Advanced

Mom Happy 10 Year Old Gave Birth

Posted by annie35 
Mom Happy 10 Year Old Gave Birth
November 03, 2010
Mom in Spain Happy That Her 10-Year-Old Gave Birth

Published November 03, 2010 | Associated Press

advertisement
MADRID -- A Romanian Gypsy woman whose 10-year-old daughter just gave birth in Spain says she's delighted to have a new granddaughter and doesn't understand why the birth has shocked anyone -- let alone become an international sensation.

Spanish authorities have released few details about the case to protect the girl's privacy.

But in comments published Wednesday, her mother told reporters the baby's father is a 13-year-old boy who is still in Romania and is no longer going out with her daughter.

The 10-year-old girl and her baby daughter plan to stay in Spain because the young couple separated, said the girl's mother. She identified herself only as Olimpia and appeared to be in her 30s but did not give her age.

She also said she didn't understand the attention the case was generating because she and her daughter are Romanian Gypsies, or Roma, and their custom is to allow girls to marry young even though that's against the law in Romania.

"That's the way we get married," the girl's mother told reporters Tuesday outside the modest apartment building in the southern town of Lebrija where the family lives.

Meanwhile, the story was going viral on the Internet and causing an uproar in Spain.

"Mother at 10 years old" blared a headline in Barcelona's La Vanguardia newspaper, which dedicated two pages to the story.

The girl moved to Spain about three weeks ago, her mother said, and her baby was born in a public hospital last week in the nearby city of Jerez de la Frontera. There were no complications during the birth, and the 10-year-old and her baby are doing fine, her mother said.

"She's doing well and is very happy with her daughter," the woman said.

Under Spanish law, having consensual sex with someone under age 13 is classified as child abuse. But a Justice Ministry official said this particular case is complicated, because the alleged father is not in Spain and is also a minor. It is not clear whether he could be charged, said the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because of ministry policy.

Romanian law allows girls to get married at age 16 with parental consent, or at 18 without it.

But arranged "marriages" between teenagers are relatively common among Roma, who make up about 1.5 million of Romania's 22 million people. Families "marry off" daughters when they reach puberty, with the "husband" usually being a couple of years older. The marriages are not recognized by the state.

Roma girls are often not encouraged to pursue a full education, and Romanian authorities do not widely enforce education laws that require children to attend school until age 16.

In 2003, there was an international outcry after the European Union envoy to Romania, Baroness Emma Nicholson, demanded that a 12-year-old Roma girl and her 15-year-old common-law husband separate and cease all intimate relations until they were legally able to be married.

News about the 10-year-old mother barely registered in Romania, with stories buried inside newspapers focusing on the controversy the birth had caused among Spaniards.

T wo
H ousehold
I ncome
N o
K ids
E arly
R etirement
Re: Mom Happy 10 Year Old Gave Birth
November 03, 2010
Grand-moo BABY RABID!openmouthed shock

She probably isn't the kind to care if her little kid perished from a bloody obstetric fistula OR raped by some pedophile waiting in the shadows to pass on his AIDS!
Anonymous User
November 03, 2010
Of course she wouldn't Banshee, she's Roma. That's their culture and it keeps women and girls ignorant and compliant. The line on arranged marriages kinda says all you need to know about how the girls are treated.
November 03, 2010
Stories like this make me grateful for whichever ancestors of mine who had the presence of mind to get on a goddamn boat and come to the US. I cannot imagine having to live like that.
November 03, 2010
herbalgeek
Stories like this make me grateful for whichever ancestors of mine who had the presence of mind to get on a goddamn boat and come to the US. I cannot imagine having to live like that.

Me too.

lab mom
November 03, 2010
This is really sad...right up there with child brides or genital mutilation on the level of sadness. sad smiley Even if the 10 year old is thrilled to be a mother, it's still an abusive cultural practice. I'm not really surprised that young moms are getting younger. I don't think it's sexual practices that are changing, but the age of puberty is getting pushed back at an alarming rate, brought on by childhood obesity or other factors.
November 03, 2010
Sadly, the girl is probably estatically happy and proud of her baybee.eye rolling smiley I too am so glad that this wasn't my cultural upbringing, but it's all that they have ever known and probably all that they will EVER know. I can't imagine that her body was ready to spawn either and if she is aready getting started at the age of ten, can anyone imagine how many baybees she will have had by the time that she is 40? Talk about a Clown Car! This girl's twat will likely put Michelle Duggar's ravaged cooter to shame since she is getting a ten year+ jump on her! I wonder if the Roma males mind hooking up with-marrying single moos or if this is frowned upon?confused smiley

------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- -------
If YOU are the "exception" to what I am saying, then why does my commentary bother you so much?
I don't hate your kids, I HATE YOU!
November 04, 2010
Can this be merged with the other thread on the topic, http://www.refugees.bratfree.com/read.php?2,81501
News: 'baby' mama
November 03, 2010
A 10-year-old girl from Romania has given birth in southern Spain, officials in the region have said.

Link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11684854

The father of the baby is also believed to be a minor, aged 13, who is still in Romania, Spanish media have said.

The baby's grandmother, who is a Roma gypsy, was photographed in Spanish newspapers smiling outside the family's modest block of flats in the town of Lebrija, AFP reports.

Her 10-year-old daughter is reported to have moved to Spain from Romania just three weeks ago.

The woman, identified only as Olimpia, was quoted as saying that the mother was "very well, like the daughter, who is very well and very pretty".

According to the Andalucia daily, Diario de Jerez, which first reported the story, the grandmother could not understand the wide level of interest in the case as "this is the age we get married in Romania".

The latest statistics show that 177 girls under the age of 15 gave birth in Spain in 2008.
Re: News: 'baby' mama
November 03, 2010
Fine. They'll have to steal a lot more clothespegs to live now, so they better get cracking.

- - - - - - - -
"The death of creativity is a pram in the hallway"
- Cyril Connolly
November 03, 2010
Nobody should start menstruating until they're 30. It would solve a lot of problems.
November 03, 2010
I bet grandmoo is only 30. The fact that she's delighted about it disturbs me.
November 03, 2010
The Grinch
Nobody should start menstruating until they're 30. It would solve a lot of problems.

THIS!

Yurble
I bet grandmoo is only 30. The fact that she's delighted about it disturbs me.

It disturbs me too.

lab mom
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login