Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hawaii Ending Universal Child Health Care After 7 Mos.

Posted by annie35 
October 17, 2008
Friday, October 17, 2008

E-Mail Print Share:

HONOLULU — Hawaii is dropping the only state universal child health care program in the country just seven months after it launched.

Gov. Linda Lingle's administration cited budget shortfalls and other available health care options for eliminating funding for the program. A state official said families were dropping private coverage so their children would be eligible for the subsidized plan.

"People who were already able to afford health care began to stop paying for it so they could get it for free," said Dr. Kenny Fink, the administrator for Med-QUEST at the Department of Human Services. "I don't believe that was the intent of the program."

State officials said Thursday they will stop giving health coverage to the 2,000 children enrolled by Nov. 1, but private partner Hawaii Medical Service Association will pay to extend their coverage through the end of the year without government support.

"We're very disappointed in the state's decision, and it came as a complete surprise to us," said Jennifer Diesman, a spokeswoman for HMSA, the state's largest health care provider. "We believe the program is working, and given Hawaii's economic uncertainty, we don't think now is the time to cut all funding for this kind of program."

Hawaii lawmakers approved the health plan in 2007 as a way to ensure every child can get basic medical help. The Keiki (child) Care program aimed to cover every child from birth to 18 years old who didn't already have health insurance — mostly immigrants and members of lower-income families.

It costs the state about $50,000 per month, or $25.50 per child — an amount that was more than matched by HMSA.

State health officials argued that most of the children enrolled in the universal child care program previously had private health insurance, indicating that it was helping those who didn't need it.

The Republican governor signed Keiki Care into law in 2007, but it and many other government services are facing cuts as the state deals with a projected $900 million general fund shortfall by 2011.

While it's difficult to determine how many children lack health coverage in the islands, estimates range from 3,500 to 16,000 in a state of about 1.3 million people. All were eligible for the program.

"Children are a lot more vulnerable in terms of needing care," said Democratic Sen. Suzanne Chun Oakland. "It's not very good to try to be a leader and then renege on that commitment."

The universal health care system was free except for copays of $7 per office visit.

Families with children currently enrolled in the universal system are being encouraged to seek more comprehensive Medicaid coverage, which may be available to children in a family of four earning up to $73,000 annually.

These children also could sign up for the HMSA Children's Plan, which costs about $55 a month.

"Most of them won't be eligible for Medicaid, and that's why they were enrolled in Keiki Care," Diesman said. "It's the gap group that we're trying to ensure has coverage."
Halleluah, and I don't even live in Hawaii. We have a similar program here in WA, thanks to our breederbrained governor. Kids are eligible for the state health insurance up to 300% of the federal poverty level, and the gov keeps raising that limit.

A state official said families were dropping private coverage so their children would be eligible for the subsidized plan. ...

State health officials argued that most of the children enrolled in the universal child care program previously had private health insurance, indicating that it was helping those who didn't need it.

That's exactly what one of my co-irkers did. She bragged openly about how she was taking her kid off our health insurance plan and signing her up for the state plan, which would save her about $300 a month. The rest of us griped about now getting to pay for the brat's health care.

Families with children currently enrolled in the universal system are being encouraged to seek more comprehensive Medicaid coverage, which may be available to children in a family of four earning up to $73,000 annually.

I realize the cost of living in Hawaii is expensive, but that kind of eligibility is complete bullshit. It's STILL a major handout to breeders.

I'm sick of hearing about the "vulnerable children." Those breeders should be immediately sterilized before they can spew out more taxpayer drains. angry flipping off
Re: Hawaii Ending Universal Child Health Care After 7 Mos.
October 17, 2008
Mixed feelings. I think it's in poor kids' interest and perhaps society's long-term interest to get good health care if their parents can't provide it as they should. But it sounds as if this program was poorly implemented if those already with insurance glommed on to the plan designed for those without it.
October 17, 2008
What I don't understand is if they say kids who had private coverage, and could afford private coverage, were allowed at all to get this program. Don't they check these things out before just handing over the money to those who don't need it?
October 17, 2008
Glad to hear this. And of course it's the fault of the greedy, entitled assholes that this got the kabosh.

If commonweaths and states are going to have stuff like this, they need to have a VERY STRICT set of rules for who's eligible, why, for how long, how much, etc. Taking advantage of free health care just because you're a greedy asshole ruins it for the honest people who really need it.
Bravo. We need survival of the fittest.
KidFreeLuvnLife Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Glad to hear this. And of course it's the fault
> of the greedy, entitled assholes that this got the
> kabosh.
>
> If commonweaths and states are going to have stuff
> like this, they need to have a VERY STRICT set of
> rules for who's eligible, why, for how long, how
> much, etc. Taking advantage of free health care
> just because you're a greedy asshole ruins it for
> the honest people who really need it.

Well, in this case I can't blame the people who LEGALLY took advantage of something offered by the state. It's the breeder-pleasing gubmint officials I detest, much like our own governor here. She's sooooo proud of the fact that she keeps adding more and more kids to our brat healthcare program, including kids from famblees who can well afford to pay for their own health care. It's the main reason I'm voting against her next month.

Why not extend the same kind of health care to EVERYONE, not just brats? Oh, but that's too expeeeeeeeeeeensive. angry flipping off
I have no problem with universal healthcare, BUT I don't want it to only be for the chyldren. Our country's healthcare system needs to be seriously revamped. When I think of the elderly or working poor unable to afford doc. visits and meds it breaks my heart. I know in my old age I could be that lady unable to afford asthma meds, and it worries me. Everyone in the country deserves affordable, available healthcare. I'm soooooo sick of everything being for the fricken' kyds.
October 17, 2008
Kudos to them for putting their foot down.
October 17, 2008
Good show, Hawaii! Maybe if breeders start finding out how expensive a kid is by having to bear the cost themselves, maybe you'd start seeing people using some goddamned birth control.

Sure, we need universal health insurance in this country--we won't get it, though, because the US is about forty years behind the times in this as in other thing. Until that happens, I will oppose state insurance for brats.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login