Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Missouri officially assumes that all teachers are pedophiles

Posted by Anonymous User 
Teachers and students in Missouri are no longer allowed to be Facebook friends.

Why? Because teachers are pedophiles, of course. :crz

Re: Missouri officially assumes that all teachers are pedophiles
August 01, 2011
I'm not even Facebook friends with current co-workers. Former co-workers, sure, but not current as that can lead to high drama. And my current co-workers are all 18+ If I were a teacher, no way in hell I'd be friends with my students until the were over 18 and graduated.

Really, if you're a grown ass adult, why would you even want to be friends with a kyd you're not related to or a family friend of? Anything else would be highly suspect IMO.
August 01, 2011
Personally, I think that's a good rule anyway. There's no reason for a kid to be online 'friends' with a teacher.
August 01, 2011
If teachers want to use facebook as a tool -have two pages. School page with only school related stuff and personal page with no one under 18.

August 01, 2011
I would consider it protection for the teachers as well. Teens do some pretty asinine things these days and think nothing of putting it up on Fakebook. No teacher in their right mind wants to be associated with those stunts by being a friend of that person.
August 01, 2011
Only time I might say it's okay is if students who are adults friend their professors or maybe their old high school teachers who they might want to stay in touch with. Otherwise, there's no reason for a bunch of minors to friend their teachers on Fakebook or Myspace or any other social site. Why would they even be interested in one another's lives beyond school anyway? Like if a crazy student has a crush on a teacher and wants to stalk them online?

Teachers can't do a goddamn thing to or for their students without it being considered pedophilia anymore. Working in a room full of minors means there is a chance of a lawsuit at any time if you do so much as touch a hair on a kid's head. Even if a teacher has to restrain one kid from beating the fuck out of another, that could get a teacher in major trouble. If I were a teacher, I wouldn't even have any social web accounts because the last thing I'd need is school administrators trying to dig up dirt on me in order to get my ass fired.
August 02, 2011
It's a damned shame anyone has to be told NOT to do this. My guess is these kids found their teachers' facebooger page and clicked on "friend" and it escalated from there. The teachers probably accepted them as "friends" in order to not hurt their feelings and it was nothing more than what a handful made out of it. It's a good rule, but sad it had to be implemented in the first place.

------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- -------
If YOU are the "exception" to what I am saying, then why does my commentary bother you so much?
I don't hate your kids, I HATE YOU!
I'm a teacher, and no way in hell do I FB friend my students or my co-workers. It is truly stupid to do so, because you KNOW the students will comb through your old posts, photos, groups, etc to see what they can find on you. If they find something interesting, they will show it to their parents who will, of course, be outraged that something "inappropriate" was on your FB page. Co-workers are no better.

My privacy settings are on lockdown mode on FB. No photo, no friends lists, NOTHING is available for viewing unless I add you to the friends list. Then you get to see the entre show. Each year, my students attempt to find my profiles, but they can't find them because I keep them well hidden. They spend so much time trying to scope me out online, that I have to tell them in class that my profiles on FB and Google groups are HIDDEN, therefore they are wasting time by searching for me. I also remind them that NO, I WON'T friend them on FB or any other social media. In addition, the only email that I make public at work is my school email which is available through the district servers. They don't know my gmail, yahoo, or hotmail accounts at all. When they search for me online under the school email, they find nothing smiling smiley

Teachers in my school have friended their students on FB. Now they have to watch everything they post, because if they delete a student, the kid will sulk, or cause problems for the teacher. They're fucking STUPID. If something happens to them because of friending their students, I have no pity for them. As they say, :bedmadelie
August 02, 2011
In school, your teachers are not there to be your friends.

JD
August 02, 2011
I think there's nothing wrong with associating with former teachers; I still keep in touch with some of mine. I also think association with current teachers is less of an issue by the time the student is in the last few years of university--but any earlier than that can lead to awkward situations and is I would think something a teacher would want to naturally avoid.
August 02, 2011
JohnDrake

JD

Exactly. Your parents are your friends and look how well that worked out.

