Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Netflix has a new rating system :wtf

Posted by starvingauthor 
Netflix has a new rating system :wtf
April 29, 2011
I was searching through Netflix and thought I'd read about the movie "Insomia" I noticed something so stupid on it I had to post it. Apparently breeders have become so stupid that besides the normal raing system (you know the one G-R) Netflix felt compelled to also have a "common sense" rating system from "kid friendly"-"Not appropriate for kids". Bellow is the information about it that I copy/pasted from netflix. My appologies if there is already a thread about this.

Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that this movie has brief but grisly violence, a nude corpse, some creepy sound effects, and some very strong language. There are tense scenes and characters are shot and killed. Characters drink and smoke.

Families can talk about the moral compromises Dormer makes and the ways in which people have to balance the ends and the means. What will Ellie do next? Why? Why is the town named "Nightmute?" What do you think about the girl who was killed?

(yellow)Sexual Content
Naked dead body.

(red)Violence
Grisly dead body, characters killed, shooting, tension, peril.

(red)Language
Very strong language ("f--k" and "s--t").

(none)Social Behavior
Smart, dedicated female detective.

(red)Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
Characters drink a lot.

Legend.
(green)Age appropriate
(grey)Not an issue
(yellow)Depends on your kid and your family
(red)Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it
.This information for parents is provided by Common Sense Media, a non-profit organization dedicated to improving kids' media lives.
Re: Netflix has a new rating system :wtf
April 29, 2011
I do think the rating system is kind of silly, because it is based on a certain set of values, which may not correspond with your values (for instance, my parents didn't think it was bad for me to see nudity, but objected to violence). So I can see the benefit of having a more nuanced approach, which rates the movie along several categories, and allows people to draw their own conclusions, but in that case they can leave out the judgements and especially the stupid list of talking points--if these people need pre-packaged parenting advice they can watch sitcoms.

At least it's a bit less stupid (not much, mind you), than that religious rating system (I can't seem to find where it was discussed, but "Solid pagan, polytheistic & confused worldview with an alarmist environmentalist concept that alleged “greenhouse gases" can cause the ice caps to melt totally to submerge all major East Coast cities in the U.S., in a science fiction setting that diminishes God by including several false religious notions & a strong atheistic sci-fi humanism which says, among other things, that prayer does not work & God is probably not there, plus some politically correct subtexts" is an example of one review: http://www.movieguide.org/reviews/movie/a.i.html).
April 29, 2011
I remember when my folks simply covered my eyes during the sex scene in "Top Gun." I don't recall any discussion about the moral compromises made by Maverick and Goose, either.

--------------------
"[GFG's pregnancy is] kind of like at the stables where that one dumb, ugly-ass mare broke out of her corral one day and got herself screwed by the equally fugly colt that was due to be gelded the same afternoon."- Shiny
April 29, 2011
how's this? parents research the movie they are planning to watch or their kids are begging to watch. if the movie is inappropriate for their kids (such as realizing Dark Crystal and Pan's Labyrinth have some violence and frightening characters), then DON'T LET THE KIDS WATCH THE MOVIE! Instead of relying on the rest of the planet to police themselves so you don't have to play parent and be responsible, why don't you parents grow up and take control of your families? You have kids-"cool" is out the window. it's time to play "mom" and "dad" until the kids turn 18. Learn to tell the difference between a PG-13 and an R-17 without delegating off to others the duties of detailing WHY with little PATRIOT Act color coding.
Anonymous User
April 30, 2011
Directv has had Common Sense reviews that can be accessed on the receiver for months now. The must have done it to protect themselves from lawsuits as people like to blame the satellite/cable provider for what the channel shows.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login