Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Daily Fail: "The REAL reason grown women like me won't leave our parents' house"

Posted by thundergirl85 

My name is called and I make my way to the dining room.
As I've requested, there are sweet potatoes to accompany the chicken - breast meat only.
Even better, there's apple crumble - just this side of tart with a hint of cinnamon, and a choice of custard or creme fraiche.
No, I'm not in a country house hotel. I'm at home with my doting parents, and home-made meals like this come as part of my all-inclusive package.

When I tell people I'm a 30-year-old woman who still lives at home, they pity me.
They tut-tut about rising house prices and I nod in agreement, explaining that my meagre earnings as a freelance makes leaving home any time soon a financial impossibility.
I am part of a generation who can't get well-paid jobs, can't afford houses and as a result can't even leave home.

But it's a little more complicated than that. The truth is that living in the comfortable luxury of my family home, a warm, cheerfully decorated, four-bedroom, semi-detached house in North London - a property way beyond my means as a single woman - means that I have no impetus to leave.

Why should I? Where could I live this well, with three meals a day, a laundry service, full use of the garden and all utilities - all completely free? Where is the incentive to strike out on my own?

I know my friends feel the same.
No wonder a survey by Saga magazine revealed that there are nearly three million 20 to 34-year-olds living with their parents.

We are known as the boomerangers - the generation who have come back to live off the wealth created by our baby boomer parents, now in their 60s.
I admit I do get the odd stab of shame when I think that my parents had left home by my age.
Like most people of their generation, it was unthinkable that they would still be living with their parents in their 30s. Traditionally, you lived at home until you married, at which point you set up home with your spouse.
When most people married in their early 20s, that made perfect sense. But times have changed.
In Europe, it's normal to remain in your childhood homes into your adult years, and sometimes even after marriage. It's now happening in Britain.

While sociologists warn of the creation of a stunted generation unprepared for the responsibilities of adult life, I don't see it that way.
Why should I leave a home I'm happy in just to conform to social norms, when my parents are still happy for me to live here? In fact, my younger sisters, who are in their 20s, still live at home, too.

Furthermore, I know the dire nature of the alternative. In a foolish bid for independence, I moved out of home for a year in my mid-20s, renting a room in a shared house in East London with five other young people. I hated it.
The kitchen sink was permanently over-flowing with dirty crockery (yes, some of it was mine) and the house was freezing because we couldn't afford to heat it. After a year, I'd had quite enough of having to queue for my morning shower as if I was at a campsite.
From the cheap furniture to the bland decor, living in rented accommodation was absolute misery. Then there were my housemates. While two are still friends, if I never see the others again it will be a blessing.
When my contract was up, I happily moved back home.
Months later I was still furious with myself for spending £600 a month to live in a dirty house with people I couldn't stand.
Of course, there are times when my parents, sisters and I fall out, but because we love each other, things blow over quickly.

'In fact, like me, most of my friends are still living with their parents. Not only does it make financial sense, but we recognise we'd be stupid to suffer in discomfort and penury just to prove a point.'

Occasionally, other people will make snide comments about my 'poor parents' and muse on how desperate they must be for me to flee the nest, but this couldn't be further from the truth.

My parents have worked hard to build a comfortable family home and are only too pleased that I still want to live in it.
When I moved out in my 20s, Mum was indignant; she took it as a personal insult that I wanted to leave her lovely home and castigated me for frittering away my hard-earned money on paying a greedy landlord's mortgage.
Now I'm back home, some other people assume my living situation would make me a social pariah among my peers.
In fact, like me, most of my friends are still living with their parents.

Not only does it make financial sense, but we recognise we'd be stupid to suffer in discomfort and penury just to prove a point.

Other friends say they would still be at home given the chance. Even the ones who wear their domestic independence like a badge of honour run home to mummy and daddy at the first sign of a cold or after a break-up.
The truth is nothing will ever be as comforting as a home-cooked meal followed by a TV marathon on your parents' sofa, no matter how old you are.
The fridge is always well-stocked and we never run out of milk or toilet roll - which can't be said about the homes of friends who live by themselves.

But not everyone agrees that my set-up is a lifestyle nirvana. I've been accused of holding myself back and missing out on the freedom of being young and single.
And while I admit that living at home means you can't invite a long line of boyfriends back to stay or host wild parties, I can live with that. If I want to sit up drinking all night, I can do it at the home of one of my friends who rents.
Best of all, after a weekend of partying, I can always return to a warm, clean house. It really is the best of both worlds.

