Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Disruptive Mood Dysregulation Disorder, or DMDD: New "Temper Tantrum" diagnosis:rolleyes2

Posted by kidlesskim 
http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2011/10/24/labeling-tantrums-a-mental-illness-doesnt-help/

"Labeling tantrums a mental illness doesn't help"
Dr. Claudia M. Gold is a pediatrician and author of "Keeping Your Child in Mind: Overcoming Defiance, Tantrums and Other Everyday Behavior Problems by Seeing the World Through Your Child's Eyes."
She certainly seems qualified to call BULLSHIT when she sees it!:BS

"In the winter of 2010, there was a lot of talk in the news (and I wrote an Op-Ed in The Boston Globe, "Warning label on new diagnosis") about a proposed new diagnosis for children, then called temper dysregulation disorder with dysphoria, or TDD. The committee that is assigned the task of creating the new DSM-V, the diagnostic manual for mental health, got a lot of flak, so now they have changed the name to disruptive mood dysregulation disorder, or DMDD......................... Just one more "mental illness" welfare whores can use to get a kiddie crazy check. If the kid is 6 or over and throws tantrums, he will undoubtedly get this diagnosis and qualify for a checkeye rolling smiley

Many thought that including the word "temper" would make temper tantrums, a normal and healthy part of development, a disorder. So is the new label an improvement? I think the whole discussion is misguided. It diverts our energies for addressing the real problem, namely that there is not enough help in this country, in the form of primary care, mental health care or community support, for struggling parents who are on the front lines raising the next generation. "..out on the front lines raising the next generation" saying 'wtf' These are SHITTY parents who have no business raising kids, yet here they are referred to as if they are BRAVE soldiers BOLDLY keeping the human race from dying out. PA-LEASE!

........Here is a typical case of "disruptive mood dysregulation" that I see in my behavioral pediatrics practice at age 6 or above. Often, the pregnancy was very stressful. There may have been anxiety, depression, abuse or abandonment. There is evidence that stress in pregnancy has effects on an infant's capacity for self -regulation and is associated with later behavior problems in childhood. Infancy is similarly described as stressful. Mothers tell me about babies who cried all the time and were difficult to feed. They speak of terrible depression and feelings of being completely alone. Having a very challenging baby can lead to feelings of inadequacy and severe sleep deprivation, both of which may exacerbate a preexisting depression........................... In other words, a shitty home environment CAUSES this new "mental illness".:headbrick

Entering toddlerhood, a stage that under normal circumstances is challenging as children strive to assert their emerging selves, can be a nightmare when a child already has difficulty with self-regulation. These children often have a variety of sensory sensitivities. They decompensate in the grocery store, overwhelmed by all of the sounds and sights............................................ "Decompensate" in the grocery stores? Is that what a brat pitching a bitch in the middle of the aisle now being called?:complaining about a brat

................Parents may describe terrible marital conflict. Or mothers may be raising a child alone. Not uncommonly, mothers and fathers have themselves experienced significant traumas in their own childhoods. No big surprise there. The new mental illness mostly affects kids of single moos, white trash who are always fighting and hitting each other, and mentally fucked up people who themselves had shitty childhoods rifled with abuse and trauma eye rolling smiley

I believe that an extended discussion of what to call this "mood dysregulation" at age 6 and above is completely off the mark. These children are certainly not "normal," as is often mentioned as the alternative to giving them a diagnosis. They and their families are suffering terribly. But giving them a label does not accomplish anything. It only makes it easier to bill for services and, even worse, to justify using powerful psychiatric drugs rather than treating the underlying cause................................................. She hit the NAIL on the head. "Easier to bill" means more Medicaid and private insurance will be billed for it AND since it will be a bona fide "mental illness" listed in the pediatric kiddie crazy bible, they will be camped outside doctors' offices and waiting in line for a crazy check diagnosis like we might see for a Grateful Dead concert ticket.:smn

------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- -------
If YOU are the "exception" to what I am saying, then why does my commentary bother you so much?
I don't hate your kids, I HATE YOU!
HOLY SHIT! Anything to absolve inept parents of their fucking responsibilities to raise their brats right.
Yeah, "temper dysregulation disorder", my ass. What a load of bull. I think a far more accurate label would be "brats with parents that suck at parenting." Why does it seem like every other kid has some sort of special diagnosis these days? Oh wait, this pretty much explains it I think...
kidlesskim
Just one more "mental illness" welfare whores can use to get a kiddie crazy check. If the kid is 6 or over and throws tantrums, he will undoubtedly get this diagnosis and qualify for a check
How oh how did parents before THIS generation ever ever cope with temper tantrums? Oh let's see. They spanked their asses and made sure they knew right from wrong. And don't tell me that parents who worked 10 or 12 hours a day on a family farm, had to haul their own water, cook on a wood stove, and wash clothes on a board had it easier than these whiny bastards of today. I am so sick of all the excuses for parents that we are supposed to fall for, as if they are 'victims.' The only victims are their sprogs, who have to figure out on their own how to behave since they have no fucking role models that are worth a shit.
I have never seen a tantrum that wasn't cured either by spanking or by throwing a blanket over the kid's head and turning up the TV very loudly.
When my boyfriend and I were out antiquing on Sunday, we decided to take a walk by the Quay. You have to cross a set of train-tracks, which have a cross-walk, equipped with a button and lights.
Behind us was a moo with a passel of brats, hughjass stroller loaded with pumpkins etc. She-brat decided to have a meltdown in the middle of the friggin' train tracks! I couldn't help but laugh my evil bitchy head off, thinking that Darwin has a future contestant for his award.
Moo tried grabbing and dragging the brat, but she didn't do anything to discipline. She could have talked sternly to she-brat, given her a swat on the rear, something. Instead, she tried reasoning with her.
Of course,the she-brat continued screaming and screeching as I laughed and mocked the moo until we were way ahead of them.
Mental Disorder, my sweet, sweet ASS, it's called LACK OF DISCIPLINE....one good whack or a threat of a spanking would've gotten that hellion moving off the tracks.
I'm sure Darwin will be waiting to hand her the speshul Anna Marie Schtickel award...
I have this amazing new cure for DMDD that I call a Lateral Posterior Impact Enhancer.

Simple to operate, sturdy, and nearly 100% effectiveness. And cheap - only $19.99 apiece! Buy one in the next ten minutes and you'll also get a FREE set of earplugs!
sure, yeah give em drugs, it keeps their noise out of my space when I'm out in public

give em as much tranquilizers as possible.
I think it should instead be called ABDD (Ass Beating Deprivation Disorder).
marco polo
I think it should instead be called ABDD (Ass Beating Deprivation Disorder).
hysterical laughterz

This made me think of a family friend who says "Want a cure for ADD/ADHD? B-E-L-T! My folks used it on me and I turned out just fine smug "
Follow the money...

two cents ΒΆΒΆ

CERTIFIED HOSEHEAD!!!

people (especially women) do not give ONE DAMN about what they inflict on children and I defy anyone to prove me wrong

Dysfunctional relationships almost always have a child. The more dysfunctional, the more children.

The selfish wants of adults outweigh the needs of the child.

Some mistakes cannot be fixed, but some mistakes can be 'fixed'.

People who say they sleep like a baby usually don't have one. Leo J. Burke

Adoption agencies have strict criteria (usually). Breeders, whose combined IQ's would barely hit triple digits, have none.
Also, I'd imagine it sucks for teachers who get students with this "diagnosis" and then have to make accomodations for them in the classroom because of it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login