Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Salesman says "I can tell you don't have kids"grinning smiley

Posted by Dorisan 
Salesman says "I can tell you don't have kids"grinning smiley
December 12, 2010
So, we're in our new (to us) house and pet rules have to be established - namely, which part of the house they can occupy when we're not around. Our other house had doors; this one has been made more open by taking them down (we're downsizing to about 1100 sq ft from 1800) so we need a gate. I check Petsmart and squawk at their prices, then notice that a linen and bath store has the same for about 1/2 as much. We hit the store Friday (me asking myself "what bad economy?" confused smiley mygawd, the crowds! doh face my crowd phobia kicked in; I had to keep hold of Dh to stop from freakin' out :scr ) and noticed, to our dismay, that we'd have to go to the Baby section to pick out a gate.

There was a display on the floor of different size gates. We chose the one best for us, then went to look for it on the shelf. Honestly, Dh and I were lost. It was such a cacophony of baby merchandise. What looked like a car lot version of strollers, line up by price, size, and number of accessories. They had an aisle of car seats; a section of cribs; a half acre, it seemed, of baby linens, baby clothes, baby bottles and baby toys. Worse was the women trolling the baby stuff. Rude cows angry flipping off You couldn't get by them, the way they gathered in earnest clumps. They were busy talking, comparing and bragging about their babies, totally mooblivious to people who might be there for a purpose. We've always given that section of the store a wide berth; being in the midst of all that non-essential to our lives kindercrap, plus surrounded by a herd of cuds was causing me to approach meltdown status. I'm sure they were well familiar with a two-year-old having a tantrum in a store, they were about to see a 50-year-old do a close imitation ranting

Dh took my arm and prepared to steer me out; I had muttered a loud "would you get the fuck outa the way!" to a couple of moos blocking the aisle with strollers and ignoring Dh's polite "excuse me, we need to get through" request. I think a salesman noticed we were going in circles in that department; he seemed to magically appear, asking "can I help you folks?" Both of us kind of wild-eyed at that point, I directed him to the display and asked where we could find that kind of gate. He swiveled and pointed to the large number of boxes, just two aisles over. He helped Dh get one down, solicitously asked if that was the kind we wanted, and then said "ya know, I don't mean to be rude, but is this for a baby?" I guess he noticed that there was a yawning difference between Dh and I, middle age, and the younger moos, or maybe our total confusion, being in that area. Dh stammered "uh, noooo .. for our dogs." The salesmen laughed and said "thought so. seems like the only people I ever have to assist in this aisle are looking for pet gates." He then poked Dh and said "good for you folks. I can't wait to get transferred over to the bed 'n bath section. this side of the store drives me nuts!"
Anonymous User
Re: Salesman says "I can tell you don't have kids"grinning smiley
December 12, 2010
You aren't alone.

Against my wishes, I was dragged to Babies R' Us to hunt for shower gifts. There's nothing more mind-numbing than wading through a giant store that has absolutely nothing I could possibly want from it.

What looked like a car lot version of strollers, line up by price, size, and number of accessories.

Fuck me running, have you seen the prices on some of those things? I'm suprised some of those strollers don't come with OnStar and XM Radio given the kind of money they're asking. In high school I had a 1980 hatchback Chevette that didn't have anywhere near the amount of safety features some of those strollers were touting.

Worse was the women trolling the baby stuff. Rude cows. You couldn't get by them, the way they gathered in earnest clumps. They were busy talking, comparing and bragging about their babies, totally mooblivious to people who might be there for a purpose.

Ever see that old film of bacteria exponentially replicating from just one spore? That's pretty much how it goes. One moo becomes two moos. Then two becomes four and so on. Break out a cattle-prod and start administering some voltage to these moos so they'll eventually corral themselves elsewhere.
December 12, 2010
micah
Ever see that old film of bacteria exponentially replicating from just one spore? That's pretty much how it goes. One moo becomes two moos. Then two becomes four and so on. Break out a cattle-prod and start administering some voltage to these moos so they'll eventually corral themselves elsewhere.

