Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Glamour BC Bingo

Posted by Tahki (NLI) 
Tahki (NLI)
Glamour BC Bingo
January 29, 2008
I really must be a glutton for punishment...I was reading my mom's old Glamour mags (which have, incidentally, already gone over to the breeder side of publications) and spotted an article on birth control. They had a little symbol code, and I was reading about tubal ligations. I go to check the little star (which was the only code next to the segment): "Congratulations! You've had kids - you love the wonderful little ones you have, but another one would just be too much."

WTF? People with no kids may want to have tubal ligations, not just the pah-runts, Glamour. =_= Reminds me of why I stopped reading that garbage in the first place - articles on Virginity Pledges and all that rot...
Re: Glamour BC Bingo
January 30, 2008
Tahki, consider yourself fortunate that you can see through Glamour at your age. You are wise to see beyond the glossy advertising and crap this magazine spews out. I am certain that your peers buy into the propaganda even if they secretly think otherwise. I was reading that dumb rag from my 20's to early 30's...even though I had the first tubal in 1983. You may not know this even though I posted this but the first one DID fail seven years later which resulted in my aborting ASAP. About a year-and-a-half later, I got a second tubal in 1996.

Most women start reading these women's mags believing they are about feminism and not succumbing to the B*S mindset that we are forced-fed since early childhood. Cosmo is another stupid rag I hate. It is all about getting sexed up to snag the guy...only to learn ways to give out those ultimatums for marriage and those babies. Possibly, Jim's 'girlfriend' (from the "Girlfriend wants baby or break up" thread) read this shit and figured she would give it a whirl with him. Both Cosmo and [/i]Glamour[/i] are very sexist despite women thinking they are so "hip" to talk about sex...and even say how being a kept woman or a high-end prostitute is such a neat lifestyle.
January 30, 2008
I am SO SICK of the attitude that "everyone MUST breed" or "everyone wants kids."
Anonymous User
January 30, 2008
KidFreeLuvnLife Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am SO SICK of the attitude that "everyone MUST
> breed" or "everyone wants kids."

Me too. It's prevalent everywhere and just fucking sucks.
January 30, 2008
"Most women start reading these women's mags believing they are about feminism and not succumbing to the B*S mindset that we are forced-fed since early childhood. Cosmo is another stupid rag I hate. It is all about getting sexed up to snag the guy...only to learn ways to give out those ultimatums for marriage and those babies. Possibly, Jim's 'girlfriend' (from the "Girlfriend wants baby or break up" thread) read this shit and figured she would give it a whirl with him. Both Cosmo and [/i]Glamour[/i] are very sexist despite women thinking they are so "hip" to talk about sex...and even say how being a kept woman or a high-end prostitute is such a neat lifestyle."

Yeah, being a hooker is such a neat lifestyle! Hey girls, spend your best years being a cumbucket for every piece of scum with $50 o/b/o, get infected with various diseases, get arrested and give 90% of what you earn to some leech of a pimp! What a dream job!
CFBitchfromLA
February 01, 2008
Cosmo was a much better rag when Helen Gurley Brown was still the editor in chief. She kept the magazine all about being sexy, single and definitely childfree. None of this Glam-moo bullshit for her, and that's why I liked Cosmo way back.

Now it is another fetus felching (Thanks for that phrase, CF EZ Board) pile of shit pretending to be feminist while it teaches women to be walking uteri and put away their ambitions and hopes.

Most women's magazines are so damned boring that I do not bother reading any of them.
February 01, 2008
I hate the majority of women's magazines as well. As a teen, I never got into Seventeen or any of that shit; I was all about Metal Maniacs, Guitar World, and anything related to horror movies or anime/manga. I'm still that way; Bitch and Bust are the only women's mags I read, since they're for the feminist community. Bitch even had an article about CFBC 2-3 years ago (yay!). I also read Adbuster's, and the occasional issue of Terrorizer, Metal Maniacs, or Brave Words and Bloody Knuckles.
February 02, 2008
CFBitchfromLA Wrote:
> Cosmo was a much better rag when Helen Gurley
> Brown was still the editor in chief. She kept the
> magazine all about being sexy, single and
> definitely childfree. None of this Glam-moo
> bullshit for her, and that's why I liked Cosmo way
> back.
>
>

That is so true. It started going steadily downhill from there. I was a devoted reader back in the day but not anymore.

Cosmo is yet another example of how the Tit Nazis and SAHMoos have hijacked the once glorious feminist movement.
DrDanCorelli
February 02, 2008
I never read any men's magazines like Esquire or GQ. When I was at their target age, I was in scrubs or lab gear, and up to my neck in blood, guts or microbiology lab samples. When I recently purchased an Esquire magazine to look at an interview with a well-known political celebrity, I found no editorial content related to being a father or even promoting fatherhood. If anything, it was quite the opposite and still somewhat centered on playing the field.

The dichotomy between men's and women's magazines seems too strongly to enforce gender stereotypes to the point of hypocrisy on the part of the editors and publishers. On one hand, you have magazines appealing to the younger generations of both genders that try tragically and painfully to be as hip as thou. Opposite that, you have the probreeder message in women's magazines and the play the field message in men's magazines. I find this disconnect to be beyond disingenous when measured against the painful efforts to 'out-hip' one another.
CJ
February 03, 2008
Reinforcing gender stereotypes is what it's all about in the U.S. of A. right now. I used to read those women's magazines when I was in college, which was 20 years ago. Now I only pick them up at the salon. They seemed a good deal more progressive back then. Stories on raising kyds were few and far between, and no one assumed you wanted a fambly one day.

Now, from the weekend edition of the Appleton Post-Crescent, an article on miscarriage. Actual quote:

"Getting pregnant and having a baby is an expected part of womanhood and when reproduction--something you've always taken for granted your whole life as a girl--falls apart, self-doubt sets in."

Hmm. Generalize much, Julie Gilkay? Mr. T: I pitty tha fools We haven't come very far since Freud wrote, "Anatomy is destiny." Grrr.
February 04, 2008
DrDanCorelli Wrote:
> I never read any men's magazines like Esquire or
> GQ. When I was at their target age, I was in
> scrubs or lab gear, and up to my neck in blood,
> guts or microbiology lab samples. When I recently
> purchased an Esquire magazine to look at an
> interview with a well-known political celebrity, I
> found no editorial content related to being a
> father or even promoting fatherhood. If anything,
> it was quite the opposite and still somewhat
> centered on playing the field.

I've noticed how men's mags are about playing the field and getting a girl into bed without having to even tell her that one likes her much less has affection. Marriage is verboten in Esquire. Sadly, the women's rags are about how to make a man cum but a woman still is sort of advised to lie about her sexual partners to not threaten the Male Ego since it is assumed she wants those babies.
Nour
February 04, 2008
Dr. Dan, you are so right. "Men's Health" is another one of those magazines. The articles about sex are slanted towards bedding a new woman, someone the man has just met.
February 04, 2008
Nour Wrote:
> Dr. Dan, you are so right. "Men's Health" is
> another one of those magazines. The articles about
> sex are slanted towards bedding a new woman,
> someone the man has just met.

I've read "Men's Health", too. Former boss subscribed. It was a good read to stay awake when I worked two overnight shifts so that guard had his days off. The sexism did keep my eyes open! If a woman was to ask about bedding a man she just met, she would be judged and called all sorts of names. It is okay if it may happen only once in a lady's life but she better never admit to more than 2-3 lovers before marriage yet will often hide that! Don't mind me, I am just PO'd about something else and need to rant here or on the rant page...yawning smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login