Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Autism is an excuse!

Posted by yurble 
Autism is an excuse!
August 25, 2012
Blog post: 'Autism Is No Excuse? Really?'
http://www.blogher.com/when-strangers-refuse-accommodate-autism

The author describes how she and her child were about to go on a boat tour when he said he needed to go to the bathroom. There was a "visibly over-full public restroom across the street" and a Burger King. She opted for the Burger King.

She asked if her son could jump the line because of his autism. A man said autism did not justify that request, and that she was teaching her son bad behavior by asking for special treatment. "Why wouldn't that man believe me? In what universe do people deny accommodations to children with special needs?" she wails. She complains that the man didn't make any attempt to learn about her son's disability.

"This is why I continue to advocate for autism acceptance instead of autism awareness," she writes (I think she means 'accomodation'). "The stranger obviously knew the word 'autism,' he just considered it a soft option." She continues, suggesting that she was 'reluctant' to ask for special treatment and would not have done so if it hadn't been absolutely necessary:

I know people tend to turn feral in touristy areas, but the incident shook my faith in social contracts. Perhaps I walk in a bubble, but I believe people will not ask for accommodation unless they need it. Does being an earnest fan of the Golden Rule make me naive?

It doesn't make her naive, it makes her part of the problem. If someone doesn't know that the social contract has been ripped up by large numbers of entitled people who demand everything and usually don't even bother to ask for it, it can only be because that person isn't among those who are constantly expected to bend over backwards...in other words, she's on the other side of the equation.

There are some obvious contradictions in her story:
  • She believes there is a social contract, but she broke it when she took her child into the Burger King restroom, which is intended for customers. The public restroom is intended for the public.
  • She complains that the man did not try to talk to her son or otherwise identify his disability, but she did not try to understand his circumstances, either. Maybe (quite likely) this was already the 10th time that day that he'd annoyed by bizzy famblees and he relished the opportunity to say no to further entitlement. Maybe he had a boat he wanted to catch.
  • She says that the man knows what autism is, which could be why he declined to give up his place in line. I have never heard of this particular condition being linked to being incontinent. If someone approaches me to cut in line because of IBS, I will agree unless my own condition is equally pressing. If someone asks to cut because of autism, with no further explanation, it sounds like someone seeking accomodation just because they want it.
  • The reason she gives for wanting to cut in line is that that her son "can't always tolerate waiting in line." That's a piss-poor excuse. If there's one thing that most people know about autism, it is that people thrive on routine and a rules-based approach. If he can't wait in line, maybe she should make it his routine. Teach him that the rule is waiting in line.
  • Another possible reason she gives is that "a too-noisy room can shut down autistic people of any age." If that's the case, he's hardly going to enjoy a boat tour departing from Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco - talk about a noisy environment!
  • Speaking of that boat, she downplays the fact that they were just about to board the boat when she is in the restroom, although I have no doubt that was foremost in her mind since she described the scenario as "one of my worst parenting nightmares, jerks aside." They did miss the boat, but were able to get on the next tour, which is probably why she no longer remembers the stress she had at the time about getting on the boat. She might have had better results if she'd explained that they were in a hurry and politely asked if they could go first, although of course the man would still be entitled to decline.

There's a bit of a voice in the comments about how you should try to teach your child that the world doesn't revolve around him, but it's quickly shouted down with a chorus of "it's my child you're talking about" along with a persistent "any child who needs to use the bathroom should get to go before an adult." There were people who found it awful that such a man existed and who hoped he'd be bitten by a sea lion. Also, OMG HOW DARE SOMEONE TAKE THE DEVIL'S ADVOCATE POSITION? THAT'S NOT HELPING!!!!

Moos who lament the loss of "common courtesy" and then go "mama bear" in the next breath are leading the assault against the social contract. The mama bear act shows everyone that it isn't about politeness or fairness, about about the primacy of her own offspring.
Re: Autism is an excuse!
August 25, 2012
You nailed it.

Autism is not incontinency. You don't get first place on the line.

Also, I can't wait for the son of this woman to become a feral autistic teen. Oh boy, bring on the firework...

