Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Child safe locks on antiques

Posted by blondie 
Child safe locks on antiques
November 02, 2010
I wanted to purchase a vintage Lane cedar chest. Apparently for some time there has been a recall on every chest made since 1912 due to the automatic locking mechanism. Of course, some kyds suffocated in them. All chest owners were told to replace the original lock with their new lock. Ebay will not allow sales of chests with the original locks. The antique stores and private owners seem to all have replaced the locks, therefore altering the original state of the antique. When I asked if they kept the old locks, they look dismayed and say they threw them out. Sorry, but I wanted an intact original antique cedar chest. My mother has one and has not replaced the lock. Guess I'll have to wait to inherit hers (sorry mum) because I won't be finding one out there.
Re: Child safe locks on antiques
November 02, 2010
Maybe you can find one from before 1912? Or is that when they started making them?
November 02, 2010
yurble
Maybe you can find one from before 1912? Or is that when they started making them?

That's right. The recall is for the lock of every chest ever made that uses the old type. I was looking for something from the 30s-50s. I get why the company is doing this but the owners could replace the lock and keep the old one because it is part of the original piece. It isn't illegal to have one with the old lock but people are silly and panic because out of the thousands of these things that people have owned over a hundred years, a couple of unsupervised kydz made a fatal mistake.
November 02, 2010
It wouldn't even be an issue if you kept things in the trunk, so that there was no room for a child to get inside. What's next: a recall on all fridges because they don't have a latch that you can open from the inside, and some child might be playing in a junkyard and get inside of one and suffocate? (I'm sure some have done that.) The world is not child safe.
November 02, 2010
That's ridiculous! Because moos don't watch their brats and a few end up suffocating, due to moo's inattention, antique chests have effectively been ruined by having to have the original lock removed. Just more selfish crap courtesy of breeders who cannot be arsed to pay attention to their brats.
November 02, 2010
Wow, that's interesting. I had no idea. My sister has my mom's old cedar chest (it's not a Lane though). I'd say it is from the 1950's. I'm fairly certain it has the original locking mechanism on it. It is a push-button lock; you just push the little button and lift the top/lid, and when you close the lid it snaps shut. The only way to open it is to push the button and hold it in and lift the lid. I think it had a key too so you can lock the push-button to keep people from opening it. The lid was heavy as hell. There was no way I could have lifted that lid when I was very young, and not only that my mom kept a ton of stuff in it so there was no way I could crawl inside of it even if I could lift the lid. She also kept stuff on top of it. And lastly, it was hers and I knew better than to mess with it.

Interesting little tidbit though about the recall.
November 02, 2010
Parents are getting lazier, and their kids are becoming more and more stupid.

Humanity, as a whole, we're screwed. :kill

lab mom
November 02, 2010
i think the cedar chests here have the original locks. good luck prying any of them out of my parents' hands, though.
November 03, 2010
The whole world must be childproofed. How did we survive before?

JD
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login