Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Flock of brats on historical tour

Posted by eila-ahimsa 
Flock of brats on historical tour
October 16, 2011
My husband and I toured the Chief Vann House in Georgia yesterday (highly recommend it if you're a history geek who's local or passing through). Included in the tour group was a moo with her three brats, all elementary age. Moo was busy snapping pictures with her ridiculously expensive camera (another trend I've noticed: every mawm in the world is now A pHoToGrApHeR, oKAy?!) while the little terrors were traipsing about the rooms, touching things and sprawling out on the furniture. One of them kept interrupting the tour guide with stupid questions ("how did they start fires back then?" "did they have colors or was it all black and white?" "did they have a big garden?").

The tour guide snapped a couple of times and told them not to touch the fucking exhibits and to wait until he was done talking to ask questions. The brats all just kind of gave him this aren't-I-a-rascal look and continued being assholes. Moo paid no attention at all. She was busy being an artist.

I FUCKING HATE THEM ALL SO MUCH. I HOPE THEY DIED IN A FIERY CAR CRASH ON THE WAY BACK TO SUBURBIA.
Anonymous User
Re: Flock of brats on historical tour
October 16, 2011
YES wtf is up with all the shitty photography of wrinkled up loaves?! It's in sepia-tone, so automatically artsy-fartsy I guess? It's all over my FB. I am friends with a couple people who actually, y'know, went to school to persue a career in photography. They get their studio space sorted, build a portfolio, do some shoots, then share their website on FB. Sure enough, you get some breeder who pushed one out and is now an expert because she took a picture of a little troll sleeping with a rose covering its ass crack posting links in the comments to her own WalMart caliber "studio". UGH! Why must they permeate EVERYTHING?!

I would be raging if I paid money to go on a tour and some shitleigh though they were more than welcome to goo and gaw the whole time. Of course you know its owners probably thought it was so cyyyuuuutteeeeeeee (probably because they got in for free and aren't wasting their own money, just everyone else's).
October 16, 2011
I LOVE places like this and Georgia is rich with them! The "Little White House" in Warm Springs, GA where FDR had a second residence is totally cool as is THIS place I happened up on over a decade ago:

http://www.westville.org/

Westville is a living history town with many original structures that have been relocated there including houses, blacksmith shops, a pharmacy- doctor's office, etc.....and they sell home made-baked goods popular during that time period as well as candles and all types of shit. Mainly locals are in costume and character of the mid 1800's. WELL worth a visit if you are still anywhere in the vicinity.

Like your visit though, there ARE breeders and their brats who tend to fuck everything up at ALL of these cool places.:smn

------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- -------
If YOU are the "exception" to what I am saying, then why does my commentary bother you so much?
I don't hate your kids, I HATE YOU!
October 16, 2011
Kim, I will have to check these places out. The Westville site made me a little hot... We actually just moved to southeast TN, maybe 20 minutes from the Georgia line. I shall have to plan a more extensive little trip in GA if there's more historical shit where that came from.

I used to work in a one-hour photo lab several years ago, before digital took over, and there was this one breeder bitch who brought at least one if not more rolls in every day. The subject of practically every single picture? Her pasty, overweight, string-haired little loaf. The breeder really was a complete bitch, she complained about every step of the photo finishing process, said that I bent her pictures and wasn't careful with her negatives. I finally snapped and said if she were a real photographer, she would develop her film herself, or at the very least sent it to somewhere besides CVS. That was my first experience with the being-a-moommy-makes-me-an-artist set, but certainly not the last. Blech.
October 16, 2011
kidlesskim
http://www.westville.org/

Spiffy. I tucked that in my Travel Bookmarks.

Living in NC, one is kinda smack dab in the middle of a lot of history. You can go pretty much any direction and run into something old and preserved.