Alas, unlike in Conway's game of life, a cell which is completely surrounded by others does not die off.
December 12, 2010
I'm glad you found what you were looking for after going through that nonsense.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"I have learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is easy and fun as hell"

:eatu
Anonymous User
December 12, 2010
I drove a 1980 Chevy Chevette too!

looked like shit, but ran like a top.
December 12, 2010
i would have been "fuck it-we'll use clothes baskets."
December 12, 2010

"seems like the only people I ever have to assist in this aisle are looking for pet gates."

Interesting. So apparently parunts aren't buying the gates to protect Pweshus. Either they're too cheap or think the gates are self-esteem-destroyers, or both. eye rolling smiley

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Shauna's like a gluten-free Jim Jones for dumb, lifeless middle-aged women. I swear, this bitch could set fire to a orphanage and they would applaud her for bringing them light. ~ Miss Hannigan
December 12, 2010
CrabCake

"seems like the only people I ever have to assist in this aisle are looking for pet gates."

Interesting. So apparently parunts aren't buying the gates to protect Pweshus. Either they're too cheap or think the gates are self-esteem-destroyers, or both. eye rolling smiley

Or they are intimately familiar with the entire children's department, having spent hours there because of their aspirational consumerism.
Anonymous User
December 12, 2010
Backwards speaker tower=puppys stay out.

Brats-R-Us = crying amy.
December 12, 2010
yurble
Or they are intimately familiar with the entire children's department, having spent hours there because of their aspirational consumerism.

Bingo Thank you

I felt like an atheist in a religious supply store, staring around in befuddlement with one thought: "what is all this crap?" I mean, do parents really need all that stuff?

I told Dh that I was going to look at the stock figures for some of those products with an eye to investment. That shit sells. doh face (or would that be traitorous for a CF - kind of like a pacifist buying stock in munitions? eye rolling smiley )
Miss_Hannigan NLI
December 12, 2010
Dorisan
I told Dh that I was going to look at the stock figures for some of those products with an eye to investment. That shit sells. doh face (or would that be traitorous for a CF - kind of like a pacifist buying stock in munitions? eye rolling smiley )

thumbs upwink I don't think it's traitorous at all. It's taking advantage of an opportunity and moo stupidity. Why do they make $700 strollers? Because someone will buy them.
December 12, 2010
Mercifully, I haven't been to a baybee store- merchandise aisle in a LONG time. The only thing that comes close is bad enough and that's the baybee aisle at the grocery store. I like wipes, lotion, powder, etc....because it's non allergenic, not heavily perfumed, and cheaper than the shit that's specifically manufactured for people with sensitive skin. EVERY time just about though, even though I carefully scope it out for moos before I step into the pen, one (or two or three) will waddle on up and inevitably start talking about their loaf in tow or their calf in vitro. No other aisle or Kroger situation causes these immediate and spontaneous store-buddy relationships that an assumed loaf in common does. It reminds me of the SBLS (sudden brotherly love syndrome) that occurs during inclement weather and after national tragedies and disasters like 9-11.

Like disasters, shared visuals of a funnel cloud, and national tragedies, I suppose that calving and shitsacks just brings people together. :bayybeemoo with baybeemfriendly hug (confused smiley)

------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- -------
If YOU are the "exception" to what I am saying, then why does my commentary bother you so much?
I don't hate your kids, I HATE YOU!
Anonymous User
December 12, 2010
But, Kidlesskim, being breeders counts as a bond of shared tragedy and disaster, doesn't it? grinning smiley
December 12, 2010
zatoth
i would have been "fuck it-we'll use clothes baskets."

