Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I can't understand the "logic"

Posted by cfdavep 
I can't understand the "logic"
March 18, 2014
http://gma.yahoo.com/woman-sues-wrongful-pregnancy-failed-sterilization-034844452--abc-news-health.html

These people just never heard of abortion
Re: I can't understand the "logic"
March 18, 2014
I'm kinda torn on this one. On the one hand, this is definitely negligence if the doctor didn't tie both tubes. In fact, he only tied the one that was defective in the first place. If he had tied the working one and left the defective one alone, I think that would've make it more complicated. But even then, he should've done both. Moo was left with the false belief that she was sterilized, when in fact she wasn't. That's not okay.

On the other hand, Moo did have options other than keeping the 4th baybee. She chose to continue the pignancy and did not opt for adoption, so she chose to take responsibility for the chyld. In that case, I think it mitigates the doctor's liability for future health care expenses.

I can certainly sympathize being stuck with a baybee that shouldn't have happened via incomplete sterilization, but she did have other options. This is a tough one.

Apparently their local law says a doctor cannot be held responsible for failure of the sterilization, and I'm not sure that is a bad thing. Sure it sucks for having an unwanted pignancy, but, otherwise if that law is disregarded, what is to stop future moos from having a defective baybee and trying to sue for their doctor/insurance/etc. to pay for lifetime care?
March 18, 2014
Dang right she should sue. That doctor fvcked up not only her life, but her kid's as well. She had rightfully expected the procedure to render sterile permanently,as they insist on telling us. Perhaps it was too late for an abortion by the time she found out she had a loaf baking. Also, the state restrictions might have prevented her to choose that alternative.
March 19, 2014
Of course people should be able to sue if the treatment they got was not what they were told they got, or it was performed incorrectly. If the tubes had regenerated, it would be a case of "that sucks," but the doctor not doing as promised is a clear case of negligence.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login