Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Creating children: the most important medical advance in the world :mad2

Posted by yurble 
Creating children: the most important medical advance in the world :mad2
October 04, 2010
Robert Edwards, who pioneered IVF and was responsible for the conception of the world's first test-tube baby has won the Nobel prize for medicine.

I am disgusted. I'm morally opposed to IVF to begin with, and how can this possibly be the best medical development in recent time--better than finding cures for diseases?

Here's a link, but you can probably find the details anywhere: http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2010/oct/04/ivf-pioneer-robert-edwards-nobel-prize-medicine

The Nobel prize for physiology or medicine for 2010 has been awarded to the British scientist who pioneered in-vitro fertilisation, a procedure that has helped in the conception and birth of 4 million people around the world since the first test-tube baby, Louise Brown in 1978.
That is FOUR MILLION extra people on the planet as a result of this bullshit, to say nothing of the offspring they might have had since, seeing as those born in the 70s and early 80s could easily have reproduced on their own by now.

Worldwide around one in 10 couples are infertile and, until IVF was developed, doctors could do little to help these couples have children.
And maybe there's a good reason why they are infertile, and it's a form of population control.

"This discovery represents a monumental medical advance that can truly be said to confer the 'greatest benefit to mankind'. Human IVF has radically changed the field of reproductive medicine. Today, 2% to 3% of all newborns in many countries are conceived with the help of IVF and many individuals that turn to an infertility clinic can be helped," Höög [professor of cell biology at the Karolinska Institutet in Stockholm and a member of the Nobel Assembly] said. "IVF has also opened up new ways to treat many forms of male infertility. The development of IVF recognised by this year's Nobel prize in physiology or medicine has touched the life of millions of infertile people, giving them an opportunity to have children."
two faces puking

Basil Tarlatzis of the International Federation of Fertility Societies, said: "This is a well deserved honour. IVF has opened new avenues of hope for millions of couples throughout the world.
You know what would create even more hope around the world? A cure for AIDs.

Martin Johnson, professor of reproductive sciences at the University of Cambridge, said he was delighted. "This is long overdue. We nominated him for the Lasker award 10 years ago and he got it immediately so we couldn't understand why the Nobel has come so late but he is delighted – this is the cherry on the cake for him. Bob's work has always been controversial but he has never shrunk from confronting that controversy. He was a real visionary, and always ahead of his time on so many issues – not just IVF – but also on PGD in the 60s, stem cells in the 70s, and the whole process of thinking ethically."
I must have missed the bit where he thought about the ethics of contributing to overpopulation.

Allan Pacey, a senior lecturer in andrology at University of Sheffield said: "I am absolutely delighted and overwhelmed to hear this news and it is long, long overdue. Bob was a visionary and worked hard to develop IVF in a time when so many were against him. It is a tribute to his tenacity that he persevered in his research and as a consequence has changed the lives of millions across the world.
Indeed, he has changed most people's lives for the worse.

Now, if he'd gotten an Ig-nobel prize for his contributions to population control, I could have appreciated it.
Fuck trophies are certainly the MOST IMPORTANT thing to humanity.eye rolling smiley
Banshee
Fuck trophies are certainly the MOST IMPORTANT thing to humanity.eye rolling smiley

I think they cease to be "fuck" trophies when IVF is involved.
What utter BS. Rewarding someone for contributing to the overpopulation of the planet. I'm more of a mind to string the bastard up.
Re: Creating children: the most important medical advance in the world :mad2
October 04, 2010
Oh, and if you want more indication of the damage he's done to the environment, here's a photo of the first test tube sprog with her own sprogling:

"Its fantastic news. Me and mum are so glad that one of the pioneers of IVF has been given the recognition he deserves” - Louise Brown, The world's first IVF baby who, aged 32, is now a mother herself
Whoo boy... she sure doesn't look like the brightest penny in the fountain does she. "Me and mum" hmm... certainly not.
Wow, what a scary-looking moo!

No wonder the baybee doesn't look so happy to be in her presence!
I think that this is remarkably ridiculous since there are so many people who are starving to death in the world and many of them are children. FOUR MILLION? I wonder at what financial cost too for the "treatments" alone? Has it EVER occurred to any of these IVF'er cultists just how many existing people could have been fed with the money that they spent to create new people? Biologically speaking, these four million and THEIR spawn should NOT have ever even been conceived. This is wrong on some many levels and in so many degrees that it boggles the mind!angry smiley

If that "Louise" woman's appearance is any indication of what an alleged "miracle" looks like, then I'd hate to see a curse! She' fat AND ugly and looks way older that 32! The only credit that I have ever heard attributed to her was that she was now a MOM!!!!!! WOOHOO! Has she done anything else beside breed I wonder? Giving the Nobel to someone who has contributed GREATLY to the planet's overpopulation is a bizarre and absurd thing to do and I would like to know WHO had a hand in nominating him and which people on the Nobel team voted for him. What a BUNCH of bastards!angry flipping off

------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- -------
If YOU are the "exception" to what I am saying, then why does my commentary bother you so much?
I don't hate your kids, I HATE YOU!
Good lord, that's the million-dollar in-vitro miracle? I was born fat and ugly for free. HA-HAAAA!
Miss_Hannigan
Good lord, that's the million-dollar in-vitro miracle? I was born fat and ugly for free. HA-HAAAA!

