August 14, 2006
a little help for the english words wink

http://english2american.com/

http://english2american.com/dictionary/wholelot.html

You guys want to see a place where government does not care and everybody just drinks and parties?

Then, my dear people, welcome to the vast lands of Russia! This is a place where mafia runs it all. Everything. While there are places where you can live without seeing or hearing about it, the remoteness of these places will make a human being a hermit.

So, for those of you who want to see a place that really sucks, come visit me. Vodka is plentiful, money is rare and government is paid for crooks and thieves. All this is a courtesy of local mafia.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login