Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Login problems

Posted by michaela-nli 
Re: Login problems
April 20, 2013
Medusa
Except I'm on my home computer. I don't even have a mobile.

There is nothing on the IP list that even resembles your IP. I am at a loss here.

Medusa
Except I'm on my home computer. I don't even have a mobile.

Some ISPs do dynamically assign IP addresses, so you can have a different IP at different times. Usually this happens when your modem is reset, but some will even just reassign even when you haven't experienced an interruption of service, as a way of preventing people from deploying servers at home.

I know Thom said that there's nothing close to your IP range which is blocked, but I'm thinking perhaps your ISP might have more than one range in a single pool. They might have gotten a second range due to a merger or even due to getting another allocation years after their initial allocation, and although it is unusual to put two distinct ranges into the same dynamic pool, this may have been the best solution given how their infrastructure was set up.

I'd suggest you note down your IP the next time you experience the connection issue. You can most likely then turn your modem on and off and hopefully be assigned a new IP address, and after that you can let Thom know what your IP was when you were blocked.

An alternate approach would be to see who is assigned the banned IPs, and see if any are assigned to the same company that your regular IP is assigned to.
April 21, 2013
Thanks, Thom and Yurble! I wrote down my IP address and will see if it happens again.

At first I was afraid we'd been hacked or something.
April 21, 2013
Ok, I can post from phone as long as I'm not on my house wifi. Weird. I try to contact the mods, but I can't. How do I go about getting unblocked?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What is a home without children? Quiet. ~Henny Youngman

I don't want people who want to dance, I want people who have to dance. ~George Balanchine

"I took the batteries out of my biological clock and put them in my vibrator"
April 21, 2013
CF_Amy
Ok, I can post from phone as long as I'm not on my house wifi. Weird. I try to contact the mods, but I can't. How do I go about getting unblocked?

1) Clear all caches and cookies on all devices.
2) reset modem - leave it off for 15 minutes.
3) reset wifi box - also off x 15 minutes.
4) none of your IPs are on the block list.
5) if you know your IP send it in a PM to the mods.

thom_c
CF_Amy

Did all the above. Still can't post from my computer at home. Also sent my IP address in a PM and haven't heard anything.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What is a home without children? Quiet. ~Henny Youngman

I don't want people who want to dance, I want people who have to dance. ~George Balanchine

"I took the batteries out of my biological clock and put them in my vibrator"
May 01, 2013
CF_Amy
thom_c
CF_Amy

Did all the above. Still can't post from my computer at home. Also sent my IP address in a PM and haven't heard anything.

I checked the mod messages and IP's none are on the lists. I'll keep troubleshooting.
Anonymous User
July 09, 2013
I had this a while back and got all worried. Thanks to the mods for sorting this.
July 09, 2013
Sadly it is still an ongoing problem which has not been figured out, but hopefully people can use these tips to get around the problem.
Anonymous User
July 13, 2013
The website seems to keep randomly crashing lately. Has anyone else been having this problem?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login