obBreederstory: Dh and I have visited Monticello a number of times. Just about any time of the year is good for learning a new facet of Thomas Jefferson's life - spring, when the garden row is planted, winter for holiday festivities .... on one visit the entire tour group was boggled when a Mennonite family was among our number. Not because it was unusual to see that sect on the tour; unlike the Amish, Mennonites are more worldly and travel; but because of the way the four kids in the family acted! One usually associates Mennonites with a more conservative, disciplined view of family? Nuh uh. Not this one. The kids - dressed in plain clothing and straw hats - started brawling on the floor of the library. And the parents made nothing more than a few ineffectual attempts to stop them. In a small room, surrounded by priceless Jefferson artifacts, the four boys were rolling and punching one another. The rest of the group pressed ourselves away, the Mennonite mother stood with a distant look on her face, the father prodded the boys with his foot, saying "now stop that. you know better than that." Another docent came running into the room and, with the help of our tour guide, grabbed the boys, stiffly told the parents "we do not allow this kind of behavior" and threw them all out. We continued the tour, but everyone was in such a shocked daze that the docent offered to let us go back to the front of the house and retake the tour. No one took up the offer, but as we toured the rest of the grounds, folks from other groups came up and asked "we heard an Amish family almost trashed the house. AMISH? Is that true?" We corrected them on the sect, but not the rest of the tale.
October 16, 2011
Eila, it may be too late in the year to see the best colors, but I highly recommend a drive on the Cherohala Skyway if you haven't had a chance to see it yet.

Unlike the Smokies, which are now surrounded by tourist trash (aimed primarily at famblies, it seems) and the Blue Ridge Parkway, a road I love but am saddened to see so much development spoiling the views, the Cherohala is a largely pristine area with expansive views of nothing but mountains.

If you are of an adventurous mind, you can also try The DragonI rode it once, just to get a patch for my motorcycle vest, but any other tours of that road will be done in the winter - something I advise all non-riders. It can be absolutely insane during the decent months with all the crazier riders. I did the 11 miles, 300+ curves at a sedate 20mph, but the object for most others is to do it as fast as they can - sometimes with broken results sad smiley
October 16, 2011
Going a bit off topic:

The thing about the photography crap is because this is the age of digital cameras. They can take a picture, upload it to their computer, and use photo-editing software that came with the camera to edit the god-awfulness out of the picture. Digital cameras is the new 35mm.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I walk the path of life to my own rhythm, my own beat-if you don't like it, step off and find your own damn song!
Anonymous User
October 16, 2011
There is one bed and breakfast in a local historic town that is child & pet free. We rarely go there because we hate to leave our pups but OH!! The serenity!! No howling kids, no pudgy hands grabbing the breakfast buffet treats, silence, oh, blessed, blessed silence. The fancy china used for meals.....HEAVEN!!!!
October 16, 2011
We avoid historic stuff uness it's really cool becuase we get sick of "HOW BIG WERE THE BULLETS" from tthe picnic table crowd.
October 16, 2011
Rose Red
We avoid historic stuff uness it's really cool because we get sick of "HOW BIG WERE THE BULLETS" from tthe picnic table crowd.

Heh.

Dh went through about a decade of Civil War interest so, when we moved to the southeast, we toured allllll the battlefields and took in quite a few reenactments. Most of the events took place close to, but not on the actual battlefieds (hallowed ground and all that) with exception of some like the Battle of Cedar Creek in NW Virginia.

Now, I know that such reenactments commemorate bloody and largely wasteful battles, but the participants make for good entertainment. We attended Cedar Creek three years in a row because of the excitement of a thundering cavalry, much cannon and gun fire, and dramatic deaths. Because of his participation on message boards, Dh got tips on where to stand to get the best views. One year, we observed a fellow who was "shot" close to the beginning of the battle and decided to make the most of his "death" considering that he was taken out so early in the reenactment. We were standing on the sidelines only about 10 yards away and saw the soldier fold in on himself at the force of being shot, clutch his chest and stagger back a few feet. He then did a graceful pirouette on one heel, staggered a few steps more, looked up to the sky with a "goodbye cruel world!" gesture and slowly sagged to the ground. His "death" drew a hearty round of applause. He allowed several moments to pass for everyone to appreciate his performance, then apparently decided that he didn't want to miss out on the rest of the action, even if only as an observer. He half-rose on his elbows, turned and *winked* at us, then watched the rest of the battle in that area from a semi-supine position.

Having been apprised of the best viewing points, we were at the exact spot to watch the cavalry ride past after the performance. Had to have been about 50 mounted soldiers, all in correct dress and arms, trotting by and acknowledging the cheers. Very dashing sight.

It's been ... gosh ... about 10-11 years since we've been to a reenactment. Looking at the website makes me think about suggesting it to Dh again, even just because we love visiting that part of VA. He's not as into the subject as he once was, but we know it's an interesting event. I'm just afraid of how kids might act. 20 years ago, parents more or less kept their kids in line. The reenactors did not shirk then from telling the parents to make their kids behave. They might not be working with real bullets, but combustible products in the form of black powder and such was out in the open and being discharged. Kids were told to stay back and not go tearing through the encampment. I'm not so sure of how the Preciouses are dealt with these days.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login