Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

CNN article about kids and hot cars

Posted by Miss_Hannigan 
CNN article about kids and hot cars
July 05, 2014
I have a hard time believing that most of these hot car incidents aren't intentional, but here you go:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/03/us/hot-car-deaths/

It has been seven years since Balfour forgot her 9-month-old Bryce in her backseat while she spent hours at work. That morning she was rushing to deal with an emergency at her Charlottesville, Virginia, job. Her routine was off. She normally dropped Bryce off at day care.
But that day she had tucked the 9-month-old in a car seat directly behind her driver's seat, rather than his usual spot behind the passenger seat. She parked, got out and went inside to work.

If she made the effort to move the child seat, certainly that would have helped her remember, wouldn't it?

Forgotten Baby Syndrome seems to involve a "clash between prospective memory and another form of memory, referred to as habit memory," he wrote. "Habit memory is formed subconsciously through repeated activities, such as learning how to ride a bike or, in the case of FBS, repeatedly driving to and from home and work."

Just more excuses to cover up criminal behavior.

After the hot car death of the Georgia toddler in June, CNN legal analyst Sunny Hostin wrote about how she and her husband accidentally left their infant daughter in a hot car during a shopping trip.
They realized the mistake minutes into a shopping trip, and ran to the car, she said in a CNN.com Opinion piece.

TWO parents forgot the kid on a trip? I think one of them had a plan.

"The bottom line is that there hasn't been sufficient government funding to address this," he said. "You put a man on the moon but you can't detect a child in a car? If there were funding, there would be technology."

There is technology - it's your own brain, which should easily remember something supposedly cherished above anything else in life, according to breeders.

I hope future car incidents are more closely scrutinized, and not just waved off by some psychobabble about the human brain, habit memory and other fictionalized garbage packaged as a syndrome. Because it's easier to blame a syndrome than a parent, after all.

--------------------
"[GFG's pregnancy is] kind of like at the stables where that one dumb, ugly-ass mare broke out of her corral one day and got herself screwed by the equally fugly colt that was due to be gelded the same afternoon."- Shiny
Re: CNN article about kids and hot cars
July 05, 2014
Even if it isn't intentional, it is still criminal activity. Last time I checked, engaging in negligent activity that harmed others was against the law, and punishable.
Anonymous User
July 05, 2014
Oh brother. These breeders, no matter how harried, distracted, they claim they are, would never in a million years forget their phone, handbag, briefcase, lunch, or anything else of importance, when exiting their cars and heading into work. Yet, time after time, their infant (whom they strapped into said car a very short time ago)is "forgotten" in the back seat and left to die a truly gruesome death. I have always called bullshit. Oh yes, nanny state, we need more funding to fix dem ebil cars that are murdering our chillens. Remind me again, who are the evil ones here?
July 05, 2014
I have to ask how can they forget a baby in their backseat? How?
I get it that changing routine can make you forget certain things. I've been there. But a living being? C'mon. How distracted do you have to be to forget a child??

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Don't you know how to deal with children?!"
"I don't like animals who act on instinct."
I think you're on to something Akihiko.
July 05, 2014
What the fuckity fuck? There needs to be government funding for this? If you can't remember you have a tiny dependent human being in the back seat of your car, you have no business procreating.
July 05, 2014
Maybe there needs to be government funding to assure that complete fucking morons don't breed.

But then again, I'm firmly in the camp that believes that no children are accidentally being left in hot cars in the first place.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________
"Not every ejaculation deserves a name" - George Carlin
July 05, 2014
Kyds, especially baybees and toddlers are not fucking quiet, at all. I do not buy that Sprogley sat in the car seat all quiet and never made a peep. Bullshit.

I also don't buy the "oh, they were sitting behind me, in my blind spot, so I didn't notice." Again, baybees are not quiet. But, I'm supposed to believe that they never in glance around their car interior when they are getting out?

I don't buy the whole "it could happen to anyone" line of bullshit. I obviously don't have a kyd, but I would fucking notice if there was one in the backseat of my car.

