Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Halloween candy? Don't mind if I do! But none for Sprogley.

Posted by randomcfchick 
Halloween candy? Don't mind if I do! But none for Sprogley.
November 01, 2014
I was at the store when I remembered that today is November 1st, one of the sacred Cheap Chocolate Days of the year. smiling smiley

So I checked out the half-price Halloween candy. I got there early enough that there will still lots of my faves available. Didn't wanna be a pig and buy one of each, so I was standing there deciding when Mom with preschooler age sprog rolls up.

Sprog started an incoherent babble-and-point that basically came down to "WANT DAT! WANT DAT! MOMMY! WANT DAT!". She shushed the kid, but the kid would have none of it & kept pointing and jabbering. Eventually she said, "No, we're not getting that one, we have to get one that Daddy likes, too."

The candy the sprog was pointing to happened to be Reeses, one of my faves. Add to that the fact that I like tweaking bratty kids, and I was sold. I very calmly and deliberately picked up a bag, which made Sproggums VERY unhappy. As a result, I'm pretty sure they left the aisle without getting any candy.

Sometimes I just get in an evil mood. I'm a horrible person. But tweaking tantruming brats is fun sometimes. Anyone else get that way sometimes?
Re: Halloween candy? Don't mind if I do! But none for Sprogley.
November 01, 2014
I think I love you.

You're evil and it's fucking awesome.

~~~~~~~~~~~
I miss my little feather baby.
November 01, 2014
drake
I think I love you.

I second this! thumbs upwink
November 01, 2014
If the store would have allowed it, I would have opened the candy and eaten it IN FRONT OF THE TOADLER.

~~~~~~~~~~~
I miss my little feather baby.
November 01, 2014
I also bought bags of my favorites from a store's discounted Halloween stuff. Two bags of orange colored white chocolate KitKats and a big bag of Milky Ways, Three Musketeers, and Snickers. Yay chocolatey goodness!

lol at teasing the kid. She most likely has a stuffed pumpkin pail at home. She doesn't need more candy! I don't see kids throwing tantrums about something they want which is also something I want to purchase to give me a chance to mess with them by picking it up and walking off with it.
November 01, 2014
I was out earlier with a friend. It was a mission. I wanted to go to this one small market because they have this hot mustard I like. She's down for that, get some cheap produce also, and then we may as well stop at that Walgreens right there and check out the Halloween mark downs.

Walgreens was virtually PICKED CLEAN. There was hardly any candy left. And very few costumes and 'accessories'. We got 2 small candies each. They were 50% off.

So then - let's stop at the Jewel on the other corner - let's see what they have.

smile rolling left righteyes2 Picked clean, hardly *anything* I saw NO candy (it might've been in a diff spot) - and their 'markdowns' consisted of - as example, I looked at this candle - it was $8.99 - marked down to - $8.09. WOW. A whole 10% off. smile rolling left righteyes2

I have a hunch that many of these stores are selling off their Holiday Leftovers to wholesalers. You don't see the clearance goodies like you used to. And they don't mark it down like they used to either. You used to get stuff 50% off the first couple days, they'd quickly drop it to 75% off and then mark the stuff down for next to nothing - like a big bag of candy for 25 cents.
There were plenty of pickins too, lots of leftovers. Now I notice that most stores have very little Holiday Clearance. And it can't be disappearing that fast at 10, 25% off. They have to be taking the bulk of it and either selling it to lot buyers - or shipping it back to their own warehouses.

Well, that's good for my diet, anyway! I do like the 'things' though too. I like candy but I don't lust for it. I am more interested in the 'things'. Holiday Themed things such as candles, practical things you can use such as dish towels, pot holders, dishes - yeah for 25 cents I don't care that it has a ghost or Santa face on it, dries dishes just the same, or can be used for many other things.

Now you can't find anything like this. It's very slim pickins. Candles "marked down" to $8.09. BOO!
sad smiley

I'm glad you got this candy revenge Random, it makes me feel a little better grinning smiley
Those HOGS always take all the good candy (and stuff) too!
November 01, 2014
mumofsixbirds
drake
I think I love you.

I second this! thumbs upwink

:satan Why, thank you! It's a fun hobby. Once I even paused after taking the candy bar to allow the kid time to process what I was doing (disguised this as checking the price tag), then leaned in and picked up a second one. That day was evilicious!

This store had the GOOD STUFF! And by my estimate it was marked down to about half price. I haven't come across this type of deal for a while...a lot of the other places I've been in the past on Cheap Chocolate Day only have the crappy candy that no one wants. I think Zzelda may be right...they may sell the good stuff to wholesalers.

Toddler-tweaking is only a sometimes hobby for me. Partly because it requires being around them (I really have no use for that developmental stage at all), and partly because if I indulged that part of my dark side EVERY time I saw a 3 year old in meltdown on the candy aisle, I'd weigh four thousand pounds. Mostly I just zip away, being glad that I only have to deal with that kid for two minutes, while the parents have signed up for YEARS of it.
November 02, 2014
The way I see it, you did Sproggums a favor by forcing its moo to give it somewhat of a punishment (i.e. no candy) for its behavior. shrug

I don't have low self-esteem. That's a mistake. I have low esteem for everyone else.
-Daria
November 02, 2014
Hahaha, awesome. bouncing and laughing At least Moo didn't give in to the whining?

I think Zzelda may be on to something. Yesterday I went to check out the clearance Halloween candy and it was only 30% off at Target so I decided to go to Meijer (a chain in the Midwest similar to Wal-Mart). They had virtually nothing left except for store brand candy corn so I went to the other Meijer, which was mostly picked over too, though I did get 3 bags of the good stuff they had left. Last year I went to Meijer a day or two after Halloween and they still had TONS of choices. shrug
November 02, 2014
I'd be willing to bet that places like Grocery Outlet buy up all the good stuff from any store that offers it. I was back at that same store and short-cut my way down the same aisle to get to the produce area (honeycrisp apples 1.68 a pound!!). There was still some Reeses, Hershey, and Mounds/Almond Joy left, along with other stuff. So apparently this place just liquidates that stock themselves. The grocery store a mile down the road is pretty picked over...mostly candy corn and those weird pumpkin candies. I bet theirs was sold off to Grocery Outlet or a place like that, because there was plenty left on Halloween.

Yeah, at least the mom didn't give in to the whining. I left the candy aisle before they did, but it was looking like Sproggums wasn't gonna get any candy.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login