Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Oh Noes. Ebil state of Texas making me pay for my kids' vaccines

Posted by navi8orgirl 
Oh Noes. Ebil state of Texas making me pay for my kids' vaccines
January 25, 2012
Idiot Facebook Moocow: can someone please research this and release this change to the public. as a mother of a 2 year old and a soon to be 4 month old, this is a HUGE expense that i was not prepared to pay for vaccinations. the TVFC is no longer funding the expense for vaccinations for people with insurance and i only found out because my dr's office called to inform me! this needs to be made public! here is the link!

Texas Vaccines for Children (TVFC) Program: Eligibility Policy Changes to TVFC 12/28/2011

(2) TVFC Patient Eligibility

The following changes to TVFC patient eligibility are effective beginning January 1, 2012.
Updated Policy:
Children, birth through 18 years of age, who meet at least one of the following criteria, are
eligible to receive TVFC vaccine from any TVFC-enrolled provider:

• Medicaid eligible: A child who is eligible for the Medicaid program
• Uninsured: A child who has no health insurance coverage
• American Indian or Alaskan Native
• Underinsured (*New Definition*): A child who has commercial (private) health
insurance, but coverage does not include vaccines; a child whose insurance covers only
selected vaccines (TVFC-eligible for non-covered vaccines only); or a child whose
insurance caps vaccine coverage at a certain amount. Once that coverage amount is reached, the child is categorized as underinsured.
• Enrolled in CHIP

1. Children who have private insurance that covers vaccines will no longer be eligible for TVFC vaccines in public health department clinics, but instead will be referred to their medical home for immunization services. In some cases, local health departments may be the medical home that provides comprehensive healthcare services. In these cases, private insurance is accepted in those public health settings. Private stock vaccine must be purchased and/or acquired in order to continue vaccinating fully, privately insured children.

The definition of “Underinsured" will be modified as described in the section below. Insured children with vaccine coverage who have high copays or deductibles are no longer considered underinsured. These children are now considered fully, privately insured and are no longer eligible for TVFC vaccines. Children qualifying under the new definition of underinsured will continue to be eligible to receive vaccines in any TVFC-enrolled provider office. Underinsured children are not required to be referred to a Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC) or Rural Health Clinic (RHC).

So lemme get this straight….you birfed them, and you want the state to pay for their vaccines even though you are fully insured but don’t want to budget copays into your life. Yet you have the money to pay for the computer and internet that allowed you to bitch about it on Facebook.

Priorities, priorities.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
From a bottle cap message on a Magic Hat #9 beer: Condoms Prevent Minivans
I want to pick up a bus full of unruly kids and feed them gummi bears and crack, then turn them loose in Hobby Lobby to ransack the place. They will all be wearing T shirts that say "You Could Have Prevented This."
I'm a big advocate of people being financially responsible for themselves instead of living on state money. Every time I suggest something like this I get a huge backlash of, "But what about parents with cheeldrunnnnn?" I say make them pay for their kids, then. They're funneling hundreds of thousands of dollars into the kid anyway; if their budget was that much of a shoestring they shouldn't have sprogged to begin with. So then the parentals cry, "What happens if people can't afford to have kyds because of thisssss?" I say GOOD! If forcing people to be financially responsible for themselves also makes them more responsible about reproduction, then great, that's how it should be!
Re: Oh Noes. Ebil state of Texas making me pay for my kids' vaccines
January 25, 2012
oh, for fuck's sake.
January 25, 2012
myrna minkoff
oh, for fuck's sake.

That was my exact thought.

(I refrained from commenting, because my FB page is my real identity lol.)

I want to pick up a bus full of unruly kids and feed them gummi bears and crack, then turn them loose in Hobby Lobby to ransack the place. They will all be wearing T shirts that say "You Could Have Prevented This."
January 25, 2012
Well, at least there's one good thing about all of this: There are some moos willing to get their little shits vaccinated.
January 25, 2012
Aesirson
Well, at least there's one good thing about all of this: There are some moos willing to get their little shits vaccinated.

But maybe only when it is free.

January 25, 2012
navi8orgirl
Aesirson

But maybe only when it is free.

Very true.
In a way I'm torn on this issue. Yes, moo should be responsible for it's own problems. But if vaccines were free and mandated by law, we could possibly shut down the anti vax crowd for good.
January 25, 2012
satansbitch nli
In a way I'm torn on this issue. Yes, moo should be responsible for it's own problems. But if vaccines were free and mandated by law, we could possibly shut down the anti vax crowd for good.

There is this...and maybe the "free" vaccines could be recouped by charging more for copays on pediatric visits or something. Let the moos THINK it's free and then tax the shit out of them elsewhere and route the money back. Higher school fees maybe.
January 25, 2012
I could see this resulting in more anti-vaxers. "We have to PAY to poison our children with death needles? No vaccines everrrrr!" I kinda wish vaccines were free (and required by law) too; Moos loooooove free stuff.
I think I still have to side with the parents paying for it themselves. If it were "free" that means taxpayers would be funding it, i.e. everyone, including us. The Village would be paying for the parents' decision to have children, and I'm not cool with funding other people's personal choices that they should have been accountable for themselves if they are able to do it on their own. I call it a monetary :bedmadelie. If they choose not to vaccinate their kid, then that's their choice to take on the risk, same as many parents don't take their kids to the dentist and knowingly take on the risk they'll end up with poor teeth, or take their kids to loud concerts knowing it could give them hearing damage.
I'm going to have to say that I'd prefer vaccinations be covered because it's for the good of the people and encouraging herd immunity (something that is quickly being eliminated thanks to the anti-vax crowd). Same with funding public education. Everything else, however, they can get fucked. There should be no monetary aid, credits, or deductions given to parents. Maybe if brunt of the financial responsibility to raise children rested solely with those who brought them into the world, people would give a bit more thought. Maybe the teen pregnancy rate would plummet when they're no longer being rewarded for it (and bring back the days of shame and ostracization, too).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login