Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Another day, another fire, another four kids dead

Posted by spinstar 
Another day, another fire, another four kids dead
January 10, 2013
A woman and her mother were living with five kids under 10 (including a 7-month old) in a two-story duplex. Huge fire breaks out during the night and four of the five kids die.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/4-children-killed-conyers-fire/nTqsk/

http://www.11alive.com/news/article/271632/40/4-children-die-in-Conyers-fire

"Investigators said when she was alerted to the fire, Reba Glass threw her 6-year-old son Darnell Jr.out a second-story window then jumped out herself.

She then ran back inside and rescued her mother asleep downstairs
."

It's bad enough that people don't think "What if I lose my job or get sick, hurt or disabled?" before they go having enough kids to start a basketball team, don't they at least think about how hard it's going to be to get that many kids out of a house in an emergency?

One of the local papers mentioned in a story the other day that the kids had two different fathers, but that neither of them lived in the house. I don't know what this woman's situation was or where the fathers were, but WHY have more kids when you already have two or three and you're not sure if the man is going to stay around? If he leaves, you're going to be stuck taking care of that many more kids by yourself!

It also sounds like the authorities are a little suspicious because the fire started upstairs, in or next to a bathroom. Of course it could have been one of those built-in 1970s wall heaters in the bathroom that started it, who knows?

And, of course "...there was no evidence that the house was equipped with smoke detectors."

I was talking about this with three other women at lunch today. I was really surprised when one of the other women (who also doesn't have kids) said "I hate to say it, but maybe she was trying to get rid of some of those kids." It does make you wonder why she didn't drop the four older ones out, then throw the baby out to one of them or jump out while holding it herself.

The other two women, who both have kids, both said "Oh, no, no one would do that" and were talking about how if they had to choose, they'd definitely let their mother die in a fire and save their kids.

I don't know. No one thinks clearly while the house is burning down around them, but that's yet another reason not to have so many kids.

Even if the fire is found to truly be an accident, I wonder if the mom, grandmother or either of the fathers is going to be prosecuted for letting five children live in a two-story house with no smoke detectors, fire extinguisher or escape ladders.
Re: Another day, another fire, another four kids dead
January 10, 2013
I was thinking of something sim, reading the thread about the fire deaths in the trailer.

We had another one the other day, what they do here is - squat in abandoned apartment buildings. They either try to patch into the outside electric and use space heaters, or use candles and may even start small bon fires right *in* the apartments.

You can guess the results.

The one criminal - who escaped from the fed. prison down town (Chi) by rappelling down the side of the building - he was caught in an apartment building supposedly living in the basement. In fact that is how he was caught - a resident spotted him and alerted authorities.

This happens alot - squatters camping out in basements, you have to watch that if you live in such a building. Which are very common - 3.5 storey buildings or a "4 storey walk up w/ English Basement". Because here - 4 stories and up require an elevator so it was very common to make buildings this way, you can get in the 4 storeys without needing an elevator, that's why they're built that way. I believe sim ideas or building codes can be found in other urban areas, the Boroughs of NYC are full of these type of buildings too, sim can be found all over the world really, and the basements (if not made into apt's) are often left open and unlocked.

Wherever you live, if you are in an apt. or condo building with a basement - make sure it is secure and completely locked. Those basements - are prime real estate for the homeless.
January 10, 2013
spinstar
Even if the fire is found to truly be an accident, I wonder if the mom, grandmother or either of the fathers is going to be prosecuted for letting five children live in a two-story house with no smoke detectors, fire extinguisher or escape ladders.

This has hit one of my pet peeves.
People who have multiple sources of income (in this case likely welfare, child-support, WIC, old age pension, etc), lots of people living in that home and years to prepare, but have no emergency planning and no basic safety equipment.

A smoke alarm costs $10 to FREE and lasts 10 years. Would it worth the lives of 5 family members to get one or two?

In my case, due to a very low single income, it took lots of budgeting, bargain-hunting and planning over years, to get my basic safety equipment.
I try to budget about $3-5 per month, alternating between saving for purchases for safety and purchases for energy -saving.

My 1 1/2 story home that I just moved into in September now has:

- 2 industrial-sized first aid kits ( cheap at yard sales, and easy to upgrade) ( appropriately located for best use)
- 1 portable ( car-sized) first aid kit ( cheap at yard sales) ( appropriately located for best use)
- 1 mini-first aid kit ( made it myself)
- 2 ABC fire extinguishers ( appropriately located for best use) ( waited for a great retail sale)
- 4 carbon monoxide detectors ( all appropriately located for best use) (2 plug in, 2 battery)( waited for a great retail sales, bought 1/year)
- 7 smoke detectors ( all appropriately located for best use, every level of home, outside each bedroom, etc)( waited for a great retail sales, bought 1/year)

I am working on new emergency contact lists for the new home.

