Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Cloth Diaper Betting Pool

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
Cloth Diaper Betting Pool
October 10, 2006
Last night my APW friend's sister's boyfriend (got that? we'll call him Alan for shortcut sake) called me to confirm my attendance at APW's baby shower that is scheduled later this month. We discussed my idea of the restaurant gift certificate/babysitting by yours truly idea and also other things that she will need once the sprog arrives in early December.

One of the things we discussed is my friend's desire to use cloth diapers. Alan said that this is admirable, but he also feels that it's going to last about one week until she realizes how difficult it is going to be. They don't have a large house and therefore, the smell is going to be horrendous. Besides, who wants to carry around shitty diapers to have to wash when you get home. Nasty! (BTW, I think the only people who should be using cloth diapers are the Duggar's. They fill enough landfill as it is.)

So we have a little betting pool started behind my APW friend's back. I know, it's awful, but it's another one of those "told you so" things I love to hang over someone's head.

I am also going to give her a baby first aid kit as well, with everything pre-approved by the American Medical Association, so she can't say "but my baby can't take children's tylenol for a feverrrrrr". Uh, yes, she can. Seriously, this is the person that wouldn't use my generic antacid because they weren't Tums, so I'm not taking any chances.

My guess is December 29th that they cave and buy some pampers. Anyone want to proffer up their own guess? I promise to provide updates for all you lovers of schadenfreude.
CFScorpio
Re: Cloth Diaper Betting Pool
October 10, 2006
They have cloth diaper services that will come to your house and pick up the dirty diapers and drop off clean ones. No idea how much it costs, but it might be worth it.
CJ
October 10, 2006
Wow, I hope they can keep up with the cloth diapers! I've heard that those handy disposables can last over 200 years in a landfill! Fossilized poop, anyone?
October 11, 2006
i would say cloth would be best, but have a pack of disposable in case of emergencies, like if they are out..

i would say any holiday xmas would be the time so my date is the 24th of december (thats why its called landfill, we are filling in the land we took stuff out of unless you want huge holes around the planet)

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
October 11, 2006
I think your betting pool is great. I've started bets like that with my spouse whenever a friend/co-worker/acquaintence sets themselves up like that. Saying "always" or "never" when it comes to parenthood decisions is just asking for it! I think the shine comes off the apple before January 1st.

But if they use a diaper service, all bets are off. That just might save them.
Anonymous User
October 11, 2006
"But if they use a diaper service, all bets are off. That just might save them."

---------------------

Um, this breeder is the one that said she can't afford to take kitty to the vet if he gets sick, so I HIGHLY doubt a diaper service is going to be in the picture.
CFScorpio
October 11, 2006
NotQuiteSure Wrote:
>
> Um, this breeder is the one that said she can't
> afford to take kitty to the vet if he gets sick,
> so I HIGHLY doubt a diaper service is going to be
> in the picture.

Yes, but this is the almighty sprog we're talking about; not a lowly animal. Nothing is too good for little Sproggums!
October 11, 2006
I don't think the cloth diapers will last a week.

lab mom
October 12, 2006
I say cloth diapers last 4 weeks, IF they get a service. If no service, cloth won't last a week.

Even with a diaper service, you still have to get the chunky bits out, and then keep the shitty diapers in a bin somewhere in your house for several days at least. When you're out you'll still have to store and transport the shitty diapers. Plus, you've got to clean your own plastic pants that go over the diapers, becuase of course one needs a barrier of some sort between all that wet cloth and the rest of the world.

Well, cloth diapers aren't all that anyway when it comes to protecting the planet. There would be increased water and energy usage because you have to be doing laundry constantly to keep up. But then again, is there ANYTHING about having children that's GOOD for the planet?

"It truly is the one commonality that every designation of humans you can think of has, there's at least one asshole."
--Me
October 12, 2006
I would imagine that, in addition to all the water and energy waste (and gas for the pick-up service), implied in the cloth-diaper route, there's also a hell of a lot of bleach going into the process. Yeah, I doubt it's much better for the environment, all told, than disposables. Just differnt. Why are people so in denial about the negative environmental impact of sprogging? It's loud and clear.
October 12, 2006
Ah....right you are. I must have overlooked that part. Okaaaaaay. Changing my bet. Pampers by January 1!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login