Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

First comes love, then comes marriage” … At least, it’s supposed to!:rolleyes2

Posted by toomanybrats 
"Riding on this bandwagon is Russian tennis star and Biggest Loser trainer, Anna Kournikova, who claimed in the latest issue of Women’s Health magazine, “[Marriage] isn’t important to me. I’m in a happy relationship — that’s all that matters.” Way to go!smiling smiley

"While this creed sounds good to some, realistically, it isn’t true. On the contrary, marriage does matter! Social science research and demographic data make the case that marriage matters and has far more impact on adults than most people acknowledge. Can I see it? Researchers indicate that married people have better health, longer and more productive lives, greater general happiness, and better mental health than non-married individuals. PFFFTTT! Really?:cen Further, they agree that marriage performs a critical function for society." What function is that, exactly?

"Still, the overwhelming message for youth today is that marriage can wait or be disregarded entirely, as the Anna Kournikovas of society suggest. It’s time for the reams of research and the common experiences of teachers, social workers, and law enforcement officers, who daily observe the outcomes of family breakdown, Does that include broken-down MARRIAGES? to penetrate the media fog to change the attitudes of the public and convince young people that marriage matters — for each of them and for all of us."

"Concerned Women" Blog:crz

Thank you "Dr." Janice Shaw Crouse, but I'll decide if marriage is the "right" path for moi. And you can FORGET about the baybee carriage.
I personally do not see what kind of research is the "Social Science" is referring to. If 2 people are in a happy relationship, how does that differ from a situation where 2 people have a happy relationship plus a marriage certificate? Personally, I see those 2 relationships as being about the same, in my eyes. Yes, there are some legal advantages to a marriage certificate, but as far as happiness goes, I do not think that marriage certificate is a way to secure such happiness.

So, yes, Anna is correct. If someone has a happy relationship and both people are happy with the arrangement, marriage does not have to come into the picture. I think that our society,with time, will somehow have to learn to accept that. And by the way, I do not know about this particular research, but any kind of research can be swayed as long as the subject that is being researched is being selected carefully.
The issue here is that correlation is not necessarily causation.

People who get married are generally those who are more fit to make money, live longer, etc. Marriage is not the cause, it is the effect.

This "research", so called, is WAY off base and misleading. There are many reasons I say that, but primarily it's because they are including "single" welfare whores and "single" moos who pump out loaves on a continual basis without the benefit of it having a reliable or even decent baby daddy. While they aren't legally married, MANY of these types of women are rarely "single" in that they nearly ALWAYS have a man shacking up in their section 8 housing with them and he's generally as big of a deadbeat as the welfare moo shrug

Of COURSE moo-cunts who choose this lifestyle, and they are in the millions, will be less educated, not as happy, not as successful, less healthy because there's lots of addiction problems among this group, and generally they are also impoverished. I detest propaganda pieces like this where the "research" is misleading and often outright fraudulent.cutting a smiley with a chainsawfuck

------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- -------
If YOU are the "exception" to what I am saying, then why does my commentary bother you so much?
I don't hate your kids, I HATE YOU!
I studied marriage when I was a researcher, and our information showed that there were no "health benefits" to marriage as other studies had suggested. The only theory that we could come up with was when people are married - women tend to pay better attention to their health, and tend to encourage their husbands to do the same. This could be how the "marriage is good for your health" rumors got started.

Women have very high rates of heart disease and breast cancer, whether they are married or not, so personally, a ring is not keeping them from dying.
http://www.cwalac.org/cwblog/?cat=3
http://www.cwalac.org/cwblog/?cat=21

Um yeah. This cunt can take her concern and ram it up her uptight arse. Sideways. Followed by a chainsaw. cutting a smiley with a chainsawfuck
What about marriages that break up? With the divorce rate hovering around the fifty-percent mark, I am wondering if this research study also includes marriages that are strained or on the way to divorce? I would rather live alone and be happy than be unhappily married.
The critical function for society thar marriage provides most likely means baybeemaking. Of course, one doesn't have to be married in order to spew one loaf after the other.
I would like to ask some people who are divorced how they feel about this study, if they feel their marriage made them healthier, gave them a longer life or made them more productive.
I'm thinking they would have a completely different viewpoint on this so-called "study."
I don't know, a vast majority of people I know have either been divorced (some more than once) or are in shitty marriages. Just like how some people are not meant to have kids, I think many people are also not meant to marry. That doesn't mean two people can't be happy together; hell, I sure as fuck don't need a marriage certificate and a ring on my finger to enjoy someone.

Marriage CAN wait and CAN be disregarded because it isn't required for happiness. If you want to get married, fine...if not, that's fine too. I know some people who are married to complete deadbeats who would be far better off in every aspect if they were single/divorced, so you can't tell me that getting married is some kind of band-aid for all problems in life. America likes people to follow their rules for a classic "acceptable" life, which is straight, white Catholic married couple living in the suburbs with 2.5 children. The Life Script. And in order to try and "save" the people who choose to deviate from that path, sometimes statistics need to be made up and presented to them. They cannot be forced to follow the Life Script yet, so they can only be convinced.
i was happy before i got married and i am happy now. that doesn't mean marriage made me happy - that's just stupid.

i think being CF is what makes me happiest. smile rolling left rightsmile
Funny that they don't feel the need to actually cite the study.
Based on my observations married people are not any happier on average than non-married people. The same is true for the childed and the religious, two other life choices that are supposed to make you happy. Some people are just promoting their conservative social agenda any way they can.
surfinbird
I studied marriage when I was a researcher, and our information showed that there were no "health benefits" to marriage as other studies had suggested. The only theory that we could come up with was when people are married - women tend to pay better attention to their health, and tend to encourage their husbands to do the same. This could be how the "marriage is good for your health" rumors got started.

Women have very high rates of heart disease and breast cancer, whether they are married or not, so personally, a ring is not keeping them from dying.

Bella DePaulo has done some great research on the matter and like you, she's found no statistical correlation between marriage and anything positive.

I applaud Anna Kournikova for not listening to bullshit social pressure.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login