Another project is how researching to make or afford appropriate emergency ladders for the second story rooms.
(This home is the first ever in 49 years that I have lived in that has a second story)

My boyfriend, who stays at my home 2-4 days per month has been shown where the fire extinguishers and first aid kits are, and we have discussed a rough emergency plan in case of fire.

I am very frustrated that many families are so woefully unprepared for the reality of a fire ( and other emergencies) in their home.
January 10, 2013
So surprised:

"Investigators confirm to Channel 2 Action News there was not a single working smoke detector inside the home where four children died in a fire, but they have not determined what started the blaze.

"We know that upstairs, there's no evidence of a smoke detector," said Rockdale County Fire and Rescue spokesman Michael Morris. "We did find one downstairs, however, it was inoperable."

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/no-working-smoke-detectors-deadly-fire/nTsHt/

There are places to get FREE smoke detectors here if you can't afford one. So ridiculous.
January 10, 2013
A new twist on post-natal abortion.

~~~~~~~~~~~
I miss my little feather baby.
January 11, 2013
spinstar
There are places to get FREE smoke detectors here if you can't afford one. So ridiculous.

This. I believe you can see your local fire department who will hook you up.

Ironically enough, watch it be started with cigarettes. We are too poor to have basic survival gear but can still get our smokes...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
From a bottle cap message on a Magic Hat #9 beer: Condoms Prevent Minivans
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I want to pick up a bus full of unruly kids and feed them gummi bears and crack, then turn them loose in Hobby Lobby to ransack the place. They will all be wearing T shirts that say "You Could Have Prevented This."
navi8orgirl
spinstar

This. I believe you can see your local fire department who will hook you up.

Ironically enough, watch it be started with cigarettes. We are too poor to have basic survival gear but can still get our smokes...

I've seen people forego food for smokes. Whatever gets you through the day, as long as you're not killing anyone besides yourself. Oh, wait...
January 12, 2013
OK, I did not see that coming.

The one kid who didn't die in the fire is the one who started it:

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/local/officials-6-year-old-started-fire-that-killed-4-si/nTtHH/

But, no one's going to face any charges for the lack of working smoke detectors.

"Dwayne Garriss, state fire marshal, said it is state law that smoke detectors must be placed outside any sleeping area. However, he said the landlord will face no liability, because the law carries no penalties for a first offense. It provides a $25 fine for a second offense."

What is the point of a law if there is literally no penalty for breaking it?!
January 13, 2013
spinstar
... if they had to choose, they'd definitely let their mother die in a fire and save their kids.

Well, that ends the whole "Who'll take care of you when you're old?" bingo. So much for a loaf's unconditional love.

--------------------
"[GFG's pregnancy is] kind of like at the stables where that one dumb, ugly-ass mare broke out of her corral one day and got herself screwed by the equally fugly colt that was due to be gelded the same afternoon."- Shiny
January 13, 2013
spinstar
OK, I did not see that coming.

The one kid who didn't die in the fire is the one who started it:

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/local/officials-6-year-old-started-fire-that-killed-4-si/nTtHH/

But, no one's going to face any charges for the lack of working smoke detectors.

"Dwayne Garriss, state fire marshal, said it is state law that smoke detectors must be placed outside any sleeping area. However, he said the landlord will face no liability, because the law carries no penalties for a first offense. It provides a $25 fine for a second offense."

What is the point of a law if there is literally no penalty for breaking it?!

When four people die due to a disregard for state law, I think punishment is advised, first offense or no.

------------------------------------------------------------
"Why children take so long to grow? They eat and drink like pig and give nothing back. Must find way to accelerate process..."
- Dr. Yi Suchong, Bioshock

"Society does not need more children; but it does need more loved children. Quite literally, we cannot afford unloved children - but we pay heavily for them every day. There should not be the slightest communal concern when a woman elects to destroy the life of her thousandth-of-an-ounce embryo. But all society should rise up in alarm when it hears that a baby that is not wanted is about to be born."
- Garrett Hardin

"I feel like there's a message involved here somehow, but then I couldn't stop laughing at all the plotholes, like the part when North Korea has food."
- Youtube commentor referring to a North Korean cartoon.

"Reality is a bitch when it slowly crawls out of your vagina and shits in your lap."
- Reddit comment

"Bitch wants a baby, so we're gonna fuck now. #bareback"
- Cambion

Oh whatever. Abortion doctors are crimestoppers."