Meanwhile, I'm not expected to contribute to the running of the house, financially or otherwise.
While my dad, who owns a shop, works six days a week to pay the bills, my stay-at-home mum spends her days cleaning, washing and tidying up my mess.

Yes, I may have to sleep in a single bed, but I never have to wash the sheets myself.
That said, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't conscious that I'm not pulling my weight.
For my part, I live by my parents' rules, work hard and try to make them proud. I'm also an enthusiastic cook and make a family meal at least once a week.
It's not much, but it's heartfelt on my part and appreciated by them.
It's not always plain sailing, though. On occasion, my parents have rebelled. More than once Mum has thrown in the tea towel, and the pair of them have demanded that my sisters and I do more to help out.
In fact, a note outlining our household responsibilities - including putting dirty crockery straight in the dishwasher and keeping our rooms tidy - is stuck on the fridge door as testament to one such row.
But actually, nothing really changes. After years of living together, we're stuck in our ways, regardless of the rights or wrongs.
Spoilt? Quite possibly.
Cosseted from the harsh realities of the world? Almost certainly.
Living in a state of suspended adolescence?
All of these things may be true. And I'd ponder them deeply, honestly I would. But right now Mum is calling me down for dinner.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2451464/The-REAL-reason-grown-women-like-wont-leave-home-And-parents-beware-make-blood-boil.html
Well, keeping in mind that it's the Daily Fail, which practically invented click-bait with its tried-and-true formula of "I'm making an outrageous claim, and I don't feel the slightest bit ashamed of it", it seems like everyone in this story is a fuck-up.

I know someone who was in a similar situation, with a doting mother who did everything: paperwork, finances, cooking, ego-stroking and so on. When "orphaned" at 30-something, this person nearly ended up homeless. Grieving and trying to acquire the life-skills you should have learned much earlier is a brutal process. It's not something this person would recommend; I've heard of the person's regret about earlier decisions and parental enablement.

Sharing a house with parents is not a horrible thing. It makes economic sense and having houses filled to capacity is better for urban planning. But anyone with an ounce of sense would revert to the model of multi-generational households which preceded the nuclear family, and require all members of the household to contribute toward its upkeep.

I'm surprised this woman can walk - I'd have expected her parents to have carried her since infancy to save her the discomfort of scraped knees.
This used to be the norm in the USA too, and not just out west on homesteads : It probably wasn't until the 1940s and WW II when women left their parent's homes, got jobs, and rented accomadations , alone or with roommates. Before that, the expected pattern was, drop out of HS at 14-16 * , get a job, the boy(s) get to keep most of their earnings , the girl(s) handed over pretty much everything to pay for household expenses-both boys and girls being expected to live at home until marriage. The boys got to keep their earnings so they could "court" and eventually start their own households; girls were to go from being dependent on their parents to being dependent ona husband , so all they needed was "pin money" to keep their hair and clothes and so forth attractive enough to get a husband. If they failed? A lifetime of living with mom and dad, maybe when they died with marrried bro and SIL,as unpaid help with the chores and the kiddies. Blech!!!

I can't believe the ongoing financial collapse has become so bad that we are seeing a reversal of decades old progress, a regression to earlier patterns of living just for survival's sake . A lot of young people today are never going to have the opportunity to fulfill their dreams and ambitions: All they can do is (try to...) get A Job and hope for the best. :-(

So glad I stayed CF, not just so I didn't have the financial burden of children, but so I know I will not leave behind people who I suspect will face steadily deteriorating economic conditions over the next few decades. (Not to mention environmental, political, societal...) I wish I could go back and thank my younger self for doing at least one thing absolutely right.

*Graduating HS became the norm because of the Great Depression-there were no jobs, so the under 18s just completed school and got a diploma . Going to college became the norm because of the GI Bill post WW II , and it was the scarcity of college graduates that let so many GI Billers step into the middle class just because of a business admin degree. Because going to college became the norm, a college degree is no longer a guarantee of a job, much less of a career or financial stability. Trying telling people over 70 that, though. Too many of them "know" that 'young people these days are lazy and Don't Want To Put In Their Dues at a low pay, low prestige job so they can work their way up the ladder.' Try telling them how many people apply for every one of those low paid, low prestige jobs, how many places reject "over qualified " applicants with degrees or with no RL experience. Try telling them how many jobs are gone overseas (factory) or are done online overseas (medical billing, transcripts) or are being done by imported workers (healthcare ) or how many jobs have been automated ....Lots of them LIVED through these very changes in the 1970s, 1980s, but they still seem to want to believe that what they were told when they were in HS is Holy Writ.
In the UK it also has a lot to do with house prices rising faster than wages. We have a real scarcity of affordable housing now and the current government don't want to do anything about it because most of them are buy-to-let landlords themselves and it's in their best interests to keep people desperately scrabbling to rent their tiny properties at extortionate rates. In addition we have the help-to-buy scheme as a means of "helping" people to buy houses they can't really afford- again, all geared towards the baby boomers pulling the property ladder up after them.

