Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

$900,000 hospital bill after sluicing on vacation

Posted by rudeawakening 
$900,000 hospital bill after sluicing on vacation
December 13, 2014
I don't recall if this was mentioned here before—I can't find it, but if it has, forgive me.

A piggo from Canada travels to Hawaii and goes into premature labor on the trip. She was on bed rest for six weeks, then the loaf was in the NICU for two months. Saskatchewan (where they're from) and Hawaii have paid part of the bill but the couple still has to pay $900,000. Needless to say, the pahrunts are lowing that they shouldn't have to pay the bill.

This story is a month old but I just got an email from Change.org asking me to sign a petition to make the health insurance company pay. eye rolling smiley

Jennifer Huculak and her husband Darren Kimmel, both of Humboldt, Saskatchewan, bought travel health insurance to be safe — but then their claim was denied.

“We were mortified,” Kimmel told TODAY Parents about the moment the couple found out about the huge bill.

Huculak was 24 weeks pregnant when she and Kimmel flew to Hawaii in October 2013. She was cleared to travel by her doctor and the couple bought a travel insurance package for their trip through Saskatchewan Blue Cross, Kimmel said. (In Canada, health-care costs like prenatal care, labor and delivery are all covered through universal health care provided by the federal government.)

“Jennifer looked this lady in the eye and said, ‘So I’m covered?’ And this lady looked at her and said, ‘Yes, you’re covered. Have a good holiday.’ And the holiday turned into a staycation,” Kimmel told TODAY Parents.

Huculak’s water suddenly broke two days into the vacation. She was put on bed rest in a Honolulu hospital for six weeks, and gave birth to her daughter Reece on Dec. 10. The premature baby girl spent two months in the neonatal intensive care unit.

Huculak had a bladder infection a month before the trip to Hawaii, but her doctor in Canada and the doctors who treated Huculak in Honolulu said it wouldn’t have caused her water to break, Kimmel said.

Story here
Re: $900,000 hospital bill after sluicing on vacation
December 13, 2014
Normally, I'm not a breeder pleaser, but in this case I'd say the preggo was in the right. She did everything right. She got travel insurance, just in case. She was told that she was covered. It's not as if she did nothing, dropped the kid on vacation, and then tried to weasel out of paying the bill. Yeah, it came premature and cost a fortune, but that's why she bought travel insurance. Insurance is trying to use pregnancy as a pre-existing condition, to avoid paying the huge bill. In this case, I say that the insurance company is the one trying to weasel out of a valid claim.

What if that was a CF person who bought travel insurance, had a heart attack while on vacation, and spent 3 weeks in ICU? Insurance would be obligated to pay. Being preggers doesn't change the fact that insurance is trying to avoid paying a claim, whether it's a baby, a heart attack, or anything else. The insurance company is a POS in this case.

I am also wondering how they can deny the claim, when USA insurance laws forbid using a so-called pre-existing condition to deny a valid claim. This couple is being screwed.

Welcome to America! sad smiley
December 13, 2014
Yeah, I think I'd fight it as well because it may impact other travelers if the insurance company gets away with that crap.

That being said - traveling when you are 2/3 gone in your pregnancy? I know that, medically, it is feasible, but lord ... who'd want to waddle around on their vacation?
December 14, 2014
The exclusions section on the SBC' Travel Insurance site says:

Saskatchewan Blue Cross will not pay any benefit or accept any
liability (even if premiums have been received and/or accepted
by Saskatchewan Blue Cross) for:
1. A ny Covered Person if it is subsequently determined that
he/she:
• was travelling while pregnant and any portion of this Policy
falls after the thirty-second (32nd) week of gestation

So the portion that fell between her 24 weeks at the start of the holiday and the 32nd ought be covered, yes? Any portion of the pregnancy related care after 32 weeks would not be covered by these terms. I wonder if they asked if the policy covered the mother only or the mother and foetus/newborn before they travelled.

I do feel for them. That is a massive bill that very, very few people would be able to pay and I know that it would derail my life if suddenly dealing with such a burden. But that is why I would not rely on a "yeah, you'll be right" from a travel insurance agent but would read that thing very carefully.
December 15, 2014
Dorisan
That being said - traveling when you are 2/3 gone in your pregnancy? I know that, medically, it is feasible, but lord ... who'd want to waddle around on their vacation?

A woman who realises this is the last time she'll ever be able to enjoy any freedom, ever? winking smiley

Seriously, I'm on the side of the breeders here. It would be different if they had been entitled parunts travelling uninsured and then expecting the state to cough up for them, but they sound like a rare responsible couple who actually took precautions (apart from that one, ha!). I find it hard to drum up sympathy for breeders over the predicaments they choose for themselves, but even harder to feel sorry for greedy insurance companies, especially ones who benefit from the American healthcare system. I hope the insurers don't get away with this because this is something which affects us all, whether we breed or not.
December 15, 2014
Count me in for the breeders' side. I did the math: she was 24 weeks pregnant when she flew to Hawaii (covered), water broke 2 days into the trie (covered), bed rest for six weeks (covered) and gave birth December 10...assuming this was the six weeks on BR, the baby was born at 30 weeks.

She never made it to week 32.

However, the expiration date concerns me...if it was a nonpregnant person who suffered an automobile accident would this mean they are not covered?

And the preexisting condition is a joke. She was pregnant. They said she was covered (as they took her money for "travel insurance." ) The insurance rider says she is covered up to 32 weeks.

Are they seriously using a UTI to weasel out of paying the bill?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
From a bottle cap message on a Magic Hat #9 beer: Condoms Prevent Minivans
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I want to pick up a bus full of unruly kids and feed them gummi bears and crack, then turn them loose in Hobby Lobby to ransack the place. They will all be wearing T shirts that say "You Could Have Prevented This."
December 15, 2014
navi8orgirl
Count me in for the breeders' side. I did the math: she was 24 weeks pregnant when she flew to Hawaii (covered), water broke 2 days into the trie (covered), bed rest for six weeks (covered) and gave birth December 10...assuming this was the six weeks on BR, the baby was born at 30 weeks.

She never made it to week 32.

However, the expiration date concerns me...if it was a nonpregnant person who suffered an automobile accident would this mean they are not covered?

And the preexisting condition is a joke. She was pregnant. They said she was covered (as they took her money for "travel insurance." ) The insurance rider says she is covered up to 32 weeks.

Are they seriously using a UTI to weasel out of paying the bill?

Same here.

She did everything right, was cowered, had shit luck and now the insurance is trying to weasel out. Well, though luck. Insuring is your job.

“I was talking about children that have not been properly house-trained. Left to their own impulses and indulged by doting or careless parents almost all children are yahoos. Loud, selfish, cruel, unaffectionate, jealous, perpetually striving for attention, empty-headed, for ever prating or if words fail them simply bawling, their voices grown huge from daily practice: the very worst company in the world. But what I dislike even more than the natural child is the affected child, the hulking oaf of seven or eight that skips heavily about with her hands dangling in front of her -- a little squirrel or bunny-rabbit -- and prattling away in a baby's voice.”

― Patrick O'Brian, The Truelove

lib'-er-ty: the freedom given to you to make the wrong decision, based on the reasoned belief that you will normally make the right one.
December 15, 2014
The fault appears to lie with the insurance company rather than the breeders, so this story is largely irrelevant to CFers.
December 15, 2014
yurble
The fault appears to lie with the insurance company rather than the breeders, so this story is largely irrelevant to CFers.

Not necassarily. If the company gets away with this, they might be bold enough to do worse sort of scams in the future.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login