Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

12 Stressful jobs to avoid

Posted by Dorisan 
12 Stressful jobs to avoid
September 19, 2010
While I think some of the jobs listed are rewarding for the sense of service (often heroism) they bring, I got to the last one and laughed

12 Seriously Stressful Jobs to Avoid
Re: 12 Stressful jobs to avoid
September 19, 2010
And what's different about the last one is... you can't quit if you get burned out! bouncing and laughing
September 19, 2010
It is the most ridiculous thing. At least they put it last. But it does not belong in the same list as "Air Traffic Controller".

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"I have learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is easy and fun as hell"

:eatu
September 19, 2010
"... This stupid top ten article has been brought to you by... Mumsnet. For all your self-congratulatory needs."

- - - - - - - -
"The death of creativity is a pram in the hallway"
- Cyril Connolly
September 19, 2010
Dorisan
While I think some of the jobs listed are rewarding for the sense of service (often heroism) they bring, I got to the last one and laughed

12 Seriously Stressful Jobs to Avoid

Sure put in SAHMoo but leave out the career that runs as number 1 or 2 on the most dangerous list - Helicopter EMS.

http://emsflightcrew.com/node/4097

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/aviation/safety/medical-helicopter-safety-crashes

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/special/nation/medical-helicopters/

What's even more amusing to me - I do number 9 as a volunteer for a Search and rescue group.
September 19, 2010
I am doing number 5 and completely agree with the assessment. The kids get brattier, more entitled, and dumber every year.
September 19, 2010
gymrat
I am doing number 5 and completely agree with the assessment. The kids get brattier, more entitled, and dumber every year.

Absolutely. I hear this complaint from teachers who are PNBs and who looooove kids!

I agree that stay at home parent does not belong in the list with combat soldier, teacher, and air traffic controller. How insulting.
September 19, 2010
*CHECK* I dun did avoid the most annoying job! I'm so smart!:spin
September 19, 2010
"... Disability Scoop points out that a recent study indicates that moms who care for autistic children experience stress in levels similar to combat soldiers......"

Okay, I don't know who these "Disability Scoop" people are, but they NEED to be bitch slapped for stating this nonsense and calling it "research". I am APPALLED that they would even include SAHMoosim among the "jobs" on this list anyway, but to compare being a moomare to an awtard to a COMBAT SOLDIER? Palease, what an outrage! Let them drop off Tardlynda at a home for a few weeks and go to the front lines of an ongoing war and see if the two can REALLY compare. If they make it back alive, I'd like to hear a report.angry smiley

------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- -------
If YOU are the "exception" to what I am saying, then why does my commentary bother you so much?
I don't hate your kids, I HATE YOU!
September 20, 2010
kidlesskim
"... Disability Scoop points out that a recent study indicates that moms who care for autistic children experience stress in levels similar to combat soldiers......"

Okay, I don't know who these "Disability Scoop" people are, but they NEED to be bitch slapped for stating this nonsense and calling it "research". I am APPALLED that they would even include SAHMoosim among the "jobs" on this list anyway, but to compare being a moomare to an awtard to a COMBAT SOLDIER? Palease, what an outrage! Let them drop off Tardlynda at a home for a few weeks and go to the front lines of an ongoing war and see if the two can REALLY compare. If they make it back alive, I'd like to hear a report.angry smiley

I'm even more appalled that they are suggesting people who want to fight for freedom to basically avoid war by avoided being in combat. I agree that parenting period isn't not the same as having your ass on the line while being fired at. I smell bullshit.

lab mom
September 20, 2010
Well, I have to say that #12 is probably the job I'd least like to do, of that entire list! One thing they all do have in common is that they are all self-chosen--so in that way, it's good to include SAHP because some people seem to think you end up that way thanks to destiny or some shit like that. I actually bet that SAHP of children with disabilities have similar levels of stress hormones to people in combat, because they lack perspective. It's easy to work yourself into a lather about not having KFC for dinner when you've never experienced hunger. If you've ever been starving, well, you know that some particular food isn't worth throwing a tizzy fit over. It's not an objective measure of stress, but a highly subjective one. (Stress hormone levels are objective, but it isn't as if you're comparing the same person's hormone levels in both situations, so the results will be highly colored by each individual's mental processes.)

You know the expression: Once I cried because I had no shoes, and then I met a man with no feet? That's exactly what's going on with #12, except that they haven't met the guy without feet yet.

There isn't a single job on that list I'd sign up for (I've done #5, but only at the university level, and it's not the career for me, even if I don't have to deal with undergrads).
September 20, 2010
yurble
Well, I have to say that #12 is probably the job I'd least like to do, of that entire list! One thing they all do have in common is that they are all self-chosen--so in that way, it's good to include SAHP because some people seem to think you end up that way thanks to destiny or some shit like that. I actually bet that SAHP of children with disabilities have similar levels of stress hormones to people in combat, because they lack perspective. It's easy to work yourself into a lather about not having KFC for dinner when you've never experienced hunger. If you've ever been starving, well, you know that some particular food isn't worth throwing a tizzy fit over. It's not an objective measure of stress, but a highly subjective one. (Stress hormone levels are objective, but it isn't as if you're comparing the same person's hormone levels in both situations, so the results will be highly colored by each individual's mental processes.)

