Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

It's the little things in life...

Posted by breakstuff 
It's the little things in life...
April 14, 2014
We are getting ready for a big maintenance outage at work. The maintenance planner in my department orders extra rental trucks for these outages. Being the only CF in the whole damn department I am usually first there and last to leave every day.

Well, the rental company ran short on the workman level trim package trucks and sent a premium trim duramax one ton crew cab. Brand friggin new off the lot. The planner was handing out keys and I was last...and I got the brand new duramax. Later he calls me to the office and thanked me for the extra time I put in and he figured since I would easy put in double the hours of anyone else I should get the nicest truck. I guess the older guys came bitching to him and he told them to get bent.

So I'll be riding in style for the next 6 weeks. Suck it breeders!! :yeah
Re: It's the little things in life...
April 15, 2014
thumbs upwink

I'm jealous.

I'm thinking of getting some kind of 'truck' - but in a more affordable range. And smaller. I'm presently in an urban area, am thinking of moving. I'm not sure what I would need, truck wise.

You - or anyone? have any advice?

I'm presently driving a temperamental sports car which is only slightly bigger than a Smart Car and is good for nothing but going fast. On dry roads.

If I move - I would need a diff vehicle (public transport is available here, as an alternative, and I don't drive that much right now).

I would need something that would do reasonably OK with ice / snow, I'm only thinking of moving to the ExUrbs, not 'hard core country', but it's still 'different', already lived in such spots, a sports car won't work.

For 'hauling things' - it wouldn't be much, some basic construction supplies. Heavy and big stuff - I plan to hire people to work on, and they can haul it too.

But 'mid range' things - I do plan to get / haul and work on myself.

I am looking at this "Chevy HHR" ?SUV? / Wagon.

I'm not sure. 4 cyl? Meh. Front wheel drive? Well, better than rear in snow, but ~

I'm seeing old used ones in the $7K range. It's cheap, but it's kind of much really - for what you get.

Step down to "Beater" range, Junk PU truck - that may not pass emissions / requires constant work, many of those aren't all that great in ice and snow either.

I don't know. If I move - I would have to get another vehicle. City Slicker is confused -

Do not mean to hijack your topic! I saw Cool Truck and got all excited! grinning smiley And I WANT ONE TOO! I'm sure such a truck as this would work out perfectly for me - I can't afford such a thing though.

And, I may not need all that much.

Wait - when you all are done with them - you should donate one to me!!!

I can't resist from talking about All Types Vehicles, anyway -
I have a problem ~
April 15, 2014
Buy a vehicle that will handle 90% of what you do. I would never own a duramax, I have no need for it. But it's cool to roll around in one on the companies dime. smiling smiley By the way, it is 22:05 EDT right now, got here at 6 am care to guess how many breeder beat me to work or are still here now that shit is hitting the fan?

Your description of exurb with winter conditions screams Subaru forester to me. Great mileage, excellent all weather handling, great reliability. Not going to put a stack of 2x4s in it but you can haul a surprising amount.
April 16, 2014
breakstuff
Your description of exurb with winter conditions screams Subaru forester to me. Great mileage, excellent all weather handling, great reliability. Not going to put a stack of 2x4s in it but you can haul a surprising amount.

I drive a 2003 Toyota Highlander mid-sized SUV. Not a tank, and you can get quite a bit in it, and not a problem to park. Has on-demand 4-wheel drive, which I've never had occasion to use since I live in sunny Tucson. Nice peppy 6-banger engine. I bought it used in 2010 and haven't had one lick of problems with it. Just sayin'.
April 16, 2014
skyeyes
breakstuff

I drive a 2003 Toyota Highlander mid-sized SUV. Not a tank, and you can get quite a bit in it, and not a problem to park. Has on-demand 4-wheel drive, which I've never had occasion to use since I live in sunny Tucson. Nice peppy 6-banger engine. I bought it used in 2010 and haven't had one lick of problems with it. Just sayin'.

Both great ideas, thanks! thumbs upwink

Why didn't I think of these? Yeah, you live in this environ and are used to the sports car or train - you don't think about other vehicles which is why I asked.

I have a few choice words about mine, if anyone needs any small car advice. These amount to: angry smiley

It's back in the shop again! Fix it again, Tony! Except it's not a Fiat. And the mechanic's name is Josh. Fix it again, Josh! Their eyes light up when they see it coming, cash register bells going off in their heads. Grrrrrr!!!

Ah, but it is the 'little' things in life - the tow truck guy - great big guy, probably 6.5 and 300 lbs, after getting in and out of it said - Wow, this is a small car! smiling smiley Yes it sure is. Really small. And temperamental.

If anyone's interested - you can still get them used ~
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_Crossfire

I have the red one, same as second pic there. It is fast. If you could say one good thing about it. Electrical issues are common, parts, repair, maintenance are *not* cheap. It has its good and bad points. Yes, I knew what I was in for - I always get sports cars. You'd think the ME degree would help me too (not really). And *no one* seems to be able to definitively fix the vast and stupefying electrical issues. Brain Surgery is probably more straightforward and easier. Gah.

You know who likes these? Speaking of guys and trucks - I read forums for it, I have to try to self diagnose as much as I can - alot of guys on the forums are truckers and / or great big guys too (self described, pix, or gripes about not being able to get at all the crap crammed in every available nook and cranny with "Polish Sausage Fingers"). Many work as truckers, driving the big rigs. And for some reason they like this teeny tiny car. Go figure. Yeah, you could haul it around *in* your semi, probably. In fact - one could probably use such a vehicle to keep dragging it to the shop - or their own tow truck.

Fix it again, Josh! angry smiley
April 16, 2014
Yup, Chrysler has issues...

Just gotta brag a little more. Boss called me into his office today. I figured the worst, come to find out it was merit based salary increase day. How our company chooses to do it is that every area manager on the site is given a 'pot' of money to distribute how they see fit. Not a one time thing, this is a permenant raise.

Well, last night we had a line go down and even though it ain't my bobber I went to plant to help the guys trouble shoot it. I have a heavy background in power systems. The problem was fairly simple but time intensive. Yesterday was a 22 hour day. Been working back to back 16s for the last month.

Well, my boss heard what I did and said fuck the rest of them I GET THE WHOLE POT!!! It's essentially a 25% raise!! He said, "if you chose to take responsibity and get shit done like a manager, you should get paid like a manager...." Hell ya!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login