Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

NYT rhapsodizes about $89K per person low-income project

Posted by Melanie 
NYT rhapsodizes about $89K per person low-income project
September 24, 2011
.. and not one frigging WORD about how maybe these low-income people shouldn't be having kids in the first place, if they need a $17 million taxpayer funded building in which to raise them -- and that maybe in addition to Head Start there should be a birth control clinic built into the facility.

Jesus Christ! Nothing against Madison and her ilk --once they are here someone might as well take decent care of them, and god knows their shiftless parents won't -- but I really resent him saying "well it's cheap compared to prisons" like we should be grateful. Fucking abortion and IUDs and contraceptive shots are also a lot cheaper than prisons, so why are they never mentioned in this sort of tripe.

Edited to add link to $89,5000 per person projects

Biased, half-wit columnist
Around the corner came a little golden ball of sunshine named Madison, dressed head to toe in pink, hair arranged in Afro puffs, one wrist covered in turquoise beaded bracelets, arms opened wide. She wrapped those arms around a teacher’s legs, hugged them close and looked up with the kind of smile that sets the world right.
Comment:

I realize that somehow we need to take care of the Madisons who are here but ... why is it that programs like this never seem to include a birth control clinic and other personal responsibility tools? I'm sure taxpayers who applied forethought and self-discipline, and limited their families to the number they could afford to raise without the assistance of fellow citizens (and for some people, that number is zero) would like to enjoy sweeping views of the Hudson River, too. Instead we reward the improvident and ask nothing of them in return, as usual. How many residents of this new program will be having additional babies soon? The underclass is not entirely blameless for its own plight, you know.
------------------------------------------------
This absolutely had to come from someone here. Well said.
glynnis
Comment:

I realize that somehow we need to take care of the Madisons who are here but ... why is it that programs like this never seem to include a birth control clinic and other personal responsibility tools? I'm sure taxpayers who applied forethought and self-discipline, and limited their families to the number they could afford to raise without the assistance of fellow citizens (and for some people, that number is zero) would like to enjoy sweeping views of the Hudson River, too. Instead we reward the improvident and ask nothing of them in return, as usual. How many residents of this new program will be having additional babies soon? The underclass is not entirely blameless for its own plight, you know.
------------------------------------------------
This absolutely had to come from someone here. Well said.

This is a sensible position most people would agree with but unfortunately public policy is in the hands of either social conservative panty sniffers who want every fertilized egg to be brought to term or PC liberal bleeding heart dipshits who think all reproductive "choices" should be respected and ensuing offspring subsidized. Thus, we will continue to reward the improvident with assistance and punish the responsible with the bill.
As a resident of NYS, all I have to say is that you are very well taken care over here of if you want to make a career of being a lazy welfare moo/mooch. It really doesn't pay to bust your ass for a minimum wage job here, you end up being punished so many different ways for working...you're better off leeching off the system. angry smiley
nobodylikesyourkidbutyou
As a resident of NYS, all I have to say is that you are very well taken care over here of if you want to make a career of being a lazy welfare moo/mooch. It really doesn't pay to bust your ass for a minimum wage job here, you end up being punished so many different ways for working...you're better off leeching off the system. angry smiley

Arizona is far less generous but it's still better to be a poor single mother here than a poor single man or woman. If you add up all the public assistance and tax breaks plus access to Medicaid for both parent and child (AZ recently kicked all the childless adults off AHCCCS due to budget cuts) you actually come out ahead for shitting a loaf. This is insane. We need to reward people for being responsible not for the opposite.
Re: NYT rhapsodizes about $89K per person low-income project
September 25, 2011
I used to do home care in the projects of NYC when I lived there, and I needed to bring 2 armed guards with me to protect my equipment because I got mugged once. smile rolling left righteyes2

I don't know how much hope I have for these houses - they all get wrecked over time. I do *wish* that the kids had a way out - I really do. I'm not saying they don't. I went to Columbia with a bunch of kids who grew up in the ghetto and lived in the projects but they were REALLY self-driven, motivated kids who had poor parents, but the parents didn't take any shit. Unfortunately kids like that come along a handful at a time.

I don't know what the answer is. Welfare to work was a failure, the schools stepping in and doing everything but drag the kids off to school was a failure. I don't know what else there is to do.
surfinbird
I used to do home care in the projects of NYC when I lived there, and I needed to bring 2 armed guards with me to protect my equipment because I got mugged once. smile rolling left righteyes2

I don't know how much hope I have for these houses - they all get wrecked over time. I do *wish* that the kids had a way out - I really do. I'm not saying they don't. I went to Columbia with a bunch of kids who grew up in the ghetto and lived in the projects but they were REALLY self-driven, motivated kids who had poor parents, but the parents didn't take any shit. Unfortunately kids like that come along a handful at a time.

I don't know what the answer is. Welfare to work was a failure, the schools stepping in and doing everything but drag the kids off to school was a failure. I don't know what else there is to do.

I feel the same ambivalence. I hate that we reward people for irresponsibly breeding with public assistance but I don't think the kids themselves should be punished for it. And even reasonable proposals like offering poor women money to be sterilized are denounced as bigoted and cruel, when in reality it would probably make their and their children's lives better.
September 25, 2011
I don't begrudge the kids. I hope they do break the cycle. But it's these apologistic social workers, public policy makers, law makers and journalists who get me -- too PC to ever suggest that, um, maybe disabled and mentally ill people shouldn't be having kids in the first place... and too PC or biased themselves to build disincentives for breeding into the program. Why human reproduction should be sacrosanct on an overpopulated planet that clearly -- if you look at the global economic situation -- has far more people than it needs workers -- is absolutely beyond me. We should be trumpeting the availability of abortion and paying for THAT, not $17 million for fewer than 200 people -- who also get tons of other public handouts.

