Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I guess the CF are not productive

Posted by cfdavep 
I guess the CF are not productive
November 01, 2014
http://www.vox.com/2014/11/1/7135137/study-mothers-are-more-productive-than-non-moms-but-kids-still

According to this article the "types of women" who are mothers tend to be more productive
Re: I guess the CF are not productive
November 01, 2014

So 29-to-33-year-old childless-and-married ladies should get cracking.

So 29-to-33-year-old childless-and-married ladies should get cracking saving for retirement.
I fixed it.
November 01, 2014
I'd like to know what is meant by "productive?" Working more hours? Bringing home a bigger paycheck? WTF?

Jumping to the link inside the article makes it a bit clearer, but also skews the validity of the article

It's important to point out that the authors are examining a very narrow group of women with privileged circumstances. Parenthood was likely planned for many them, with benefits such as maternity leave and paid sick time. They can also better afford to pay for resources like reliable childcare that allow them to work longer. Low-income or low-skilled mothers often face a very different working environment.

Well, yes, if you want to call these women more "productive," the enabling tools certainly accomplishes that, but to me, that muddles the definition of "mothering." These women are trading hours that they'd be involved in child care for hours that are spent tending their careers or performing work tasks.

Take the enabling tools away from those women, and would they be out-producing the childfree? I doubt it.

And the last line of the linked article is pure breeder blather

But does the reason really matter? The takeaway here is that working moms more than earn that title. You should wear it with pride.

They totally took a crap on the validity of their study with that last shot.
November 01, 2014
More productive my ass! Most of the women I work with have kids, and that's almost all I hear about. To add to the misery, one mother's child is special needs and she's always on the phone with her mom about the kid. How about hanging up and ya know, actually working? Bah.
Anonymous User
November 01, 2014
...Wait. Wait. Lemme see if I've got this straight. Mommies are more productive?? So, according to this logic:

- neeeeeding to arrive late and leave early because her pwecious has school/ special needs/ a hangnail

- bringing a remnant of every single virus her little shitbags pick up, for the rest of the workplace to receive and enjoy

- being regularly on the phone with Shitleigh/ baby daddy/ a counselor/ a parent/ etc., like bitchyauthor mentioned

and/or

- using the workplace as a real-life GoFundMe for pwecious' myriad fundraising campaigns (and/or as a pool for gift-giving suckers whenever she's baking a fresh loaf)

...are NOT cutting into workplace productivity, and in fact have the opposite effect!

Wow.

God damn... give me some of whatever those "research" twunts are smoking! :satan
November 01, 2014
This is straight up PROPAGANDA.

Why is an obscure Fed Reserve Bank involved in such 'research'? There is no point of that, thus - it's something 'funneled through' them / has their stamp on it - to make it look 'official'.

The "Research Paper" title:

"Parenthood and Productivity of Highly Skilled Labor:
Evidence from the Groves of Academe "

The Groves of Academe?

What is this? A Fantasy novel? I work in the Mfg. sector - I may as well quote Pink Floyd's Animals in it's entirety to describe this arena. Which *would be accurate*. BUT - that ain't gonna fly for no 'serious paper'. Fanciful ideas are verboten in 'serious research'.

People who actually work in Academia would say different as well. I and many people I know crapped out at the Master's degree level - some of us may have gone on to Phd's and maybe even 'stayed in' - but we saw the writing on the wall. Educated people are not stupid. I know people with Ivy Sci MS's working for slave wages as Adjuncts. That's the reality of The Academe. Even if you have a Phd. You'll be making 30, 40K per year - IF you are lucky. You might do better in retail. Or truck driving.

But wait - somehow - late 20s / early 30s females are going to be working as Economic Academians? Really? WHERE???

And that's how you can tell that this is pitched at those 'below' this level. Those who envision maybe being such an Academian.
Those who are completely unaware of the realities of all this. The people who worked hard for that Jr. College Literature degree who fancy themselves a Professor ~ someday ~

IMO this is STRAIGHT UP BREEDING PROPAGANDA.
November 02, 2014
My university gives you an extra year to finish your PhD per child that you have. If breeders are so much more productive than the rest of us, surely they should get one less year per child?

More productive...once you give them all sorts of unfair advantages.

I get the feeling that high wage earners are just trying to stay away from the screaming mess at home, whereas the CF can actually enjoy work-life balance because our home lives don't suck.
November 02, 2014
Back in my (full-time) working days, I often stayed at the office after 6 PM. I would usually see who was still around and it was always those like me without kids at home. The office always became nice and quiet after 5 PM and I found that last ~hour a very productive one, often my most productive one. The phone didn't ring, the mainframe computer system ran my programs (I wrote, tested, and maintained most of my division's programs) very quickly due to low system usage.

Staying that late also made my commute home a little easier because the trains were less crowded between 6 PM and 7:30 PM. I hated getting home that late so I didn't stay after 6 PM all the time, maybe 1 or 2 days a week. But I did like those very productive hours when I needed the calm, quiet atmosphere at the office. (Then again, I like the calm, quiet atmosphere at home now that I have been retired for the last 6 years!) smiling smiley
November 02, 2014

"[O]ur results are sensitive to survivor bias, i.e., women who become most unproductive and quit the profession after becoming mothers are not included in our sample,"

Well, duh. This alone skews the study by a LOT.
Not too long ago, I saw this study cited in an article titled "Mothers are more productive at work than childless women", or something along these lines. smile rolling left righteyes2 It's not in English, otherwise I'd have linked it here. Some of the comments infuriated me. One woman stated that she avoids employing childed women (in favor of CL/CF and empty-nesters), since moos tend to be late for work, leave early and spend a lot of time on the phone checking on their spawn. One of the comments was, and I kid you not: "I wish you a looooooot of children. :***** ".

yurble
More productive...once you give them all sorts of unfair advantages.

I get the feeling that high wage earners are just trying to stay away from the screaming mess at home, whereas the CF can actually enjoy work-life balance because our home lives don't suck.

This X 100000.

I don't have low self-esteem. That's a mistake. I have low esteem for everyone else.
-Daria
November 02, 2014
Zzelda
This is straight up PROPAGANDA.

I had this same thought after reading the first sentence of the article:

Women, you really can have both a family and a fulfilling career.

"Really ladies, you really really can. Go on now, it'll be ok. Just drink the kool aid."

Like hell.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login