- Miss Hannigan
January 13, 2013
Miss_Hannigan
spinstar
... if they had to choose, they'd definitely let their mother die in a fire and save their kids.

Well, that ends the whole "Who'll take care of you when you're old?" bingo. So much for a loaf's unconditional love.

"Who's going to take care of you when you're old...assuming they don't have something more important to do and don't choose someone's life over yours in an emergency and it doesn't cost them any money or inconvenience them?"
January 13, 2013
"Killed in the blaze were 9-year-old Ah’Dariya, 7-year-old Dar’Shawn, 3-year-old Armoni and 8-month-old Deon"

Mr. T: I pitty tha fools Those names...
January 13, 2013
Every winter here in Kentucky we have entire extended famblees wiped out due to the inhalation of carbon monoxide caused by using bbq grills, with charcoal, as indoor sources of heat. That, and just about as many die from improperly vented propane or kerosene heaters when they aren't burning down match box apartment dwellings and dilapidated trailers with meth lab explosions. If there's an explosion of a single family dwelling in my area, you can bank on it that it was drug related.

------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- -------
If YOU are the "exception" to what I am saying, then why does my commentary bother you so much?
I don't hate your kids, I HATE YOU!
January 13, 2013
http://www.kentucky.com/2013/01/09/2469526/coroner-5-dead-in-overnight-fire.html#storylink=botprev

This is a prime example of the typical living conditions and hill billy environments I am trying to describe all the time that routinely occur in my state, with my comments in red:

Bodies of father, four children recovered in Pike County house fire
Published: January 9, 2013

"It's heartbreaking," said Darrell Compton, chief of the Shelby Valley Volunteer Fire Department, as he surveyed the ruins of the house where Billy Wilfong and his four children — Dakota, 5; Tyler, 4; Cheyenne, 2; and Emily, 6 months — died early Wednesday in the community of Jonancy. Yes, it IS sad, but you can lay odds on it the fire was caused by a faulty or inadequate heat source. They are too poor to afford an ADEQUATE home and the ability to properly heat it, yet they have FOUR kids under the age of five, including a baby. Every single winter, impoverished families in Kentucky DIE because of this totally preventable cause; TOO many kids, not enough money, and inadequate housing and/or heat sources. The answer is NOT the government buying them a home and heating it properly, it is STOP HAVING KIDS YOU CAN'T AFFORD.:headbrick

JONANCY — The bodies of a father and his four young children were found Wednesday in the living room of a house that burned overnight in Eastern Kentucky, the Pike County coroner said. You can bet they were ALL in one room because they only had ONE SOURCE of heat and it was probably not being used as it was intended, BANK on it!shrug

To the best of their recollection, investigators said it was the worst fire in Pike County and among the worst in the state. The blaze destroyed the house on Elswick Branch Road in Jonancy, where the family had lived since at least 2008. A chimney rose from the rubble. Roberts said the blaze caused more fatalities than any fire he could remember since 1985. He said all five victims were found together in the living room. "The father and the four kids were in the same room. Evidently, they had been sleeping on pallets on the floor, probably in one room to stay warm," Roberts said. "It looks like the dad had the baby in his arms, trying to get out with it. PRECISELY what I thought. That's what ALWAYS happens, always.eye rolling smiley

"Tragedies like this, it gets to where it does bother you. Any time you lose children in a house fire like this, it gets emotional." It SHOULD bother people when ANYONE is needlessly killed in a fire!eye rolling smiley

Roberts said the fire began about 2:30 a.m. Wednesday.James Tucker, Tammie's father, told the Herald-Leader that everything was fine at the house when he was last there, about 6 or 7 p.m. Tuesday. That's an asinine comment. Things are always "fine" 8 or 10 hours before they catch fire! I fail to see how the house not being on fire at 6pm has ANYTHING to do with it becoming a blazing inferno at 2am.shrug

James Tucker, 54, said he went to his neighboring mobile home several hundred feet away and went to bed at 11 p.m. He woke to find Tammie beating on the window and shouting, "Help me, Daddy! Help me!" Further depicting the HillBilly South Fork type of famblee trailer communities I am always describing. I am NOT making this shit up. In fact, you can see another famblee single wide trailer in the photo parked just barely beyond the smoking rubble of what was probably a dilapidated farm house built in the 1920's and an example of termites holding hands. :smn

"I looked out the window and saw the whole house lit up," James Tucker said.His daughter was severely burned, and when she poured cold water over her hand "the skin just started rolling off her hand," he said. James Tucker said he ran up the hill and tried to enter the blazing house for a rescue, "but there was no way I could get in there to help."
