Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Begging

Posted by cfchevygirl 
Begging
October 17, 2012
So, I made a quick stop for fast food tonight, because I just didn't feel like cooking. FF is a rarity for me, not only because it's not healthy, but also because I don't like to waste my income.

As I said not too long ago, I had a drop in income due to my old job being eliminated, and I've had to take what I can get until the economy improves. As such, I drive a 10-year-old car and I live with a roommate.

I actually have a gift card to Wendy's as well as some coupons, so I thought I would just make a quick stop on the way home. All in all, my meal cost 4 dollars.

As I'm leaving Wendy's, right there at the stop sign and adjacent to Home Depot is a beggar. No, actually a famblee of beggars. They've got the corner staked out, right at the stop sign, and it's duh with three kyds. He's holding a sign that says "Please Help. Lost My Job and I Have 3 Kyds".

Duh is nicely dressed, as are the kyds. I suppose it's possible that it was legit; although many beggars around here seem to earn a better living than I do with regards to weekly income.

I do occasionally give to people who seem to be homeless. But, I can't afford to give to everyone, and I am being thrifty with my own money for a "rainy day", like I just had last month with expensive car repairs.

I guess I was supposed to not turn them down or feel guilty because he brought his gaggle of kyds along with him. All I could think was, you have a safety net, it's called Welfare and Food Stamps, which is something that someone like me cannot get.

If I was to lose my job and become homeless, who is going to help me? My family is about it; but there is no government handout for me. And I bet if the roles were reversed, Duh would think oh well, you don't have any kyds, so it's not as bad.

I am a charitable person, but I was really put off by that display.
Re: Begging
October 17, 2012
You have every right to be put off like that. If you feel like being charitable but you dont want to give money, give them the address to the nearest shelter. That will get them food.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
So.. We know that food and water are running out, with overpopulation and all... Yet people keep on poppin' out those babies! I guess they want to have their baby and eat it too...

My top reason is that parenting gives you a free license to be selfish based purely on the fact that you're being selfish for an emanation of your own self. The illusion that what you do to benefit your children benefits them solely is a fallacy. Every parent benefits from the benefits that their children receive. Henceforth, it gives one a license to perpetuate a dog-eat-dog mentality that I perceive to be amoral. Parents say that their children are their greatest loves, what they forget to add is that they are their ONLY loves and only because their children are a reflection of themselves. I prefer to be able to love multiple people and have lasting relationships of many types and possess the essential core value of empathy for all than to restrict myself to an echo chamber of ego-masturbation and self-serving chicanery.

In short: Not parenting makes you a better person.
Re: Begging
October 18, 2012
It's getting to be "That Time Of The Year" again -

Just wait until I start ranting on the Salvation Army "Bell Ringers" angry smiley

People who need help I don't mind. If it is sincere.

The rest of them?

I have a Physics degree and I may put it to use one of these days ~
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login