Some examples of how bad things are getting in London- the pictures have to be seen to be believed:

Tiny London studio flat taken off market by council

Only suitable for tenants 2ft 4ins tall: Landlord fined for renting out flat which you could only get into by CRAWLING

...and the latest money-making scheme for the truly heartless: butyng up rooms in NURSING HOMES so you can profit from people desperately looking for an affordable place to die:

Latest buy-to-let craze: buying rooms in care homes

There's also the real problem of the "job for life" being a thing of the past, and more people on short-term contracts now. Even landlords now often require tenants to be in a "full-time permanent job" when fewer of them exist.

Our whole economy is still based on the idea that a man leaves school and goes into a job he'll have until he retires, earning enough to support a wife who will stay at home to look after their children. That isn't the world we're living in now, this system no longer works and something will have to give shortly.

The British obsession with owning property ("An Englishman's home is his castle", is it really your home if you don't own it etc) is one I can't get on board with. I think I'll be renting until I retire- and then buying a nice cheap home abroad!
screaming sausage
In the UK it also has a lot to do with house prices rising faster than wages. We have a real scarcity of affordable housing now and the current government don't want to do anything about it because most of them are buy-to-let landlords themselves and it's in their best interests to keep people desperately scrabbling to rent their tiny properties at extortionate rates. In addition we have the help-to-buy scheme as a means of "helping" people to buy houses they can't really afford- again, all geared towards the baby boomers pulling the property ladder up after them.

Some examples of how bad things are getting in London- the pictures have to be seen to be believed:

Tiny London studio flat taken off market by council

Only suitable for tenants 2ft 4ins tall: Landlord fined for renting out flat which you could only get into by CRAWLING

...and the latest money-making scheme for the truly heartless: butyng up rooms in NURSING HOMES so you can profit from people desperately looking for an affordable place to die:

Latest buy-to-let craze: buying rooms in care homes

There's also the real problem of the "job for life" being a thing of the past, and more people on short-term contracts now. Even landlords now often require tenants to be in a "full-time permanent job" when fewer of them exist.

Our whole economy is still based on the idea that a man leaves school and goes into a job he'll have until he retires, earning enough to support a wife who will stay at home to look after their children. That isn't the world we're living in now, this system no longer works and something will have to give shortly.

The British obsession with owning property ("An Englishman's home is his castle", is it really your home if you don't own it etc) is one I can't get on board with. I think I'll be renting until I retire- and then buying a nice cheap home abroad!

This is one of the main reasons I left London. I can't understand the obsession British people have with 'properties'. In so many countries people rent for their entire lives and don't suffer because they don't own a home. I've always thought of home ownership as the first nail in the coffin, because it means you have to live in the same place forever (unless you decide to sell the house) and can't just leave if you no longer like it there or just feel like changing your surroundings. And don't get me started on real estate agents and their fees and worst of all the references you need. As if I wouldn't just give out a friend's number for the landfart to call or write a reference myself. smile rolling left righteyes2 The entire idea of home ownership is geared towards famblees since a single person or couple can be perfectly happy in a 1 bed apartment but it's the famblees that need domiciles of gigantic proportions. Much better to buy a house abroad, at least it'll ome without carpets! I fucking hate carpets! two faces puking
rockchick
This is one of the main reasons I left London.

London aint all that, and for what it costs to live there the quality of life is appalling. There are far nicer, safer, friendlier, cleaner and cheaper cities to live in, but unfortunately London is where all the jobs are. This is why my London-based friends stay there, and they all have a love/hate relationship with the city. Again, things are changing here as more people realise they would be better off elsewhere, even if they're fairly well-off:

New York Times article

I'll have to look for a new job when I finish my PhD and most of the places where I could work are in London, but the thought of living there again makes my blood run cold. I don't know why anyone would want to be "a slave to a mortgage" there, is being in a six-figure debt to a bank for 50 years really any better than paying someone else's mortgage for them when you're not tied to the place and don't have the stresses of repairs, maintenance etc?
screaming sausage
rockchick
This is one of the main reasons I left London.