“I was talking about children that have not been properly house-trained. Left to their own impulses and indulged by doting or careless parents almost all children are yahoos. Loud, selfish, cruel, unaffectionate, jealous, perpetually striving for attention, empty-headed, for ever prating or if words fail them simply bawling, their voices grown huge from daily practice: the very worst company in the world. But what I dislike even more than the natural child is the affected child, the hulking oaf of seven or eight that skips heavily about with her hands dangling in front of her -- a little squirrel or bunny-rabbit -- and prattling away in a baby's voice.”

― Patrick O'Brian, The Truelove

lib'-er-ty: the freedom given to you to make the wrong decision, based on the reasoned belief that you will normally make the right one.
August 25, 2012
When did Autism become the mental illness du jour of moos everywhere? I am getting a little tired of this. I seriously wonder how many of these so called Autistics have ever been formally diagnosed. I think it is just some lazy moo's excuse not to discipline her shrieking crotch fruit.

Her kid doesn't deserve special treatment any more than I do. I have a fucked up toe that hurts if I stand for too long, do I ask for special treatment because of it? No, and I never would.

I understand that large crowds can make a truly Autistic child or adult have a complete meltdown. Why on earth would she subject her child to this kind of atmosphere?
August 25, 2012
Of course the woman who suggests that the man who didn't give up his place may have had a medical condition of his own, gets shot down. It's possible this man had IBS or overactive bladder or is prone to UTI's. The OP said if he'd described any of those situations she wouldn't have been mad. Common sense PNB mentions that some people don't choose to discuss medical issues with total strangers. Then they all go back to mooing and lowing about how evil the non-awtard accomodating world is.

One thing that killed me was all the moos who insisted that they themselves would always let kids go ahead of them in line, which I don't believe for a second. Most breeders are far too self centered to care about anyone but themselves.
August 25, 2012
I'm sure when the man in line woke up that morning, he was thinking, "Gee, I hope a total stranger will educate me about her son's autism today!" Fucking cows, thinking the world revolves around their little dead eyed, drooling, screaming mistake.

--------------------
"[GFG's pregnancy is] kind of like at the stables where that one dumb, ugly-ass mare broke out of her corral one day and got herself screwed by the equally fugly colt that was due to be gelded the same afternoon."- Shiny
August 25, 2012
i'm not buying this moo's story. first off, have you ever seen a line at the men's room in burger king? she makes it sound like they were lined up for a port-o-potty at a dave matthews concert. i'm guessing they caught the man just as he was headed into the bathroom and demanded to be let in first and he said no. and the man who supposedly did let them go ahead? he doesn't exist; moo made him up to underscore how mean the first man was for not bowing to her demand for special treatment. man #1 was the villian, because he wasn't paying attention to her autism claim, whereas man #2 was the hero because he did.

then she totally contradicts herself. first she says (bolding mine): "That a too-noisy room can shut down autistic people of any age. And that a cheerful pre-teen boy like Leo sometimes really can't wait to use the bathroom. " then she turns around and writes: "And even though we missed our scheduled tour, the very understanding staff put us on the very next ride. We still had a great time, riding amphibious vehicles all over our fair city and right into San Francisco Bay."

if any autistic person can get worked up and have a melt down in a too noisy room why the hell was she taking him on a duck tour? i mean, if she was worried about him standing in line what the hell was she going to do if the kid had to go tot he bathroom on the tour? or what if he had a gigantic meltdown (which i would think was all too likely)? i guess everyone on the boat would have had to put up with it for however long the tour lasted.

good thinking, moo. sarcastic clapping
August 25, 2012
I think that there is a limit on how much the world should bend to accomodate disabilities.

I am all for special parking place and slides for people who can make steps. Fine. I am ok, more than ok, in giving preference to disability. BUT as long as the disabled is doing everything to, you know, fit in.
I have know disabled people who did everything they could to get a job and to be indipendent. Including asparger or high spectrum autistic people. There is a very interesting book wrote by one of them, Daniel Tammet, Born on a Blue Day. I suggest it. Mr Tammet owns his house, has a job and is in a long, committed relationship, despise being Asparger.
But those weren't grew up by entitled person like this mother. They grew knowing that the world is an harsh place, and you have to sweat to fit in.

The chyldren brought up by entitleminded Autismoooooh will end up as either:

1. Feral, dangerous autard who will kill somebody or need to be put in institutions
2. Entitleminded Autardult, part of the "Autistic Culture" (:BS) who thinks that they are better than Neurotypical and bleats about how every single genius in history had been autistic (without any proof whatsoever, of course).

