Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Stupid parents may be responsible for death of mt. lion

Posted by aliceblue 
Stupid parents may be responsible for death of mt. lion
September 08, 2014
Moo and Duh take 6 y.o. Loafleigh hiking in rugged terrain that is know to have wild animals and let their little fuck trophy run ahead of them. Lion tries to have Loafleigh for a snack and Duh and some other guy chase lion off. Now authorities are trying to kill the lion to test it for rabies.

WTF? Unless the lion exhibited symptoms of rabies just give Loafleigh his shots. From what the article says, the lion was just being a lion and trying to eat the weakest, most worthless member of the herd. Interestingly, the comment are almost all pro-lion.

LINK
Re: Stupid parents may be responsible for death of mt. lion
September 09, 2014
I read that article yesterday and it really, really annoyed me. Why do they need to bring kyds everywhere? Soon they'll let them out on the highway to play and jail all the drivers when the kyds get hit by cars. I hope they never find the lion. I would give the lion a medal for ridding the planet of another parasite!
September 09, 2014
The area is known as mountain lion territory. Not a good place to hike with "midgets". Information is widely available to those interested. Why not take the kids swimming in the Everglades this winter? Get a gator killed and some boots out of it ? :iws I lived in California nine years, and knew better than go alone in the woods.
September 09, 2014
I've done a fair bit of hiking in the US, mostly in Mountain Lion country and every single guide book, local equipment store, notice board and local hillbilly all say "don't let young children go ahead of you or let them drop behind you".

Whilst not endangered, they are rarely seen (I never have). You go in to its territory and get eaten, your fault.
September 09, 2014
Ugh, another instance of people thinking the backcountry as some extension of their backyard, where they only have to worry about bees or mosquitoes, and the only cats around are house cats. You go out into some hiking area, it's your job to educate yourself about the risks & how to mitigate those risks.

I have hiked in areas known for cougar activity, and the trailhead invariably had a sign warning all hikers to be alert, stick very close together, and keep children VERY close by.

If the lion is being super-aggressive beyond normal cougar behavior, and showing signs of rabies, then maybe it's time to take drastic action. If it's a cougar that's being a cougar (picking off small, weak ones who stray from the more powerful group), then PEOPLE need to adjust their behavior. If they're just crying OMG RABIEZ, then just give the kid the shot series. Frankly, that's a safer bet than waiting while investing the time in hunting down the cougar in question.
September 09, 2014
Trailheads usually have some kind of signs posted about potentially dangerous animals. Not far from Boulder, CO, there's a place where bears, cougars,and rattlesnakes show up near the trail. Yeah, a little scary, but you at least know what you might encounter. By all means, though, bring the kyds--it might be wild Disneyland!smile rolling left righteyes2

It takes a child to raze a village.
September 09, 2014
Does anybody remember this video?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=M6sx7XLc4Hg

A big cat will try to eat a baby. It's what they do. Why punish the cat for doing what comes naturally to it?
September 09, 2014
cj
Trailheads usually have some kind of signs posted about potentially dangerous animals. Not far from Boulder, CO, there's a place where bears, cougars,and rattlesnakes show up near the trail. Yeah, a little scary, but you at least know what you might encounter. By all means, though, bring the kyds--it might be wild Disneyland!smile rolling left righteyes2

Are you talking about the trail not far from Table Mesa? I've been on that one with a friend. Beautiful area to go hiking but yeah it's wild country all right.
September 10, 2014
Trailheads usually have some kind of signs posted about potentially dangerous animals. Not far from Boulder, CO, there's a place where bears, cougars,and rattlesnakes show up near the trail. Yeah, a little scary, but you at least know what you might encounter. By all means, though, bring the kyds--it might be wild Disneyland!smile rolling left righteyes2[/quote]

Are you talking about the trail not far from Table Mesa? I've been on that one with a friend. Beautiful area to go hiking but yeah it's wild country all right.[/quote]

That's the one! It is beautiful but very rugged.

It takes a child to raze a village.
I just read that the mountain lion has indeed been tracked and killed:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2751529/Silicon-Valley-mountain-lion-viciously-mauled-6-year-old-boy-captured-killed.html
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login