London aint all that, and for what it costs to live there the quality of life is appalling. There are far nicer, safer, friendlier, cleaner and cheaper cities to live in, but unfortunately London is where all the jobs are. This is why my London-based friends stay there, and they all have a love/hate relationship with the city. Again, things are changing here as more people realise they would be better off elsewhere, even if they're fairly well-off:

New York Times article

I'll have to look for a new job when I finish my PhD and most of the places where I could work are in London, but the thought of living there again makes my blood run cold. I don't know why anyone would want to be "a slave to a mortgage" there, is being in a six-figure debt to a bank for 50 years really any better than paying someone else's mortgage for them when you're not tied to the place and don't have the stresses of repairs, maintenance etc?

I agree it's not all that. It used to be amazing in comparison to other places before the advent of the internet, but now that that's made the world somehow smaller in the sense that e.g. things you could only have bought in a specific place before are now just a mouse click away it's no longer that special. Of course there are great things, the Royal Opera House, Camden and Ministry of Sound being just a few, but it's slowly turning into a big circus. I think the same thing about NYC, a few good places but not worth the money in the long run.
I agree that there are cheaper cleaner places to live, which I did consider before deciding to eff off to Northeast Europe (everybody from there has decided to move to the UK but I, in typical renegade fashion, did the opposite), but just as the exodus article you linked to states it's the breeders that move there in droves. All the quaint little places like Cambridge and Bury St.Edmunds etc are overrun by famblees. It's worse than a health food store in Clapham on Saturday morning! I honestly don't think I'd last even a day in such a place!
I think that people have been so brainwashed by the constant mantra of 'must own property' that they've completely lost the plot. My last landlord in London was an asshole of epic proportions who wouldn't return my 2k deposit. The idiot was saddled with so much debt that he was left with no money at all, yet he 'owned' several properties. More like the properties pwned him.
Just off the top of my head here:

I knew a few Baby Boomers who left home at the age of 16 to eke out a living and succeeded. One's a woman, put herself through college, a single mother at the age of 18, eventually made good money, never went back home to live with Mommy and Daddy.

The second one, a guy, also college educated, owns his own business, owned rental properties, makes good money.

I am sure there's more stories like these out there, but why is it they succeeded where today's younger generation failed? Was it the coddling by their parunts? What gives? I am seriously curious about this subject.
That's just horrifying! I can't imagine still living at home. But my parent's are weird and abusive, maybe that's why.
Rent is such a waste of money... I lived in my car and a van at another point, keeping a storage unit and a gym membership for my stuff and showers. Now I own a few places, renting to others, but I picked a partner who is going places, and so we're aiming for early retirement. Not shockingly early, but better than anyone ever expected for me and probably him.
selidororous
I am sure there's more stories like these out there, but why is it they succeeded where today's younger generation failed? Was it the coddling by their parunts? What gives? I am seriously curious about this subject.

Quick and dirty list:

1. Almost anything that can be outsourced has, due to taxes and Federal buearacratic dumbassery. Only a few businesses have seriously heeded the resulting drop in quality when they replaced American workers with some half-literate Asian peasant with a grade-school education, hand them a script and call it good, and even fewer have reversed their decisions. Most just ignore the complaints or sling BS about it.

2. A newer trend is "insourcing" with robots and automated whatnots. The self-checkout stands at grocery stores are but the first of the wave; there are very serious discussions about bringing back restaurants that are almost totally bot-operated - something about the "automat" concept back in the 50's/60's. There is a very serious danger of the bottom rungs of the "ladder" being removed.

3. As previously mentioned, businesses are "accepting applications"...and promptly tossing them in the trash bin. In my own city I could not get hired for a fast-food job for years, and I got lucky with a call center that hires literally anyone with a pulse. That deserves it's own post later.

4. The housing market has totally gone off it's meds in the past 14 years alone. Banks got strongarmed into making loans to people who would never have qualified, and the "flip the house" thing was a mini-renactment of stock speculation in the 1930's, with equally disasterous results.
selidororous

I knew a few Baby Boomers who left home at the age of 16 to eke out a living and succeeded. One's a woman, put herself through college, a single mother at the age of 18, eventually made good money, never went back home to live with Mommy and Daddy...I am sure there's more stories like these out there, but why is it they succeeded where today's younger generation failed? Was it the coddling by their parunts? What gives? I am seriously curious about this subject.

