Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Will it soon be safe to fly...

Posted by navi8orgirl 
Will it soon be safe to fly...
December 09, 2010
Saw this on the news this morning...the NTSB is pushing to get parents to buckle their kids in while on planes. They are moving for "voluntary" for now but we know parents won't spend the money for the seat.

They should be in seats...there are at least two incidents (US Airways Hudson landing, and Continental's skidding off the runway in Denver) where kids could have or did become projectiles. Yet parents don't want to spend the money because "well, we can share a seat belt."

WASHINGTON — The nation's transportation safety watchdogs will try to persuade the public today to voluntarily buckle their infants into child-safety seats on planes after failing for decades to get the government to order it.
The National Transportation Safety Board (NTScool smiley, which monitors and advises on travel safety, has investigated several accidents in which airliners were buffeted so severely that babies sitting in parents' laps were flung through the air, sometimes with tragic consequences.

"If we are so careful to strap our children into car seats when we drive to the airport, then why are we not as diligent in securing them in a seat of their own on the aircraft?" NTSB Chairwoman Deborah Hersman says.

The agency is having a one-day forum on the importance of child-safety restraints in aircraft and motor vehicles.

Now, parents can hold their infants in their laps on planes and secure them with their own seatbelts. But accident investigators say that it's impossible to hold onto a baby in an accident, which could turn a 20-pound child into the equivalent of a 100-pound missile. "Was it hard holding onto a baby in a plane crash? Absolutely," says Jim Whitaker, who volunteered to safeguard the 9-month-old boy whose mother was sitting next to him on the US Airways flight that splashed down onto the Hudson River on Jan. 15, 2009.

Tess Sosa, who handed baby Damian to Whitaker, says what she saw during the rough water landing convinced her that child restraints should be required.

After decades of public debate between accident investigators and aviation regulators, there's little likelihood that the rules — which allow children age 2 and under to sit in a parent's lap — will change any time soon.

The Federal Aviation Administration, the government agency that regulates airlines, agrees that babies should sit in approved car seats or other restraint devices when flying.

Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood last month in his blog urged parents traveling during the holidays to strap in their babies on planes.

But the FAA concluded in 2004 that it wouldn't require families to buy an airline seat for babies because the increased cost would shift travel onto more dangerous highways, thereby causing more deaths than it would save.

"There has not been a preventable commercial aviation fatality of a child under 2 in 16 years," says FAA spokeswoman Alison Duquette.

For Hersman and other child-safety advocates, the lack of recent fatalities is little solace.

Whitaker successfully held onto baby Damian in the Hudson River crash landing last year. But a passenger aboard a Continental Airlines jet that skidded off a runway in Denver on Dec. 20, 2008, briefly lost her grasp on her child.

The unidentified woman told NTSB investigators that as the jet bounced over gullies, her baby "floated" out of her arms toward the seat in front of her before she could grab the child out of the air.

Patricia Friend, president of the Association of Flight Attendants union, says that airlines and the FAA should do more to promote use of safety seats, such as providing training on how to correctly install the seats.

Airlines encourage passengers to use the safety seats and have urged the FAA to require the seats, says David Castelveter, spokesman for the Air Transport Association, which represents large carriers.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
From a bottle cap message on a Magic Hat #9 beer: Condoms Prevent Minivans
I want to pick up a bus full of unruly kids and feed them gummi bears and crack, then turn them loose in Hobby Lobby to ransack the place. They will all be wearing T shirts that say "You Could Have Prevented This."
Anonymous User
Re: Will it soon be safe to fly...
December 09, 2010
Here's an idea; don't bring babies on a plane. I didn't see the inside of an airplane until I was 10 years old.
December 09, 2010
My first flight was at 14. We drove everywhere until then.

I want to pick up a bus full of unruly kids and feed them gummi bears and crack, then turn them loose in Hobby Lobby to ransack the place. They will all be wearing T shirts that say "You Could Have Prevented This."
December 09, 2010
I made took one round-trip flight before the age of 15. I really don't see the point of bringing children who are too young to remember the experience.

Anyhow, I'm sure nothing will be done about requiring seats for them until there are some infant fatalities as a result of the current policy--even if several adults get severely injured by being hit with flying baby.
December 09, 2010
If it ends up being required, then the kyd will have to have it's own seat and the cost will undoubtedly be passed down to all other passengers in the form of a higher fare since the little bastards fly for free. I have never understood this "kids travel free", "kids eat free", "kids stay free" bullshit in the first place! Like many breeders like to remind everyone,"... they ARE just small people afterall!". So, let them pay small peoples' fares then! I have seen children eat more than an adult and the baybees and all of their accessories often take up MORE room than an adult too, so the parents should be charged for the space that their kyd and it's accessories take up anyway. They wouldn't dream of allowing an adult passenger to drag an extra 20 pound bag on unpaid for and hold it in his lap during the flight, so I fail to see the difference.

------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- -------
If YOU are the "exception" to what I am saying, then why does my commentary bother you so much?
I don't hate your kids, I HATE YOU!
Anonymous User
December 09, 2010
kidlesskim
If it ends up being required, then the kyd will have to have it's own seat and the cost will undoubtedly be passed down to all other passengers in the form of a higher fare since the little bastards fly for free. I have never understood this "kids travel free", "kids eat free", "kids stay free" bullshit in the first place! Like many breeders like to remind everyone,"... they ARE just small people afterall!". So, let them pay small peoples' fares then! I have seen children eat more than an adult and the baybees and all of their accessories often take up MORE room than an adult too, so the parents should be charged for the space that their kyd and it's accessories take up anyway. They wouldn't dream of allowing an adult passenger to drag an extra 20 pound bag on unpaid for and hold it in his lap during the flight, so I fail to see the difference.

This.

