Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I'm evil

Posted by RandomCFChick 
RandomCFChick
I'm evil
November 30, 2006
Someone I was friends with in college is trying to have a kid, and I guess they're running into fertility problems.

Here's the interesting thing...I figured she'd eventually want a kid, but I totally didn't anticipate the angsty hand-wringing that would come should they have trouble conceiving. I figured that based on what I knew of her,that she'd either adopt a kid, or decide to be CF (she always was into simple living and maintaining a low environmental footprint, including population control). But no, now she's all weep-and-wail about how having a kid would be the perfect expression of the love that she and her spouse have for each other, and that they won't even consider adoption, how she feels like she's failed, feels less feminine, yada yada yada. At least she's not going IVF...so at least she's not that far gone.

Totally out of alignment with the values and such I'd seen in her for so many years! It's so weird! Either my own forecasting was wrong, or she changed, or a little of both.

I'm sad that she's done a 180 degree turnaround when it comes to values, but I'm also getting a certain amount of amusement out of it, in a schadenfreude kind of way.

Fortunately she lives in another state and we don't see each other much. I have a feeling that unless she decides to either shit or get off the pot, we'll be seeing even less of each other.
Re: I'm evil
November 30, 2006
she has been brainwashed into the cult of the moo.

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
giselle
December 08, 2006
I thought peoples sex life was a private matter not for all and sundry to be treated to the details.

have they no respect for themselves whatsoever.

There is usually a reason for people not to be able to conceive, and also a reason for miscarriages. As far as I am concerned there's too much interferring with nature. Nature sorts out the ones that are not capable of living a full life without pain etc.,
BillyC
December 10, 2006
DW and I have lost lots of friends and family to breeding. The minute the shitfactory arrives, the breeders turn into used rubbers and are not good for a goddam thing except disposal.
December 11, 2006
I, too, have lost many friends to the world of Moo Hood. It's sad, too. These were once really cool, fun people to hang out with. It's amazing how drastically and quickly the transformation takes place. Literally overnight, once that stick turns blue, their brains are sucked out through their ass. These are people who I used to have a great time with. It's so pathetic, it's almost like someone has died. They are merely shells of their former selves.
Sherz
December 13, 2006
Once some people breed they do become completely uninteresting! My brother is a perfect example. Every second of every conversation is about my niece. My brother used to be a funny interesting person. He even did stand up comedy for a while after college. Now his conversations are about potties and Dora the Explorer. He and his wife want to have another one. They can certainly afford it, but God they're dull now!
RandomCFChick
December 16, 2006
Yep, they do. I've already lost one good friend to parenthood...so I'm a bit let down about this more recent one. I've already decided that it's time to step back and let her drift. She tends to be obsessive and high-achieving, and sadly she seems to be applying this facet of her personality to her parenthood aspirations as well. She'll become so absorbed in the role of mommy that even non-CF people will be annoyed. A few PNB friends of mine have already commented to that effect.

Fact is, I'm finding the whole drama pretty frickin' funny. Especially since they could be parents via adoption or fostering, but she won't even consider it. Can't control nature, can ya? eye rolling smiley
Anonymous User
December 20, 2006
Yep. I love my best friend dearly, and he's been a father since I met him (his daughter's almost five now), and he, luckily, hasn't gone nutsy over being a parent. Yes, he talks about his daughter (it helps that the kid is precocious and, at times, hilarious so it doesn't bother me to hear about her), but not too badly. The only thing I find weird is that often he'll ask me "Have you seen [X movie]?" And they're always kids' movies. I sometimes feel like saying "no, I'm an adult, and one without kids at that; I get to watch GROWN-UP movies." And I don't know if it's just that he happens to see a kid's movie and think I'd find it funny, or if kiddie movies are really the only ones he's exposed to and so the only ones he talks about.

Luckily, none of my other friends have kids or are in danger of doing so any time in the near future.
RandomCFChick
December 21, 2006
Yeah, grown-up movies seem to be the first thing to go when people have kids. I have some terrific friends who have two kids, and enjoy spending time with them. They're still the smart, fun people they were before...they have less free time, of course, but by my book that means they're actually PARENTING those little critters. Anyway...they're definitely parents, not breeders, and even they haven't seen a grown-up movie in a looooong time.

I have managed to hang onto a handful of friends who've not lost all grey matter once the test comes back positive, but I've lost more friends than I've kept, I think. It's sad. I think it's almost easier to deal with someone who already has a kid...then I already know what they're like, and don't have to deal with losing them later on. I can decide whether we're compatible as friends pretty early on, rather than investing time and energy and love, just to have them vanish two years later.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login