Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Dear Prudence: I'm childfree but faking a pregnancy to gain in-laws' approval

Posted by Dorisan 
Prudie gets it wrong again. She suggests the woman wiggle out of the lie by claiming a false alarm. This will (IMO) just cause a greater attempt at enmeshment by her in-laws. They are already flooding her with pregnancy and child-rearing advice, reports that the pregnancy was a failure will just lead to overwhelming sympathy and pressure to "try again." After all, her initial lie informed the in-laws that she and her husband did want kids, so they will make the assumption that another attempt will be made in the future.

Might as well straighten your shoulders and 'fess up. The woman now has clear proof that her only value to the in-laws is in a capacity as incubator. This may be a step towards telling them that they need to accept the CF status of son and daughter-in-law. Husband needs to step up as well. Something tells me that the women in his family probably "blame" his wife for the lack of children, thinking that he is merely going along with what she wants.

Dear Prudence,
I am a career-driven woman recently married to a similarly career-driven man, and we both plan to continue our child-free existence. I happen to be the type of person who craves the approval of my husband’s family, but they have given me the cold shoulder. My husband’s mother and sister also see children as the most valued products of a relationship. Recently, in a moment of utter stupidity and desperation (and after a glass of wine or two), I texted his mother that I was expecting. Now they love me! I get messages during the day from my mother-in-law and sister-in-law, including lengthy emails full of pregnancy and child-rearing advice. We live far away, but at some point my lie is going to be revealed. I have asked my husband to stay silent until I can figure out how to fix things, but in doing so have made him an accessory to my lie. How do I come clean while minimizing the inevitable damage? I am normally clear-headed and smart, so I still can’t believe I did this and have allowed it to go on for over a month!

—Liar Liar

Dear Liar,
If you don’t straighten this out, and your in-laws are the type of people who insist on being there for the delivery, come next March you’re going to find yourself staging your own kidnapping in order to get out of having to explain it’s neither a girl nor a boy, but a lie. It's also a violation of your marriage, and your husband's relationship with his family, to make him party to your deceit. You need to correct this, all right, but it’s going to be difficult to explain to your in-laws what really happened. Saying that in an alcohol-driven moment of insecurity you sought their love by conjuring a nonexistent pregnancy is unlikely to make them re-consider their coldness. It would instead color all your interactions for a long time to come and make them question anything you said—along with your sanity and sobriety. This is especially the case since you don’t intend to ever make real your bogus claim about producing a child. So I suggest you say right away that unfortunately the pregnancy was a false alarm. Sure, this will inevitably result in a barrage of questions and concern about this turn of events: was the pregnancy wishful thinking, a defective test, a miscarriage. But you and your husband then have to be resolute enough to say that this is a private matter and you just don’t want to discuss it beyond confirming you’re not pregnant. Marriage is one of those great life shifts that has a way of bringing up long-buried psychological issues. You say this is totally out of character for you, so you should examine what’s going on that would prompt you to blurt out something so inevitably self-destructive in a search for approval from your new husband’s family.
Either I'm a bitch or I'm the type of person who doesn't care about people.
I don't understand the feeling of being desperate for someone's approval or wanting to be so close to someone you'd completely change yourself/lie/do things you wouldn't do.
You either like me or you don't and I will not give a fuck if you don't. Because you can't love everyone. There will to be somebody you won't like.
Hearing/Seeing all the mad shit that goes on once someone has in-laws, I already prepared myself to not give a shit if I get married one day. I won't be causing problems but disrespect me and expect a full front cold barrier.
She needs to tell them she was never pregnant. And she needs to stop craving for their affection. Who is she going to spend the rest of her life with? Her in-laws that live far away? Seriously, woman.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Don't you know how to deal with children?!"
"I don't like animals who act on instinct."
I think you're on to something Akihiko.
I'm not buying the "I'm normally a level-headed, honest person" line of bullshit. Drunk or not, this kind of shit is inherently deceitful and I think this woman is an attention-seeking whore. She's one step away from a REAL oopsie if she's willing to go this far, in my opinion. DH better watch his back (and his semen).
I think she should do the following:

1)Beg her husband's forgiveness for doing such a stupid thing AND for involving him in the deceit.

2)Have a long talk with her husband about the reason, although it's no excuse and she should admit that, she felt the necessity to make up such a lie. Then, she needs to make it absolutely clear she wants to remain childfree, assuming she does, and make sure he's on the same page. IF they both agree kids won't be in the picture, ever, then he needs to back her up when she does number 3.

3)Since it's obvious his family is a bunch of assholes and only seem to "love" her when she's incubating a grand-loaf, I don't think she owes them any explanation OTHER THAN to say the inpigness was a false alarm and they are glad they "dodged the bullet" because they do NOT want kids, ever. If they continue treating her like shit because of her unwillingness to spawn then her husband needs to lay down the law with these people. He needs to tell them HE doesn't wish to sire any kids, independent of his wife's desires. He needs to let them know they WILL respect his wife and treat her civilly or they can forget his ever coming for a visit.

I think if he makes it clear HE won't be siring loaves, even if this marriage ends for whatever reason and he gets a new wife, they will probably come to their senses and stop acting like asses. If they don't then I wouldn't give them time of day and it is HIGHLY unlikely the husband will either since they nearly ALWAYS pawn off all the famblee contact, including birthday cards and visits, on their wives. Any mother in law who isn't aware of this is an idiot.tongue sticking out smiley

------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- -------
If YOU are the "exception" to what I am saying, then why does my commentary bother you so much?
I don't hate your kids, I HATE YOU!
Yeah - I like Prudie's advice. After all, it WAS a false alarm.
In your personal life you really don't need to seek out the "approval" of other people. You're better off seeking out other people who are like-minded, or at the very least accept you for who you are.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login