There really should be a fare for kids to travel. If it were a reality, it may discourage breeders from travelling with them so much. Chances are we'd not be forced to endure quite so many long-haul flights with a squealing loaf on board.
December 09, 2010
Maybe they should be allowed to stuff them under the seat like I have to do with my laptop bag. waving hellolarious

Frankly, even if they paid reduced fares, it is safer for all if they are strapped in. But it is cheaper, easier and more lucrative to hold the baby, then sue the airline for hitting turbulence.

December 09, 2010
Mine was at 11, to see my brother, whom I didn't really care for anyway, graduate from college. We didn't even travel much before then, my parents didn't believe in taking annual vacations, they considered it a waste of money.

JD
December 09, 2010
If I was injured by an unsecured child that became a projectile, you bet your ass I'd be suing everyone remotely responsible.
They are acknowledging in advance that this is a problem and are taking no action.
December 09, 2010
kidlesskim

You know, you're so right about the hypocrisy. One minute the moos are trying to convince us that K'Hai-Leagh and Jaidonne are individuals who must not be denied their teachable moments in stores, restaurants and other public venues, they must have frigging Cirque du Soleil birthday parties starting at age 1 because their sensitive little feelings would wither with the old standard of a cupcake after the normal family meal; we have to put up with their unintelligible babbling on home answering machines and intercepted telephone calls because "they are people too," not to mention the cutesy written-as-if-from-baby-einstein cards, blog posts, FB entries, etc. -- and per some of the mawm boards we must not stare at them too hard or we'll hurt their peewins, we must not even look at them or breathe on them without parental permission lest their delicate minds be exposed to our strange glares.

But jesus, the minute cold hard cash comes into play (at least, if it's coming from the direction of their pocket to society, instead of the other way around) suddenly Madysinne and Ja-Herrod and Elijah-Evan are just hand luggage and no matter what amount of space, air, water, food and other resources they consume, the parents want us to play along with the fiction that surely this insignificant little practically invisibile munchkin can't possibly be using enough of anything to be worth charging for! The idea! As some have noted, I've seen kids eat far more than me and other adults at a sitting -- and we don't use 55 napkins, spill drinks, pee in "free" hotel beds and otherwise create extra expense and work for the proprietors who are passing along the cost of these freebies-to-kids to us, the paying customers.

As to the issue at hand: It's absurd that pets have to be properly restrained in a passenger cabin and human beings don't. The argument that more would die on the highways is absurd -- there's no way to say for sure that the family priced out of airline tickets would be the same family squashed by a semi on I-75 en route to Disney World. I don't notice the argument being made in any sphere that we must make it more affordable and convenient for ADULTS to fly because WE might get killed on the road. Last winter I needed to get to Philadelphia on business and it was right after the Christmas Day underwear bomber; I knew airports would be worse than usual so said screw it and rented a car (mine is old) and drove the whole way. It was actually quite pleasant but I never would have done it if not for the present-day "security" hassles that make flying such a pain in the ass. But oddly no federal regulators are worried about addressing my concerns (which overlap with those of millions of PAYING travelers) and keeping me off the highways.
December 09, 2010
rabbits_rats_rotties
This.

There really should be a fare for kids to travel. If it were a reality, it may discourage breeders from travelling with them so much. Chances are we'd not be forced to endure quite so many long-haul flights with a squealing loaf on board.

Write your congress-critter and tell them to pass this bill!

Imagine no more babies on planes because of cheapass parents!

Imagine.

Yes.
December 09, 2010
Melanie

You know, you're so right about the hypocrisy. One minute the moos are trying to convince us that K'Hai-Leagh and Jaidonne are individuals who must not be denied their teachable moments in stores, restaurants and other public venues, they must have frigging Cirque du Soleil birthday parties starting at age 1 because their sensitive little feelings would wither with the old standard of a cupcake after the normal family meal; we have to put up with their unintelligible babbling on home answering machines and intercepted telephone calls because "they are people too," not to mention the cutesy written-as-if-from-baby-einstein cards, blog posts, FB entries, etc. -- and per some of the mawm boards we must not stare at them too hard or we'll hurt their peewins, we must not even look at them or breathe on them without parental permission lest their delicate minds be exposed to our strange glares.

But jesus, the minute cold hard cash comes into play (at least, if it's coming from the direction of their pocket to society, instead of the other way around) suddenly Madysinne and Ja-Herrod and Elijah-Evan are just hand luggage and no matter what amount of space, air, water, food and other resources they consume, the parents want us to play along with the fiction that surely this insignificant little practically invisibile munchkin can't possibly be using enough of anything to be worth charging for! The idea! As some have noted, I've seen kids eat far more than me and other adults at a sitting -- and we don't use 55 napkins, spill drinks, pee in "free" hotel beds and otherwise create extra expense and work for the proprietors who are passing along the cost of these freebies-to-kids to us, the paying customers.

QFT Thank you
The double standard is amazing.

Miss_Hannigan
Write your congress-critter and tell them to pass this bill!

Imagine no more babies on planes because of cheapass parents!

Imagine.

Yes.

waving hellolarious

_____________________________________________________________________________________________
"Not every ejaculation deserves a name" - George Carlin
December 09, 2010
Imagine and Yes made me waving hellolarious

December 09, 2010
I have an idea-have the extra seat be "free" and have the required restraint system be 1000 bucks per hour of flight time. There. No more children on flights.
December 09, 2010
NO INFANTS OR BAYBEEZ ON PLANES. PERIOD.
December 09, 2010
Would be nice to see a sign "you must be this tall to fly this flight." Too bad it probably won't happen.

December 09, 2010
navi8orgirl
Would be nice to see a sign "you must be this tall to fly this flight." Too bad it probably won't happen.

That would be nice. We can dream, can't we?

lab mom
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login