Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Co-Sleeping with a Tween :rolleyes2

Posted by kidlesskim 
Co-Sleeping with a Tween :rolleyes2
June 05, 2011
http://www.parenting.com/article/co-sleeping-with-a-tween

"Patty Rosenblum's son often spends the night in her bed. He's not a toddler, though -- he's 11.saying 'wtf'

"He does it when he's stressed about school or scared after a horror movie," says the Los Angeles mom. "I don't mind having him there. In fact, I enjoy it." I don't give a shit WHAT his excuse is because he is TOO OLD to be co-sleeping with his moo! :headbrick

According to Parenting's MomConnection , a surprising 45% of moms let their 8- to 12-year-olds sleep with them from time to time, and 13% permit it every night. WHAT? I can't believe any of them allow it at all, let alone ALL OF THE TIME!doh face

"If your tween's having a bad night and sleeps with you for comfort, or you like snuggling together, that's fine," says David Palmiter, Ph.D., professor of psychology at Marywood University in Scranton, PA. It's only a problem when it becomes one for you -- or if he gets to a point where he can't snooze solo. No it is NOT okay to sleep with moo for comfort or "snuggling". This is especially true if it's a 12 y/o boy.eye rolling smiley

Signs you might need to take action: he used to sleep in his room just fine but now suddenly wants to be in your bed; he climbs in with you in the middle of the night; he starts complaining of physical symptoms (like a stomachache) as bedtime approaches. The ONLY sign needed is his coming into her bed ONE TIME during the night.hitting over the head with a hammer

If your co-sleeping kid does seem unusually stressed at night -- or you've realized you want more privacy -- here's how to reintroduce him to his room: Do they even NEED to be given any helpful hints? How about, "Go to your OWN fucking room you little pussy". Or perhaps, "What are you, a little pervert?bouncing and laughing

Explain to him that people need their own space at night, and that most kids his age do it. THIS they should already know.eye rolling smiley

Read a favorite book to him in his room (skip exciting selections, like Harry Potter, or he'll want you to read on and on!). Or let him listen to low-key music on an MP3 player or portable CD player. Let him read the damned book to himself! It's ridiculous that a 10-12 year old kid would need to be read a fucking bedtime story.Mr. T: I pitty tha foold

Tell your child you'll sit with him for 15 minutes every night before bed this week; next week, you'll stand at the door for 15 minutes. The following week, you'll be down the hall, and so on. (It's a trick often used to ease a toddler out of your bed -- with tweens, fortunately, it works more quickly.) Sit with him and stand at the door? PALEASE! This will only make it worse.:BS

Create a calm pre-bed ritual. Doing the same things every night, like reading a book or taking a shower, is soothing in the same way his bed/bath/book routine may have been when he was a younger kid, first getting used to sleeping alone. He should have mastered all of that YEARS ago. I believe that the moos are perpetuating their sons' dependence on them and THIS is the likely culprit of why they have sired a little candy ass who at the age of 11 or 12 is skeered of what's lurking in his closet.:smn

------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- -------
If YOU are the "exception" to what I am saying, then why does my commentary bother you so much?
I don't hate your kids, I HATE YOU!
Re: Co-Sleeping with a Tween :rolleyes2
June 05, 2011
more fucking baby fetish bullshit.
June 05, 2011
Oh. My. Fucking. God.
Re: Co-Sleeping with a Tween
June 05, 2011
This is not in any way healthy or normal. sad smiley Clingy children CAN be coaxed gently out of that phase. In some alternate dark reality in which I actually had a kid, if they were on the younger end of this scale (7-8ish) and they had a really horrible dream, I'd probably hug and comfort them until they went back to sleep in their own bed. Why is this not done anymore? Is this considered 'too hard' or 'too mean' these days??
June 05, 2011
I would sometimes go into my parents room and stand there with my hand on Mom's shoulder up into college. Before you judge, I would have incredibly vivid dreams in which they would die. These dreams were so realistic that I had to go in, check that they were breathing, then just touch their shoulders to reassure myself the dream was just a dream.

Now that I'm married and out of the house, I call them in the mornings after these dreams, and that's enough.

However, I don't think that's why these children are co-sleeping.

It's your hell; you rot in it!
Anonymous User
June 05, 2011
GROSS, just sick and wrong
June 05, 2011
reaperess
I would sometimes go into my parents room and stand there with my hand on Mom's shoulder up into college. Before you judge, I would have incredibly vivid dreams in which they would die. These dreams were so realistic that I had to go in, check that they were breathing, then just touch their shoulders to reassure myself the dream was just a dream.

Now that I'm married and out of the house, I call them in the mornings after these dreams, and that's enough.

However, I don't think that's why these children are co-sleeping.

That's a LOT different than crawling into bed with them to cuddle and snuggle the night away.

