Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

3 generations of family killed in NY car crash tragedy

Posted by Anonymous User 
http://n e w s.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/bronx-zoo-suv-plunge-father-lost-family-says-131609439.html

Saw this article today on Yahoo news (remove spaces in the word "news").

A middle-aged woman accidentally drove her car off an elevated freeway, and everyone in the car (her, her elderly parents, young daughter, sister, and two young nieces) all perished. Her husband commented that he'd lost his whole family and wished he were dead too.

Everyone would agree that this is a horrific tragedy. Sitting at my desk, I almost started to tear up thinking of how painful it would be to lose so many loved ones in such a shocking way. How would you be able to pull yourself together and make all of those arrangements, and try to process it all? I have no idea.

It made me think for the millionth time that there HAS to be more to life than the legacy you leave behind in your offspring, should you choose to have them. Were these two elderly folks' lives made any less significant by their daughters, and all their daughters' children, being accidentally killed in one fell swoop? Is this more tragic that their genes won't "go on", and how many people perceive it as being tragic for that fact more so than the simple fact that they all died abruptly and needlessly? For all I know these elderly folks had other children that weren't affected, but it just made me think about the value of their lives independently of their legacy or perceived lack thereof post-accident.
It was a very tragic accident. Reports like this make you realize once again that having kids for the purpose of "legacy" doesn't mean its going to be passed on. They could end up dying.
Re: 3 generations of family killed in NY car crash tragedy
April 30, 2012
MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Crash

--------------------
"[GFG's pregnancy is] kind of like at the stables where that one dumb, ugly-ass mare broke out of her corral one day and got herself screwed by the equally fugly colt that was due to be gelded the same afternoon."- Shiny
April 30, 2012
From the news:

Police identified the victims as driver Maria Gonzalez, 45; Jocelyn Gonzalez, 10; Maria Nunez, 39; Niely Rosario, 7; Marly Rosario, 3; Jacob Nunez, 85; and Ana Julia Martinez, 81.

It is sad, in an "omg, I can imagine the terror; the last few hysterical moments of their lives when they hoped they'd be OK, then a horrific impact and darkness." Imagining that happen to anyone throws one into a moment of silence, but then I read

Browne said the driver likely overcompensated when the left side of the SUV struck the barrier.

The vehicle was traveling at a high speed, said FDNY Deputy Chief Ronald Werner.

Well, there ya go. Traveling too fast in the left lane, the driver tags the median strip, jerks the wheel to the side and turns the vehicle into a wildly-veering canon ball. Sucks to be them, but it's their own fault. I feel little sympathy for these people who feel that they have to get someplace 30 seconds before everyone else, driving too fast and constantly shifting lanes to do so. I see it as a bonus to my CF life that I'm rarely pressed. The one time I intentionally broke my own speed record was when I got a call at work that my husband had collapsed and been taken to the emergency room. Otherwise, I've carved out a life where I can be laid back and enjoy the drive, not get it over with as fast as possible because I have other pressing things to do.
April 30, 2012

The vehicle was traveling at a high speed, said FDNY Deputy Chief Ronald Werner.
I heard on a news clip that they were speeding at 70mph. Around here, driving at 70mph you might as well be sitting still; when we cruise at 70 people fly by us like we aren't even moving.

It's a sad situation. Kids or not, if one loses his/her closest family members I can see being extremely devastated to the point of not wanting to live. If I lost my DH, my siblings & their spouses and my mother in one fell swoop, I don't think I would want to go on living either. For some people family (whether or not there are kids) are extremely important and a huge part of their lives.
It's really sad.
April 30, 2012
DivaLasVegas

I heard on a news clip that they were speeding at 70mph. Around here, driving at 70mph you might as well be sitting still; when we cruise at 70 people fly by us like we aren't even moving.

And the posted speed limit was 50, as I read. Critics of the highway system noted that it is an antiquated road, the driver was probably keeping with the flow of the traffic. But she was in the left lane and clipped the median, initiating the wreck.

DivaLasVegas
It's really sad.

It is, it certainly is. Even for us CF snarkers, there is sympathy. I just have a bit less considering the way the woman was piloting the car. She made some fucked up moves and got everyone (including herself) killed. I don't like hearing parents say their kids are precious cargo, or the most important beings in their lives, then not prove that by their actions.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login