Advanced

Pregnancy Assumptions

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
Pregnancy Assumptions
January 05, 2013
Assumptions about women and pregnancy

259 voters participated in this survey

1. Do you think it is appropriate to assume a woman has children? Yes | 8.11% | 21 votes

No | 76.45% | 198 votes

Undecided | 15.44% | 40 votes

if yes, why? it might hurt their feelings some don't na

2. Do you think it is appropriate to tell people they are making a bad choice by not having children? Yes | 11.20% | 29 votes

No | 88.80% | 230 votes

3. Do you think it is appropriate for a pregnant woman to be considered disabled? yes, and elderly and people with physical disabilities should also give them the right away in buses, special parking spots, store lines, disabled change rooms etc | 11.97% | 31 votes

no, it was their choice to get pregnant | 64.09% | 166 votes

yes, however elderly and truly disabled people take priority | 22.01% | 57 votes

Other (please specify) | 5.41% | 14 votes

4. Do you think it is appropriate to marry someone assuming that they'll change their mind on their stance about children? Yes | 5.79% | 15 votes

No | 94.21% | 244 votes

if yes, why? never marry someone hoping something will change. cause i'd do that you can't assume that.

5. Do you think it is appropriate that gynecologists can deny sterilization procedures because they assume a woman doesn't know what she wants or is too young to decide, even if she is in her 30-40s? Yes | 13.13% | 34 votes

No | 86.87% | 225 votes

if yes, do you have children/want them? i have one and trying for another have them already na

6. Do you think it is appropriate for co-workers/friends to assume females are pregnant if they gained weight, feel sick(flu symptoms) etc and spread rumors of an assumed pregnancy? Yes | 8.88% | 23 votes

No | 76.83% | 199 votes

Undecided | 14.29% | 37 votes

7. Do you think it is appropriate to assume all women are pre-pregnant(all sexual orientations) and expect them to take vitamins/etc such as folic acids? Yes | 8.88% | 23 votes

No | 72.20% | 187 votes

Undecided | 18.92% | 49 votes

8. Do you think it is appropriate for doctors to assume all women are pregnant and force pregnancy tests before many procedures even if the woman is sterile, had a hysterectomy, post menopausal, etc? Yes | 14.67% | 38 votes

No | 64.86% | 168 votes

Undecided | 20.46% | 53 votes

9. Do you think it is appropriate to assume those without children are immature and have an easy life? Yes | 8.11% | 21 votes

No | 91.89% | 238 votes

So I made a survey....thought I'd share the results....I did do a previous survey on the same site for reference
1,160 voters participated in this survey

1. Which of the following do you identify yourself as? Childfree by choice- NEVER going to have children regardless of what happens in the future | 13.88% | 161 votes

Childless- want children at some point in life, do not have children yet | 15.00% | 174 votes

On the fence- uncertain whether or not you want children | 7.93% | 92 votes

Parent-you have biological children | 52.24% | 606 votes

Adoptive parent- you have adopted children | 2.50% | 29 votes

Step parent- you are married to someone with children | 4.66% | 54 votes

Other (please specify) | 3.79% | 44 votes

If you have/are planning to have children, what is your opinion on childfree people who choose to never have children? (optional) d i feel that parenting isn't for everyone. it's their decision. i am childfree because i have genetic disorders that i don't want to pass on to my kids. i would like to adopt or at least foster kids in the future

So expect some error in the numbers since there are people like this childless person who thinks she's childfree. The replies to questions in non yes/no % are ones taken from the replies in the survey
Anonymous User
Re: Pregnancy Assumptions
January 05, 2013
I probably should've specified, never going to have children by "any means"(adoption etc) oh well
Anonymous User
January 05, 2013
I just wanna mention #8, which I'm sure a lot of CF might resent...

But really, I'm glad they do that. It's not JUST because some treatments can hurt a fetus. It's also because some treatments don't work as well when you're inpig. Or worse, they can actually cause medical complications for you. So knowing that is actually very important to making sure your treatment works, and works smoothly.

It takes 2 minutes for them to do the test, and nothing's 100% fail-safe. Not even my tubal. So I say, test away.
January 05, 2013
lilin_unite
I just wanna mention #8, which I'm sure a lot of CF might resent...

But really, I'm glad they do that. It's not JUST because some treatments can hurt a fetus. It's also because some treatments don't work as well when you're inpig. Or worse, they can actually cause medical complications for you. So knowing that is actually very important to making sure your treatment works, and works smoothly.

It takes 2 minutes for them to do the test, and nothing's 100% fail-safe. Not even my tubal. So I say, test away.

Oh, I feel the same way and I'm a lifelong celibate. XD
January 05, 2013
I still feel there are issues.
The costs of the pregnancy tests are sometimes passed on to the patient.
Also, some of the attitudes that we encounter about the baby-bearing parts being the most important aspect of ourselves are insulting and sometimes dangerous.
January 05, 2013
cassia
Also, some of the attitudes that we encounter about the baby-bearing parts being the most important aspect of ourselves are insulting and sometimes dangerous.

