Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

18 to 25 year old Britons survey on babies

Posted by equus amor 
equus amor
18 to 25 year old Britons survey on babies
November 01, 2010
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/4/20101007/tuk-birth-and-babies-a-mystery-to-the-yo-dba1618.html

Wow...even though it is a survey, still scary..although explains a lot really....clueless regarding kids, yet they still plunge headlong into it...sure it is all worth it in the end :d'oh
Re: 18 to 25 year old Britons survey on babies
November 01, 2010
This is what we get for the money we put into schools? Quite honestly, it sounds like they'd be better equipped to handle life if they didn't bother with schooling, and just worked on a farm.
November 01, 2010
We have another lost generation... They don't have any contact with anything real or practical, it sounds like. I think you're on to something, Yurble. While I believe in schooling, being raised in a rural area away from certain influences can make the young sufficiently bored and curious to read something, especially if they have chores, although in my experience, it only made them engage in sex, drugs, and drink. Meth is rampant in rural America now. We just went to Iowa and dealt with the ghetto trash shouting at 2 am outside of our nice B&B. Uuuggghhh.
November 01, 2010
While I can't get the article to download for some reason, I believe I get the gist of it and I am not surprised. Just about anything else in life that is entered into short OR long term such as obtaining a license to drive/hunt/fish, various employment, many contractural agreements including marriage, bonds, and home loans require down payments, collateral, or some form of training or educational background and licensure at the very least. Yet, many people just have baybees willy nilly and haven't the first clue about their care, expense, or needs. It amazes me that good people apply to adopt children every single day and have to wait for months and sometimes years to either be "approved" or for the process. They are required in most cases to have a stable marriage, sound finances, reliable employment, good credit, clean background, nice home, and be of a certain age as well. confused smiley

Yet, ANY unmarried teen or young adult who has NO job, NO money, a juvie record, who is ON drugs, living with moo and duh who may ALSO be unemployed(among other things) can just SHIT OUT a baybee and not only are they allowed to keep it, but the government will give them free food, shelter,medical care, and some spending money to boot.:sbx

------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- -------
If YOU are the "exception" to what I am saying, then why does my commentary bother you so much?
I don't hate your kids, I HATE YOU!
November 01, 2010
I love how you have the option to "Enlarge the (poor quality) Photo" of a bulbous inpig stomach. Nooo thank you.
Christhead
I love how you have the option to "Enlarge the (poor quality) Photo" of a bulbous inpig stomach. Nooo thank you.

grinning smiley I didn't see that thankfully.

I agree with Yurble, would benefit a lot of kids to see life on a farm....I just couldn't believe that 20% of them thought pregnancy lasted a year...I mean come on, what the hell? Is it just schooling though? Maybe parents just don't talk to their kids anymore and teach them the basics.
...sorry, don't know how to get the article to be a 'link' that you can click on
November 01, 2010
equus amor
Christhead

grinning smiley I didn't see that thankfully.

I agree with Yurble, would benefit a lot of kids to see life on a farm....I just couldn't believe that 20% of them thought pregnancy lasted a year...I mean come on, what the hell? Is it just schooling though? Maybe parents just don't talk to their kids anymore and teach them the basics.

bouncing and laughing It probably seems like a year due to all of the pre-conception tales of woe, the never ending festivities and bling associated with it during, and then all of the attention whoring after the birth. Seriously, anyone who doesn't know that the typical full term human gestational period is about 9 months is a COMPLETE idiot and doesn't need to be spawning, or much of anything else for that matter if they are THAT unaware and unobservant. I knew that babies took nine months to cook when I was probably about 4-5 years of age.

------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- -------
If YOU are the "exception" to what I am saying, then why does my commentary bother you so much?
November 01, 2010
ShimmyMuse
We have another lost generation... They don't have any contact with anything real or practical, it sounds like. I think you're on to something, Yurble. While I believe in schooling, being raised in a rural area away from certain influences can make the young sufficiently bored and curious to read something, especially if they have chores, although in my experience, it only made them engage in sex, drugs, and drink. Meth is rampant in rural America now. We just went to Iowa and dealt with the ghetto trash shouting at 2 am outside of our nice B&B. Uuuggghhh.

