Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Finally, some kids who like healthy food

Posted by barbara 
Theres an advertisement for Quaker Oatmeal where a couple are talking about their kids favorite oatmeal flavor. One kid likes apples and cinnamon and another likes maple syrup.
Re: Finally, some kids who like healthy food
January 13, 2009
and thats got what to do with???

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
Anonymous User
January 13, 2009
good for them? :eh??
January 13, 2009
That's what advertising of formerly healthy food does; It gives the impression of being "healthy", when it's anything BUT "healthy" and certainly not low cal or "diet", by ANY stretch of the imagination. . It does no good what so ever (healthwise) to eat oatmeal if it is doused in and covered up with corn syrup, artifical flavors, and sugar. People who are perpetually on "diets" who claim that they "only" ate a "healthy salad" for lunch every day for a week and STILL gained weight, generally fail to mention a few important facts. They may have had a plate of fresh veggies every day, but they neglected to disclose that they were SMOTHERED with thousand island dressing, macaroni salad, a boatload of croutons, various canned fuits with heavy syrup, and a pound of bacon crumbled on top. I have seen people take a 300 calorie chef salad and load it up to the point that it contained at LEAST 2000 calories, but then pretend that they are "eating healthy".

I saw this a great deal while working in the restaurant business and I busted them at every available opportunity. I will NOT enable people when they are lying about their bad habits, I just will not do it. I have a LOT of respect for a 500 pound person who will openly order the pound o' bacon breakfast with 4 eggs over easy, hash browns smothered in sausage gravy, and a side of french toast, heavy on the syrup, and not make excuses. It's no one's business what other people eat or order, but some feel the need to makes stupid excuses or outright lie about their food choices and I will not tolerate it.
January 13, 2009
We have oatmeal every day for breakfast, but it's plain from the oatmeal can. I'm usually too sleepy to care about the flavor, and I only eat a cup of it or so, with a few raisins thrown in. Not to be a wet blanket, but the oatmeal in the little packets are way more expensive for only a fraction of the oats, and probably have all sorts of artificial stuff in 'em, not to mention the extra packaging trash generated. Regardless, it still beats BooBerry or a Pop-Tart by a mile, or anything eaten in a car on the way to school.
January 14, 2009
we buy plain oatmeal, or porridge, add some milk one spoon of sugar, and it set you up for the day,

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
January 14, 2009
Most ads are about toaster strudel, "100% natural" chicken nuggets, fast food or veggies drowned in Ranch dressing. I do not get the point either. Are you being sarcastic?
January 14, 2009
Yes barbara, as others have pointed out, there's really nothing very healthy about the sugary instant packets of oatmeal, I'm afraid. They're filled to the brim with tons of sugar (usually in the form of high fructose corn syrup) and artificial flavors, colors, and preservatives. And yes, as clematis said, these tricked-up, colorful packets of kinda-oats are a good deal more expensive than plain, healthy oats from the can. A bowl of Lucky Charms is probably pretty close to being on par with these little packets as far as nutritional value (or lack thereof).

I've seen this commercial, or at least a variation of it - the family I saw in the ad had more than two kids and they went down the list, spouting off each of the kid's names, birth order, blah blah blah. This is prior to even beginning to talk about the oatmeal each kid liked. It was truly an example of art imitating a breeder's life.

Since we're on the subject of oatmeal, a really good sweetener for the plain oats is agave nectar - yum!

"The secret of dealing successfully with a child is not to be its parent." -- Mel Lazarus
"Women who miscalculate are called mothers." -- Abigail Van Buren
"Better to be deprived of food for three days, than tea for one." -- Chinese proverb
January 14, 2009
RatsNotBrats
I've seen this commercial, or at least a variation of it - the family I saw in the ad had more than two kids and they went down the list, spouting off each of the kid's names, birth order, blah blah blah. This is prior to even beginning to talk about the oatmeal each kid liked. It was truly an example of art imitating a breeder's life.

Since we're on the subject of oatmeal, a really good sweetener for the plain oats is agave nectar - yum!

I know the exact ad you are talking about and now i'm on the same page. You know what else you can do with oatmeal? If you are not into sweet stuff for breakfast, a light dusting of salt and cayenne.
January 14, 2009
Rose Red

I know the exact ad you are talking about and now i'm on the same page. You know what else you can do with oatmeal? If you are not into sweet stuff for breakfast, a light dusting of salt and cayenne.

Now THAT sounds mighty good, Rosie. I'll give it a try. It reminds me of oatmeal I had once that was cooked with broth instead of water/milk - hmmm - now I'm hungry.

"The secret of dealing successfully with a child is not to be its parent." -- Mel Lazarus
"Women who miscalculate are called mothers." -- Abigail Van Buren
"Better to be deprived of food for three days, than tea for one." -- Chinese proverb
January 14, 2009
I love plain old oatmeal! And Cream of Wheat. Not the instant of either as they're processed to death and taste weird. Honey and pecans with oatmeal is my fav and lots of butter on the Cream of Wheat!!
January 14, 2009
I was raised by hippies eating healthy food. My rebellion when I left home was sugar. SUGAR!!!
I LOVE those packets of oatmeal. Yeah, I know they aren't the healthiest things on earth, but they're yummy and better for you than ice cream or a candy bar. At least they have fiber. Plus, they're very handy for camping.

"It truly is the one commonality that every designation of humans you can think of has, there's at least one asshole."
--Me
January 14, 2009
I have to admit, I love those little packets too. My favorite ones are the "Fruit and Cream Variety Pack." There's nothing that makes me happier on a cold morning.

I love cherry Toaster Strudel, too. :lips

_____________________________________________________________________________________________
"Not every ejaculation deserves a name" - George Carlin
Anonymous User
January 14, 2009
And in case the packages weren't un-nutritious enough...today in the grocery I saw oatmeal with Oreo-type cookie pieces in it.

Eww.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login