Oh, you're correct on those aspects. If we could fix those issues, we'd be good to go.
Anonymous User
January 05, 2013
JayJay
cassia

Oh, you're correct on those aspects. If we could fix those issues, we'd be good to go.

Yeah, and I think that's fairly easy to fix. All you have to do is tell the patient why you would be performing the test and give them the choice.

For me, I want the test if being inpig could make treatment ineffective, or dangerous for ME. However, I don't give a crap if it's dangerous for a fetus. In that case, I'll skip the test and take one if I feel it's necessary.
January 05, 2013
lilin_unite
JayJay
cassia

Yeah, and I think that's fairly easy to fix. All you have to do is tell the patient why you would be performing the test and give them the choice.

Good ideas. grinning smiley
January 05, 2013
Is the purple text your commentary?

----------
michaela

"A child will make two dishes at an entertainment for friends, and when the family dines alone, the fore or hind quarter will make a reasonable dish, and seasoned with a little pepper or salt, will be very good boiled on the fourth day, especially in winter." -Jonathan Swift, A Modest Proposal
Anonymous User
January 06, 2013
Purple text was people replies to questions where they had the option to write their opinion. In regards to pregnancy tests prior to procedures, I can understand if it affects treatment however things like X-ray for example, they can harm a fetus but still work fine on a pregnant woman. In Canada they fortunately only do pregnancy tests if you're unsure or if you are having surgery or something. Otherwise we are asked politely and they trust us to answer truthfully, which is much better in my opinion than how a lot of Americans are treated, one woman on this forum had a hysterectomy 10yrs prior, was in her 50s and she explained this yet they still charged her for 2 pregnancy tests. In my opinion, for minor things where pregnancy might cause an issue, they should ask politely, if they doubt your answer, they should explain the problems pregnancy might cause and allow you to choose whether to take the test, if you don't and you're pregnant and something goes wrong, your fault....I'm too tired to think properly, I apologize if I confused anyone, I wrote up that survey really quickly so its not perfect. For less minor things then tests are fine. I've gone in for a horrible headache, which I explained was due to my genetic disorder(I had no pain medications that I metabolized properly) and they tested to see if I was pregnant, I had no pregnancy type symptoms, told them I was using a nuva ring etc

On an unrelated note, I had to have a pre-op pregnancy test(although the surgery was cancelled), it was in the building where they do abortions and I got glared at and nearly yelled at by many pro-life picketters on a side note, it was very amusing, they all looked like wannamoo/wannaduh ivf'ers, they were using the baby backpacks and strollers with plastic babies with stupid signs like "all life is special" oh really? Maybe you shouldn't have ate that lettuce its life was special etc....too tired to make sense. I stayed by the front door since there were noisy brats in the waiting area and I was getting borderline anxiety attack so I got to experience a lot of funny looking glares for about 45mins

I hope I didn't confuse you guys more, I haven't been feeling great so I haven't been thinking as clearly
January 08, 2013
lilin_unite
JayJay
cassia

For me, I want the test if being inpig could make treatment ineffective, or dangerous for ME. However, I don't give a crap if it's dangerous for a fetus. In that case, I'll skip the test and take one if I feel it's necessary.

That's my view as well. Of course I want pregnancy to be taken into consideration even if it is unlikely that I am pregnant, if the symptoms I'm showing are consistent with pregnancy, or if it could harm me if the procedure is performed when I am pregnant. But I want the right to say, "No, thank you" when it comes to taking a test for the benefit of a hypothetical fetus and not me.

The last time I was forced to take a pregnancy test (I would not get the treatment without taking the test), I asked if performing the procedure while I was pregnant would affect me negatively. The answer was no, but they still made me take the fucking thing, claiming it would be unethical otherwise. There was a big flaw in the logic, since they could be quite sure I would have an abortion if I were pregnant, and they were not opposed to abortion, but this did not sway them.
Anonymous User
January 09, 2013
yurble
lilin_unite
JayJay
cassia

That's my view as well. Of course I want pregnancy to be taken into consideration even if it is unlikely that I am pregnant, if the symptoms I'm showing are consistent with pregnancy, or if it could harm me if the procedure is performed when I am pregnant. But I want the right to say, "No, thank you" when it comes to taking a test for the benefit of a hypothetical fetus and not me.

The last time I was forced to take a pregnancy test (I would not get the treatment without taking the test), I asked if performing the procedure while I was pregnant would affect me negatively. The answer was no, but they still made me take the fucking thing, claiming it would be unethical otherwise. There was a big flaw in the logic, since they could be quite sure I would have an abortion if I were pregnant, and they were not opposed to abortion, but this did not sway them.

I've never understood that. It's like how they swab the person's arm before giving them a lethal injection, you know, to prevent that last-second infection. What difference does it make?

What, do they want the fetus to be in peak condition before we abort it?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login