Advanced

Parents of deaf 3 year old brings in the herd for war

Posted by KABA 
Parents of deaf 3 year old brings in the herd for war
August 30, 2012
Uproar over boy's sign language name

Or if you want to save your own ears

Nebraska family, school at odds over deaf boy’s ‘gun-like’ sign language name

In a nut shell, this boy Hunter's sign language name that the parents decided to use looks like he's brandishing 2 guns, which the school supposedly said violates their weapon rules. So the parents (which is painful to hear or read how they talk) are all up in arms. Of course the school is getting hate mail, email, and even death threats. And low and behold big national names are preparing a law suit.

The school can't talk about this incident because of privacy laws, so the moo and duh have full voice so who knows what really happened.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I walk the path of life to my own rhythm, my own beat-if you don't like it, step off and find your own damn song!
Re: Parents of deaf 3 year old brings in the herd for war
August 30, 2012
Since we only have the stupid breeders' side of the story, and GOD are they stupid, it's difficult to form a credible opinion due to the limited info. The parents say school officials said he couldn't sign with the pointing gun gestures and the school officials say that is NOT policy and they have never done that before, but can't make a specific comment due to legal reasons. eye rolling smiley It sounds like to me they gave "Hunter" the deaf version of a Kre8tive name and PERHAPS someone might have said something negative about the nature in which it was signed, I am guessing. Then, predictably the breeders call a press conference and get the civil rights zealots involved.:BS

------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- -------
If YOU are the "exception" to what I am saying, then why does my commentary bother you so much?
I don't hate your kids, I HATE YOU!
August 30, 2012
I disagree with the parents teaching the kid SEE. ASL is its own language, and that kid is going to run into communication issues within his own community.

It's your hell; you rot in it!
August 31, 2012
*eyerolls* I wonder who is the stupidest, the school or the parents.

Are they going to force a child named Gunner to change his name as well?

On a side note, those extreme policies are ridicolous. Do they really think that playing cowboys and indians is morally wrong? *snikers*

“I was talking about children that have not been properly house-trained. Left to their own impulses and indulged by doting or careless parents almost all children are yahoos. Loud, selfish, cruel, unaffectionate, jealous, perpetually striving for attention, empty-headed, for ever prating or if words fail them simply bawling, their voices grown huge from daily practice: the very worst company in the world. But what I dislike even more than the natural child is the affected child, the hulking oaf of seven or eight that skips heavily about with her hands dangling in front of her -- a little squirrel or bunny-rabbit -- and prattling away in a baby's voice.”

― Patrick O'Brian, The Truelove

lib'-er-ty: the freedom given to you to make the wrong decision, based on the reasoned belief that you will normally make the right one.
I have a nephew named Hunter LOL! With a speech impediment and sociopathic tendencies. You know the evil children who are so obvious you can see this silly "scheming" look on their faces when they're winding up to push your buttons? Yup, this kid, all the time.

Also the sign for 'little' is two pointing gun fingers parallel moved toward each other. Look out! I'm gonna shoot you with my two guns cuz my nickname is Little!
(It's been decades since I had any larnin' in sign language, so I apologize if I got that wrong. Old memories.)
August 31, 2012
I don't know if the Breedersons have blown this all out of portion for some kind of drama/attention. But, if the school actually said that signing his name because it looks like a gun gesture, then this zero tolerance bs has gotten way out of hand.

It's one thing to have an actual weapon; a gun or a knife. It's something else entirely to call a finger or hand gesture a weapon. Ridiculous.
August 31, 2012
Nope. The school is being stupid here, name of deaf kid or not. Can't make a gun gesture, which is really just pointing with your thumb up? That's as stupid as my school telling people that they couldn't wear shirts with the letters "GNR," because the G stood for guns.
September 01, 2012
Hunter is not unusual for a name.

School policies make me fucking stabby. The focus on vilifying normal behavior is ridiculous. Hint: the kid painting the papier-mâché dog black, pointing his fingers like a gin or drawing Jesus are NOT the kids that are gonna go off-and most certainly not in kindergarten or first grade (in the two references I mentioned-one was a child making a papier-mâché dog and was painting it black because he had a black dog as a pet. In the second, a child was suspended because he came from a religious family and had seen an image of Jesus on the crucifiix, so when the teacher asked about what the kids thought of for the holiday, he drew the image of Jesus that most impressed him.). Self esteem is a precious and delicate thing if you listen to teachers and administrators, but not when something runs afoul to their politically correct, Maoist viewpoints and policies.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login