I actually do agree with teachers are not friends. Ditto for most coworkers and definitely bosses.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
From a bottle cap message on a Magic Hat #9 beer: Condoms Prevent Minivans
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I want to pick up a bus full of unruly kids and feed them gummi bears and crack, then turn them loose in Hobby Lobby to ransack the place. They will all be wearing T shirts that say "You Could Have Prevented This."
August 02, 2011
i think it's creepy when adults are "friends" with kids on FB - what do you have in common? plus, some of my friends & i are a bit bawdy on FB and i don't want to have to censor myself around 12 year olds. i also think it's creepy when adults use photos of their kids as their own FB profile photos. so you ARE your child now?

and oddly enough, we are supposedly the ones with no lives.

L'enfer, c'est les autres.
August 02, 2011
navi8orgirl
JohnDrake

JD

Exactly. Your parents are your friends and look how well that worked out.

I actually do agree with teachers are not friends. Ditto for most coworkers and definitely bosses.

I agree there. I get along with my coworkers at work, but am not friends with any of them on the outside. I have had friendships with a couple of coworkers outside of work in the past, mainly because they shared a couple of common interests with me, but even then, I was careful.

I also found school wasn't a great place to make friends either, but that's another discussion.

JD
August 02, 2011
myrna minkoff
i think it's creepy when adults are "friends" with kids on FB - what do you have in common? plus, some of my friends & i are a bit bawdy on FB and i don't want to have to censor myself around 12 year olds. i also think it's creepy when adults use photos of their kids as their own FB profile photos. so you ARE your child now?

and oddly enough, we are supposedly the ones with no lives.

The other day I got a friend request from someone I didn't know, a woman from the name I presume, that was using a pic of their loaf as their profile pic. For some reason, and this may be a new FB security thing, I couldn't read anything about who this person was as they had their profie on lockdown. Usually, when you request someone, they can read your info/page/wall even before they are your "friend".

Feeling brazen, I responded to the request with a message back saying "I don't know who you are and since you're using a pic of your child (lame. Don't you have your own identity?) I don't recognize your face. Can you give me a clue since your info is private?"

The next day they changed their profile pic to a pic of them skiing and sent me a snippy message back about how it's not lame to use their kid's pic (but they still changed it to something non-kiddy, hmmmmm) and explained that she was a friend of my husband's when they went to the same university and that I actually met her back in 2008 (WTF? That was 3 fucking years ago!) at the Australian Pink Floyd thing. She couldn't find my Dh so she friended me instead. Again, WTF?

I told Dh about it and he was like, "Oh yea, I remember her. She was pretty naive from what I remember, and ended up marrying some dufus. We made out at a party but that was as far as it went."

Why would someone try to go out of their way to friend someone they had a scant friendship with ten years ago and then when they can't find them, they try to friend the person's spouse? Who does this stuff? Oh, a breeder would.

I told her in another reply that yes, indeed it IS lame to use your kid's pic as your profile, especially when so many woman fought to be recognized as more than just mothers.

She unfriended me. No big loss. But she still kept her skiing pic up.

I recently saw on CNN a panel of women discussing the new "expecting" option for profile info, and maybe, just maybe, some people are getting it through their placenta brains that they're putting up TMI on Facebook. The backlash may be upon us. Let's hope so.
August 03, 2011
"Oh yea, I remember her. She was pretty naive from what I remember, and ended up marrying some dufus. We made out at a party but that was as far as it went."

LMAO at this.

L'enfer, c'est les autres.
August 03, 2011
themanfromacme
Teachers and students in Missouri are no longer allowed to be Facebook friends.

Why? Because teachers are pedophiles, of course. :crz

Or maybe the state doesn't want the perception of favoritism or lawsuits of the FB friend gets an A while the non-friend gets a D.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login