Celebrating that no teens in the program are pregnant (yet) is repugnant, too. Of course it's a positive thing but my God, have we gotten to the point where we have to dance and leap and heap kudos on people merely because they have refrained from producing more offspring for US to support? "Gee, thanks for not sucking up 100 percent of the fruits of my labor, just 40 percent!"

Note that the few common-sense people who posted in the comments were called mean-spirited, haters, hateful, etc. by the rose-colored masses.
September 25, 2011

I met Madison and 50 other little rays of hope at the Dorothy Day Apartments on Riverside Drive in West Harlem.

I for one don't hold out a whole lot of hope that these kids won't go down the exact same path their parents chose. All the feel-good programs and housing and whatever is just throwing money at the problem, and again rewarding people for irresponsible behavior.

I don't know what the answer is either, but it seems like common sense that anyone on any kind of public assistance should be on long-term (i.e. fool proof) birth control such as implants or whatever the latest is, if not outright sterilization.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Shauna's like a gluten-free Jim Jones for dumb, lifeless middle-aged women. I swear, this bitch could set fire to a orphanage and they would applaud her for bringing them light. ~ Miss Hannigan
Melanie
I don't begrudge the kids. I hope they do break the cycle. But it's these apologistic social workers, public policy makers, law makers and journalists who get me -- too PC to ever suggest that, um, maybe disabled and mentally ill people shouldn't be having kids in the first place... and too PC or biased themselves to build disincentives for breeding into the program. Why human reproduction should be sacrosanct on an overpopulated planet that clearly -- if you look at the global economic situation -- has far more people than it needs workers -- is absolutely beyond me. We should be trumpeting the availability of abortion and paying for THAT, not $17 million for fewer than 200 people -- who also get tons of other public handouts.

Celebrating that no teens in the program are pregnant (yet) is repugnant, too. Of course it's a positive thing but my God, have we gotten to the point where we have to dance and leap and heap kudos on people merely because they have refrained from producing more offspring for US to support? "Gee, thanks for not sucking up 100 percent of the fruits of my labor, just 40 percent!"

Note that the few common-sense people who posted in the comments were called mean-spirited, haters, hateful, etc. by the rose-colored masses.

Spot on. Although, in fairness, I do know several social workers with CPS who will tell you straight up that they wish they could forcibly sterilize people. It's not the people doing the grunt work who are the problem; it's the head-in-the-clouds bleeding hearts and global warming denying anti-choice godbags who make laws and policies who are.
September 25, 2011
Melanie

This guy is not a journalist. He's the NYT's graphic's director. Which leads me to ask: WTH are they letting him write a column for? This guy has no background in social work, education, mental health or anything else related to this piece. The kitchen manager at the New York Times cafeteria and the IT manager probably have opinions about lots of things too, but you don't see the editors giving those people a column.

Anyway, what is this about: "Another administrator said that the environment helped to “stabilize the parents to provide a platform for the children.” And those children, she said, can create “pathways out of poverty” for the whole family."

Maybe he messed the quote up or misunderstood what she was saying, but that seems like an awful lot of responsibility for a kid, to create a "pathway out of poverty for the whole family." Anybody who's been poor knows that it's just about all you can do to drag yourself out of it, let alone bring your whole family with you.

And I'm really sick of the stupid name Madison.
spinstar
Anyway, what is this about: "Another administrator said that the environment helped to “stabilize the parents to provide a platform for the children.” And those children, she said, can create “pathways out of poverty” for the whole family."

Maybe he messed the quote up or misunderstood what she was saying, but that seems like an awful lot of responsibility for a kid, to create a "pathway out of poverty for the whole family." Anybody who's been poor knows that it's just about all you can do to drag yourself out of it, let alone bring your whole family with you.

And I'm really sick of the stupid name Madison.

That is a big load to lay on your kid. If he or she is lucky enough to get a good education and out of poverty why should an obligation to support the entire family come with that?
nomooingzone
That is a big load to lay on your kid. If he or she is lucky enough to get a good education and out of poverty why should an obligation to support the entire family come with that?

Nine out of 10 ghetto famblees that I know replicate this mold. The one (community) college grad or somebody with a well-paying civil servant salary is the breadwinner for at least three generations (in some fashion). Bills are being paid, tuition is footed, nice toys are purchased, clothing and food is always being brought in by this one person. And this person never seems "able" to leave the "hood", although it doesn't mean they live in the same house but always near by.
September 26, 2011
Welfare trash and their shit piles can ruin a brand new building in 6 months or less

two cents ¢¢

CERTIFIED HOSEHEAD!!!

people (especially women) do not give ONE DAMN about what they inflict on children and I defy anyone to prove me wrong

Dysfunctional relationships almost always have a child. The more dysfunctional, the more children.

The selfish wants of adults outweigh the needs of the child.

Some mistakes cannot be fixed, but some mistakes can be 'fixed'.

People who say they sleep like a baby usually don't have one. Leo J. Burke

Adoption agencies have strict criteria (usually). Breeders, whose combined IQ's would barely hit triple digits, have none.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login