“I was talking about children that have not been properly house-trained. Left to their own impulses and indulged by doting or careless parents almost all children are yahoos. Loud, selfish, cruel, unaffectionate, jealous, perpetually striving for attention, empty-headed, for ever prating or if words fail them simply bawling, their voices grown huge from daily practice: the very worst company in the world. But what I dislike even more than the natural child is the affected child, the hulking oaf of seven or eight that skips heavily about with her hands dangling in front of her -- a little squirrel or bunny-rabbit -- and prattling away in a baby's voice.”

― Patrick O'Brian, The Truelove

lib'-er-ty: the freedom given to you to make the wrong decision, based on the reasoned belief that you will normally make the right one.
August 25, 2012
If this Moo's awtard is incapable of waiting in line to use the restroom, maybe she needs to put a diaper on him. Let him piss to his heart's content with a clueless smile on his face. Problem solved.
August 25, 2012
Had she done like has been suggested and asked, "PLEASE will you let us go ahead of you? We are running late and about to miss our boat?!", would have likely gotten her a desired result. I think most people would have allowed her to go ahead, providing THEY weren't about to shit on themselves or were late for that same boat. His being an Awtard as an excuse was irrelevant if there was no other reason given. I don't know why she didn't pull out the shit smearing card because had she exclaimed instead, "My son is an Awtard and if I don't get him in that bathroom NOW, he will have a meltdown and dig into his pants and start smearing shit!". That probably would have parted the line like with Moses and the Red Sea..

------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- -------
If YOU are the "exception" to what I am saying, then why does my commentary bother you so much?
I don't hate your kids, I HATE YOU!
August 25, 2012
I like the claim of how every genius in history was supposedly autistic or Aspie without any sort of proof other than the most tenuous (that is, using the vague symptoms that allow autism/Asperger diagnoses as opposed to the stricter standards used in the past).

More likely, the geniuses of the past had some form of mental illness (or in the cases of Poe and Tesla, outright stated).

------------------------------------------------------------
"Why children take so long to grow? They eat and drink like pig and give nothing back. Must find way to accelerate process..."
- Dr. Yi Suchong, Bioshock

"Society does not need more children; but it does need more loved children. Quite literally, we cannot afford unloved children - but we pay heavily for them every day. There should not be the slightest communal concern when a woman elects to destroy the life of her thousandth-of-an-ounce embryo. But all society should rise up in alarm when it hears that a baby that is not wanted is about to be born."
- Garrett Hardin

"I feel like there's a message involved here somehow, but then I couldn't stop laughing at all the plotholes, like the part when North Korea has food."
- Youtube commentor referring to a North Korean cartoon.

"Reality is a bitch when it slowly crawls out of your vagina and shits in your lap."
- Reddit comment

"Bitch wants a baby, so we're gonna fuck now. #bareback"
- Cambion

Oh whatever. Abortion doctors are crimestoppers."
- Miss Hannigan
August 25, 2012
I don't use public restrooms unless I have to. That usually means I am traveling or it's an emergency that either can't wait until I get home or where I am in the middle of errands and it's just not feasible to run home and run back out. It rarely happens, but when it does, I'm sorry but I'm not playing "my son has to go more than you do."

If you see me in line for a public bathroom, it's because I have an urgent need. I assume that is the case for most people in the line as well. So, unless it is a medical emergency, like IBS or something, no one's desire to piss is any more important that anyone else's. Get in line and wait like the rest of us.
August 25, 2012

It's possible this man had IBS or overactive bladder or is prone to UTI's. The OP said if he'd described any of those situations she wouldn't have been mad.

That man shouldn't have to explain anything to Mootard. It's none of Moo's business WHY someone needs to go ahead of her Royal MooTardness. I suppose the bitch felt entitled to know just exactly why the man wouldn't let her go ahead of him. Stupid Moo.
August 25, 2012
Since when is a trip to the public bathroom a teachable moment for anybody? If I'm in line for a bathroom I don't care what someone else's problem is they can learn to wait their turn like everyone else. They can also learn the meaning of the old saying first come first served. I also don't care if Autard the Wonder Boy is about to smear shit. His moo can learn a valuable lesson. Lack of planning on her part does not make an emergency on mine. If she wants a public bathroom to provide a teachable moment I'll give it to her.
August 25, 2012
She probably uses that excuse for grocery lines, lines at amusement parks, the queue at the welfare office, etc.

