Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Next chapter in the Vegitina saga

Posted by starlady 
Next chapter in the Vegitina saga
June 10, 2013
Okay, saw the grandmoo this evening and she's allll happy. Vegitina will go, with her parunts, to PANAMA to get a stem cell shot. I dunno, I hope it works because this is just such a waste of money IMO. Grandmoo is talking about setting up a website to get donations or maybe a community outreach. (there is another thread on here about these kinds of things) Everytime she brings in news of Vegitina I cringe. What's next?
Re: Next chapter in the Vegitina saga
June 10, 2013
Oooooooo

Experimental things may not always work - and in fact can go horribly wrong.

I mentioned this book before on here -

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0452289327

An analogous tale in this book would be "The Runner's Brain". You can see enough details on that in the book description and reviews.

ERG.

Fooling around with weird things is often not a good idea.

I feel bad for thinking - not only will it probably not work - it might kill her and thus end the misery.

Actually, I don't feel all that bad for thinking that - it might be the best outcome.

Poor Child sad smiley
June 10, 2013
God, I saw a documentary about those foreign and unapproved, even in the countries of origin, stem cell shots. They are usually scams and at best do no good and at worst they can cause more harm to the patient. The one I saw had some American men with ALS( Lou Gehrig's) who went under cover with one of those news shows and were promised cures, which of course there are none known at this time. These con artists prey on desperate people and milk them for tens of thousands of dollars.the world 'fail' on flames

------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- -------
If YOU are the "exception" to what I am saying, then why does my commentary bother you so much?
I don't hate your kids, I HATE YOU!
Anonymous User
June 10, 2013
Pardon my ignorance but who exactly is this person?

I typed in "Vegitina" before and got nothing.

I am guessing that the story is about a female child who is in a vegetative state.
Anonymous User
June 10, 2013
grammarnut
I am guessing that the story is about a female child who is in a vegetative state.

Yes, that's what this saga is about.
June 11, 2013
grammarnut

If you look through Starlady's posting history you'll find about 5 threads on the subject. Alternately, if you just type 'vegitina' into the site's search, you get 158 results (as of the time of this writing).
June 11, 2013

June 11, 2013
Ugh, I know a few adults who have traveled for very experimental treatments. All lived, but none were helped (or at least not beyond a shortly lived placebo effect) and all became rather bitter as a result. It was like their hope was finally dashed.

Once again, I am hoping an end of suffering for Vegitina. Even if that end has to come as the result of an experimental treatment in Panama.
June 11, 2013
Zzelda
I feel bad for thinking - not only will it probably not work - it might kill her and thus end the misery.

Actually, I don't feel all that bad for thinking that - it might be the best outcome.

This. It would be far better for this madness to stop.

Why are her parents so determined to postpone the inevitable?

--------------

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it."
George Bernard Shaw

"An oyster can play catch if u only give it the oprotunity"
Some random YouTube commenter

"hate comments will be deleted!! fuckers!"
Some random YouTube uploader

Anonymous User
June 11, 2013
yurble
grammarnut

If you look through Starlady's posting history you'll find about 5 threads on the subject. Alternately, if you just type 'vegitina' into the site's search, you get 158 results (as of the time of this writing).

OK. Thanks.
June 11, 2013
There is no way this chyld can have a normal life. There's no way the rest of her family can every live normaly again as long as she is around. I mean... the kid is over a year old now and really not much better than she was when she was sluced. All she can do is sit in her special recliner, with breathing tubes and feeding tubes and stare out. Everyone thinks she is looking at them but she was once dx'd as 'legaly blind'. She'll never have sight in one eye and the other is questionable. Her hands move and her feet move slightly when 'tickled'. She can drink about 1 oz of water on her own before it's back to the feeding tube. She can barely swallow and she can barely make a noise. She has NEVER cried.

I believe there is promise with the study of stem cells but it is not accepted all over and there is still a lot of work to do before the science is perfected. Just WHAT is a shot of this supposed to do for this chyld? How many more trips to Panama will there need to be? Just WHEN will they call it 'quits'?