I'm 64 and a Baby Boomer. The deal with us was that we couldn't get out of our parent's houses and get independent fast enough. Also, housing prices were cheaper then, and credit was easier to get. I bought my first house in 1969 for $10,500 - less money than the car I'm driving today is worth (a second-hand SUV). I leveraged the sale of that house into the sale of my "real" house in 1986, and then, when my husband and I split, used the money from *that* house to finance the house I own now.
Technically, my husband and I could live in an apartment (and we did for the first two years of our marriage). But most landlords in the States won't allow pets, and we have had cats since our first house. When we moved, it was fairly easy to sell a house because the late 90's economy was still going strong. Found a small house here--about 1100 sq ft not including the basement. I suppose too many people let their pets tear up their apartments, which kind of ruined it for responsible pet owners. Of course, kyds can mess up an apartment too, but that seems okayhysterical laughterz

It takes a child to raze a village.
rockchick
I agree it's not all that. It used to be amazing in comparison to other places before the advent of the internet

At first I loved London, and then all of the places I loved started closing down and being converted into "luxury apartments" and "exciting new retail developments". The north half of Spitalfields Market had a big "luxury goods" shopping centre ploughed right through it, the nearby Spitz music venue is now "luxury apartments", the King's Cross freight depot which had three clubs and hosted an annual music festival is now home to a massive Topshop and H&M, as is Camden, where a campaign narrowly stopped the Stables Market being knocked down so a few chain stores could be built on it. Even Battersea Power Station is being turned into shops and flats, all of which were sold construction even began, people are that obsessed with investing in London property... in short, it's getting more like one big Tesco Town every day- how many chain stores and "luxury apartments" do we really need when there's a shortage of affordable housing and people are buying less?

Another problem is that of people buying homes in lively places like Soho and Camden, knowing full well that they have clubs and bars and that people like to go out there and have fun, and then complaining about noise from the clubs "threatening to lower the value of their home" and getting the local council to shut them down. Obviously it's not young unchilded people making these complaints, and you can bet it's breeders who have boring quiet lives and want everyone else to suffer too. There are also the efforts developers make to accommodate famblees, like the plans to demolish the iconic skate park on the South Bank so it can be replaced with shops and faamblee restaurants.

The breeders should all just go and live in the suburbs and leave the interesting places for the rest of us to enjoy- that's what they used to do! I guess it's like breeders suddenly taking over music festivals- the parunts want to have their cake and eat it, living somewhere fashionable and fun but not to the point where other people's fun stops little Jacob and Poppy getting to sleep at 7pm.
selidororous

I knew a few Baby Boomers who left home at the age of 16 to eke out a living and succeeded. One's a woman, put herself through college, a single mother at the age of 18, eventually made good money, never went back home to live with Mommy and Daddy.

The second one, a guy, also college educated, owns his own business, owned rental properties, makes good money.

ex lurker
Graduating HS became the norm because of the Great Depression-there were no jobs, so the under 18s just completed school and got a diploma . Going to college became the norm because of the GI Bill post WW II , and it was the scarcity of college graduates that let so many GI Billers step into the middle class just because of a business admin degree. Because going to college became the norm, a college degree is no longer a guarantee of a job, much less of a career or financial stability. Trying telling people over 70 that, though. Too many of them "know" that 'young people these days are lazy and Don't Want To Put In Their Dues at a low pay, low prestige job so they can work their way up the ladder.' Try telling them how many people apply for every one of those low paid, low prestige jobs, how many places reject "over qualified " applicants with degrees or with no RL experience. Try telling them how many jobs are gone overseas (factory) or are done online overseas (medical billing, transcripts) or are being done by imported workers (healthcare ) or how many jobs have been automated ....Lots of them LIVED through these very changes in the 1970s, 1980s, but they still seem to want to believe that what they were told when they were in HS is Holy Writ.

“I was talking about children that have not been properly house-trained. Left to their own impulses and indulged by doting or careless parents almost all children are yahoos. Loud, selfish, cruel, unaffectionate, jealous, perpetually striving for attention, empty-headed, for ever prating or if words fail them simply bawling, their voices grown huge from daily practice: the very worst company in the world. But what I dislike even more than the natural child is the affected child, the hulking oaf of seven or eight that skips heavily about with her hands dangling in front of her -- a little squirrel or bunny-rabbit -- and prattling away in a baby's voice.”

― Patrick O'Brian, The Truelove

lib'-er-ty: the freedom given to you to make the wrong decision, based on the reasoned belief that you will normally make the right one.
"A foolish bid for independence?" Yeah, that's something we real adults refer to as "adulthood."