--------------------
"[GFG's pregnancy is] kind of like at the stables where that one dumb, ugly-ass mare broke out of her corral one day and got herself screwed by the equally fugly colt that was due to be gelded the same afternoon."- Shiny
Anonymous User
August 25, 2012
If all of these awtards have such weak bladders that they go from empty to pant-pissing in 2.3 seconds, then perhaps their moos should just keep those travelling/camping pee bottles in their bags, along with hand sanitizer. End of problem, right?
August 25, 2012
I occasionally have anxiety-related, um, issues. I have NEVER said, "Um, doood, I'm kind of having an anxiety-related shit-attack, and I need to get into that bathroom before my ass explodes all over creation. Yeah. Anxiety-related - you should totally understand, accept, and accommodate me, because if you don't, you're a h8r douche."

*smh*

It's your hell; you rot in it!
August 25, 2012
Unless autism affects the bladder (I checked and it appears that it doesn't) getting to cut in line is not "accommodation," it's special treatment. The truth is the bitch mom didn't feel like waiting so she tried using her kid's disability to get her way.
August 25, 2012
I think the maddest I've been in a bathroom line was when some moo and her son asked the person at the front of the line if her son could go first. I was second in line and could hear the sounds from the bathroom. And I got to distinctly hear the sound of the moo taking a piss in the men's bathroom since she went in with her son. My guess this is a similar incident. The line for the women's bathroom was too long and so she decided to use her son's "handicap" as an excuse to cut in line and go herself.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I walk the path of life to my own rhythm, my own beat-if you don't like it, step off and find your own damn song!
August 25, 2012
If the kid is autistic couldn't he just piss and crap anywhere he wants? Maybe a good thing he got to the bathroom, it would save the crew from having to clean up all the shit he spreads all over the boat.
August 26, 2012
KABA
I think the maddest I've been in a bathroom line was when some moo and her son asked the person at the front of the line if her son could go first. I was second in line and could hear the sounds from the bathroom. And I got to distinctly hear the sound of the moo taking a piss in the men's bathroom since she went in with her son. My guess this is a similar incident. The line for the women's bathroom was too long and so she decided to use her son's "handicap" as an excuse to cut in line and go herself.

It infuriates me when people think it is acceptable to go to the front of a line and ask to cut in, without getting agreement from everyone else in the line. If the person at the front of the line wants to trade places and go to the back of the line and let the interloper take the front, that's fine with me - but making the line longer without the consent of everyone in the line is in no way acceptable.
August 26, 2012
I'm an aspie with IBS + hyperactive bladder who rarely leaves the house so it is remotely possible for the kid to have all three conditions. If he did, mother would have been OUT OF HER FUCKING MIND to not have absorbent pants on the kid. There is medication to treat IBS and hyperactive bladder depending on the nature of your conditions, from high power pills (bladder) to simple fiber capsule laxatives (to tame the IBS). Even with the medication, boat rides wouldn't be on my agenda, nor aircraft flights.

To conclude, from personal experience, my bullshit meter is exploding.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
Anonymous User
August 28, 2012
Can you imagine the screaming that would entail if a Dad dared to take his Daughter into the Women's room. But this bitch takes her son into the Men's?
August 28, 2012
badgersqueaks
Can you imagine the screaming that would entail if a Dad dared to take his Daughter into the Women's room. But this bitch takes her son into the Men's?

I believe that there are public indecency laws that prohibit women entering the men's room, just as there are for men to enter a ladies' room. These women have no boundaries, and they should be charged with public indecency.
August 30, 2012
She wants bladder issues? I physically cannot hold it for longer than 10-15 minutes. Autism does not equal bladder problems. The shitling's nerves still function. Jesus H. Christ.
August 30, 2012
Seems to me that I recall some claims that some young children with autism develop bowel inflammation problems with the related fun times in the bathroom before autardism symptoms begin appearing in earnest. But this seems to be mainly from the Jenny McCarthy–allied crowd, so it's hard to say how seriously to take this. It isn't clear, either, assuming there is some truth to these claims, how the condition manifests itself as the autard gets older.

I'm not buying this myself, and not for a minute do I believe that the kid here should have been entitled to cut in line or go in front of another person to use the bathroom.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login