Advanced

Dear Prudence 8/21/08

Posted by cfhistorian 
cfhistorian
Dear Prudence 8/21/08
August 21, 2008
Bed. Made. Lie. Moo.

Dear Prudence,
I am in my late 20s, and my husband is a caring and attentive man. He has happily supported me for several years while I attended graduate school and now while I am a stay-at-home mom. My problem is, I feel completely overwhelmed by our daily life. Sometimes I feel resentful that he gets to go to an office all day while I am stuck at home with an autistic preschooler and a six-month-old baby, and other times I feel horribly guilty that he works hard all day and I still ask him to help with the housework at night. I'm at the point where it's difficult to shower three times a week. My husband says my standards are too high and that I expect too much of myself. I do a lot of therapeutic "floor time" with my special-needs child, which I consider vital. I use cloth diapers and make all my own baby food. I just don't understand how a mother can justify cutting corners when it comes to her kids. My husband is worried about my inability to hold things together and says I need more "time off," which is problematic with a nursing baby and would put me even further behind with my housework. He and I have not been on a date in months. It's hard to find a babysitter able to watch an autistic child. My husband has also suggested having a maid in once a week, but I don't believe that we can afford it. He says he doesn't care if the house is messy, as long as the kids are taken care of, but I know the constant chaos of our lives bothers him. Sometimes I feel like I'd be doing my family a favor by leaving and letting someone more capable take my place, but I know I could never do that because it would break my heart.

—Lady Sisyphus

If you care to read Prudence's response, see it here:
http://www.slate.com/id/2198139/

The first line of this struck a chord with me...I am in my mid-twenties, and just finished grad school myself. My husband also supported me through it (although I did take out student loans to help cover living expenses, since I had a graduate assistantship and my tuition was paid by my academic department). Graduate school was probably the toughest two years of my life...not just the work involved, but the familial obligations (to my husband, my parents, my in-laws, etc.) and personal stress, as well. This twat basically flushed her life (and education) down the toilet to cater to her offspring, and is now waking up and realizing that it isn't all rainbows and sunshine. I can't help but feel contempt and disgust for women like this, who make the rest of us (intelligent, educated, non-life-script-following women) look bad.
Re: Dear Prudence 8/21/08
August 21, 2008
Jesus Christ. Ya know, DECADES AGO when life was WAAAAAY more complicated for SAHMs, you NEVER heard them complaining - EVER. What the fuck happened to these women?
Gigabyte
August 23, 2008
cfhistorian Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
This
> twat basically flushed her life (and education)
> down the toilet to cater to her offspring, and is
> now waking up and realizing that it isn't all
> rainbows and sunshine. I can't help but feel
> contempt and disgust for women like this, who make
> the rest of us (intelligent, educated,
> non-life-script-following women) look bad.

What can I say CFhistorian, she had it all, the education and soon to have coperate professional life in her 20s. Most moral minded pro life people prefer to waste it all for to have a child.

Im in my mid 20s, I worked heart/soul to get a good paid job and the servcies I have done for years.

I WILL NEVER, EVER, FOREFIT ALL THE HARD EARN ACHIEVEMENT OVER A CHILD, NEVER. I refuse to do so. I don't care how much people can bingo me, I will never throw away to become a parent.
Being a parent has no value for me, I don't get paid being a parent.
Anonymous User
August 23, 2008
Why did she waste money on graduate school if she wasn't going to use her degree at all?

She strikes me as one of these people who wants to get an advanced degree just so they can brag about it, frame it and put it up on the wall. It probably makes her feel more "educated" and possibly, makes her feel superior to other people. Even though she's never used her education to do a damn thing.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login