------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- -------
If YOU are the "exception" to what I am saying, then why does my commentary bother you so much?
Anonymous User
June 05, 2011
Ugh, creepy!!! That's is bordering on incest, especially if a 12+ yr old is spooning with its moo. If I were a parent with a tween that insisted on co-sleeping, I'd threaten to tell its friends about it... then you'd see how quickly the sprog would jump into its own bed. No kyd wants the reputation of being a moomie's kyd or a pussy devil with smile
June 05, 2011
I guess I don't get the desire from either Moo or brat to co-sleep at a later age because, as some here may recall me saying, I was forced to co-sleep until I was about 15 or 16 because no one thought a teenager needed their own bed (I have no siblings either). And I fucking hated it - I hated having to always go to bed when my mother did because she'd scream at me that having my light on would keep her up, or me rolling around in bed for about 30 minutes before passing out kept her up. I hated having to wait for people to get out of the room before I could turn on the TV to watch a show or play a game.

Maybe that's why whenever I have bad dreams, I don't feel the need to look for someone to snuggle with. I never have. I realize a dream is just a dream - even the times I've had dreams that scared me so bad, I felt actual pain in my heart. This comfort snuggling and co-sleeping into the tween and teen years is what will turn a child into a clingy, needy adult. These are the kids who will not be able to be away from their mommies should they go to college. They are the ones who will settle for absolutely anybody relationship-wise just to have someone they can hold on to in order to feel safe. They are people who will have nervous breakdowns when they are scared and alone. Basically, they will be emotional weaklings.

There is NO reason any kid should be in Mommy's bed. Co-sleeping with infants is dangerous, and kids need to learn to sleep on their own and that everyone needs their own space (unless it's an issue of not being enough beds for everyone to have their own, in which case I will be more forgiving). Fuck, my old college roommate - who was at least 18 or 19 - had her mommy drive about 14 hours to spend the weekend with her homesick ass and then they proceeded to spoon in Roomie's twin bed. I shared the bedroom with this girl, so I got to see this shit first hand. Then Mommy made the girl change roommates because Mommy felt the rest of us in that room were too noisy and we were making it hard for Mommy to get her beauty sleep at 9 on a Friday night.

So yeah, it's not just tweens - some Moos will co-sleep with their grown children right in their college dorm rooms. Barring a lack of space, sleeping with your own kid is practically incest and there is no reason for it. I bet if it was a Duh spooning with his tween daughter, it'd be a far bigger issue because the only people who are perverts are the ones with penises. smile rolling left righteyes2
June 05, 2011
I never slept with my parents. Ever. It was just understood that I had my bed, and they had theirs. It was never even considered. I have no idea what kind of perverted bullshit this is.
June 05, 2011
toxiclove
Ugh, creepy!!! That's is bordering on incest, especially if a 12+ yr old is spooning with its moo. If I were a parent with a tween that insisted on co-sleeping, I'd threaten to tell its friends about it... then you'd see how quickly the sprog would jump into its own bed. No kyd wants the reputation of being a moomie's kyd or a pussy devil with smile

I actually think the stigma to this is mostly gone. I've seen older boys hanging on their moos like it's nothing. It's like those adult mama's boys that defend themselves by saying they are just close and everyone should love their mothers. There is going to be a ton of relationship dysfunction in this generation. I suspect most of these boys will not be able to sustain normal relationships with women.

I can clearly remember being 10 to 12 and there is no way anyone, boy or girl could have gotten away with this or would have wanted anything to do with sleeping with mommy. Gross.
June 05, 2011
Snark Shark
"tween"

also, can we KILL this word? there's NO reason for ANOTHER -KYD- age category.

I think they created "tween" because by that age it's more difficult to figure up how many months the kids is in age. It makes the kid sound too old if they say 11 or 12, so they just say "tween". I'd actually rather hear "tween" or "toddler" than 27 month old or 144 month old, but I'd prefer simply, "2" or "12".

June 06, 2011
http://www.helium.com/items/1319459-tweens

Here's one explanation.

"The term tween first appears in J.R.R. Tolkien's 1954 novel Lord of the Rings. Tolkien used the term to describe Hobbits in the stage between childhood and coming of age. That definition is more less accurate in today's world. Usually if you hear the word tween, it is being applied to children between the ages of eight and twelve, the period after young childhood but before full-fledged adolescence.

Marketers began to use the word tween in the late nineties to market specifically to this age group. Not surprisingly, this was exactly when the apex of the echo boom (the children of the baby boomers) began entering this age bracket, creating the largest generation of preteens since the baby boom....."

June 06, 2011
Snark Shark
I think it's become a MARKETING DEMOGRAPHIC, .

That is all it is. A way to sell mass produced Chinese shit and Justin Bieber to the unwashed masses.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
From a bottle cap message on a Magic Hat #9 beer: Condoms Prevent Minivans
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I want to pick up a bus full of unruly kids and feed them gummi bears and crack, then turn them loose in Hobby Lobby to ransack the place. They will all be wearing T shirts that say "You Could Have Prevented This."
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login