Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How they take care of you when you are old

Posted by blondie 
How they take care of you when you are old
July 30, 2012
Yes breeders, they will definitely take care of you when you are old. If I ever hear that bingo again I will refer to this new lifestyle, where the elderly just continue supporting everyone. Certainly families should pull together in hard times if possible but this isn't together, it's all on the old people's backs.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/29/world/europe/spains-elders-bearing-burden-of-recession.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&ref=global-home

ZARAGOZA, Spain — Dolores Fernández Mora, 76, and her husband, Mariano Blesa Julvé, 75, once thought they would end their days in relative comfort, their house paid off and a solid pension of about $1,645 a month. Perhaps they would travel a bit.

Instead, they are supporting their unemployed 48-year-old daughter and two of her unemployed adult sons who now live with them in their tiny two-bedroom home here in northern Spain. They have taken over their daughter’s debts. Sometimes there is hardly money for food.

“While she isn’t working, I don’t have new teeth, and that is that,” said Ms. Fernández, who, seated in her living room recently, showed off the gaps in her smile.

As the effects of years of recession pile up here, more and more Spanish families — with unemployment checks running out and stuck with mortgages they cannot pay — are leaning hard on their elderly relatives. And there is little relief in sight.

Spain’s latest round of austerity measures appears to have done little to restore investor confidence. And new employment statistics released Friday showed that the jobless rate had risen to a record 25 percent.

Pensions for the elderly are among the few benefits that have not been slashed, though they have been frozen since last year. The Spanish are known for their strong family networks, and most grandparents are eager to help, unwilling to admit to outsiders what is going on, experts say. But those who work with older people say it has not been easy. Many struggle to feed three generations now, their homes overcrowded and the tensions of the situation sometimes turning their lives to misery.

In some cases, families are removing their relatives from nursing homes so they can collect their pensions. It is a trend that has advocates concerned about whether the younger generations are going too far, even if grandparents agree to the move or are too infirm to notice.

“The crisis in Spain is affecting the elderly in a very special way,” said the Rev. Ángel García, who runs a nonprofit group helping children and the elderly. “Many grandparents want to give what they can, and they do. But, unfortunately, sometimes what is happening is that the younger generation is ransacking the older generation. They are taking all that they have.”
Re: How they take care of you when you are old
July 30, 2012
This crisis is hitting harder on the middle aged people. Young one, like me, look forward to a rather hard future, but at least there are no lies around. Meaning: there will be a lot of work to be done, but at least we know it.

People who are in their late 40th, or in their 50th, started believing that they could Have It All (in every sense) and are finding out that it is not like it.

Still, when I think that one of my grandfather was expulsed from Egypt at my age (he was born there), with only the clothes on his back and throw to work in a post-war, totally destroyed foreign country while the other had to take his wife and two children and drive up Milan with against next to nothing after the War had reduced his possession in Puglia to litteral ruin, I count myself lucky.

There is too few information in the article to be able to answer properly, though. Are the daughter and granchildren doing something to help? Are they searching for job compulsively? Are they doing EVERYTHING they can?

It is a bad moment for Spain and Greece. Temporary relapse is to be understood, I think.

“I was talking about children that have not been properly house-trained. Left to their own impulses and indulged by doting or careless parents almost all children are yahoos. Loud, selfish, cruel, unaffectionate, jealous, perpetually striving for attention, empty-headed, for ever prating or if words fail them simply bawling, their voices grown huge from daily practice: the very worst company in the world. But what I dislike even more than the natural child is the affected child, the hulking oaf of seven or eight that skips heavily about with her hands dangling in front of her -- a little squirrel or bunny-rabbit -- and prattling away in a baby's voice.”

― Patrick O'Brian, The Truelove

lib'-er-ty: the freedom given to you to make the wrong decision, based on the reasoned belief that you will normally make the right one.
July 30, 2012
Well who is holding a gun to their head and forcing them to take in their deadbeat kids and grandkids? Why can't Granny put her foot down and tell her daughter to take her useless kids and her debts elsewhere? Or give them an ultimatum, like, "If you don't have a job by XX date, we're throwing you out?" And for gods' sake, actually follow through with it. Moo will catch on to an idle threat real quick and all it takes is not following up on one threat for her to realize Granny's full of shit.

I've never been to Spain, so I have no idea if the whole "several generations living in one house" thing is normal. Granny needs to not be so spineless if she doesn't want to be broke (and 5 people in a 2 bedroom? I wonder if Moo co-sleeps). If you give a breeder an inch, they WILL take a mile or three, so you can't even give them that little bit.

I'm not sure what's worse - dumping elderly parents in a nursing home and never seeing them until their funerals, or keeping them at home (and most likely neglecting them) just to collect their government money. And if there's inheritance to be had, I wouldn't be surprised if some people would intentionally deny or mix up their parents' meds to sort of get to the reading of the will a little quicker.
July 30, 2012
Ohhhh, so THIS is how one's kyds take care of them when they're old! I see now - this has totally made me change my mind! I'm having as many brats as possible! /sarcasm

On a serious note, though, I agree with Cambion: These elderly twits need to grow spines and just fucking say "NO!" to the younger, worthless twits. They're making it so not having a job or a steady income has no consequence for them. Disgusting.
July 30, 2012
Basically it's just like in the US, middle-aged and gen Y baybees living off gran and gramps. It IS not just about the recession as this trend started before 2007, WAY before, only now shame is nonexistant and the bad economy can be used as an excuse for those who don't want to work anyway. Some of my famblee members were ahead of their time in this respect and were doing this years ago with no shame.