I like your attitude. Hey, me too, no petri dish required. waving hellolarious
Bleah, I remember actually thinking that she was kind of cute when she was born - yeeeaaaaacccchhhhh! :hs
This is SICKENING. Think of all the researchers busting their ass and making headway on REAL issues like cancer, etc. And like Kim said, there are already millions/billions of starving people on the planet, and this guy gets lauded for wasting resources that could go towards that end, rather than on making more rich, white, resource-sucking humans??

So now we know that the Nobel committee is a bunch of BREEDERBRAINS. the world 'fail' on flames

In a real twist of irony (or maybe it was on purpose by some like-minded editor), the Nobel story is on the front page of our paper today....right below one about how the beautiful Japanese garden here in town is being trampled to death by crowds lately:

The Japanese garden at Spokane’s Manito Park offers a quiet, meditative experience – but not on nice weekend days.

On Saturday more than 2,000 people, drawn by the warm sunshine, visited the outdoor attraction, creating what parks staff described as a wall-to-wall crowd.

With so many people having discovered this small, manicured gem – with its garden waterfall, gurgling stream and koi pond – city parks staff are cautioning visitors to follow the rules posted at the entry.

“For the size of this garden, there are honestly too many people,” said gardener Nick Simchuck. “We are just overrun.”

The crowds are damaging trees and shrubs and trampling turf, he said.

A park monitor is on hand to ensure that rules are followed, but in recent weeks, that hasn’t curbed problems.

“Some visitors are getting quite aggressive to park staff, basically viewing the garden as theirs to do in and with as they please,” parks spokeswoman Nancy Goodspeed said in a news release.

On Monday, only a handful of people were going through the garden, and problems were under control.

Nelson Antoniuk brought his three small children with him on one of their regular visits to Manito Park.

“Weekends can be crazy,” Antoniuk said while stopping on the arched footbridge across the koi pond.

The city has intentionally kept the garden open for free, but charging admission is one way that crowd problems could be controlled, Goodspeed said.

“People are disregarding everything,” she said.

angry flipping off spanking with a whip on the ass saying 'wtf'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Shauna's like a gluten-free Jim Jones for dumb, lifeless middle-aged women. I swear, this bitch could set fire to a orphanage and they would applaud her for bringing them light. ~ Miss Hannigan
If I remember correctly, didn't an article in an English (I think) medical journal state that all this in vitro shit is going to increase infertility rates and they now have the numbers to prove it. I can't remember what they are or what this group postulates but they think, based on the figures that (and I'm making this up now) that when the in vitro shit started 1 couple in 15 had problems and by 2020 about 1 in 9 are gonna have problems because the defective wanna breeds are going to pass the problem on to their offspring.
Actually, I think I'd invest in these companies: we are going to end up with a species that will be totally incapable of reproduction without outside help.

two cents ¢¢

CERTIFIED HOSEHEAD!!!

people (especially women) do not give ONE DAMN about what they inflict on children and I defy anyone to prove me wrong

Dysfunctional relationships almost always have a child. The more dysfunctional, the more children.

The selfish wants of adults outweigh the needs of the child.

Some mistakes cannot be fixed, but some mistakes can be 'fixed'.

People who say they sleep like a baby usually don't have one. Leo J. Burke

Adoption agencies have strict criteria (usually). Breeders, whose combined IQ's would barely hit triple digits, have none.
I thought of you all yesterday when this story appeared.

It's just so wrong, wrong, wrong to celebrate this unnecessary, expensive and selfish procedure which diverts money, energy, attention and research away from finding cures or preventatives to real problems that plague humanity.

To top it all off, according to the wire story I read, the old guy was apparently too ill to even come to the phone when the committee called -- reading between the lines of his wife's quote (he "would be" happy too) I suspect dementia. So the award will mean nothing to him, it clearly is being promoted for some philosophical or political agenda. Unbelievable.
October 05, 2010
Yeah, I saw this on the news last night. If someone can't get pregnant, then there's a reason they shouldn't be having kids. Instead, this idiot invents a way to make litters of Frankenbabies. IVF needs to be banned!

- The human gene pool could use a little chlorine
M4P
Yeah, I saw this on the news last night. If someone can't get pregnant, then there's a reason they shouldn't be having kids. Instead, this idiot invents a way to make litters of Frankenbabies. IVF needs to be banned!