Me too. Dori, you have my condolences. For my own reason alone for not wanting to mess with that filth, I stick to buying dog stuff at pet stores. I may pay more, but I avoid all that breeder hysteria.

lab mom
December 12, 2010
Miss_Hannigan NLI
Dorisan

thumbs upwink I don't think it's traitorous at all. It's taking advantage of an opportunity and moo stupidity. Why do they make $700 strollers? Because someone will buy them.

waving hellolarious

kidlesskim
Mercifully, I haven't been to a baybee store- merchandise aisle in a LONG time. The only thing that comes close is bad enough and that's the baybee aisle at the grocery store. I like wipes, lotion, powder, etc....because it's non allergenic, not heavily perfumed, and cheaper than the shit that's specifically manufactured for people with sensitive skin. EVERY time just about though, even though I carefully scope it out for moos before I step into the pen, one (or two or three) will waddle on up and inevitably start talking about their loaf in tow or their calf in vitro. No other aisle or Kroger situation causes these immediate and spontaneous store-buddy relationships that an assumed loaf in common does. It reminds me of the SBLS (sudden brotherly love syndrome) that occurs during inclement weather and after national tragedies and disasters like 9-11.

Like disasters, shared visuals of a funnel cloud, and national tragedies, I suppose that calving and shitsacks just brings people together. :bayybeemoo with baybeemfriendly hug (confused smiley)

BLECH. two faces puking two faces puking

lab mom
December 12, 2010
amy
But, Kidlesskim, being breeders counts as a bond of shared tragedy and disaster, doesn't it? grinning smiley

That was my point!bouncing and laughing

------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- -------
If YOU are the "exception" to what I am saying, then why does my commentary bother you so much?
I don't hate your kids, I HATE YOU!
December 12, 2010
CrabCake

I gotta 'fess up to some parent-style dithering blushing

As Dh was setting up the gate (muttering, cussing at the complex instructions and remarking "I thought I'd get a pass on this kind of nonsense when we decided NO KIDS") I was whirring around, speculating "you don't think they can get their heads through? Is this going to be high enough - Hanshi is a jumper. oooohhh, I know the pupsters aren't going to like this." eye rolling smiley I stopped after receiving an exasperated glare from Dh but, later, trying to take a nap, kept sitting up and listening as they whined, scratched, and tried to gauge the weak points for escape. Bed covers scattered, my pillow flew, I exclaimed "that's Hanshi!" when I heard one of the dogs start shrieking. Turns out it was him, but he was merely throwing a tantrum because he couldn't get over the gate. At our old place, we put them in the mudroom and shut the door - they couldn't see the rest of the house. Here, they're having to get over being barred from the kitchen while still being able to see in. Seems there are some spoiled habits we're going to have to work on breaking.
December 12, 2010
What a nightmare. I probably would have had a panic attack in the midst of mooos. You guys were very brave to go to that store. I surely would have checked out a pet store (ANY excuse to go to a pet store, my weakness!) first. Glad you got what you needed in the end though! Good luck with the training.
Miss_Hannigan NLI
December 12, 2010
When we adopted our furry brat, the agency recommended the baby store for gates, too. Still ended up paying nearly $75 for the hunk of plastic and metal. A week later I saw them at every garage sale for 5-10 bucks. Man, I felt like we were hosed.
December 13, 2010
Seacreature
What a nightmare. I probably would have had a panic attack in the midst of mooos. You guys were very brave to go to that store. I surely would have checked out a pet store (ANY excuse to go to a pet store, my weakness!) first. Glad you got what you needed in the end though! Good luck with the training.

I love and adore pet stores. It must be a cf thing.

Miss_Hannigan NLI
When we adopted our furry brat, the agency recommended the baby store for gates, too. Still ended up paying nearly $75 for the hunk of plastic and metal. A week later I saw them at every garage sale for 5-10 bucks. Man, I felt like we were hosed.

That sucks. but at least the new one you bought hasn't been abused by bratlings. grinning smiley

lab mom
December 13, 2010
WaterLily
I stick to buying dog stuff at pet stores. I may pay more, but I avoid all that breeder hysteria.