I read an article similar to this one the other day, and they basically put a lot of blame on car manufacturers. One of the big things? Airbags in vehicles forcing parunts to move kyds to the backseat and (theoretically) out of harm's way. Pretty sure airbags were a government mandate and not something car manufacturers decided to do. Either way, that's a great argument: "The govt./car manufacturers -- through their desire to make things safer for kyds in cars -- are guilty of contributing to their roasting to death instead", because parunts apparently have the attention span of a fruit fly.

I saw mentioned here the idea of doing something with the backseat, to alert moron parunts that they are leaving Sprogley in his car seat; some kind of alarm. That was addressed in the article that I read. It was said that car manufacturers refused to do this, because if the alarm wasn't set right, or something caused it to malfunction, they would be held criminally and civilly liable. Can't say I blame car-makers; they're exactly right. Aside from that, there just should not ever be a need for an alarm to prevent some moron parunt from leaving their kyd in a car. If you don't know wtf your kyd is, then you shouldn't have one in the first place.
July 05, 2014
I love when they blame a disruption in routine when they roast their kids. Child-rearing is nothing but constant disruptions to routine. If you can't handle that, then you should not procreate.

I think that the gory details of a child dying of hyperthermia need to be described in every article reporting on such a death. Everybody has the vision that the corpse is just a sweaty baby sleeping and that's just not true. When you detail that the baby was covered in its own vomit or tore its hair out or was bloody due to clawing at its skin, people will be a lot less sympathetic. When you know exactly how the baby suffered in agony before finally dying, there would be a whole lot less of the Suffered Enoughâ„¢ excuse because nothing would match the suffering of the baby.

------------------------------------------------------------
"Why children take so long to grow? They eat and drink like pig and give nothing back. Must find way to accelerate process..."
- Dr. Yi Suchong, Bioshock

"Society does not need more children; but it does need more loved children. Quite literally, we cannot afford unloved children - but we pay heavily for them every day. There should not be the slightest communal concern when a woman elects to destroy the life of her thousandth-of-an-ounce embryo. But all society should rise up in alarm when it hears that a baby that is not wanted is about to be born."
- Garrett Hardin

"I feel like there's a message involved here somehow, but then I couldn't stop laughing at all the plotholes, like the part when North Korea has food."
- Youtube commentor referring to a North Korean cartoon.

"Reality is a bitch when it slowly crawls out of your vagina and shits in your lap."
- Reddit comment

"Bitch wants a baby, so we're gonna fuck now. #bareback"
- Cambion

Oh whatever. Abortion doctors are crimestoppers."
- Miss Hannigan
July 05, 2014
Never mind the sound, what about the stench of a loaf. Those thing smell horrible...
July 06, 2014
I had read on CNN article that said that this child's eyes and mouth were open when it was takenby authorities. The duh told the moo that the kid looked like it was sleeping. More lies.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"If you can't feed your baby, then don't have a baby. And don't think maybe, if you can't feed your baby."
- The wisdom of the late Michael Jackson
"The mother of the year should be a sterilized woman with two adopted children." - Paul Ehrlich
July 06, 2014
paragon schnitzophonic
I love when they blame a disruption in routine when they roast their kids. Child-rearing is nothing but constant disruptions to routine. If you can't handle that, then you should not procreate.

I think that the gory details of a child dying of hyperthermia need to be described in every article reporting on such a death. Everybody has the vision that the corpse is just a sweaty baby sleeping and that's just not true. When you detail that the baby was covered in its own vomit or tore its hair out or was bloody due to clawing at its skin, people will be a lot less sympathetic. When you know exactly how the baby suffered in agony before finally dying, there would be a whole lot less of the Suffered Enoughâ„¢ excuse because nothing would match the suffering of the baby.

This link provided a few details. And again with the CF word

Harris' wife told police the pair were having intimacy issues, according to Stoddard. There are texts to indicate that she knew he was cheating on her.
'We plan to show that he wanted to live a child-free life,' the prosecution told the judge.
Stoddard testified that before the boy died, Harris had visited the website Reddit to search for articles on life without children
July 06, 2014
Dorisan

This link provided a few details. And again with the CF word

I heard that too and you know, that survival instinct to escape from extreme harm is innate within all animals including humans, regardless of their age and that goes for infants, too.