Oh, sure--we just drank and had sex. It was really boring. But we knew the mechanics of pregnancy, from farm animals.
November 01, 2010
equus amor
...sorry, don't know how to get the article to be a 'link' that you can click on

It can be done in one of two ways:

{url=http://thewebsite.com}linked text{/url} where you replace the { } with [ ], or you can click on the image of the globe in the text editor (to the right of the T and to the left of the envelope) and follow the instructions. I often don't make my links clickable, however, because I don't want to create referrer data to the site.

The link worked fine for me, so I don't think this was the problem.
November 01, 2010
Article text, for those who couldn't access the link.

More than 20 per cent of 18 to 25-year-olds questioned thought a pregnancy lasted a year, 10 per cent believed eating red meat influenced the sex of a baby and half expected a baby to walk and talk within its first year. Also, if you douche with 7-up after sex, you won't get pregnant. It's impossible to get pregnant your first time, too.

The poll also revealed that 20 per cent of the childless respondents thought the umbilical cord was a musical note and 27 per cent admitted they would consider genetic engineering if it meant a better-looking baby. How many would do it if it meant the baby would have higher IQ?

The vast majority (70 per cent) were in the dark when it came to the true cost of raising a baby.

A third of the respondents believed that £1,000 would be adequate to cover equipment, food, clothes and toys for a baby's first year when the latest studies suggest it is about nine times higher.
I remember a study showing that this same generation expected that they'd earn £40,000 fresh out of university, so they probably still think £9,000 is affordable.

Relationship expert Tracey Cox said: "The study would suggest that young British adults have a lot of faith in the speed of evolution, with babies walking and talking in their first year." 'Relationship expert' is not a job. This is not "faith in the speed of evolution" no matter how you spin it--it is ignorance. Period.

The sexual divide was still in evidence, with a fifth of those quizzed saying women were better qualified to change nappies. And yet women go on to have babies with people like this. Have they no self respect?

One in five polled expected the labour process to be over in four hours or less, while 12 per cent of respondents believed a Caesarean section was a religious group. A further 15% were unable to distinguish between their left hand and their right hand, increasing to 76% when asked to do so in front of a mirror.
November 01, 2010
Thanks for the copy-paste yurble.thumbs upwink

"....10 per cent believed eating red meat influenced the sex of a baby..."

WHERE did they get these people? I am hoping that the people surveyed were just playing and around and not taking it seriously because for an adult to think that red meat could influence gender is unbelievable. That, and they think that a baby only costs less than a hundred dollars a month in the first year? Wow, this is mind boggling that people can be so stupid and unaware about common knowledge things. That comment about the Ceasararean section being a religious group really makes me think that this is a bogus "survey". God I hope so. Even though it probably shouldn't, this level of stupidity disturbs me.:smn

November 01, 2010
kidlesskim
Thanks for the copy-paste yurble.thumbs upwink

"....10 per cent believed eating red meat influenced the sex of a baby..."

WHERE did they get these people? I am hoping that the people surveyed were just playing and around and not taking it seriously because for an adult to think that red meat could influence gender is unbelieveable. That, and they think that a baby only costs less than a hundred dollars a month in the first year? Wow, this is mind boggling that people can be so stupid and unaware about common knowledge things. That comment about the Ceasararean section being a religious group really makes me think that this is a bogus "survey". God I hope so. Even though it probably shouldn't, this level of stupidity disturbs me.:smn

Yes, one hopes that they were just being teenagers and giving bullshit answers to see if adults would buy it.
Thanks for the 'links' explanation Yurble... smiling smiley
November 01, 2010
I've gotta admit I have no idea whatsoever when talking and walking happens.

I assume it's around the time when they start looking less like fleshy blobs and more like short, wobbly humans, but I'm not sure when that is either.
Basically, if they're under 13 I'm probably not going to be able to guess their age, I don't pay enough attention to differentiate between them. bouncing and laughing

Even so, you'd have to be pretty dumb not to know that pregnancy is 9 months- it's referenced quite a lot in everyday lives and jokes.

(As a side note- Tracey Cox is a piss poor relationship expert. My favourite adult toy shop is the manufacturer of her stuff, and they literally have to give it away. It's terrible- all pink, clichéd, and just not very good.)
November 01, 2010
My guess is that they 'round up the surveyors from the local trialer park. shrug

lab mom
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login