I'd like to know what debts of the fifty year old daughter the elderly mother took on. Why not let her suffer the consequences of the debts and concentrate on buying food and necessities? I do blame the grandparents if they are of sound mind, for letting this happen. It doesn't seem to be a temporary thing but a new kind of lifestyle that some people expect.

In the world of decency, adults would look out for their elderly parents and make sure they are ok. Help them as much as possible and if they do need to go into care, be involved, because the care facilities will take good care of the patients with involved familes who monitor. If these people are pulling their parents out of decent care to take their pensions that could be considered a crime.
Lets not forget that this is happening in North America to some extent as well. We now have "children" living with their parents until theyre good and ready to leave the cushy lifestyle of their parents basement at the tender age of 30 of 35. Whether its because they cant find a job or dont want to the fact remains, these days if you have kids you probably wont be retiring any time soon. Just think about it, if you have adult kids at home you are feeding an extra 1-3 mouths you shouldnt be feeding at that age and you cant downside your home until they leave. There go your golden years of traveling! When someone asks me "who will take care of me in my old age?" I tell them that I will because unlike you I will have money having never spent thousands of dollars a year on kids and college tuition only to hope that in my old age they MIGHT visit me in a sub-par retirement home while I sit around all day in my mumu waiting by the phone.

Great article blondie. Cant wait to use it to my advantage next time I get bingoed!
July 30, 2012
That's just sad.

I'm beginning to think that most of the world's issues stem from greedy breeders. Many things do boil down to this.
July 30, 2012
There's a LOT of adult people WITH their brats crashing on grandparents in my area, a lot. There's also great grand parents taking in strays too and many of them are in their 70's and 80's. I think the grand parents need to cut them loose and force them to survive on their own, but all their kids or grand kids have to do is wave a grandloaf in front of them and they cave. In these cases it's the fault of the grand parents they are allowing themselves to be taken advantage of by their adult self replicants.:bedmadelie

------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- -------
If YOU are the "exception" to what I am saying, then why does my commentary bother you so much?
I don't hate your kids, I HATE YOU!
July 30, 2012
Listening to one of my older colleagues today, he has taken in both of his sons and their families into their large Westwood home and their daughter is saying she is going to be moving in too. Of course, none of his brats will give a dime towards supporting household expenses. He said his oldest son is going through a divorce and expects his father to pay the child support for him. WTF?
July 30, 2012
I hate leeches. I still live with my parents but at least I'm making the effort to find a job. I even told my parents I have no problem paying rent.
July 30, 2012
I guess nobody needs privacy anymore? Western society is devoloping the habits of third world nations by choice. I understand some cultures traditionally have multi generational homes but they are set up that way and they tend to respect each other and contribute.

But this other thing is people going back home to mooch, beg and even steal from their parents. Yes, I see it a lot and it is not about those who really need to do it due to college or lack of opportunities. They will quit jobs or screw up consistently with spending, and then move home, expect moo/duh to pay for everything and have no intention of leaving. Like they never grew up after age 15.

I love that I have a home, and will be getting a larger one with spare rooms, comfy sofas, a media center and maybe a pool table and a bar, and no mooching kid will ever get to use it.

Oh, and LOL, he wants his father to pay his child support?! WTF>
July 30, 2012
blondie
I guess nobody needs privacy anymore? Western society is devoloping the habits of third world nations by choice. I understand some cultures traditionally have multi generational homes but they are set up that way and they tend to respect each other and contribute.

But this other thing is people going back home to mooch, beg and even steal from their parents. Yes, I see it a lot and it is not about those who really need to do it due to college or lack of opportunities. They will quit jobs or screw up consistently with spending, and then move home, expect moo/duh to pay for everything and have no intention of leaving. Like they never grew up after age 15.

I love that I have a home, and will be getting a larger one with spare rooms, comfy sofas, a media center and maybe a pool table and a bar, and no mooching kid will ever get to use it.

Oh, and LOL, he wants his father to pay his child support?! WTF>

My last ex husband's parents paid HIS child support for several years. AFTER the court reversed custody and he received child support from the courts, he never told his parents and continued to take their money. In addition to that, he pocketed all of the money never paying a DIME towards his own kid as well as he stole about 250k from her college fund the grand parents all contributed to for 15years. I found out all about this about 3 months before I left him, TOLD his mother, and she said, "Well, there's nothing I can do about it now" and the VERY NEXT MONTH they gave him the money anyway, as if they didn't know. After that they had the,"we stand by our son" mentality, even though it was obvious what a jackass he was being.:headbrick

It isn't because they didn't believe me either because I supplied them with all the bank statements so they would STOP handing the fucker money and FORCE him to take responsibility, stop gambling away everything we had, and GROW THE FUCK UP by age 50, already! :headbrick Oh, we've been divorced in 2005 and since that time he's lived, "at home" with his 80 something parents, when he isn't fucking off living ON CAMPUS at The University of Alabama, at their expense. He's allegedly working towards yet ANOTHER useless PHD in God only knows what THIS time, which he never used the other two before and likely never plans to use this new one to EARN a living.eye rolling smiley

Yeah, in many cases it's the parents who are enabling the shit out of their adult children and it's their own damned faults ther adult kids turned into the selfish leeches they became.: There is NO EXCUSE for a 56 y/o man with two PHD's to be "living at home", NOT working, and leeching from his parents for seven fucking years. They GET what they deserve, IMHO, in most cases because it's their faults. :bedmadelie

------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- -------
If YOU are the "exception" to what I am saying, then why does my commentary bother you so much?
I don't hate your kids, I HATE YOU!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login