Problem is, breeders are too fucking retarded to acknowledge this cold, hard, scientific fact.
July 06, 2014
Among the obvious questions I have relating to Locked In Hot Car Syndrome™ include the following:

1)WHY don't they "forget" their kids are strapped into car seats in their cars on crisp Autumn afternoons or on a brisk Summer morning when the weather is mild? Part 2 to this question:IF THEY ARE forgetting them at other times too, is this pattern of forgetfulness, when they get lucky and the kid is okay, not enough to keep them extra alert and vigilant on hot summer days? Part 3 is:IF they have a continuing pattern of forgetfulness, which could eventually become life threatening to their kid, then WHY don't they seek medical attention for their forgetfulness and find out the cause and/or take precautions against it? No, they don't "forget" these kids on 60 degree days with any regularity or it would be reported along with these stories as a defense, which in and of itself is VERY telling.

2)They nearly always claim they forgot the kid because there was a change in their routine or schedule, which of course is horse shit. WHY can't these parents deal with a simple change in routine? Supposedly they are all super parents with all the bullshit associated with their alleged multi-tasking prowess, but they can't recall their kid is in their vehicle?

3)Do they not think about their kid AT ALL during the time he's strapped into a scorching car seat? I thought their kids were the WOOOORLD to them? If someone is "the world" to you and means "everything" to you, don't you think about them once or twice during the day? Not a day goes by I don't think of my husband, parents, sisters, and some friends, etc......One would think that would raise their memories a notch at LEAST in time to save their own kid!

the world 'fail' on flamesALL excuses for Locked In Hot Car Syndrome™

------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- -------
If YOU are the "exception" to what I am saying, then why does my commentary bother you so much?
I don't hate your kids, I HATE YOU!
July 06, 2014
There isn't five minutes goes by in the day when I don't know where my dog and cat are.

But there's no love like the love for a child, is there?
Anonymous User
July 06, 2014
paragon schnitzophonic
I think that the gory details of a child dying of hyperthermia need to be described in every article reporting on such a death.

I would go even further than that and say that they should show actual pictures of what these kids looked like after dying in the hot car. I know some people might think that is going too far, but IMO actually seeing something is far more effective than just reading words printed on a page.
July 06, 2014
The thing that gets me is, even if they have a change in routine, so what? They never, ever look around the fucking car?

Regardless of where I'm going, I always double-check my purse for my phone and whatnot, and look around the passenger seat (where I put my purse while driving) to make sure I have everything before I leave the car. Every time.

So, if it's a matter of breaking routine, then the fuck don't parunts make it their regular routine to look in the backseat of the car before the lock it up and walk away?
July 06, 2014
I can't stand these stupid people who try to rationalize something as disgusting as kiddie murder. At the very least, it's negligent homicide. I think that the authorities are finally catching on, but not after thousands of kyds have died like this.

Parunts need to be held responsible when a child dies in their care. Period. If a babysitter or nanny would be charged, so should they. Just because it's their own child doesn't make it any less horrific.

Ignorance is not an excuse. I don't care WHAT this article states.

It's a way to get ignorant parunts off the hook for murder, and nothing more.
July 06, 2014
Case in point: Someone dropped off a pregnant kitty on my property last week and she turned an old cat caddy on my back porch into her birthing suite. She isn't even my cat, let alone my chyyyld, but every day, several times a day probably hourly, I think, "I wonder how that cat and her kittens are doing" and I go out and LOOK, change out water and food bowls, pet kitties, etc...and they can't remember their OWN baby? No, I don't buy this "forgotten baby syndrome" and never will as it is COMPLETE horseshit.thumbs updown

------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- -------
If YOU are the "exception" to what I am saying, then why does my commentary bother you so much?
I don't hate your kids, I HATE YOU!
July 06, 2014
Oh yeah, I was going to comment on that: Forgotten Baybee Syndrome? Syndrome?

So, 'forgetting' your kyd in a hot car is a medical condition? Since when? Has anyone seen these so-called parunts being diagnosed with Alzheimer's or some other mental condition? Because I haven't; not once, much less on the regular.