This! I agree. They could just adopt if they wanted to be a parent so badly.

lab mom
October 07, 2010
Thank goodness for the Onion, which had this lovely headline: Nobel Prize Awarded To Man Who Helped Humans Have More Fucking Babies.
http://www.theonion.com/articles/nobel-prize-awarded-to-man-who-helped-humans-have,18219/

STOCKHOLM—The Nobel Prize in Medicine was awarded Monday to Robert Edwards, the British in vitro fertilization pioneer who made it possible for shitloads more babies to be born on top of the half million or so daily births already dangerously stressing the planet's dwindling resources. "The long-term impact of Edwards' work is absolutely staggering," read a statement from the Nobel Assembly describing the technology that allows infertile couples to not only give birth but choose the gender and eye color of their child instead of, say, adopting one of the thousands of tsunami-orphaned children in need of a home. "We congratulate him on finding a way for rich limpdicks to achieve what nearly a million poor couples do by complete fucking accident every day." Nobel officials also awarded the Prize in Chemistry to the inventor of Pepcid antacids, which allow people to eat twice as much goddamn food as anybody needs, and the Prize in Literature to Twilight author Stephenie Meyer, "because fuck it."
October 07, 2010
yurble
Thank goodness for the Onion, which had this lovely headline: Nobel Prize Awarded To Man Who Helped Humans Have More Fucking Babies.
http://www.theonion.com/articles/nobel-prize-awarded-to-man-who-helped-humans-have,18219/

STOCKHOLM—The Nobel Prize in Medicine was awarded Monday to Robert Edwards, the British in vitro fertilization pioneer who made it possible for shitloads more babies to be born on top of the half million or so daily births already dangerously stressing the planet's dwindling resources. "The long-term impact of Edwards' work is absolutely staggering," read a statement from the Nobel Assembly describing the technology that allows infertile couples to not only give birth but choose the gender and eye color of their child instead of, say, adopting one of the thousands of tsunami-orphaned children in need of a home. "We congratulate him on finding a way for rich limpdicks to achieve what nearly a million poor couples do by complete fucking accident every day." Nobel officials also awarded the Prize in Chemistry to the inventor of Pepcid antacids, which allow people to eat twice as much goddamn food as anybody needs, and the Prize in Literature to Twilight author Stephenie Meyer, "because fuck it."

waving hellolarious Oh, how I love the Onion.
I would LOVE for SouthPark to do a show on this! It's absurd to the point of being ludicrous, I can't even begin to comprehend what motivated this man, unless it has something to do with a "God Complex".

------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- -------
If YOU are the "exception" to what I am saying, then why does my commentary bother you so much?
Okay, which one of us secretly writes for the Onion? waving hellolarious

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Shauna's like a gluten-free Jim Jones for dumb, lifeless middle-aged women. I swear, this bitch could set fire to a orphanage and they would applaud her for bringing them light. ~ Miss Hannigan
CrabCake
Okay, which one of us secretly writes for the Onion? waving hellolarious

I can think of at least 10 of us who are capable of it!bouncing and laughing

Think about it, lurking breeders: This guy helped 4 million extra people be born. That's 4 million extra people out there that will be competing against YOUR precious offspring for seats in the special preschool that you want, roster spots on the traveling sports team, admission in college, job opportunities, and pretty much everything else.

Good luck with that.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________
"Not every ejaculation deserves a name" - George Carlin
What the fuck?! That frankenmoo is 32 years old?! She looks 20 years older at the least.

Here's a thought. When new technologies are in their fledgling phase, they tend to not work very well. Remember Dolly the sheep, the first mammal ever cloned in 1997? She was born with shorter-than-normal telomeres (the "caps" at the end of chromosomes that protect them from deterioration), having been cloned from a six-year-old sheep.

With each cell division, the telomeres become shorter and shorter until the cell can no longer divide, reaching what is known as the Hayflick limit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hayflick_limit

As a consequence of this, Dolly was born "middle-aged", and subsequently developed an obesity problem and a progressive lung disease, which lead to her early death. The average lifespan of a sheep is roughly twelve years.

Seeing as Louise Brown's parents were early adopters of an technology that had yet to be perfected and Louise herself being the first ever frankenloaf in the world, she may carry similar fucked-up genes (albeit different from Dolly's situation), but that's just my theory from a quick observation of that photo. hysterical laughterz

As for Robert Edwards winning the Nobel Prize? Fuck him. People giving awards to people who discover and implement more efficient ways of ruining the planet. I don't give a rat's keister about the Nobel Prize. It's a popularity contest. Nothing more, nothing less.
UGH. I'm so so so opposed to IVF.
By the way, Louise Brown reminds me of this.

Anyone remember...

DIVINE

Like two peas in a freaking pod.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login