Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Abortion is a Social Good. So stand up an say it (slate article)

Posted by t. 
Abortion is a Social Good. So stand up an say it (slate article)
October 14, 2014
Well. Here is a thing I agree 100% with:

Actually Smart Author

In 2012 when the Susan G. Komen Foundation pulled funding from Planned Parenthood, Planned Parenthood responded by explaining that 90 percent of what it does is preventive care. Many writers sympathetic to Planned Parenthood repeated that line (including in Slate) without realizing how defensive it sounded. In the years since Roe v. Wade, in fact, the left has time and again signaled retreat—a point my colleague Will Saletan also emphasizes in his 2004 book, Bearing Right: How Conservatives Won the Abortion War. “Safe, legal and rare,” “Permit but discourage”—these updated slogans have left the pro-choice side advocating the neurotic position that you can have an abortion but only if you feel “really really bad about it,” Pollitt writes.

(...)

Pollitt tests the logic of this position in many ways. She uses the simple principle advocated by U.K. feminist writer Caitlin Moran: “And are the men doing this, as well?” The answer there is, of course not. We would never expect a man to drop everything and accept a life of “dimmed hope” because of a single ejaculation.

Then there’s the Europe comparison, especially useful when discussing matter of American sex. Europeans do in fact have stricter abortion cutoffs. In Germany, for example, it’s 12 weeks after conception. But those exist in a non-neurotic atmosphere, where the procedure is readily available at hospitals, where contraception is everywhere and encouraged, and where sex ed doesn’t teach abstinence. In the U.S., by contrast, the increasing restrictions and lack of access to abortion clinics, and the culture of shame and regret around sex, mean that many women—especially if they are poor or young or live in the South—end up waiting longer than they should, until they get desperate.

Here is the article:
http://www.slate.com/articles/double_x/doublex/2014/10/katha_pollitt_s_pro_reclaiming_abortion_rights_reviewed.html

And here is the book she talks about. It is in my to-read list smiling smiley

Of course there are some 5.2k comments of enraged pro-liars who bellows how evil the infanticides are. :satan Blah blah blah. Still the woman is 100% right

“I was talking about children that have not been properly house-trained. Left to their own impulses and indulged by doting or careless parents almost all children are yahoos. Loud, selfish, cruel, unaffectionate, jealous, perpetually striving for attention, empty-headed, for ever prating or if words fail them simply bawling, their voices grown huge from daily practice: the very worst company in the world. But what I dislike even more than the natural child is the affected child, the hulking oaf of seven or eight that skips heavily about with her hands dangling in front of her -- a little squirrel or bunny-rabbit -- and prattling away in a baby's voice.”

― Patrick O'Brian, The Truelove

lib'-er-ty: the freedom given to you to make the wrong decision, based on the reasoned belief that you will normally make the right one.
Freakonomics on Abortion

This is a good video; there is a social consequence when it comes to mass production of children who are poor and unwanted. And it isn't good.
Re: Abortion is a Social Good. So stand up an say it (slate article)
October 15, 2014
StudioFiftyFour
Freakonomics on Abortion

This is a good video; there is a social consequence when it comes to mass production of children who are poor and unwanted. And it isn't good.

Yep. Once upon a time lots of those children would die of childhood disease or malnutrition or suchlike. If they got to adulhood, they would either be prostitutes or soldiers. But now...

“I was talking about children that have not been properly house-trained. Left to their own impulses and indulged by doting or careless parents almost all children are yahoos. Loud, selfish, cruel, unaffectionate, jealous, perpetually striving for attention, empty-headed, for ever prating or if words fail them simply bawling, their voices grown huge from daily practice: the very worst company in the world. But what I dislike even more than the natural child is the affected child, the hulking oaf of seven or eight that skips heavily about with her hands dangling in front of her -- a little squirrel or bunny-rabbit -- and prattling away in a baby's voice.”

― Patrick O'Brian, The Truelove

lib'-er-ty: the freedom given to you to make the wrong decision, based on the reasoned belief that you will normally make the right one.
October 15, 2014
Even forced-birthers tout the European model as being superior because of strict 12-16 week cutoff dates. Which is completely disingenuous on their part because of the no-nonsense sex and contraception education that goes along with it they find 'morally' problematic. OMGZZZzzz if we teach kids about sex they'll have seeeexxxxx auuuugghghgh. You know, the usual authoritarian fundi-servative freak-out.

Not to mention the fact that they would never, EVAR, compromise at 12-16 weeks on demand. They'd keep right on whining and agitating for no weeks, and everybody knows it. That's also how we know it has nothing to do with 'saving babies' and everything to do with policing what kind of sex women have; and if they don't like how you're doing it, they'll do everything in their power to make you a criminal for it.
"... 5.2k comments of enraged pro-liars who bellows how evil the infanticides are. Smoking Satan Blah blah blah. Still the woman is 100% right..."

Where exactly are you seeing those comments? I can no longer locate the comments on that site, single page or 2 page versions.
October 18, 2014
I was driving down the road today and saw a bumper sticker that said "pro choice is no choice for the unborn" i wanted to say "pro life is no life for the woman"
Wow really good article! I also agree 100%

If the pro-choice side wants to get some moral ground back, it could advocate for a more equal kind of family planning. Right now, college-educated women have babies when they are ready. They wait until they have a degree and they are usually married. Poor women, meanwhile, are what Isabel Sawhill, in her new book Generation Unbound, calls “drifters,” meaning they drift into parenthood without thinking about it that much. The result, argues Sawhill, is a new generation of women who are struggling and children who are growing up in poverty. Sawhill wants the left to pick up a “new ethic of responsible parenthood.” That means urging women to wait until they are a little more settled and can sustain a stable relationship before they have children. “The old social norm was: ‘Don’t have a child outside marriage,’ ” she writes in her New York Times op-ed. The new one needs to be: “Don’t have a child until you and your partner are ready to be parents.”
November 07, 2014
Next to the icons for facebook and twitter there is a maroon icon with a speech bubble. Click on that and the comments page will load (hopefully).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login