At age 30, my parents still beg me to move back home. I know my mom would cook every meal, wash my clothes, make my bed and buy me anything I want. But I'd never take her up on it. Why? Because I value my autonomy, even though I've been desperately poor and stressed beyond belief frequently since moving out at 18. (Also, because of a little thing called dignity). I'm very close with my mom...probably too close. But I still have my boundaries.

When you depend on someone financially--be it your parents, your spouse or the government-- you're never truly in control of your life. You have to honor their rules and wishes as if you were a child. In other words, living with your parents is like being emotionally stunted at the age of 15. Not attractive for a grown-ass man or woman.

And no, I'm not "just jealous" of your privileged lifestyle. I could easily live the same way but choose not to because I'm not an emotionally stunted mooch hooch.
ex lurker
I can't believe the ongoing financial collapse has become so bad that we are seeing a reversal of decades old progress, a regression to earlier patterns of living just for survival's sake . A lot of young people today are never going to have the opportunity to fulfill their dreams and ambitions: All they can do is (try to...) get A Job and hope for the best. :-(

So glad I stayed CF, not just so I didn't have the financial burden of children, but so I know I will not leave behind people who I suspect will face steadily deteriorating economic conditions over the next few decades. (Not to mention environmental, political, societal...) I wish I could go back and thank my younger self for doing at least one thing absolutely right.

*Graduating HS became the norm because of the Great Depression-there were no jobs, so the under 18s just completed school and got a diploma . Going to college became the norm because of the GI Bill post WW II , and it was the scarcity of college graduates that let so many GI Billers step into the middle class just because of a business admin degree. Because going to college became the norm, a college degree is no longer a guarantee of a job, much less of a career or financial stability. Trying telling people over 70 that, though. Too many of them "know" that 'young people these days are lazy and Don't Want To Put In Their Dues at a low pay, low prestige job so they can work their way up the ladder.' Try telling them how many people apply for every one of those low paid, low prestige jobs, how many places reject "over qualified " applicants with degrees or with no RL experience. Try telling them how many jobs are gone overseas (factory) or are done online overseas (medical billing, transcripts) or are being done by imported workers (healthcare ) or how many jobs have been automated ....Lots of them LIVED through these very changes in the 1970s, 1980s, but they still seem to want to believe that what they were told when they were in HS is Holy Writ.

Very well said. The fact these older people who just don't understand this are the ones running things anymore just adds to the problem.

Wages are stagnant and the price of housing and everything else just keeps going up. There aren't really a lot of good starting level positions out there anymore. Also, the idea of going to work somewhere and staying there until retirement hasn't been the reality in many years.

I heard it predicted nearly 30 years ago that multiple generations of families living in the same home, or families passing a house down to their children, and thier children passing it down to their children, would become more common because of increasing population and running out of space to put everyone. That prediction may be coming to pass.

I don't believe recent economic issues are caused it, but it may have sped up a process that has been going on for a long time.
Well, I find it...interesting...that on one hand it's all Doom and Gloom because no good jobs/no affordable housing/etc. but then also Everything's Fine Have Tons of Babies! confused smiley To me it's a strange and contradictory message.

I would like to add that these parents are doing their adult children a great disservice by coddling them and catering to their every need. What happens when the parent dies? These "kids" will have not built up any life skills and their future will be even more uncertain!

sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken
indecision may or may not be my problem
lisbeth
Well, I find it...interesting...that on one hand it's all Doom and Gloom because no good jobs/no affordable housing/etc. but then also Everything's Fine Have Tons of Babies! confused smiley To me it's a strange and contradictory message.

I think that this whole 'have baybees' thing is a remnant of religion in a secular society. If you asked people who make such statements why exactly you should have baybees they wouldn't know what to say because there is no reasoning behind their stattements. It's just something that is being inculcated in people, 'baybees=good' without ever questioning why it is that breeding is so wonderful. It's like this stupid societal requirement that you have to agree/pretend that baybees are cute and speshul whether you actually agree or not. Why do we have to congratulate people when they bake a loaf? I don't get it. So ok, your birth control failed and you didn't abort it, and now you want congratulations? Dafuq?
When I finished high school I was more than ready to move on. Decided to hit the road the summer before college and ended up snagging a job in the oil patch as a grinder. An opportunity presented it self when a rig broke down and no weldors were available to fix it. I jumped on the stick and low and behold I was deemed certifiable! I had done a lot of welding back home and took several classes including 5p pipe but never could afford the tests. Foreman sent me to get tested and get my certificate for pipe. Test came back as a pass, I was transferred to the pipe lining crew and tripled my wage. Spent 3 years pipe lining before I ever went back home to visit.

