Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

NYC has a prevent teen pregnancy campagin - Salon has a hissy fit

Posted by thom_c 
NYC has a prevent teen pregnancy campagin - Salon has a hissy fit
March 06, 2013
http://www.salon.com/2013/03/05/nyc_uses_shame_petty_insults_in_new_teen_pregnancy_campaign/

NYC uses shame, petty insults in new teen pregnancy campaign
But city officials have been mum on the impact of the campaign that really helps -- bringing Plan B to city schools
By Katie Mcdonough

The New York Human Resources Administration launched a a new ad campagin this week that uses “straight talk” in an effort to prevent teen pregnancy. The ads feature images of sad-looking children alongside messages like “Honestly, Mom … Chances are he won’t stay with you. What happens to me?” and “I’m twice as likely not to graduate high school because you had me as a teen.”

rest at link

Presenting the realities is not shaming or resorting to petty insults. Having a kid at 16 isn't going to result in a happy, shiny, Gilmore Girls-type world (for those who didn't watch the show, the mother had her daughter at 16). In all likelihood, the father isn't going to stick around, the child will grow up in poverty and drop out of school and possibly become a teen parent, the teen mom will not finish school or go to college, will not be able to get any decent job and will have to go on welfare, etc.

Teen pregnancy needs to return to the days where it was a shameful thing. Nowadays, people want to think that everything will be rainbows and unicorn farts when you have a kid as a teenager and cover their ears, shut their eyes, and scream loudly when somebody tries to point out the truth.

------------------------------------------------------------
"Why children take so long to grow? They eat and drink like pig and give nothing back. Must find way to accelerate process..."
- Dr. Yi Suchong, Bioshock

"Society does not need more children; but it does need more loved children. Quite literally, we cannot afford unloved children - but we pay heavily for them every day. There should not be the slightest communal concern when a woman elects to destroy the life of her thousandth-of-an-ounce embryo. But all society should rise up in alarm when it hears that a baby that is not wanted is about to be born."
- Garrett Hardin

"I feel like there's a message involved here somehow, but then I couldn't stop laughing at all the plotholes, like the part when North Korea has food."
- Youtube commentor referring to a North Korean cartoon.

"Reality is a bitch when it slowly crawls out of your vagina and shits in your lap."
- Reddit comment

"Bitch wants a baby, so we're gonna fuck now. #bareback"
- Cambion

Oh whatever. Abortion doctors are crimestoppers."
- Miss Hannigan
Someone I knew in high school had a baby when she was 14.

Now, she's 40, been through 3 men and has 5 kids. The last I heard, she was renting a house with her Mom and the latest baby daddy. The kid that she had when she was 14 ended up being a worthless POS.

When I was having sex at 17, 18, etc. I was PARANOID about being pregnant. I was terrified what my mother would say. Kids have no fear today - not of their parents, not teachers, not anyone. I'm not saying that kids should be raised in a state of total fear, but our attitudes towards kids today is so permissive that anything goes.
Lemme guess - they presented the harsh, sucktastic reality of teen 'parent'hood and the fact that ALL the options now available involve someone else paying for your f*ck-up?

If you get knocked up in todays society with birth control available at fricking gas stations, you d@mn well deserve shame for being lazy and stupid even if morals aren't a consideration. This is not the bloody 1950s where we all live in small towns and there's no lawyers if the store owner won't sell condoms to an unmarried teenager.

And since I (and everyone else here) is paying for the existence of both the teen-incubator and her unwanted bratling, 'petty insults' are the least of what I'd like to do. Defund your a$$es from any sort of welfare, more like!
Re: NYC has a prevent teen pregnancy campagin - Salon has a hissy fit
March 07, 2013
The only thing I see wrong with it is that it doesn't include naked shots of corpulent, purple stretch marked, sagging, post pig bellies, taffy pull udders, and ravaged cooters.drinking coffee

------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- -------
If YOU are the "exception" to what I am saying, then why does my commentary bother you so much?
I don't hate your kids, I HATE YOU!
March 07, 2013
Truths have sharp edges, and political corrects is exagerating a little.

Teenpregnancy is an IDIOT THING TO DO. Period.

“I was talking about children that have not been properly house-trained. Left to their own impulses and indulged by doting or careless parents almost all children are yahoos. Loud, selfish, cruel, unaffectionate, jealous, perpetually striving for attention, empty-headed, for ever prating or if words fail them simply bawling, their voices grown huge from daily practice: the very worst company in the world. But what I dislike even more than the natural child is the affected child, the hulking oaf of seven or eight that skips heavily about with her hands dangling in front of her -- a little squirrel or bunny-rabbit -- and prattling away in a baby's voice.”

― Patrick O'Brian, The Truelove

lib'-er-ty: the freedom given to you to make the wrong decision, based on the reasoned belief that you will normally make the right one.
They have to get harsh...they all think that they will be MTV's next Teen Mom making a quarter million a year. Most of them won't make a quarter of 10000, and will be sucking the welfare tit. (I often said MIV's Real World should have been seven stuck on themselves, unemployed gadabouts living in a trailer in rural West Virginia. Fuck the Hollywood penthouse shit, you can't afford that as a PT barista.)

I did not get pregnant as a teen, and am a professional at a large company. My cohorts (including all here) who did not get pregnant as teens have varied but interesting careers; they may make a ton of money or not but they don't have to because they answer to themselves only. There is freedom to do whatever you choose.

Those in my class who did get pregnant as teens have been grandmothers for the last several years and are still living in the same shit town I ran from first chance I got. They are either not working or doing menial jobs as they approach 50. (Thanks Facebook lol.)

This is reality, not MTV. Hats off to NYC for this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
From a bottle cap message on a Magic Hat #9 beer: Condoms Prevent Minivans
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I want to pick up a bus full of unruly kids and feed them gummi bears and crack, then turn them loose in Hobby Lobby to ransack the place. They will all be wearing T shirts that say "You Could Have Prevented This."
March 07, 2013
They need to lauch this campaign in my city.
March 07, 2013
Breeder Pleasing Article
The message from the ads and the cellphone campaign is clear: If you get pregnant, it’s your own damn fault if you’re struggling.

UHHHHHHH........FUCKING DUH!!!!!!!! You weren't FORCED to give birth and if for some reason you were, you weren't fucking forced to keep it!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What is a home without children? Quiet. ~Henny Youngman

I don't want people who want to dance, I want people who have to dance. ~George Balanchine

"I took the batteries out of my biological clock and put them in my vibrator"
I don't see this ad campaign as shaming or insulting teen parents but I don't see this as being particularly effective. Most grown breeders aren't honest with themselves about the consequences of spawning so IMO it's a stretch to expect teenagers to do it. I agree with the article that a better idea would have been ads featuring info about free condoms, low-cost contraceptives, etc. And the text message game is just stupid.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login