Yeah, we buy food and chewies at Petsmart because we can get them in bulk there, plus, that store supports several local rescues. However, when it comes to more expensive items, I'm not going to be rooked.

Didn't find out til later, but the Big Box home improvement stores are a good source, though we'll have to order the second gate we'll need. Home Depot has a good selection; quite stylish, too. $70 for this

December 13, 2010
Petco and Petsmart sell dog gates. Had to buy one to keep the pugs out of the Kitty Roca box.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
From a bottle cap message on a Magic Hat #9 beer: Condoms Prevent Minivans
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I want to pick up a bus full of unruly kids and feed them gummi bears and crack, then turn them loose in Hobby Lobby to ransack the place. They will all be wearing T shirts that say "You Could Have Prevented This."
December 13, 2010

Kitty Roca

waving hellolarious

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Shauna's like a gluten-free Jim Jones for dumb, lifeless middle-aged women. I swear, this bitch could set fire to a orphanage and they would applaud her for bringing them light. ~ Miss Hannigan
Anonymous User
December 14, 2010
Dorisan

Dh took my arm and prepared to steer me out; I had muttered a loud "would you get the fuck outa the way!" to a couple of moos blocking the aisle with strollers and ignoring Dh's polite "excuse me, we need to get through" request.

That pretty much sums up my mood anytime I have to venture into big stores during peak shopping hours. I think I get a case of spontaneous swearing when I have to deal with that stuff. I usually try to keep it to myself, but lately I've noticed it gets more and more audible. I mean I know I can hear it, definitely not under my breath anymore.

My husband is mellower and somehow more tolerant of people than I am, so no doubt he would've been polite in that situation, too, even if annoyed. He is a good balancer for my Irish temper which usually skips the slow burn part and goes straight to spontaneous combustion. I don't have as much patience for ignorance or rudeness. Like one of my uncles says, my aura probably has little devils floating around it when I'm in crowds. Maybe so, but it doesn't always keep everyone out of my way when I want to getinandgetthehellout a.s.a.p!!
December 14, 2010
princesslorene
That pretty much sums up my mood anytime I have to venture into big stores during peak shopping hours. I think I get a case of spontaneous swearing when I have to deal with that stuff. I usually try to keep it to myself, but lately I've noticed it gets more and more audible. I mean I know I can hear it, definitely not under my breath anymore.

My husband is mellower and somehow more tolerant of people than I am, so no doubt he would've been polite in that situation, too, even if annoyed. He is a good balancer for my Irish temper which usually skips the slow burn part and goes straight to spontaneous combustion. I don't have as much patience for ignorance or rudeness. Like one of my uncles says, my aura probably has little devils floating around it when I'm in crowds. Maybe so, but it doesn't always keep everyone out of my way when I want to getinandgetthehellout a.s.a.p!!

I tend to mutter "move like ya gotta purpose!" at being stuck behind dawdling shoppers. You know these people aren't moving slow because they're looking for something, they're just moseying along, checking out whatever might be sitting on the end caps ... stopping to flip through a bunch of towels without the intent to buy ... All fine if it's a slow day, but when the store is crowded that's akin to blue hairs driving 10 miles under the speed limit on a highway at rush hour. In both cases, I'll zoom around them, giving a nasty glare over my shoulder angry smiley

Dh is definitely the mellow type, but even he lights up when we encounter the gabbers: people who walk into the store together, each grab a cart, then stop parallel to one another - right in the freakin' vestibule of the store - and start talking. He usually doesn't say anything, but will stand, jiggling the cart to make a noise and signal that there's someone behind, trying to get through! But I'm invariably the one who'll give a gusty sigh, wait 10 seconds, then loudly say "trying to get by! hello!" The gabbers tend to turn and give you a shocked look, like they didn't realize they weren't the only ones needing to shop. Dolts angry flipping off
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login