Definitely didn't feel the same. Parents were more than welcoming but just didn't feel normal anymore.

Ended up getting married and went to school for engineering . Got back into the oil industry as an explosives engineer. Been hopping around the world ever since. Would not have it any other way.

I believe there are still plenty of opportunities for young people looking to move up. You have to be willing to work hard, and I don't mean putting in your 9-5 flipping burgers. You need to learn a skill, something that people will pay you to do. You need to be willing to step in and get shit done when no one else will! You need to expect lots of +16 shifts. Net working is vital! And when your contacts ask you for help be willing to do what you can, next week you might be the one asking. One time a competitor had a kick at their rig and several people got hurt. I grab two other guys who were first responders and hauled ass down the road. We made the difference between those four guys living or dying. My foreman at the time read me the riot act but his manager told him to fuck off. The CEO of the competitor personally came out to the field and thanked us. Years later as a graduating engineer that same CEO came all the way to the university to offer me a job, anything I wanted, any where in the world.

I am sorry but taking out tens of thousands in loans to get a BA in LGBT Studies does not make any sense. What the hell do you do with that? I only bring that degree up because we had an interviewee come in last week for an HR position who had that exact major. She expected us to agree that field of study prepared her to deal with HR issues in a very rough and tumble industry. The roughnecks would have eaten her alive.
breakstuff

I am sorry but taking out tens of thousands in loans to get a BA in LGBT Studies does not make any sense. What the hell do you do with that? I only bring that degree up because we had an interviewee come in last week for an HR position who had that exact major. She expected us to agree that field of study prepared her to deal with HR issues in a very rough and tumble industry. The roughnecks would have eaten her alive.

90% of degree options should be culled anyway. For example, I know someone who did African language studies and traveled to Africa several times for his Phd about languages that don't exist. Sorry but who benefits from this kind of nonsense? It has no educational value and is merely there for people like this guy and his professor to get a paycheck while doing nothing and in order for them to put three letters behind their names for added prestige. I wonder who picked up the tab for all the travels and student grants...might it have been the taxpayer?
My mother insisted I go study 'litritcher' because that's what she did and she was convinced that a few tales about imaginary people held the answer to everything in life. Again, what are these degrees good for? If you want to learn a language you don't need university, actually it would even harm your learning process. By all means, read old books about people and events that never happened and have little or nothing in common with reality but don't pretend you need to spend years sitting on your ass in order to do so.
The same goes for creative writing and other things that don't belong in university like dance, acupuncture and other crunchy unscientific crap.
I get where many of these people are coming from. Many fields, technical writing comes to mind, could write their own ticket 10-15 years ago. A decent TW with a particular specialty could be getting six figures in short order. Today it is easier to outsource to temp agencies and most are laid off. When a company cuts costs, departments like marketing and PR are the first to be culled.

Writers of all sorts have it tough so it would be wise to rethink this career. I decided to try one of the freelancer sites as my recently founded company has a lull in clients. I discovered that they do not want quality, they want cheap. If you go to a PR firm, they will charge you 300 for a press release. My firm charged half that. These people don’t want to pay more than 20. They wanted entire novels ghostwritten for under 500 dollars and 40 Original, Never Been Published Smoothie Recipes for their cookbook and they will pay you 15 bucks. Oh and they need them in four days.

One of my runner friends has kids looking at college but did not know what they wanted to do. I said unless they plan on majoring in engineering, medicine or nursing not to waste the money. There are plenty of teachers, MBAs and artists who are out of work or doing the minimum wage thing.

Many don’t want to do the work though. They major in something interesting to them, but useless to the working world. For the oilfields (or any field), LGBT study is only part of a well-rounded HR person. She would not have made the cut based on that major alone.

They won’t move where the jobs are because all their family and friends are located where they are not. Even if you major in aerospace engineering, living in a small town nowhere near an airline, space station or airport won’t help you in the least.

They are unwilling to start at the bottom. When I retired from military service, I had both advanced education and skills that should have merited 75K+ easy. I had to settle for 52K because…no one was hiring in 2008.