I believe that this is one chyld who was never supposed to survive birth. She had a stroke BEFORE she was born. She's been through a whole YEAR of 'rehab'. Just makes me feel sorry for the rest of the kids because Vegitina requires moomie's attention 24/7.
June 11, 2013
God, that's pathetic. But when you're stuck with a loaf who's outgrowing her cute, helpless baby stage and isn't entertaining anymore, you start looking for more creative solutions.

--------------------
"[GFG's pregnancy is] kind of like at the stables where that one dumb, ugly-ass mare broke out of her corral one day and got herself screwed by the equally fugly colt that was due to be gelded the same afternoon."- Shiny
June 13, 2013
Saw the grandmoo again tonight and she was talking about Veg again. That trip to Panama is going to cost 20K and guess how they're paying for it? Great Grandmoo is cashing in life insurance. Grandmoo also has a PayPal thing set up for donations and has some long story about Veg on her FB page. (no FB here so I didn't see it)

Veg is 14 months old and is at the development stage of a 2 mo old. Grandmoo said "everything above the neck just doesn' t work" WTF? So, she can't hear, see, make a noise, smell or... apparently THINK.

I did get the nerve this evening to ask "so, what is the long range prognosis for her?"

Grandmoo said that she would probably not develope mentaly much past the age of 3.

I said then "so, what kind of life is that going to be"

Answer I got "but we all love her so much"

I dropped it after that.

Can you imagine... a 20 year old with the mind of a 3 year old with no sight or hearing or whatever? How much will they love her when they are feeding her with a tube and changing her diapers when she's 20?
This is just all kinds of WRONG.
June 13, 2013
starlady

Answer I got "but we all love her so much".

BULLSHIT. If they loved that kid, they would've done the merciful thing and put an end to her suffering.

--------------

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it."
George Bernard Shaw

"An oyster can play catch if u only give it the oprotunity"
Some random YouTube commenter

"hate comments will be deleted!! fuckers!"
Some random YouTube uploader

June 14, 2013
strange aeons
starlady

Answer I got "but we all love her so much".

BULLSHIT. If they loved that kid, they would've done the merciful thing and put an end to her suffering.

I agree, it is not love. It is a delusion.

“I was talking about children that have not been properly house-trained. Left to their own impulses and indulged by doting or careless parents almost all children are yahoos. Loud, selfish, cruel, unaffectionate, jealous, perpetually striving for attention, empty-headed, for ever prating or if words fail them simply bawling, their voices grown huge from daily practice: the very worst company in the world. But what I dislike even more than the natural child is the affected child, the hulking oaf of seven or eight that skips heavily about with her hands dangling in front of her -- a little squirrel or bunny-rabbit -- and prattling away in a baby's voice.”

― Patrick O'Brian, The Truelove

lib'-er-ty: the freedom given to you to make the wrong decision, based on the reasoned belief that you will normally make the right one.
June 14, 2013
Was relating these latest bits of info to dh last night and i had to drink wine to calm myself down. This is realllly pissin' me off. Dh said "I'll bet that we get word about halfway into the Panama trip the 'veg' didn't survive.'
This kid is freekin' dead already. Her body moves because there are nerves that MAKE her move. It's not controled. If they didn't use the feeding tube or pulled the air tube for 5 seconds... she'd be dead.
I say "stop living in denial and pull the freekin' plug'

They kid was born dead and they revived her and are keeping her in this state of 'weekend at Burniedom'. It's SICK! Now Grandmoo is begging on line for money. SICK SICK SICK!!!
June 14, 2013
It won't work. It's her brain that needs the help, and I guarantee this won't cross the blood brain barrier, and they won't he opening up her skull to put it directly on her brain, that's for damn sure.
I recently read about some new advances in getting drugs to cross the blood brain barrier, but I doubt they'll be using such techniques in Panama.
June 14, 2013
This is just so tragic. I feel so badly for this little girl.

I know that if this were my child, that I would not be able to stand to see her in such a state all the time. It would be hard, but I think that I would just let her go. Actually, I think I would feel like I was freeing her.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login