Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A Few CF Victories over the Weekend!

Posted by nathanomir 
A Few CF Victories over the Weekend!
May 28, 2013
Ah, this was a great weekend! Two CF victories to report. One at the hands (or eyes) of DW and the other at the hands of my friend H in Boulder.

First, DW's tale. We went out to Barnes and Noble at our mall so I could pick up J.R.R. Tolkien's new book. DW drove to save wear and tear on my brain (still reeling from anxiety, plus I quit drinking Thursday). We entered the parking lot and she spotted an empty spot. As she swerved into it, she spotted the sign ... "Reserved for Stroller Parents." DW said, "What the fuck!" Never piss off an Irish redhead! "Why the hell do you need to park so goddam close to the mall when you have a stroller and don't have to carry your larva?" she snapped. Then, she gunned her V6 and sped to the end of the parking lot, where there were plenty of spaces. As she parked, she said "Despite my bum knee, we're walking to strike a blow for independence and nonconformity!" God, I love that woman!

She wasn't done! We wandered around the fantasy section. Apparently, there was a whining child in a stroller being pushed by its Duh. I didn't pay any attention as I was a man on a mission. DW heard the siren, though. She stormed off to another section of the store to get away from the noise pollution. As she entered the new age aisle, here comes the Duh, the stroller, and the whiney hiney. DW said she put her hands on her hips, cocked her head, and gave her most evil glare as if to say, "Oh, really?" She said Duh saw her, did a 180, and left the store! Like I said, I love that woman!

Now, H's tale. H and her boyfriend went down to the pool of their apartment complex for Memorial Day. They were just sitting there, minding their own business, when some brat shoots H in the face with a water gun. She tells him not to do it again. He does. She goes up to the boy's father, who is ignoring his son and playing on an iPad and complains. Duh says he'll stop the boy. He doesn't. The brat shoots her in the face again! She says "If you do that again, I'm going to pound you into the concrete." He shoots her a fourth time! H grabs his water pistol, and despite his howls of protests, never gives it back! Duh just keeps playing on his iPad while bratley screams and whines and H holds his water pistol. H is my hero!

Yes, it was a nice weekend indeed!

Re: A Few CF Victories over the Weekend!
May 28, 2013
It's new to me, man. I never saw it before Saturday. The way it's worded, I'd expect to see the parents in the stroller and the kids pushing it. "This is my mom and dad. They're stroller parents. They refuse to walk."

May 28, 2013
I kept hoping that the water pistol would be shot at the duh.
May 28, 2013
yurble
I was hoping that the ipad was going to go "swiming."
May 28, 2013
yurble

Oh, I forgot that part of the story! H is going to go buy a supersoaker and if Brat shoots her again, she's blasting Duh! Yep!

And it will no doubt happen. Brat shot H in the face with a water pistol last year at the same pool.

I'll keep y'all updated!

May 28, 2013
"Stroller parent" spaces? Oh great. Well, at least they're not legally enforceable. I have been known to park in 'stork spots' if I'm feeling ornery (though most of the time I don't care if I park close to a store or not). Stroller parent spots get the same level of contempt from me.
May 28, 2013
What do you mean picking up JRR Tolkien's new book? He hasn't made a new book in decades on account of being dead.
May 28, 2013
What if you're pushing an empty stroller? A dog stroller? A toy stroller with a doll in it? :biggrin2
May 28, 2013
juliewashere88
What do you mean picking up JRR Tolkien's new book? He hasn't made a new book in decades on account of being dead.

I was wondering if someone was going to comment on that! drinking coffee

Long before he wrote The Hobbit, Tolkien worked on an epic poem in the Old English tradition called The Fall of Arthur. It's about who you think it's about. He never finished it, and his son finally published it. It was just released last week.

May 29, 2013
nathanomir
juliewashere88

Long before he wrote The Hobbit, Tolkien worked on an epic poem in the Old English tradition called The Fall of Arthur. It's about who you think it's about. He never finished it, and his son finally published it. It was just released last week.

I assumed it was something of that sort - an unpublished manuscript that had been recently found or something.
May 29, 2013
Snark Shark
"Long before he wrote The Hobbit, Tolkien worked on an epic poem in the Old English tradition called The Fall of Arthur. It's about who you think it's about. He never finished it, and his son finally published it. It was just released last week"

any good?

"Arthur. It's about who you think it's about."

DUDLEY MOORE?

bouncing and laughing

Dudley Moore with Peter Cook!

I've only read the first few pages. It's good! It's alliterative with no rhyme (some people like rhyme, some don't) so it reads fast. The usual cast of characters, Arthur, Guinnevere, Lancelot, Mordred. I'll get back to it when I finish American Gods. It's interesting that a scholar of Saxon English literature wrote a poem about the greatest anti-Saxon legend of them all.

May 29, 2013
nathanomir
juliewashere88

I'm not dead yet

Yes you are ...

Click here to login