You know the expression: Once I cried because I had no shoes, and then I met a man with no feet? That's exactly what's going on with #12, except that they haven't met the guy without feet yet.

There isn't a single job on that list I'd sign up for (I've done #5, but only at the university level, and it's not the career for me, even if I don't have to deal with undergrads).

I thought about the "study" or research or whatever it is, strictly in terms of a subjective look at the level of stress based on the individual person's responses rather than the actual job to job comparison, but I just could not wrap my brain around a SAHM of an awtard being compared to a combat soldier! Like the shoe complainer V the man with no feet analogy illustrates, these women just do not have a clue because they've never experienced what I would consider REAL stress, not in the grand scheme of things. My thoughts on that are that perhaps they need to exercise a bit of empathy, if there's any room for it with their engorged egos and inflated senses of what their "job" entails.

I am capable of differentiating that type of thing and I'm not especially "spayshul". For example, while often times I feel overwhelmed with my lifestyle, physical "challenges", or just every day shit that happens and honestly believe that it's justified, I can definately understand that responding to an out of control apartment fire with over 100 people still trapped inside and MY action(s) or inaction(s) might save them (or not) and while in the course of my job on a daily basis I might get horribly burned, severely disabled, or even die, is NO WHERE NEAR the same stress that I currently might have on a near daily basis. So, why can't moomares see this? confused smiley

------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- -------
If YOU are the "exception" to what I am saying, then why does my commentary bother you so much?
I don't hate your kids, I HATE YOU!
September 20, 2010
kidlesskim
I thought about the "study" or research or whatever it is, strictly in terms of a subjective look at the level of stress based on the individual person's responses rather than the actual job to job comparison, but I just could not wrap my brain around a SAHM of an awtard being compared to a combat soldier! Like the shoe complainer V the man with no feet analogy illustrates, these women just do not have a clue because they've never experienced what I would consider REAL stress, not in the grand scheme of things. My thoughts on that are that perhaps they need to exercise a bit of empathy, if there's any room for it with their engorged egos and inflated senses of what their "job" entails.

I am capable of differentiating that type of thing and I'm not especially "spayshul". For example, while often times I feel overwhelmed with my lifestyle, physical "challenges", or just every day shit that happens and honestly believe that it's justified, I can definately understand that responding to an out of control apartment fire with over 100 people still trapped inside and MY action(s) or inaction(s) might save them (or not) and while in the course of my job on a daily basis I might get horribly burned, severely disabled, or even die, is NO WHERE NEAR the same stress that I currently might have on a near daily basis. So, why can't moomares see this? confused smiley

I imagine that most could understand it on an intellectual level, unless they are seriously self-absorbed. But most people do not have the level of empathy which allows them to actually place themselves in another person's role, and actually feel what that person would feel. Thus a person's stress hormones are going to be regulated, for the most part, by a person's individual experience.

This isn't unique to breeders. You can read plenty of stories about how a near-death experience caused someone to re-evaluate their priorities and live their life differently. If people were actively thinking about the fragility of life on a regular basis, there would be less emphasis on money and consumption, and more on relationships and accomplishments.

So, I can't really blame them for having high levels of stress hormones, and being unable to put it in perspective on an emotional level (or at least not more than I can blame most of humanity for not being especially introspective), but if any of them for the slightest minute takes that study as evidence that their job is tough by any objective measurement, they are self-absorbed idiots.
September 20, 2010
They mentioned jobs, but sitting on your ass changing diapers/Facebookin' does not come with a salary.

This is the media's way of throwing roses to the poor, put-upon parents. "We know you have it soooo haaaard. You deserve congratulations for doing The Most Important Job in the World!" And the self-satisfied moos and duds will read this and beam proudly, knowing they're as important as soldiers in combat. But the rest of the world knows better.
September 20, 2010
gymrat

Hear-freaking-hear. When a person who's been teaching all their life says "I told my daughter I wouldn't pay for her college if she wants to become a teacher," that's saying something.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________
"Not every ejaculation deserves a name" - George Carlin
September 20, 2010
kidlesskim

Better yet, camouflage the tards, arm 'em with grenades and M16s, pile 'em in a local gymnasium, and emit the smokescreen for the advance of troops. THEN let in the moms who care for the Au-tastics and have them try to apprehend the fuckers for the dreaded bathtime.

Now THAT kind of shitstorm is equivalent to combat soldiers' stressy-ish days.

- - - - - - - -
"The death of creativity is a pram in the hallway"
- Cyril Connolly
September 20, 2010
Amethyst
kidlesskim

Better yet, camouflage the tards, arm 'em with grenades and M16s, pile 'em in a local gymnasium, and emit the smokescreen for the advance of troops. THEN let in the moms who care for the Au-tastics and have them try to apprehend the fuckers for the dreaded bathtime.

Now THAT kind of shitstorm is equivalent to combat soldiers' stressy-ish days.

Have the dumb moos be fired at and walked/drive past an i.e.d. and/or run for the bunker when a missile is launched their way (and they have only mere seconds to run for their life) before they are blown to smithereens. Those who have gone through such an experience suffer from PSTD. That's stress. I known military veterans who have been through such hellish situations as aforementioned. Nothing else compares.

lab mom
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login