Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

#1814 - Work...where else?

Posted by Fattie 
Fattie
#1814 - Work...where else?
August 31, 2006
Don't get me started on "workers" in their teens and 20's. I'm a "20-something" myself and it's embarassing and infuriating on how lazy people in my age group are at work.
Before the department store where I work at opened for business, they hired their sales staff and cashiers. Most of the staff is within my age group but we have some "older" workers (i.e. over the age of 40). The "older" workers may have a harder time grasping on how to do techincal operations on our computer system (i.e. making tags for clothes and running the registers), but at least they have work ethic! These kids showed up for work and when they were told they had to help set up our store so we can open for business, they were whining like little bitches about it. Did they expect to show up for work and sit on their asses and get paid for it? I wish management would fire the complainers, but we're understaffed as it is.
Re: #1814 - Work...where else?
August 31, 2006
I've worked with high schoolers, too, and it ain't no fun! At an auto dealership years ago, I worked with a teenage girl who felt she did not have to adhere to dress code. She believed it was her right to wander in late, have a nasty attitude, and just do what she wanted at work. I wish this girl was an anomoly but she was very standard of young workers. A lot of them do believe they are to be paid for not doing anything and that they can do whatever they want at work. I am glad my boss was still around yesterday when Miss Thang felt she could continue to remain parked in another person's paid parking space due to some rain drops. This little b*tch and her attitude would have escalated had my very large supervisor not be around...and she tried to give HIM grief!
Anonymous User
August 31, 2006
india,

Bossman is my idol!

I love it when someone from the real world shows these immature, self-centered social retards that nobody gives half a rat's furry ass about their "self-esteem".

Fattie, glad to hear there's someone out there in that age group who gets what work means. Good for you.
August 31, 2006
Bossman ROCKS! Good for him.

Glad to hear it Fattie. Unfortunately the brats set the tone for what some people think of certain age groups. A lot of younger workers think that:

Knowledge = Unlimited access to bitchiness to inflict on everyone else along with their entitled attitudes
August 31, 2006
:yr

Yes, BossMan rocks! Of course, we were all going through separation anxiety when our last boss left on Friday. He had to move out-of-state due to a family member's illness. I worked for BossMan before and he is a good guy but I kept thinking how he is not B*B T***er. I know I had to get over that and accept how change is good. Yesterday proved how change is indeed very good. I loved how my new boss shot down Miss Precious' self-esteem when she whined how she was not going to move that car in the rain. You all would have loved it when BossMan handed her an umbrella telling her to use it!
Anonymous User
August 31, 2006
I used to be a manager at a small-town drugstore. Most of our employees were local teens. Part of my job was to interview and hire said teens.

Oooooh, yes, I was a serious bitch. Bring Mommy or Daddy to the interview? No job for you. Have Mommy or Daddy even pick up the application for you? (and yes, I knew who these were, because I always asked for the name of the applicant before hading out the application to moo or duhd) No job for you! Have too many demands as to when you CAN'T work? No job for you!

Just call me the *Job Nazi*...LOL! I did run a tight ship while I was there, as I refused to put up with any crap from any lazy teen workers. The ones that were already there before I came on the job...if I didn't like them, I gave them fewer hours. If they complained, I'd just tell them that they were calling out too much, and we needed people who'd actually bother to show up. Most of the ones in question either cleaned up their acts, or quit.

I had to leave that job because we were moving. But I did have a great bunch of kids working for me towards the end, and I miss them. Most of them were there working for college money so that they could get out of the shit town that they (and this drugstore) were in. I hope they are doing well now.
Fattie
September 01, 2006
catmommy9 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Bring Mommy
> or Daddy to the interview? No job for you. Have
> Mommy or Daddy even pick up the application for
> you? (and yes, I knew who these were, because I
> always asked for the name of the applicant before
> hading out the application to moo or duhd) No job
> for you!

That irks the hell out of me when parents (or "friends" or whoever else) get job applications for their kids or show up with their kids for an interview. It's good to see that parents want to instill work ethic into thier children. But if the applicant didn't bother to pick up the application for him/herself, it says to me that s/he doesn't really want the job. It also says to me that s/he is lazy because they didn't pick up the application him/herself.
As for bringing someone else with you to the interview (rather they be a parent or a friend or someone else), that just makes you look co-dependent as hell.
I could go on about improper job seeking etiquite, but I still haven't had my morning coffee yet.
Anonymous User
September 01, 2006
Here's a bit of useless knowledge I've picked up in my life, that is germaine(sp?) to the topic at hand:

I worked for a construction supply company that would occasionally hire a driver. We put an ad in the paper and people would come in to fill out an application. My manager said to tell them that they HAVE to fill it out here, and not take it home or even let them do it in the car. I was a bit baffled.

It turns out that a lot of them didn't know how to read, so they would take it home for either the wife/gf to fill it out, or copy from something written down in the car and match it to each box on the application.

I had a friend that gave me a bunch of old resumes she had collected while working in HR at a telemarketing company. Oh. My. God.
Anonymous User
September 02, 2006
NotSure: I've heard of that too! How people make it without being able to read baffles me. And there is no need for it. There are litericy(ironic sp?) programs out there that will teach people to read. They have no one but themselves to blame.
September 02, 2006
More than a few past employers of mine would not let the application leave property. At the wireless call center where I do security, the Powers-To-Be are desperate for agents. The base pay is very good along with commissions, if the agent meets quotoas; however, the job is very stressful. This is why a lot of people do not stay.

Years ago, the standards to get hired were very high. The bar has been lowered. It is SingleMooDom in that place. Ghetto moos now get hired. In the past, it would have been shocking to see one of the "who-do-be-my-baby-daddy" types around there. I honestly do not know how these women can do such heavy customer service jobs when they have major attitudes and talk "trashy". Yes, there are still good agents there but that is getting more rare.

BossMan also rocks in another way. This nasty single moo is a manager at the place. Butt-Muncher Moo looks at security as her maintenance people to move heavy tables as well as do other grunt work during events. She copped an attitude last week when one guard would not move tables due to fear of back injury. I made the point very clear to her and then went to her boss who agreed that this is NOT security's job.

My old boss was a very nice man so he would do things such as change lights and lug sh*t around the place. BossMan got with the moo to let her know that our job is security[i/][u/] and NOT moving people. He let HER and the security team know that workman's comp would NOT cover any injuries if we do anything that is not in our job description. I just love it... grinning smiley
September 02, 2006
i would love to work in a call centre over here, but there are fewer they are all moved to india, and the ones here they are hard to get to unless you can drive, and then again i am an honest person, if i didnt beleive in the job i couldnt do it.. i would direct them to the best place.. not the place i work..

i dont mind mucking in, in any job, i moved a 2 tonne fire proof filing cabinet, coz the people who said they would move it.. didnt.. so i pushed and pulled and grunted and it got done..

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
india.darshan
September 02, 2006
I am at work right now! My head is about to explode. A little 20-somethinger kept whining about us -- security -- not having any plastic forks or spoons. We do...but they are for us. If we gave them out to all of these irresponsible employees, there would be nothing for the security team. The girl comes back and asks AGAIN!!!! What is it about "NO" that people cannot grasp.

Then, this little b*tch returns to my desk and asks if we can go into the cafeteria store's area and get her a fork. Again, I tell her, "NO," and inform her that anyone in security going in there to take stuff WILL be fired. We do have the notice on our desk. The dumb c*nt -- sorry for my choice of words -- just looked at me with her entitlement attitude.

If people want to eat regular meals at work on weekends, they need to be responsible enough to bring THEIR OWN cutlery!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login