A relative who lives nearby told The Associated Press that she woke up to find the house engulfed in flames. Probably an aunt or cousin parked on Pee Paw's land too.shrug

Glema Blair, the children's great-aunt, who lives behind the home, ran to the house but it was too hot to go inside. SEE what I mean? It's a damned wonder that fire didn't spread and take the whole clan out. Thus far, we have heard from daddy, a great aunt, and a "relative" and that was likely only the tip of the iceburg of "neighboring" famblee members. They ALWAYS park their trailers or live in ramshackle dwellings on Pee Paws acre, always. It's a tradition here in Kentucky and even the wealthier ones will all build homes on the same neighboring land.Hell, my sister in law lives on the neighboring 15 acres next to my 15 acres, her inlaws live on 100 acres next to hers and their homes are about 200 feet apart, MY inlaws live 2 miles down the road on several hundred acres with Mee Maw and Pee Paw, two aunts, an uncle, and a cousin ALL living on adjoining property. It's just what they do. confused smiley

"There was nothing I could do. I got second-degree burns just getting close to it," Blair said.

Jasmine Tucker, Tammie Tucker's sister, said she heard from relatives who were at the hospital with her sister Wednesday afternoon. They told her Tammie Tucker was "going to be OK.""The smoke didn't get to her lungs," Jasmine Tucker said. She said Tammie Tucker suffered burns on her hands and face.Investigators with Kentucky State Police and the state fire marshal's office combed through the charred remnants of the house Wednesday afternoon. Earlier Wednesday, Doug Tackett, Pike County emergency services coordinator, said hot spots remained throughout the house. No doubt and they had better put the fire out all the way because you can bank on it those other trailers and dilapidated houses will catch fire quite easily too if just ONE good sized spark floats over on the wind.eye rolling smiley

Investigators had not determined a cause, but the fire marshal's office was investigating the possibility that the fire began in a space heater, Roberts said. Tucker said the family used an electric heater to keep warm. And it probably wasn't used in the manner which it was intended either. I have known them to saw off third prongs on the electrical cord in order for it to fit into outlets it wasn't designed to fit in, close them up in areas where they are supposed to be ventilated, break the max safety settings so they won't automatically cut off, among many OTHER unsafe things.:headbrick

No officials could recall a similar deadly blaze in Kentucky since 10 people, including six children, were killed in a house fire in Bardstown in February 2007. I recall that and the circumstances were about the same;Poor hillbillies, too many kids, and unsafe use of heating sources.confused smiley

Tackett said three fire departments responded to Wednesday's fire.

The death toll shook even hardened emergency-response veterans, including Darrell Compton, who has been chief of the Shelby Valley Volunteer Fire Department for 22 years."I've worked some fires before with fatalities, but this is the worst, simply because of the number and because kids are involved," Compton said. "It's heartbreaking." Yes, it's always sad when kids are involved, we know.sarcastic clapping

Another neighbor, Evelyn Mullins, told the AP that the deadly fire shocked the small community of Jonancy, which is nestled in Kentucky's eastern coalfields.

County Judge-Executive spokesman Brandon Roberts told the AP that there had been no similar fatal fires in the county in recent years. "I can't remember a whole family perishing in a fire in my lifetime," Roberts said. "It's just, oh God." Blair said Tucker lived in the house with Wilfong, the children's father. The two weren't married but had been together for about seven years, she said. Of COURSE they weren't married! Had they gotten married before having all those kids, she wouldn't qualify tor WIC-SNAP, and Medicaid! SO FUCKING TYPICAL.angrily flogging with a whip

She said that she watched the kids often and that they loved to play outside and watch TV together."They were good kids; you couldn't ask for no better," Blair said.eye rolling smiley

Tyler loved to play with toy monster trucks, Jasmine Tucker said. And Dakota liked toy robots, she said.Cheyenne "was a little tomboy," said Tucker. "She tried her best to do anything the boys would do."Kim Weddington, a guidance counselor at Valley Elementary School where Dakota and Tyler attended classes, remembered the boys as "fun and outgoing, and they loved to be outside." Yeah, we know, they all lit up the room with their smiles and whatnot. Seriously, what kids DON'T like to play, watch tv, and be fun loving and all that?confused smiley

Weddington brought a wreath with four blue balloons — one for each child — to the scene Wednesday afternoon.

"It's the least we can do," she said. "Our hearts are with them." Perhaps the Moo who survived will get spayed and avoid a repeat of this type of thing in the future.confused smiley

------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- -------
If YOU are the "exception" to what I am saying, then why does my commentary bother you so much?
I don't hate your kids, I HATE YOU!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login