Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Slow news day...."Kids wait in cold for school buses!" :wtf

Posted by CrabCake 
Slow news day...."Kids wait in cold for school buses!" :wtf
February 26, 2011
http://www.krem.com/news/local/Spokane-school-buses-ran-late-kids-waited-out-in-the-cold-116946813.html

Kids waited in bone chilling cold for school buses

SPOKANE -- Winter weather and icy roads did not keep Spokane schools from closing Friday morning. Classes started on time for District 81, but the weather did put some buses behind schedule.

On a lot of the side streets in Spokane there is still compact snow and ice on the ground, which means schools buses had to put on chains Friday morning, making them late to pick up kids.

KREM 2 News caught up with a few students who’s parents bundled them up to wait for the school bus in negative degree temperatures. The parents decked them out with extra coats, hats and scarfs. Those parents tell us they were nervous about leaving their children outside for too long, especially since the school buses were running behind schedule in the bone chilling cold.

[just maybe since school wasn't canceled, kids could learn the difference between "whose" and "who's" and therefore strive to be more than a semi-literate local TV news droid.]

Middle school buses ran a half hour late and elementary school buses ran an hour late. For some parents the wait was just not worth it, so they decided to scrap off the snow on their own cars and make the trek to the schools themselves.

[Not worth it? WTF does that mean, other than maybe it's time to SCRAP the snow off their own sprogmobiles. Surprised they don't bill the school for their trouble.]

I'm so sick to fucking death of today's wimps, pussies, sneauxphlaykes, jellyfish, and BAYBEES!!

cutting a smiley with a chainsawfuck the world 'fail' on flames

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Shauna's like a gluten-free Jim Jones for dumb, lifeless middle-aged women. I swear, this bitch could set fire to a orphanage and they would applaud her for bringing them light. ~ Miss Hannigan
Re: Slow news day...."Kids wait in cold for school buses!" :wtf
February 26, 2011
Growing up several decades ago, we must have been made of sterner stuff--wintertime meant PLAYING outdoors and not wanting to come in! And this was in the days before high performance clothing, too--no windbreaking yet breathable GoreTex or Thinsulate lined boots and mittens. Winter wear was pretty low-tech and was often hand-me-downs. I can remember going sledding and having jeans that would be frozen from the knees down after an hour or so in the snow. Coming in and hanging them and wet mittens up over the registers or near the woodstove so they would dry as quickly as possible, so we could turn around and go RIGHT BACK outside.

These days kids are dressed head to toe in coordinated North Face gear good to -40 degrees F, just like what's used on Everest expeditions, yet they can't wait at a bus stop? FFS.
February 26, 2011
Tiquer is right. When I was a kid, I wanted to play outside no matter what the weather was like. Now, of course, I bitch and whine when it's under 60 outside. We used to have fun building snowmen and making snow angels. And yes, half the fun was coming in out of the cold for some hot chocolate, and getting drowsy in the warmth. Don't tell me kids today don't go build snowmen??? I thought every kid did that, as long as they lived someplace that gets enough snow. That is a rite of passage for a kid... isn't it?
February 26, 2011
I had a lot more cold tolerance as a kid...I'd want to go outside and go sledding or roll in the snow, have snowball fights with my cousins and building stuff in the snow. And yeah, I'd eventually go in at some point, throw all my wet absorbent clothes on the heater and try to get the feeling back in my legs.

My tolerance level for coldness got lower as I got older, but there were many, many times I would get on the bus - that was about 40 minutes late - and my fingers would be so cold and frozen that I couldn't bend them for about 15 minutes. Course I was stubborn and never wore gloves or a winter coat either. I was always out there in a hoodie like a dumbass, but that's beside the point. Unless these assholes are living in Siberia where it's insanely frigid, their iddle snookumses will not die from being in the cold for a little longer. Bundle their asses up with heavier coats and pants if it's that big of a deal. They won't freeze to death.
What the hell is the big deal with waiting for the school bus in the cold? I grew up in Michigan and waited for the school bus my whole life until I got a car at age 17 and drove my senior year. My mother never drove me to school, none of the mothers did.

What a bunch of lazy, whiny little bitches. If you're getting a free public education, STFU and deal with the "horror" of waiting in the cold for the school bus.
February 27, 2011
this is the same mentality that think chores are child abuse
February 27, 2011
So how cold is it in Spokane now? I checked online, and it is 2°C. From that description, I thought it was at least -20°C...mind you, I still had to walk (about a mile) to school even when it was -20. Now, it certainly isn't pleasant to wait outside in these temperatures, but it's not exactly an unbearable hardship, either.
February 27, 2011
Forget the kids for a minute. That was a horribly-written story from a "professional" news site. I've seen high school newspaper articles that were more concise and properly spelled.
February 27, 2011
Remember when there was ONE bus stop per neighborhood? I had to walk two blocks just to get to my school bus stop, and I had one of the shorter walks! Nowadays, bus stops are at the edge of the kid's driveway, so how long do they even have to wait? Hell, when I get behind a school bus, it stops at every house, honks, and then the kids come strolling out. Where is all this waiting outside going on? Not in my town, that's for sure.
February 27, 2011
Here is a link to an article about the temperatures that day.
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2011/feb/25/spokane-temperature-drops-below-zero/