It's bogus. Calling this a "syndrome" is just another way to excuse parunts for murdering their kyds.
July 06, 2014
Have you ever thought this would become a fucking syndrome?

Nobody ever heard of locked my cellphone in a hot car syndrome, forgot my purse at home syndrome, or any other such horseshit.

The way I see it, is only the kyds suffer when the parunts have this 'syndrome'.
July 06, 2014
I have Work Intolerance Syndrome. It makes me want to eat Cheetos and surf the Internet from 9 to 5. It also piggybacks onto Housecleaning Avoidance Syndrome. Where's my government research grant? Hey, don't blame me, blame my condition.

I was reading about some idiot who recommends that parents take off their left shoe when entering the car and stow it in the back seat with the child. There was some catchy phrase like "Left behind"

--------------------
"[GFG's pregnancy is] kind of like at the stables where that one dumb, ugly-ass mare broke out of her corral one day and got herself screwed by the equally fugly colt that was due to be gelded the same afternoon."- Shiny
July 06, 2014
Miss_Hannigan
Forgotten Baby Syndrome seems to involve a "clash between prospective memory and another form of memory, referred to as habit memory," he wrote. "Habit memory is formed subconsciously through repeated activities, such as learning how to ride a bike or, in the case of FBS, repeatedly driving to and from home and work."

I can understand this, as this is part of my Assbergers Syndrome. I use habit memory to interact with people as my manners come from this. While using habit memory almost all the time, I do not have brats as I know I would not make a good brat minder.

I personally think that a noise maker needs to be put in the seat of a baby seat to alert parents of any brat left in a car. Parents can't SEE a sleeping brat, and they can't hear it either.

There are cases that make utter horse shit of this however.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
July 06, 2014
cfchevygirl
I saw mentioned here the idea of doing something with the backseat, to alert moron parunts that they are leaving Sprogley in his car seat; some kind of alarm. That was addressed in the article that I read. It was said that car manufacturers refused to do this, because if the alarm wasn't set right, or something caused it to malfunction, they would be held criminally and civilly liable. Can't say I blame car-makers; they're exactly right. Aside from that, there just should not ever be a need for an alarm to prevent some moron parunt from leaving their kyd in a car. If you don't know wtf your kyd is, then you shouldn't have one in the first place.

Babby seats can have the noisemaker built in to every model of baby seat built in. Or parents can buy an alarm separate from the car and the baby seat so they can read just what the alarm does, how safe it is, and how much weight it can take. An independent model can by put under a dog crate, bird/rat/cat/whatever cage as well as a brat, and the critters can have a cage adapted to being buckled in.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
July 06, 2014
Miss_Hannigan
I have Work Intolerance Syndrome. It makes me want to eat Cheetos and surf the Internet from 9 to 5. It also piggybacks onto Housecleaning Avoidance Syndrome. Where's my government research grant? Hey, don't blame me, blame my condition.

I was reading about some idiot who recommends that parents take off their left shoe when entering the car and stow it in the back seat with the child. There was some catchy phrase like "Left behind"

Stowing the purse or something else of vital importance with the loved one would aid memory too. When I walked my niece in the stroller, I wrapped my purse around her stroller for just that reason.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
July 07, 2014
gymrat
Even if it isn't intentional, it is still criminal activity. Last time I checked, engaging in negligent activity that harmed others was against the law, and punishable.

Yup. Drunk drivers don't intend to hurt and kill people when they get into their cars. Many will drive out of habit.

There goes that habit argument. And if I were an enterprising attorney, I would use Drunk Driving Syndrome.

I say drop your phone in the car seat and plunk the baby's ass on it. They never forget their phones.

(I too wonder why they never forget kids in the winter or the fall or cool spring days. Always in July. In Hotlanta or Texas.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
From a bottle cap message on a Magic Hat #9 beer: Condoms Prevent Minivans
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I want to pick up a bus full of unruly kids and feed them gummi bears and crack, then turn them loose in Hobby Lobby to ransack the place. They will all be wearing T shirts that say "You Could Have Prevented This."
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login