Like Lisbeth states, they are not doing their kids any favors. When they die, these big babies will not have the first clue on what to do because at 40 they have been babied their whole lives. Add babies having babies and it is a recipe for disaster.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
From a bottle cap message on a Magic Hat #9 beer: Condoms Prevent Minivans
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I want to pick up a bus full of unruly kids and feed them gummi bears and crack, then turn them loose in Hobby Lobby to ransack the place. They will all be wearing T shirts that say "You Could Have Prevented This."
navi8orgirl
I get where many of these people are coming from. Many fields, technical writing comes to mind, could write their own ticket 10-15 years ago. A decent TW with a particular specialty could be getting six figures in short order. Today it is easier to outsource to temp agencies and most are laid off. When a company cuts costs, departments like marketing and PR are the first to be culled.

Writers of all sorts have it tough so it would be wise to rethink this career. I decided to try one of the freelancer sites as my recently founded company has a lull in clients. I discovered that they do not want quality, they want cheap. If you go to a PR firm, they will charge you 300 for a press release. My firm charged half that. These people don’t want to pay more than 20. They wanted entire novels ghostwritten for under 500 dollars and 40 Original, Never Been Published Smoothie Recipes for their cookbook and they will pay you 15 bucks. Oh and they need them in four days.

One of my runner friends has kids looking at college but did not know what they wanted to do. I said unless they plan on majoring in engineering, medicine or nursing not to waste the money. There are plenty of teachers, MBAs and artists who are out of work or doing the minimum wage thing.

Many don’t want to do the work though. They major in something interesting to them, but useless to the working world. For the oilfields (or any field), LGBT study is only part of a well-rounded HR person. She would not have made the cut based on that major alone.

They won’t move where the jobs are because all their family and friends are located where they are not. Even if you major in aerospace engineering, living in a small town nowhere near an airline, space station or airport won’t help you in the least.

They are unwilling to start at the bottom. When I retired from military service, I had both advanced education and skills that should have merited 75K+ easy. I had to settle for 52K because…no one was hiring in 2008.

Like Lisbeth states, they are not doing their kids any favors. When they die, these big babies will not have the first clue on what to do because at 40 they have been babied their whole lives. Add babies having babies and it is a recipe for disaster.

Writing and translating are the worst things ever at the moment. Who needs people to do the job when you've got all kinds of translating software and even the free ones work if your expectations aren't too high. Colleges are nothing but money-making operations anyway, there is very little there that even vaguely resembles knowledge.
Here in the UK the minimum wage of £6.31 per hour only applies to over-21's, people younger than that get a lower rate and those under 16 don't have any entitlement to any minimum wage at all. Until recently under-25's claiming Jobseeker's Allowance were forced to take on unpaid work or risk losing their benefits on the controversial "Workfare" scheme- and this was at employers like Tesco and Poundland who can afford to create jobs and pay people to do them. Various political parties have talked about cutting benefits for the under-25s, or even scrapping them entirely, with the explanation "they can just move back in with their parents". At the same time there's talk of scrapping National Insurance contributions but only for the under-21s, so those aged 22-25 could end up paying into the system for absolutely nothing.

There seems to be this idea that all young people have no real needs and generous parents who will be happy to help them out, and that all parents are alright with this. In reality a lot of people will have lost their parents young or will have abusive families they can't live with, and even in less extreme cases it can often make less sense for a young person to move back home if, say, they've gone to uni in London but their parents have retired to a quiet town 300 miles away and with a shortage of jobs- and of course it can be hugely demoralising. While those who can't afford to raise children shouldn't have them, I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that breeders should still have to do parenting when their spawn are in their twenties and should be taking responsibility for themselves.

It's a really horrible state of affairs, all established by wealthy MPs who can afford to throw money at their children, buy them homes and pull strings to get them into good jobs.

I said unless they plan on majoring in engineering, medicine or nursing not to waste the money.

I would add accounting to that list. A CPA can make good money. I would recommend only going to college if your degree qualifies you for a specific occupation. A general liberal arts degree isn't worth the money.

If I had kids today I would direct them to a trade. The world will always need plumbers, electricians and people to fix cars. If you show up and do the job you can make a decent living and it can't be contracted out to people in the Third World.
I agree. Occasionally I wish I had stayed in pipelining. I had a lot of fun doing it. Would be even more financially well off since I would not have lost four years of six fig income during college. But I am happy with how things turned out.

I was over at Manitwoc Crane a couple months ago looking at a special project I commissioned them to construct. I toured their facility and noticed most of their weldors are +55 years old. I asked them why and they said young people won't work for them or cant pass a wiz quiz. This company is offering 80k starting plus benes, the welding is done in a massive air conditioned shop, minimal 5p work. They pay for your training and give you up to a year to get your basic certification. But nobody is willing to put down the bong and pick up a stinger. What The Fuck!!!?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login