It was kind of cold, if you were oblivious to checking out the cold winter forecast and did not dress right.
February 27, 2011
Thanks cassia. So it was -23 c, -10 f. That's cold, but not close-the-schools-spit-is-freezing-before-it-hits-the-ground kind of cold (that's around where Celcius and Fahrenheit cross--at -40).
February 27, 2011
cassia
Here is a link to an article about the temperatures that day.
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2011/feb/25/spokane-temperature-drops-below-zero/

It was kind of cold, if you were oblivious to checking out the cold winter forecast and did not dress right.

Check out this comment from a MOO on KREM's article:

I TRIED to get my kid to wear a warm coat . No luck. Just a sweatshirt coat. Then I looked again and the other kid with him was wearing a T-SHIRT!!! Brrr...

There was another comment from someone who saw girls wearing FLIP-FLOPS. It's obvious who's in charge in these famblees, and it ain't the adults. Of course, if Pweshus got frostbite, the parunts would sue the school district for not canceling school.

You can't win with today's morons. There was another article about two girls who were sledding during the "snow day" on Thursday and crashed into a tree, sending both of them to the hospital. So much for the "argument" that school should be canceled for the brats' safety. :BS

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Shauna's like a gluten-free Jim Jones for dumb, lifeless middle-aged women. I swear, this bitch could set fire to a orphanage and they would applaud her for bringing them light. ~ Miss Hannigan
February 27, 2011
FFS, I dealt with the late 70s blizzards in NYC. My parents actually had fucking common sense. If it was really brutally cold and the weather conditions were really bad and the mayor still insisted on opening the schools, they exercised their parental rights and kept me the fuck home. How hard is that? It didn't happen very often, but the few times it did, I realized you can't rely on public officials for everything
February 27, 2011
God forbid parents drive their own freaking kids to school. They try to make it seem like it was such an inconvenience for them to shovel their cars out like everyone else in the world and drive. Obviously they don't work or can afford to wait around for an hour to see if the buses will come so it's not like they have anything to do/anywhere to be. Makes me wonder why they send their kids off on the buses in the first place... oh no wait, laziness/convenience.
February 27, 2011
And here I have been putting on two coats, a scarf (I have plenty of scarves) winking smiley plus a hat and gloves, and trudging out to the bus stop in -10 degree F weather to go to work, which was not canceled despite 8-12 inches of snow.

CrabCake
You can't win with today's morons. There was another article about two girls who were sledding during the "snow day" on Thursday and crashed into a tree, sending both of them to the hospital. So much for the "argument" that school should be canceled for the brats' safety. :BS

One can just about imagine the operatic high notes had school been canceled: "But we have to work!" (Oh?) "and can't stay home with teh chyyyyldrun!" All breeders do is bitch. Bitch when school is closed, bitch when school is open. A big bowl of bitch for breakfast, a bitch'n'gossip sandwich for lunch, bitch snacks around the water cooler, and a big slab of bitch for supper! Bitch, bitch, bitch! :Violin
February 27, 2011
ShimmyMuse
And here I have been putting on two coats, a scarf (I have plenty of scarves) winking smiley plus a hat and gloves, and trudging out to the bus stop in -10 degree F weather to go to work, which was not canceled despite 8-12 inches of snow.

CrabCake

One can just about imagine the operatic high notes had school been canceled: "But we have to work!" (Oh?) "and can't stay home with teh chyyyyldrun!" All breeders do is bitch. Bitch when school is closed, bitch when school is open. A big bowl of bitch for breakfast, a bitch'n'gossip sandwich for lunch, bitch snacks around the water cooler, and a big slab of bitch for supper! Bitch, bitch, bitch! :Violin

i say send the brats to school in all weather. when they close schools, the breeders take them to work and let them do shit like play air traffic controller with real planes...
Cambion
I had a lot more cold tolerance as a kid...I'd want to go outside and go sledding or roll in the snow, have snowball fights with my cousins and building stuff in the snow. And yeah, I'd eventually go in at some point, throw all my wet absorbent clothes on the heater and try to get the feeling back in my legs.

My tolerance level for coldness got lower as I got older, but there were many, many times I would get on the bus - that was about 40 minutes late - and my fingers would be so cold and frozen that I couldn't bend them for about 15 minutes. Course I was stubborn and never wore gloves or a winter coat either. I was always out there in a hoodie like a dumbass, but that's beside the point. Unless these assholes are living in Siberia where it's insanely frigid, their iddle snookumses will not die from being in the cold for a little longer. Bundle their asses up with heavier coats and pants if it's that big of a deal. They won't freeze to death.

Exactly. Call the waaaaahmbulance for Spokane's brats. Look at the weather in Yakutsk, for example, or somewhere else it actually is insanely cold most of the time yet isn't "news" whenever schoolkids are cold.

One of my fondest memories of childhood is the week there was no power at my house because of falling trees during a big East Coast ice storm. I was outside constantly and liked it.
February 28, 2011
Yet more reporting from that same news site on the wussification of today's delicate pansies. Yeah, that's my comment at the bottom about how the STUDENTS were the crossing guards back in my day, and I was one of them. Anyone else remember those days?

How much fucking sense does it make to cancel school because of bad weather, when half of them are running around in shorts and t-shirts??

And da widdle pweshuses are scawed by the lady's cold-weather mask? Sheeeeeesh...

spanking with a whip on the ass

http://www.krem.com/news/local/Crossing-guards-brace-themselves-for-cold-weather-116960073.html

Crossing guards brace themselves for cold weather

RATHDRUM, ID -- Most kids returned to school Friday across the region. Students braced for bitter cold going back to class.

KREM 2 News was in North Idaho today to talk to people braving the elements. In Rathdrum, Idaho one of the coldest jobs around belongs to the crossing guard. Dan McHatton has worked as a crossing guard outside Lakeland Junior High School for three years. He says Friday was one of the coldest he and his crossing partner Michelle Neumann have patrolled.

Every now and then, Neumann covers her face with a mask, but she takes it off when students come around so she doesn’t scare them. The crossing guards say what scares them is seeing kids dressed in shorts. KREM 2 News spotted a few kids in shorts despite the windchill factor making it feel like it was well below zero. The two guards stood outside for 45 minutes, then retired to their truck to wait for the stragglers.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
February 28, 2011
This morning I saw a whole bunch of SUV's parked on a side street. They were parked on both sides so anyone who actually had to use the street would have a difficult time getting through. Then I saw the school bus coming up the road. When it stopped, all the brats got out of the SUV's to get the bus. Well what would anyone expect? Afterall, it was drizzling out and pweshus shouldn't have to get damp!

- The human gene pool could use a little chlorine
February 28, 2011
I lived in New England, which gets seriously fucking cold. I walked to elementary school...which was seriously fucking cold. Mom dressed us like Randy in "A Christmas Story." I got a reprieve in junior high when the bus stop was actually in front of the house. In high school, we moved to the Great Lakes area, which is also seriously fucking cold with the snow to match. We walked to a bus stop up the road.

What is with the pussified kids of today, that -10 for ONE DAY is too cold to go to school? How about dressing for the weather?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
From a bottle cap message on a Magic Hat #9 beer: Condoms Prevent Minivans
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I want to pick up a bus full of unruly kids and feed them gummi bears and crack, then turn them loose in Hobby Lobby to ransack the place. They will all be wearing T shirts that say "You Could Have Prevented This."
zatoth
i say send the brats to school in all weather. when they close schools, the breeders take them to work and let them do shit like play air traffic controller with real planes...

thumbs upwink
February 28, 2011
I grew up in Northeast Ohio. Not only did I wait for the bus in rain, sleet, hail, wind, cold, burning sun, AND heavy snow, the ONLY time I remember them cancelling school is when the snow got too high for the plows to clear the roads in time for the bus to get through, and when the temp got to -20F.

If I was late and missed the bus, I got to endure the wrath of my grandparents, who then had to drive me. Believe me when I say I was out to the end of the driveway ON TIME ALL THE TIME. And they had a driveway that was about 1/16th of a mile long so I was trudging through snow first thing in the morning on a regular basis. My grandma was always yelling at me to wear heavier coats and to wear my hat and gloves and scarf. I never wore flip flops to school. Ever.

My brother and I played in the snow regularly, pelting each other with snow and ice, building forts, and running through hip-high snow. We skated on frozen puddles, sledded, licked icicles, etc.

Looks like I made it through all that frozenness OK! 'Course I don't live in that frozen hellhole anymore but I can't believe the way pahrunts treat their brats - they aren't gonna die if they get wet or cold!
February 28, 2011
It's too much for today's kyds to wear layers. Then the emo punks wouldn't be able to show off their punk cre8tivity. /sarcasm. smile rolling left righteyes2

It's common sense to wear layers and thermal wear, when the temperature is just 8 or below, outside. :litebulb

Shorts????? Flip-flops????? when it's below 50 degrees?????? THAT'S JUST STUPIDITY!!!!! :eh??

lab mom
February 28, 2011
WaterLily
It's too much for today's kyds to wear layers. Then the emo punks wouldn't be able to show off their punk cre8tivity. /sarcasm. smile rolling left righteyes2

It's common sense to wear layers and thermal wear, when the temperature is just 8 or below, outside. :litebulb

Shorts????? Flip-flops????? when it's below 50 degrees?????? THAT'S JUST STUPIDITY!!!!! :eh??

Every time I see an emo kyd at work, I think to myself, "Why don't you just go sit against the wall with your knees to your chest and cry or something?"

It's your hell; you rot in it!
February 28, 2011

Click here to login